“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

You added Iberostar Grand Rose Hall to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Road | Little River, Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rose Hall
Grove City, Pennsylvania
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall with a vow renewal on the beach. Janielle, the resort wedding coordinator, was fantastic!! Every detail was well organized and couldn't have been more perfect. Everything was done via email prior to our arrival and was over-the-top!! Janielle was extremely pleasant, professional and easy to work with. We highly recommend working with Janielle for your destination wedding or vow renewal!
The resort staff was very friendly and courteous and addressed us by name! The private dinner offered on the beach was absolutely fabulous! The spa massages were great! We did not experience any of the "snobbish" attitudes previously mentioned in other reviews. We have been traveling to other resorts for the past 7 years and this resort is well above the others! We will definitely be returning to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall next year as well! Absolute paradise!

Room Tip: Our room #6318 was on the 3rd floor with an oceanfront view - perfect!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. It was an honor to have been able to host you on your 25th Wedding Anniversary. We were grateful to hear that you were satisfied with the exceptional service of our Wedding Coordinators. We look forward to welcoming you back and trust that you will not hesitate to tell your friends and family about our hotel.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I spent Columbus Day weekend at the Grand Hotel. Let me preface this by saying this was our first time at an all inclusive resort and I do consider us to be pretty "snobbish" when it comes to our accommodations.

We stayed in room 5326 on the 3rd floor, it was an ocean front room. It was a corner room which was very nice because the balcony had two views, one of the pool and one of the beach/ocean. We did ask if we had one of the better rooms and the check in people said all the rooms are the same, the only difference is the view/balcony. While walking through the hallways we did look into any rooms that were being cleaned, and it seems to be true, every room had the exact same layout and decor. We were escorted to our room by the bellhop, who also escorted another couple to their room. A few minutes after getting to the room the butler came to introduce himself.

The Room:
Like I said, the room had a great view and balcony. I really don't have any complaints about the room. When you first enter, the bathroom is on the right and all the closets to the left, then you enter the bedroom/living area. One nice feature is that there's a door leading into the bedroom, so you have two doors protecting you from hallway noise. I thought the bed was very comfortable and clean, they do have a pillow menu but the pillows they had were fine. I do sleep with a fan and the butler was able to provide one for the room. There's a sunken living area with a table, two chairs, a daybed and coffee table. Then sliding glass door out to the balcony. Both the balcony and living area have ceiling fans which was nice. All the balconies have swings, they aren't too comfortable but it's a nice/different feature. Ours had another daybed, I didn't see what the other balconies had though. They also have a nice feature on the balcony, a drying rack for your bathing suits.
The bathroom was very nice, two sinks, one on each side of the room. A stand up shower with a rain shower head, a Jacuzzi, and of course a toilet. I have two complaints about the bathroom, the shower had no shelf for your toiletries and I found the lighting in the bathroom to be very poor. But overall the bathroom was very clean and they provide plenty of towels.

The Grounds:
This was the highlight of the trip - the grounds were very nice, very well taken care of. The pools were nice as well. There's one pool with a swim up bar, one with a volleyball net and basketball net, and a third pool seems to be the "quiet" pool. All of the pools are lined with lounge chairs and then there's an area with beach beds. There are two areas of the beach with groupings of natural umbrellas, I think they're called palapas. I felt like they were way to close to each other, but it was a slow weekend when we were there so it wasn't an issue.

