“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Dauin
Saipan, Mariana Islands
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were at Mike's over Christmas and had a wonderful time. Mike even managed turkey dinner with all the trimmings. The rooms were comfortable the food was great, the diving excellent and the personal service made the whole visit outstanding. Ecellent value for the money.

Lynne M

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I came to only relax but ended up with a three-day Open Water Diving class. AWESOME. The staff were nice and the food were VERTY TASTY. Other than the unexpected PADI Open Water certification, I had a great time with the nice pool, sunset and pool-side BBQ dinner. The BBQ fish was a one-of-a-kind choice. I am sure this would be a #1 choce for those who would like to either start to learn divining or do advanced adventure diving. Will be here again soon, no doubt about that. I moved around two types of rooms, standard and deluxe. Not sure there are other types though. Maybe Mike needs to consider having room available for Double Beds, for those buddies who came and would like to stay in one room together and sleep good.

Room Tip: Standard room is good enough. Delux does not make too much difference...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jalalabad, Nangarhar, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I went to Mike's to get my Open Water Dive Certification. I was unfortunate in that they were fully booked for room vacancy. mike graciously set me up right next door and I was welcomed with open arms at his resort to take advantage of the restaurant, bar, internet, and pool. I was even invited to attend the staff Christmas party which was a great time all in itself. The staff there is friendly and Mike himself is great guy and very hospitable. Needless to say I will be returning again and again. Next time I will give a little notice though in hopes to secure a room at the beautiful resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would give this place a 3.5 but since I can't, I will give it a 3 and hope that readers will take note of why. I agree - for the most part - with previous reviews about Mike's place but there are certain things I wish I knew going in. Here are some of those things:

1.) Mike's is a one-man show that is completely run by Mike. Mike is a nice, helpful guy but he is also a wily businessman. On one day there were several divers wanting to go out and as Mike didn't want to have too many tanks on the boat (not due to a lack of space but due to the fact that the boat would be heavier and would take more fuel) he "encouraged" us to do snorkeling with whale sharks and only one dive. What Mike failed to mention was the hefty fee to see the whale sharks (US$25 per person), fees which were of course passed on the the guests. Had I known about those fees, I would have declined to go snorkeling Another example is Christmas day - Mike decided that there was to be no diving on Christmas day, but we were not informed of this when we booked. When I did want to go diving and tried to organize this, he became agitated. Mike said several times that he preferred when the boats were full and did not like the idea of one or two divers going out alone, even though that is what I was told was possible when I reserved.

2.) Be careful about the dive packages! When I reserved, I reserved for a dive package but when I arrived, I was told that that there was no real advantage to having the dive package...that is not what the website says. Apparently, if you take a package, the accommodation for a night is included. I was charged separately for each dive, and for each night's accommodation. When I inquired when making the final payment, I was told again that it would be MORE expensive to take the package. Hmmm. This seems counter-intuitive to me.

3.) The place is not as quiet as I would have liked. The quietest time was before 8:00am but after that there was constant noise - Mike's booming voice, the staff shouting out to each other, people (not in-house guests) using the pool, kids screaming. If one is not a diver or just looking for a peaceful moment, this may not be the place for you. All the rooms have balconies which face the bar/restaurant area. As a result, there is constant noise.

All in all, I would say that it was not a bad stay. I have to say that I found that price per room (US$70 per night, without breakfast) quite steep for the Philippines. I enjoyed the diving although the Dauin sites were a little disappointing (far too many sandy bottoms). The restaurant was good, with hearty fare and good prices.

