“Great wedding, little disappointed with our room, but did get a part refund!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of De Vere Venues Highfield Park

Save Saved
You added De Vere Venues Highfield Park to your Saves list
De Vere Venues Highfield Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Lane, Heckfield RG27 0LG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Heckfield
Hampshire, UK
“Great wedding, little disappointed with our room, but did get a part refund!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

we stayed at this hotel for a friends wedding, which was lovely, we were a little disappointed with our room though. We had opted to pay more for a better/bigger room and bed, our room was a bit bigger but our bed was small and short, im 5ft8 and my feet were hanging of the end. Our room was in the main hotel, our friends were in the building outside and they got a better and bigger room and bed and paid the same as us, however i complained via email and got a partial refund, so i am very happy with the manager for doing that. Also the breakfast was great, good quality cooked breaky, top black pudding and lots of choice from pastries to cereals etc. I would recommend this hotel but would say dont stay in room 38 in the main building espeically if you fairly tall as there are low beams in the room and my husband hit his head a few times. Finally the grounds and setting is lovely and they do a lovely wedding, if your thinknig of getting married here do it, my friends wedding was beautiful and the staff are excellent!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at De Vere Venues Highfield Park, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your review about your friend's wedding and your lovely comments about how wonderful the day, food and our staff were, we are very glad you enjoyed it.

With reference to the bedroom sizes, I would like to again reiterate what I have written on previous reviews, Highfield Park is a converted 17th century mansion house with its' original stables also converted to bedrooms in accordance with the original blue print. This results in every single bedroom being of a different shape & size so each guest will have a different sized room.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review of Highfield Park.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

At arrival I was truly impressed with the scenery. Nice scenery, a lot of green. All peace and quiet. Unfortunately the hotel is not up to standard. Rooms are old fashioned in a negative way; the shower is a joke, the food is average. Some of the staff are nice but in this kind of place you'd expect everybody to be nice and helpful. The Venue pretends to be classy but can't cope with it's promise. Could be good for a wedding though but I wouldn't go there with friends or family for a relaxing trip

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Highfield Park and commenting on our beautiful scenery.

In response to your comment "wouldn't go with friends & family for a relaxing trip" I would like to confirm for yourself and for readers of this review that Highfield Park is part of De Vere VENUES, not HOTELS & this is where confusion often happens within our group.

Venues are indeed perfect (& designed) for events & conferences and depending on the buildings and location, weddings, which of course Highfield is perfect for, as you state. With around 90 weddings a year at Highfield Park on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, it is rarely possible to book Highfield for a 'leisure break' at weekends although when possible, out of the main wedding season we are sometimes opened on the special promotions De Vere Group run.

Whilst people are then most welcome to come on such a break it should be noted that expectations should not be of De Vere 'hotels' though as it is not designed as this. Peace & beauty we have in abundance with plenty of walks on the doorstep and a nice bar and terrace to relax in with a drink but facilities expected from properties within the Hotels division of the Group will not all be found here as we are not in this category. Highfield Park is a converted 17th century mansion house with it's original stables also converted to bedrooms, all in keeping with the original blueprint of the buildings resulting in every single bedroom being a different shape & size, therefore readers should be aware of this when reading negative comments on tripadvisor of 'small rooms' as they are all different.

I am slightly concerned by your comment that "some" of the staff are nice but you expected everyone to be friendly & helpful - this should indeed be the case and we usually get very positive comments about our customer facing staff so if you did receive sub-standard service in any way, please do contact myself or our General Manager, Kirsty Ewart, at the venue in order that we can address this if necessary.

Thank you again for your review.
Fleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We had an afternoon tea here recently. This was my first visit here and I was very impressed with the hotel. Sadly the afternoon tea was truly awful - cheese & tomato, cucumber or egg sandwiches, bought in scones, frozen eclairs & heavy brownie. That together with tea or coffee from a vending flask - all for £16 - not my idea of an English tea! Shame really because it is such a lovely setting.

• Stayed October 2012
HighfieldManagement, Manager at De Vere Venues Highfield Park, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent visit and we are very pleased you were impressed with our venue .