The Food:
This was the most disappointing part. We thought the food was horrible. We had read other reviews that recommended booking your restaurants when you first got there so that's the first thing we had the butler do. We were offered 3 different restaurants, surf and turf, italian, and japanese. The nightly buffet was closed while we were there. We wanted to do the italian the first night, surf and turf on night two and end with the japanese on the 3rd night. The butler left the room to make our reservations. Came back a few minutes later telling us he could only get us into the surf and turf on night #1 and could only get us in at 6:30, then the Italian for night 2 at 8 and Japanese on the last night for 7:30. He gives you a receipt for each reservation.
We had room service breakfast each morning, but had to follow that up with the buffet two of the mornings because the room service food was so bad - everything had a rubber consistency and all the breads were stale.
We did buffet lunches at the restaurant on the beach - not one thing was appetizing.
The best meal we had while in Jamaica was at Margaritaville in town and at the airport.
Again, I am a snob when it comes to food. I typically don't like places like Applebees or Fridays. If I wanted a good meal I'd go to Morton's Steakhouse.
We arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation to the Italian restaurant and they were able to seat us, there were plenty of empty tables.
One the last night while we were walking to the Japanese place we realized what the deal was, they only had one restaurant open each night. The Japanese restaurant is right next to the surf and turf restaurant and it was completely shut down that night.
We had also seen a "gourmet" restaurant listed but the butler told us not to try that, without any explanation - I'm guessing maybe they were renovating. I would have preferred they just told us the truth, but I guess not everyone appreciates the truth. And I'm only speculating that they have one restaurant open each night.

The staff:
Overall everyone was very nice. The Jamaicans are a very happy bunch. Everyone greeted us with a smile.
I feel the butler service is a sham, I'd much rather use a concierge for reservation services/recommendations.
Another service I thought was a complete waste was the wine connoisseur service. They only offer white and red wine with the all inclusive package so they have two wine guys to recommend wines to have with your meal. Neither one asked what we had ordered, I always thought certain wines should be paired with certain foods. The only information one of them offered was that the wine we had ordered had to be kept at a certain temperature - he didn't offer up any info on how they keep it at the temperature...

Activities:
They have a beach hut with snorkel equipment, catamarans, and kayaks. You're only allowed to use each item for an hour a day, not sure what happens after that hour.
They have shows/music nightly. We saw one show in the theater, it was entertaining but very amateur. We found out about the shows/music from other people staying at the resort. It was late on the second day when we realized they put a list of events at each elevator entrance, but it's only for the specific resort you're at (there's three iberostar resorts on this property, and when staying at the Grand, you have access to all three resorts). When we asked employees about events they didn't seem to know the answers.

Transportation:
We used a taxi service once to go into town. There are cabs waiting at the hotel to bring guests to town, shopping, or to the airport. We used it to go to the hip strip and we were told by the hotel staff it should cost $35 dollars each way. Just as the cab driver was getting us onto the hip strip, he explained he would drop us off at his friends store, his friend would give us a deal, no tax, and when we were ready to be picked up to have his friend in the store call him and he'd come get us. He wouldn't let us out of the cab until we paid him $60 for the return trip, we said we'd get another cab back but he refused. Meanwhile, his "friend" is opening the door and practically pulling me out into his store, while another woman from another store is trying to entice me into her shop. We get into the cab drivers friend's shop and look around, it's all tourist trap junk, but a woman working there helps us find shirts for our children. We tell her we're all done shopping and she starts getting pushy, telling us we have to buy more stuff. I told her we either pay for the shirts now or we leave - the owner witnessed this and took our cash. Then he offered to hold our bag until we were done on the hip strip and we could come back and pick it up then. We declined his oh so generous offer. We walked down to Margaritaville and had a decent lunch and had the waiter call our cab driver back to pick us up.
I only bring this up while reviewing the Iberostar because the cab driver said the cab company has a relationship with the hotel to transport guests. I never verified this information but if it's true it does reflect poorly on the hotel.

Overall:
We weren't happy with our stay at iberostar, but I think we just aren't "all-inclusive" people - again, I have nothing to compare it too as I've never stayed at an all inclusive resort. Many people were there for their 2nd or 3rd time, they loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite if booking ocean front, just know you'll be far away from the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments on this website. We have noted that you had enjoyed the layout of our rooms, beautiful grounds and relaxing pool. We apologize if you found the food to be below par. It would appear that during the period you were here, occupancy was lower and hence not all restaurants were open each night. We regret that this was not explained properly to you. It would have helped to report to us the cab driver that you had taken along with his License plate number, as we would have been able to make a report on your behalf to that particular driver’s company. It would be only pertinent that guests try to take advantage of the free shuttle to visit the nearby shopping center. There are also several hotel gift shops as well as other shops on property at reasonable prices. We would appreciate and kindly encourage you to email us to pr.grand@iberostar.com with some sort of description or name for the cab driver or the vehicle you received this questionable service from and you can be assured that we will look into the matter.

