“Bolder Spices, Symphonic Flavors” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Bolder Spices, Symphonic Flavors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I decided to visit this location after the Tanjung Bunga Branch closed some time ago. the decor was certainly more fancy, and we hoped the food followed suit.

I ordered the Non-Veg Set Meal with Mutton for RM16 and my wife tried the Veg Set Meal for RM14.70. The meals came in a circular metal tray lined with banana leaf, and every item was contained in their metal tub. from Plain and Biriyani Rice, Dhal, Vegetable Curry, Rassam, Kheer and Roti.

We noticed that the curries were a fair bit hotter than the examples we sampled at Sri Anandha Bhawans and Veloo Villas, but the execution of spices were similar more potent but harmonized. The result is a more far more enjoyable experience of flavor if you enjoy the heat. The mutton curry was particularly fine with bite sized pieces of lean meat and bone-in pieces of rib. I could have been very happy with the gravies and roti!

The set meals finish with a lovely scoop of vanilla ice cream that was very good.

I will certainly return to try their a-la carte dishes.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Authentic Indian Fare, affordable too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

A visit to this restaurant is a must whenever I go back to my hometown. The menu here is extensive, and the dishes have an authentic, rich Indian taste to them...with all the right spices and cooked just right. As a vegetarian, I thoroughly enjoy the range of choices and full bodied aroma that comes from the masala they use in their cooking. THe barbecued paneer is my fav. Coming from KL, I find the prices here pretty reasonable too.
I have been here 4 times, and even brought my grandmother and dad here for dinner. My grandmother who is over 90 yrs old, had a lovely time savouring the dishes, so did my dad, who is also a vegetarian. The ambience is lovely, with suitable Indian decor, and service is quick even when the restaurant is busy.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sungai Petani, Malaysia
“A special place for South Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been visiting this restaurant for the past four years. It is an affordable, moderately charged Indian restaurant where we can enjoy the traditional south Indian cuisine. The non- vegetarian and vegetarian dishes served by them are very tasty (especially chettinadu style) and unique. I usually enjoy their chicken biriyani along with raitha and spicy gravy or traditional Indian meals with yummy sea foods like prawns, crab or fish. They are also good in Indian breads like Naan, roti etc. Their desserts are also good too- especially sizziling ice cream brownie!!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore, Singapore
“Simple, delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Simple, low end décor, shared tables etc ... but all the classic vegetarian Indian dishes we ordered were expertly made with the full range of flavours and spices; the vegetables were cooked surprisingly delicately, the dal was rich with flavour and spice. If you like simple Indian cooking, you'll enjoy this.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australia
“Has moved from Tanjung Bungah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our favorite Indian restaurant and right across the road to boot. Then one day packed up and left. Believe the main restaurant is still down in Georgetown. They did have the best Butter Chicken, Panik paneer and homemade Kurd (best ever).

• Visited October 2012