May I ask you please to contact me direct to advise what date your afternoon tea took place as we have no record of any negative feedback from one? Also, £16 is not the price of our afternoon tea so I would like to clarify this was here please.

Our standard afternoon tea comes with tea & coffee in pots. The only time hot drinks are served in flasks is for groups of 20 or more when this is pre-arranged with the organiser so I can only assume you were part of a large group?

I am very concerned about your comment of a 'heavy' chocolate brownie as our chef's home made brownie's are actually legendary with our clients and we have never before received anything other than mouthwatering comments about these.

I look forward to hearing from you.
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It's a grand venue but the hotel go out of their way to make your experience as cheap as possible. There was one ray of sunshine in the hotel - that was the assistant manager who tried ever so hard to help but the stars were not in alignment during our visit.

Bedrooms are clean and presentable. However, the double bed comfortably fits one adult, not two. That makes not for a good night's sleep when there are two of you.

The food was something else. My wife ordered Chicken Tikka Masala and I ordered Spag Bol... as they call it. My wife did get chicken but with no tikka or masala just a mystery set of over salted spices. And as for the Spag Bol - I hunted for the meat amongst the grizzle.

Just really poor for such a wonderful venue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at De Vere Venues Highfield Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I was confused to read this review entitled "nasty" which then appears a little unjust as you state within your review that it is in fact a wonderful venue with clean & presentable rooms and describe one of our Assistant Manager's as a 'ray of sunshine', which we thank you for and have passed on to her.

The food content you have stated is clearly unacceptable and I have looked into this and believe I have found the Duty Manager's report about this from the night of your stay as it matches the dishes you refer to. I see from this report that you expressed your dissatisfaction on the night and a fresh meal was prepared for your wife as requested but she then did not like the flavour and requested a different dish which was also provided for her. I also see that you were offered a refund for the total food cost which I understand you declined. The General Manager has spoken to the Head Chef to ensure that all chefs are working to the same standards at all times.

As stated in previous review responses, all bedrooms are different shapes and sizes in keeping with the original floor plan of the converted buildings and depending on the room type booked for double occupancy you will have either a standard 4ft 6" bed or a 5" or larger bed in our premium rooms. I have checked what I believe to be your bedroom booking and it would appear that you made an online booking for one person in an Executive single room with a 4ft bed on a promotional rate but then in fact checked in with your wife and required double occupancy. At times people do choose to take the cheaper option of a 4ft bedded room for two people which is at their discretion.

If in fact, the above that I believe refers to yourself does not, could I please ask that you contact myself or our General Manager, Kirsty Ewart, at Highfield Park in order that we can re-address. Thank you.
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

A Conference Venue with rooms is how the staff described it. This is absolutely true as herds of conference/training delegates wander round the facility clutching lap tops and mobile phones, sometimes trying to use both at the same time. You do have to watch bolder members of the herds at breakfast as they will steal your toast from the toaster if youn turn your back for a second. However, they can be amusing as discovered from a conversation overheard at breakfast. A lady who seemed to be some sort of conference convenor was talking to a new
joiner. Having been told that he had come from the USA, she said, "That's quite a long way away isn't it?"

A corporate booking firm having messed up my original hotel booking booked me into this hotel the afternoon before arrival. When I arrived at reception, there was no trace of my booking but, when I produced a copy of the booking e-mail the young ladyat reception accepted immediately that the booking had been made by their chief receptionist. Fortunately, there was a room available as most of the hotels in the area were fully booked, and she very promptly and efficiently checked me in. Her very pleasant and helpful approach made up for the failure to put the booking onto their system.

Not unexpectedly, I found myself in the old stable block and not in the main hotel. Having read previous reviews, I was not surprised to find that the room was very small with a double bed in one corner, so only approachable from one side. There was a small desk made even smaller with the television and a kettle which had no where else to go other than on the floor. Working at the desk was quite difficult as it was impossible to open all the papers that I was working on at the same time. The room was also quite dark as the wall mounted light above the bed was not working. In the bathroom, a strip light beside the mirror was flashing on and off and was worse than being totally out. The bathroom was also small and the washhand basing was small and so tightly fitted to the wall that it was difficult to get your hand in behind the tap to activate the pop-up waste plug.

