“service?? without a smile.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“service?? without a smile.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

No sign of management, young staff lacking leadership.
On arrival, waited over 10 minutes to get served at bar.
Booking changed from 5 to 6 on previous day, obviously a communication problem somewhere as not registered. After confirming number as 6, shown to table for 5 which was obviously to small for 5 never mind 6. After complaint moved to larger table.
Then a further wait of over 10 minutes in a queu for a ticket for the carvery and on to a queu for the actual meal. Unable to have any beef on our plates as it was not just pink, it was seeping blood.
Although the rest of the food was not bad, by the time we sat down to eat the whole experience had been ruined.
A family birthday outing completely spoiled due to a badly organised establishment and exceptionally bad service.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bath, United Kingdom
“Christmas Day rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We have been to this pub for the past 3 years on Christmas Day. It was definitely the most expensive around at £60 per head but the food and service was worth it!! Until 2013 with new management!
It was disorganised. 5 times I had to speak to a member of staff about service. Twice I had to go to bar and ask for drinks as the lady I asked forgot!!!! We have always had the menu choices before placed on the table for a reminder with nice place cards. If these had been used it would have made life a lot easier! When you order months before you do forget!
The other problem was attitude of staff. So miserable and one of these was management! The landlord was fine. The woman really dreadful. There were no mince pies as promised! It took 3 hours for a 3 course meal and we were last ones to leave! That's ok but tables being cleared around us was a big hint to go! If the service had been there it wouldn't have taken so long!
£600 we paid fir this. Wake up new inn look at prices around you. We have never minded before as food and service was first class.
2 members of staff were lovely. 1 should not be running a pub! Customer service with a smile!!!!
Do not waste your hard earned cash on Christmas Day. You have been warned!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“Puzzle - is it possible to give good service to a crowd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I attended a group Christmas lunch on Tuesday 3rd of December 2013, 12.00-2.30.

There is no doubt that this is a lovely establishment. We entered through a side door because the main door was being painted ( funny timing) and were greeted by a lovely live fire really belting out the heat. I paid £8.50 for a large bells and a Merlot. The service at the bar was efficient. The manager hovered around, ever busy, giving instructions.

We went to be seated. Christmas crackers were provided. We paid about the average for a lunch, £8.50 or thereabouts, about 40 of us sat together in the large reception room at the end of the dining room which is used for weddings and celebrations. It is a pleasant space with dark traditional tables; rather echoey and looks out on fields.

I would agree that the food is fair to average in quality. For the first course we had very good tomato soup followed by a long wait, and the main course, the turkey meal, followed. I have to give this restaurant first prize of serving the smallest portion of mashed potatoes I have ever seen. I would say it was about one spoonful. Having said that, that was one of eight vegetables, including slightly undercooked brussels sprouts, rather dry turnips, overcooked roast potatoes, carrots that had not been topped correctly and some chestnut stuffing. My partner had a pumpkin roast which had been superheated but was actually quite nice.

There was one curiosity, a light-coloured gravy which was a combination of what you and I understand as gravy and light consomme (sp?) soup. it was not quite nauseous but it wasn't really what you expect gravy to be.

For sweet we had Christmas pudding with small amounts of custard, quite tasty actually. This was followed by coffee, served in warm cups thank you very much.

The staff appeared when they thought we were ready for the next course, or more probably when the kitchen was ready, and were efficient enough. The service was neither friendly nor unfriendly. My request for more custard, and another jug of water, was responded to quickly. The manager does muck in with the rest and helps when needed.

On the way out we noticed other diners, they were all eating contentedly, and no one was waiting. There is a large Sunday carvery quite obviously heavy duty and I would echo what I imagine would be situation experienced by other reviewers. Advice: Turn up early say at 12 o'clock, get your ticket, and stand in the hopefully still small queue. To six people arrive at 12:45 AM: expect a long wait.

I think the establishment is doing the best it can, and it is no one's fault that there is no other reasonable establishment within a few miles. My starring is between three star and four-star. Better quality food cooking or in case that sounds a bit ungracious, slightly more attention to detail would be appreciated.

Yes I would return.

• Visited December 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Venue Very Good, Food Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wish there was a 3 1/2 star rating available, but there isn't so it gets an 'average' from me rather than a 'very good'.
If your meal is all about the food, then I would say this place is average, not poor, not great, just standard okayish food. Out of the 7 of us who went 3 said their main course was nice, 2 said okay, and 2 didn't really enjoy theirs, although all the puddings went down well particularly the Jamaican Ginger Cheesecake, which tastes as good as it sounds- it was bloody lovely.
The beer I had which I think was a guest ale (american festival?) was very good too.
Where this place really wins is the layout and size of the dining area, there were 7 of us plus a baby in a high chair, but we had a large table and while the place was very busy you never felt crammed in, making for a relaxing meal.
I also like the fact that you order at a food bar (seperate from the main bar) meaning that we could all take our time over ordering and never felt rushed at any time.

• Visited September 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Revisited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

As the weather was lovely we decided to visit a pub with a garden as we had the dog with us. The only pub that we came across was the new inn at farm borough and had experienced problems there recently but decided to give it another go. We sat in the garden and ordered some food it was lunchtime

• Visited July 2013