“id prefer a travel lodge” 1 of 5 stars

De Vere Venues Highfield Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Lane, Heckfield RG27 0LG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“id prefer a travel lodge”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

having stayed in many travel lodges i would say highfield park is bellow the quality of them! il let the pictures do the talking that i will attach!
over all i would not recomend the stay!

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Croydon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I had booked a double room in connection with a family wedding. When my wife and I checked in the room key was handed to me without comment. (The room was in a separate 'stable block' some way from the reception area.) On getting to the room I found that it was a single, not a double. I phoned reception and it was confirmed that the room was a single. I pointed out that I needed a double. The duty manager showed me the available double rooms. Both had a double bed that was up against a wall - difficult for one person to get in and out of bed. These were the only choices available. I wanted to go home but my wife insisted that we stay. The duty manager agreed that there would be no charge for the stay.

Outside the room there was an extractor vent. I requested that the fan be turned off. There was a conference syndicate room opposite with its lights on (at 10.00 pm) and I asked for these to be turned off. The room temperature was over 26°C with no air conditioning. I asked for a fan which was provided. We had to sleep with the window open even though there was a flat room immediately outside. The temperature never dropped below 26°C.

I left the hotel with some insect bites on my leg that were not there when I arrived.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Heckfield hotels

South Croydon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed in the Main house, room was small and television in an awkward position,
Breakfast was buffet style and the cooked breakfast looked nice, but was cold.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed here for a friends wedding and I was very impressed with the beautiful location and building. The rooms were small but clean. Breakfast was good, with a nice selection of food. The downside was that as it was a nice evening and we were outside we were pestered with wasps from a nest near the hotel. As the evening wore on the bar staff targeted the people who they thought were tipsy, and gave them the incorrect change back. This happened to me more then once. My drinks came to £8.50, so I gave him a £20 note and he very quickly gave me £1.50 change and walked off to do something else. When I questioned him, he did not argue or look ashamed at all and gave the £10 straight back********CHECK YOUR CHANGE AND WARN OTHERS IF YOU STAY AT THIS HOTEL*********

• Stayed July 2010
Bristol,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I've been told this or overheard this at 4 different DeVere Venues now even though the in house magazine describes them as 'Venue Hotels'. I guess they use this as an excuse for the few niggly things that you query. I stayed 2 nights through one of the frequent offers they have for £19 a nt RO and as you can expect was out in the accomadation away from the main house which was still very nice as I think its a converted stable block. Room was a decent size and very tidy, although being on the first floor (with the good weather) was very hot on both nights and even with the window open, I struggled to sleep both nights. Decent size wardrobe, bizarrely with a second foldaway bed (can't believe it was for my room) but as with most venues, no storage in bedside cabinets or drawers on the desk. Internet was a bit intermittent, tennis court could do with a bit of TLC and the small outdoor pool looks as though its been c losed for some time. Now for the good bits; very friendly helpful staff throughout (i.e opening the bar back up even though they had cashed up for the night), great location and grounds to relax in (easy to find a quiet spot away from the main hotel). Had a fantastic triple deck BLT, chips and side salad from the bar menu the first night for just over £6 (sun lunch is a rather steep £19), sat out on the back terrace overlooking open countryside. Bar is very nice and standard hotel prices at around £4 a pint. Because these are essentially hotels for team building/conferences they are a bit out of the way, although a drive to Hook 5 miles away takes you past 2 or 3 nice pubs (nearest less than half a mile), garden centres and a Tescos to stock up in and its a good base to explore the bigger surrounding towns. Overall, I'd say if you can get the cheap offers by signing up to the DeVere Venues website, then you can't go wrong and without a few of the minor issues above, I would have given it a 4 overall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I organised a small training event at this hotel and would thoroughly recommend it. The venue is clearly geared to dealing with conferences and had rooms located close to each other and refreshments available all day, which helped when our timetable overran. There were always staff on hand to assist and if anything needed changing they did it quickly, efficiently and willingly. The bedrooms were compact and are not luxurious but certainly comfortable and more than adequate. Some rooms are in a separate buliding but it is not far from the main building and I would not consider it a problem. The food was varied and of good quality. We had private dining in the evening and this was well organised and in a lovely banqueting style. I would certainly recommend it for a business event.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Budmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed here after a friends' wedding. Despite ringing on the day our invitation arrived, when we tried to check in they had no record of our booking. They finally found us a room in the infamous stable block, which they described as a 'single, but with a big bed'. Well, if you call a 4ft bed big, then it was. We trekked across the gardens and gravel car park, (doing my party high-heels no good at all) to the block, which had a grubby, tired -looking carpet, found the room, which also had a tired carpet, and tried to unpack. The wardrobe was about 4ft tall, so everything hung across the floor. There was a very odd smell, so we climbed across the bed (which was pushed up againt the wall) to open the window, at which point the window blind fell down with a crash, just missing knocking one of us out!

We could only get four channels on the tv. There was a kettle, tea and coffee packs, but no hot chocolate or biscuits and only one mug. The bathroom was clean, but with cracked tiles and grubby grouting. And it was only a shower, no bath.

We didn't eat in the hotel (we were only at the wedding for the evening) as the chefs were all busy with the wedding and so couldn't open the restaurant. We went to the nearby New Inn where we had a delicious meal, cooked and served by sweet, friendly staff. Breakfast the next morning was fine, food not cooked to order but dished up in hot trays so help yourself.

We were charged £50 for both of us B&B which we thought wasn't too bad but when I saw that otheres were being charged ten quid it was a bit annoying!

The main building is stunningly beautiful and the views marvellous, so if you go, make sure you in the main building and not poked away in the stables. It's about a five minute walk to the main hotel which is fine on a warm day but not if it's cold, dark or raining!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to De Vere Venues Highfield Park? Share your experiences!