Having reported the defects to reception, I was told that nothing could be done that night. This I accepted and I was promised that the lights would be repaired the next day. Getting back to the hotel for the second night, I found that nothing had been done. Although response to all reports must be welcomed, hotel management response to previous reports seems to be to deny that any faults could be found, so I asked for the duty manager. He was also very pleasant and helpful and came to my room with a handful of replacement lamps for the over-bed light. Unfortunately, none of them fitted. He went away and came back with one that did (robbed from a vacant room?). Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do about the still flickering strip light in the bathroom. He also told me that they only had a handyman on a couple of days a week. I took the opportunity to point out to the duty manager the unpleasant smell in the bathroom that seemed to be coming from the drains (mentioned in previous reports).

On the first evening I couldn't face the dining room with the conference herd and decided to eat in the bar. It took over 45 minutes to get a plate with a few slices of cold ham (similar to supermarket sliced ham that you get in vacuum packets) and a few chips. The explanation was that some people had unexpectedly gone into the dining room together and that the kitchen could not cope. If it had been a cooked selection that I had ordered that might have been a better explanation. Despite being ordered at the same time as the ham, the desert took almost as long again to come. At the bar, there were no draught drinks as "there was nobody to change the gas". Another guest was heard to ask the barman about the available wines but the barman told him that he "wasn't really into wines" and didn't know anything about them. He was, however, very happy to take down the bottles and read the labels to the guest. The duty manager later told me that the barman was new and inexperienced and that the majority of their guests were not interested in the details of wine.

On the second evening, the food was delivered much more promptly by the duty manager. Good man. Breakfast in the dining room was perfectly satisfactory but nothing special. The bar food that I had was below average and I was not the only one having to wait a long time.

Overall, I have not been sure whether to give this hotel an overall Poor or Average assessment. The very small room with smelly bathroom and defects, poor bar service and average food was counterbalanced by the majority of the staff being very friendly and trying to be helpful. From the experience of 2 nights I feel it has tipped into the Poor category and management were made aware of my issues at the time. Staying in the main hotel may avoid some of thse problems and anoid a bit of a hike to the outbuilding.

Room Tip: Avoid the outbuilding.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Highfield Park. You are correct, Highfield is part of the UK's leading conference venue brand and Monday - Thursday nights bedroom priority is given to our in house conference guests. Any remaining bedrooms are available for sale to transient guests on most major bedroom booking websites as well as our own and I note that you indeed booked a late availability room through a corporate booking agent on the day of arrival when we were indeed very busy with in house conferences. As you have read in previous reviews, being a 17th Century mansion house with additional bedrooms in Fir Tree Court which is indeed the converted stables situated a minute's walk from the main house, each & every bedroom is a different shape and size in keeping with the floor plans of the original buildings, therefore each guest will experience a different room layout & size.

We note with regret your comments regarding the bar staff and food and the General Manager has addressed these with both the Head Chef & Food & Beverage Manager to ensure your experience does not reocccur.

With regard to the smell you state has not been addressed by us, this has been investigated again, as it was when a previous client mentioned it on trip adviser, unfortunately no smell or possible source of it can be located by maintenance personnel.

We thank you for your comments regarding our staff being friendly and helpful and for taking the time to write this detailed review.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Highfield Park at the beginning of October, having never stayed at a De Vere Venues hotel before. I have stayed at other hotels within the De Vere brand (VIllage Hotels) and based on this had high expectations.
The hotel is in a rural location, ideal for Weddings etc. I was attending a training course and I suppose it was ideal for this too, being situated in a quiet area. I arrived on Sunday evening about 8pm and checked in. I was in the main part of the hotel. There is one flight of curved stairs up to the bedroom, there is no lift which is a bit of a struggle with a large suitcase. I had dinner in the bar as this was the only option available at that time. The food was pretty standard for hotel bar food, although two people who arrived after me were served before me. The room was small but nicely decorated. I am not actually sure whether my room was meant to be a single or a double, the bed had room for two pillows side by side but if it was a double it was exceptionally small. The bathroom was nice although from previous reviews I was expecting a bath and only got a shower. The comments about the dirty toilet brush made in other reviews are also still relevant! At night the room was exceptionally hot even though the radiator was not on. I did not feel I could open the sash window as I was looking out over a roof and was concerned that something untoward would crawl along the roof into my room! There was a fan provided though which was very useful. Another positive was that there was a 4 way extension socket under the desk, really useful as a business traveller when you have laptop/phone chargers etc to plug in to not have to keep switching them around. There were also Anotomicals toiletries in the bathroom which made a nice change from the cheap stuff found in other hotels. I'd like to say that I really valued the range of tea/coffee available, fruit teas, as well as hot chocolate as not all hotels do this.