We hope that you will think of returning in the future as it would be our pleasure to show you our usual service standards. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back.

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

First let me express that my wife and I are experienced travelers. So the bar we have set for our hotels is very high. As a matter of fact, the hotel that sets this bar is the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana. The Grand Rose Hall is the 4th Iberostar resort we have been to in the past 9 years.

The hotel is around 15-20 minutes from Sangster Intl airport. We arranged private transfers which was very nice. No bus stopping at hotel after hotel.

The hotel is a bit older. The reception area is very nice, but the hotel is worn. The walls appear to have been newly painted as the baseboards in the hallways had paint splatters. Drywall in some areas of the ceiling was rough and not properly finished. Not a big deal but just not the polished exterior we've come to expect from Iberostar. Carpets lined the hallways unlike the tile/marble we normally see. The bathrooms are very nice with separate sinks for a couple.. The hair dryer had been handled by a small army and had the gunky handle to prove it. The shower was very nice with a big rain shower head and plenty of pressure. Step down living area and swing on the balcony were nice touches.

Our butler crew was non existent at first. We rarely saw him. We arrived on Saturday and by Monday we were asking for a restock of our mini bar as we hadn't seen anyone. We actually had to ask to have our room made up on Sunday at 3:30 as no one had been in. We did talk with a couple who had tipped the butlers up front and they couldn't say enough about how amazing the service was. Towards the end of our stay, the butler service did improve and he made us an anniversary rose petal bath with candles for our last night.

The staff at the pool were very good. Melisa especially was fantastic. The service at the outdoor buffet and each of the restaurants was very good as well. We enjoyed all of the restaurants and the food was very good. The buffet was your average buffet fare. The food is properly cooked just not very warm.

We aren't beach people, but the beach is very nice. Do be warned that vendors in kayaks do approach you and the smell of cannabis was very noticeable. We didn't experience this two years ago when we visited Montego Bay. We did like being at the resort during the off season. No crowds no waiting. The flip side is the resort is quiet and there wasn't much going on in the evening. Even the spa didn't offer the same services since the staff was using the down time to take classes or take time off.

Every year we get a couples massage and this was hands down the best. The hot stone massage was fantastic. The hydrotherapy area was not very good compared to other hotels. Not everything was in working order when we were there.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. However for the money we would prefer to return to the resort we stayed in two years ago. The extra money just didn't equal an exceptional experience for us personally.

Room Tip: Room 6408 was a good room... Right next to the elevator, right in the corner on the top floor but n...
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments. We would like to apologize for any disappointment you felt by being with us. We are sorry that we had not heard from you whilst you were in house as any member of our Management team would have been only too happy to meet with you and discuss your concerns. Specifically we regret any issues of inconvenience namely, the blow dryer, mini-bar, and inconsistent service by your butlers. It would be a pleasure to host again you and show you our usual service standards as it is obvious from your review that your experience is not typical of our guests. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I sat reading these reviews a few weeks ago just like you are now, trust me, just book this place.
I've travelled to well over 25 all-inclusives down south and this is by far #1 on the list.
I only like to stay at 4 or 5 stars - preferably 5 stars and this is the best 5 star I've ever stayed at hands down.
I travelled with my wife Oct 5-12th.
Everything about the resort is amazing!
The food, the staff, the rooms, the service, EVERYTHING!!!

We were welcomed with cocktails, my wife being pregnant didn't have any alcohol, from that moment that we told the lady at the front desk, the rest of the week the staff knew not to bring any alcoholic beverages for my wife. They brought champagne in a bucket of ice to welcome us, but it was fruit champagne - they were so pleasant and amazing, words cannot describe.