I hope this is useful - sometimes one sees 5 stars and had high expectations - I just wish I knew certain things going in and would have acted differently.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 5 have the best view (of the beach) but are also the nosiest as they overlook the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sailingdauin, Owner at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
After reading your concerns it is clear that we had some serious communication problems. So please accept my apologies for any confusion or problems rising from this. As I feel that some of these are important issues I will address them in depth.
We feel , as do most dive shops and resorts, that the most responsible interaction with the whale sharks is snorkeling. This is why we do not allow diving with them. However we do stop at Similion Island for 1 or 2 dives and lunch on the way back. The number of dives depends, of course on the diver’s requests and the ocean conditions and number of people on the boat. As it is a long trip, 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours we need to be concerned with comfort and safety. I will not allow the second dive (extra tanks) if I feel that the boat would be over loaded , that means weight not space. Our business is diving. When we take the boat and divers out we incur expenses, fuel , salaries , maintance, etc. so of course we would always like to see the divers do the maximum number of dives per trip, but I won’t compromise safety for an extra dive.
The 1000 peso fee for snorkeling with the whale sharks is a bit high. This whole whale shark experience is quite a controversial event, with feeding of the whale sharks and huge numbers of people in the water as the main concerns. For most of the last year we have boycotted the whale sharks because of this. The local government decided to control the numbers by raising the fee’s which seems to have worked. Before we organize a trip there we always talk to the guests about these concerns and the 1000 peso fee. I regret if somehow we had another communication breakdown . As our price for this trip is about the same as Apo Island even though it is more than double the distance we feel that it is a good value even if the guest must pay the additional 1000 peso fee.
Christmas day we did dive! We had one other guest that wanted to dive. I think that the confusion must be about the boat. I said or meant to say that as most of our guest were not diving on Christmas day that I would like to give the boatmen the day off to be with their families. As long as there was only 2 or 3 divers that we would just go by car (a common method) and do an easy beach entry at the nearby cove that has 2 of our best dive sites, Car Wrecks and Dauin Sanctuary. I don’t know why you did not join.
The dive packages are a marketing tool used mostly for agents in their recruiting of clients, our booked guest wanting to know exactly how much the cost will be per day and others comparing total cost of one resort to another. There is no mystery in the packages it is just the total cost of the diving, cost of the room and food. As the only variable is the food and drinks when someone is not a big eater I suggest that they can save a few dollars by not taking the package.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Been here four times for dinner and lunch. Love coming to the place and having a drink on the beach with a great view of Apo Island (their Trentadue Port is amazing) with a nice meal (the food is great and reasonably priced-try the chicken schnitzel and burgers). The place is the perfect size, small enough where you get to know the friendly staff and are treated like family, but big enough to still have some nice amenities, like a pool to cool off in. I will be visiting again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Moalboal, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Since we start with the dive safaris end of october,we always have dinner at mike's place while we on the trip.the place are direct on the beach. we always very welcome there. the people very friendly.the service and food is great all the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We are just now finishing up a full week of scuba diving and stay at Mike's Beach Resort. The previous reviews have it all right, this place is top notch. There are only 8 guest rooms, each immaculately clean, with ample furnishing and space to feel comfortable. Our family of three was able to unpack our bags and make ourselves at home. In the bathroom there were hooks for hanging up our towels and a 4-tiered shelf for all of our toiletries. Outside our room on the shared balcony are bamboo drying racks for our bathing suits, t-shirts and shorts and comfortable lounge chairs for relaxing in between and after dives. The swimming pool is kept clean and inviting at all times. Mike has really thought out all the little details. Our package included two or three dives a day and three meals - the food was very good, some of the best that I've experienced while traveling in the Philippines. The restaurant staff were very attentive to our needs and easily made accommodations for all of my dietary needs (gluten intolerant) both on and off the dive boat. The boat staff were amazing. They took care of our dive gear all week and were very attentive to our needs. Our 11-year old daughter had her own dive master so that my husband and I could dive deeper but still be together at the end of each dive. The dive masters were great, they didn't go too fast or too slow along the reef and were excellent at pointing out unique and varied sea life - nudibranches, frog fish, eels, leaf fish, turtles, cuttlefish and sea horses! We are already scheming when to come back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mike's Dauin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!