“Lovely hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars

Vantaris Palace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kournas, Apokoronas, Crete 730 07, Greece   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kournas
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had a superb trip to Crete, and thoroughly enjoyed it. When we got to the hotel the lady at reception was extremely friendly and told us exactly what to do and where to go for food etc. A very pleasant gentleman took our bags down to our room which was very clean and spacious. The towels were changed everyday and the sheets were changed most days. We were told how everything worked, like the air con, and then went for dinner. We arrived at the hotel after dinner had finished being served but the waitresses happily bought us some food and made us feel very welcome. The waiters and waitresses were very friendly throughout our stay, especially the dinner staff. The variety of food was also amazing. There was a massive amount of choice from salads to traditional Greek dishes. There were lots of places you could visit in Crete. We went to Georgioupolis and Rithymna. Both were both lovely, but Rithymna being like the main town of the west side of Crete meaning it was a lot busier. There were very good bus services, however in Rithymna the bus station was rather hectic! The beach was lovely and the life guards were very vigilant especially as at the end of our stay the waves were very big and strong. The bar lady was also extremely friendly, and we were the only English people staying in the hotel which was very nice. Most of the other guests came from around Germany. The pool was also very clean and so was the fitness centre and indoor pool. Overall, we had an amazing stay and came away feeling very refreshed and relaxed and with a tan! We would definitely return to this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was a bit surprised when entering the hotel; after reading so many good reviews on the internet, I had high expectations. Don’t get me wrong; they weren’t all dashed and we had a nice time; I was just a little disappointed overall and I think 3 out of 5 is a fair representation of our impression of the place. I think also many of the reviews are a little older, and the very friendly lady at the reception told us in the past year the hotel has doubled in size due to a new wing being put on, so perhaps this might explain my review being a little different.

To start on a positive note, let’s begin with all the benefits of the Vantaris Palace: the staff are extremely and overwhelmingly friendly, greet you every morning – nothing was too much trouble for them. We even came in quite late once and missed dinner, so they brought us something, and the waitress’ attitude was “no problem, no problem”. And not when a person’s mouth says “no problem” but in their head it’s like “it’s guests like you that make my job hell”, but really no problem! They also have very good language abilities, speaking very good English and German. The rooms were very clean and all seem to have lovely balconies with a table and chairs. The buffet was lovely and with a huge selection: dinner had a few regional Cretan and Greek dishes, salads, fruit, plenty of different breads, spreads, different meats, and plenty for the kids: spaghetti with Bolognese sauce, chips, I saw chicken nuggets once, small pasties, etc. Even a picky eater would find things they liked here. The pool is beautiful and designed really nicely, with a wading pool section for the real littlies, a smaller pool and a deeper one with a small bridge over the top that the children delightedly jumped from into the pool. It’s also within a minute from the beach and has a nice setup of beach lounge chairs and umbrellas, so very comfortable. There’s also a nice playground area for children.

On the other side though: this is not a 4½ star hotel. Maybe a 3 or 3½ but definitely not what it’s purported to be. The rooms are extremely basic: there’s no luxury that you might expect from a 4½ starred hotel, i.e. the bed had a bedspread but no fluffy duvet, TV was older, bathroom was okay but the bath is very small, and the arrange of products is limited – soap, shower gel, and shampoo is it. There isn’t even tissues in the bathroom. The cleaning lady even forgot to replace the shower gels most days (we kindly asked reception to replace them) and for 3 days didn’t remove the blue beach towels from the bathroom floor – reception then told us upon enquiry that we had to exchange them there at reception but we hadn’t known that. I think there must be some serious training lacking The rooms next to the bar are also a little noisy in the late afternoon/evenings, so if you’re not normally someone who’s at the bar, perhaps give that a miss.

Internet – extra charge. Deck chairs on the beach and umbrellas – extra charge. Fitness room – extra charge (plus half the equipment was broken). Safe in room – extra charge, even though it’s a code safe and could easily be free! I wouldn’t mind paying if it’s behind the counter and they have to service it for you, but when it’s easily codified and in the room, I could not see why this isn’t free and I guess I had expected it in this level of hotel. Also, the worst thing: this hotel doubled in size in the last year, so there’s NO space at the pool, as the rooms doubled but the pool and deck chairs did not. And, surprisingly, there were quite a few A-social people who thought they could leave a hotel towel only at a place and then it was reserved the entire day, even when 4 hours later, 6 of them were nowhere to be found! We asked reception about this too, and the nice lady there was also annoyed at this – she said the hotel tried to remove the towels a couple of days before and there was a huge amount of complaints. The hotel needs to be clear on this policy: no reservations (unless of course you’re in the pool or just out for a few minutes). This would easily fix the problem – I can’t see why they haven’t done this. For this reason alone, I would downgrade this hotel because they have no organised system in place to fix the problem of only having ½ the seats by the pool.

Overall, I think I would say 3 out of 5 and I won’t be going back there, simply because it wasn’t what I expected and a couple of hotel procedures were not quite to my fancy. That isn’t to say one wouldn’t enjoy a stay there – there are also a lot of good things and the staff are great – it just wasn’t what I expected or would personally choose on my holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms near the bar are very noisy - ask for one away from that area if you're sensitive to noise...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Just returned from a week in Crete, staying all inclusive at Vantaris Palace. We really couldn’t fault anything, the sheets & towels were changed daily and beach towel were provided
All the staff was very friendly. We were the only English guests (mainly German) but that didn’t really matter all the staff spoke English and were very helpful. There was a good selection of food; the only thing is it could have been a bit hotter but full marks for variation. You can take a packed lunch if out for the day and that is very substantial. The beach is perfect clean and sandy, it is the best spot along the whole stretch.
Hire a car and take a day trip to the south side of the island the roads are amazing with a series of hairpin bands. Knossis was a bit disappointing, too much rebuild using mortar.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed here for 4 days for our honeymoon. We had a great time. We had a suite with a private pool. The rooms are nice and it's close to the beach. The wait staff is friendly. However, it's more like a four start hotel than five stars. It has the amenities of a five, but it lacks the luxury.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Vantaris Palace? Share your experiences!