In terms of food, the breakfast had a pretty good choice, buffet style. There was a choice of cereals, fresh fruit salad, yogurts, fruit compote, toast, jams etc, and cooked breakfast. I had the cooked breakfast one morning and it was of good quality. The only improvement I could suggest would be to have more pieces of fruit available such as bananas and apples to take away.

We also had lunch three days within the hotel. I really valued the inclusion of a salad buffet option. There were jacket potatoes, soup and various hot options and accompaniments available. Also a choice of three desserts & cheese board available.

Dinner-one night we had this in the restaurant and had to pre order as we were large group. The general consensus was that the portion sizes were too small. Another night our group had a private dining option which was excellent.

The conferencing facilities were mixed. I loved the inclusion of sweets in the meeting rooms. However the rooms themselves I found dimly lit (hardly any natural light) and stuffy. The coffee machines in the breakout areas were also sometimes dirty (and the coffee was not that nice) and not all the biscuit options were always available. The website also says that healthy options were available which I would really have appreciated-but at no point did I see any fruit or similar available in the break out areas.

The hotel dealt with our check out smoothly and efficiently, they got all of our bags out of the luggage room ready for us to collect when we were leaving.

I was also very surprised that a hotel set up for conferencing did not have any leisure facilities (no gym, swimming pool). I was told by a member of my group that there was a fitness room available, but this was not in the main hotel. The treadmill was not working, and there was only a rowing machine and cross trainer. Being part of a large group getting breaks at the same time I did not try to use this facility as it just was not big enough. When I am booking a business hotel myself one of the first things I look for is availability of a gym/leisure facilities so this was extremely disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at De Vere Venues Highfield Park, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your very comprehensive review of our property, we are glad there were many things you enjoyed about your stay here. I would like to clarify the points you raise: Some of our bedrooms have 4ft beds in them which for business users are allocated as large singles, there are times at weekends for social functions that people choose to have 2 people in these rooms at a 'reduced double' cost, I hope this clarifies the confusion.

Regarding fruit not being on offer at coffee points, this is always available at both of the downstairs coffee areas and is checked each morning and afternoon - the fruit stations are located on the shelves on the opposite walls to the coffee machines in these areas. In addition to fruit there are cereal bars, porridge pots and home made snacks available in the mornings and popcorn, sweets and cakes in the afternoon. Due to the space available in the first floor coffee point it is unfortunately not possible tohave the full snack offering at that station.

We are glad that your overall of Highfield was positive and thank you again for taking the time to write this review.

We are sorry the treadmill was not working at the time of your stay - this was a temporarry problem the week of your stay due to someone removing the 'magnet' safety attachment and our being unable to obtain an immediate replacement. As you saw, we do not have a full gym here at Highfield so we installed this exercise room due to the feedback from our conference clients requiring this. During the light evenings and good weather, there is also an outdoor trim trail available for use & a tennis court.
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have stayed at the Highfield once before for a Wedding venue, this time it was for a 60th Birthday Party. It is a lovely hotel, staff very nice. The main building has plenty of character, large rooms with high ceilings, large fire places etc.
It has fantastic views from all round the hotel, nice seating area outside when the weather is good.

Room Tip: Lovely spot to explore more of Hampshire and surrounding area with lovely walks and good pubs dotted...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at De Vere Venues Highfield Park, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments on Trip Advisor, we are very glad you enjoyed the party as much as you enjoyed the wedding you had previously attended. We hope to welcome you back to Highfield again in the future.

Been to De Vere Venues Highfield Park? Share your experiences!