Just book the hotel - its amazing

The food at the buffet included shrimp, lobster tail, crab legs, filet mignon wrapped with bacon, any an all fruits, amazing desserts, unreal.

Few people that stick in my mind and a great big thanks - cook Anthony (one love) and Jason (ching chong man), to Aulet (server), Bubbles (star friends) - everyone is so genuine and pleasant and professional - they all deserve a big THANKS!!!

I have never gone to same resort twice in my life, but this one I would go back a million times in a heartbeat.
Thank you Jamaica and Thank you Iberostar - you were worth every penny.

Cheers

Room Tip: Got upgraded for free to oceanview - room in the 5 block on floor 3
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review of our property. We were ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our warm service, friendly staff, and delicious food. Our team looks forward to serving you and assure you that we would make your return visit even more special. It is hoped that you will continue to think of us as your vacation “home away from home”.

Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I went for a destination wedding and we were so amazed of the location and the beaches they were nice and clean. The staff was incredible we would definetly come back again and recommend it to all of our friends. Mr. O was the best!

Sincerely
Brenda and Ken from Dumfries, Virginia

Room Tip: rooms on the south was quieter
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your positive review of our property. We were grateful to have had the chance to serve you, so it was even more rewarding to learn that we had successfully met your vacation needs. We look forward to serving you again soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Owings Mills, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our third trip to Jamaica and all were at "Butlered" resorts. First, here are my pros and cons regarding our stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (10/5/13 to 10/12/13).

Pros:
1. Check in was quick with a cold towel and a welcome drink and we were taken to our room immediately.
2. Room was super clean and nicely appointed.
3. The Ocean Front room # 6417 (top floor of Building 6000) view was spectacular.
4. Bed was great for sleeping.
5. Food was top notch. (Ate at the Galleon, Es Palau, Cornwall, Port Maria, Japanese and Italian)
6. Drinks were flowing and high quality.
7. Beach was beautiful with warm water and very little wave action.
8. Snorkeling off the beach was amazing (saw Lion Fish, Skates, Flounders, Spiny Sea Urchins, Small vividly colored fish and much more)
9. Pools were beautiful.
10. Star Friends kept things fun.

Cons:
1. Our room was across from the Butlery and the Housekeeping staff (around 8am every morning) were talking and singing loudly. (So we shut the door to the bath area at night to keep the morning festivities to a minimum - which kept the bedroom very DARK at night - I broke my toe on the bench at the end of the bed going to the bathroom)
2. The shower leaked profusely out of the bottom of the shower door (I had read about this in other TA reviews and I expected it would have been addressed - BUT no).
3. Butlers - no continuity - over the week we met 3 (1st day - 3rd day - last day)
4. Our two (and only two) butler requests about the fan not working on our porch were never addressed. (we asked and no one reported back or let us know anything on the status).
5. Concierge sevice was more helpful than our butlers.

If we had never gone to another resort in Jamaica which had TERRIFIC butler service - we would have been been wowwed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall - but the bar was set too high.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are grateful for your informative review. Reviews like yours serve to assist us in assessing whether or not we are meeting our service targets. We were honored to learn that we you had left with positive memories. We have noted the issues you encountered as well, and would like to assure you that we will make every effort to address each one in a timely manner. Our team looks forward to serving you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is the best of the Iberostar resorts in the area, very modern and you get a butler too. The room was very spacious and had a balcony to relax and enjoy the oceanview. Pay more and you get more at this resort, pay less and you get less at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach resort next door. The breakfast buffet was okay, actually the resort next door had a better breakfast. But overall the room is what you will enjoy the most, hands down.

Room Tip: Get a higher room for peace and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your positive review. We are thrilled that you chose to share your comments with other prospective travellers. Our team looks forward to hosting you again and hope that you will not hesitate to think of us as your destination of choice for all future vacations.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Been to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall? Share your experiences!