“Lovely Room, Poor Resort” 2 of 5 stars

Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   My Canh, Bao Ninh, Dong Hoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Dong Hoi
Brindisi, Italy
“Lovely Room, Poor Resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The ONLY reason to stay here is if you are visiting the fabulous Paradise Cave and need a nicer place to stay. Though they bill themselves as a 4/5-Star resort, forget that idea. Maybe 3 stars. We had a really lovely room, but the rest of the resort is a disaster. Pool was cloudy, service deplorable, maintenance absolutely lacking. The buildings need refurbishing--paint, missing roof tiles repaired, beach chairs replaced, trash removed. As we walked up the stairs to our room, we had a wonderful view of an enormous pile of trash carelessly tossed a few feet from the stairwell. We had a very bad experience with a massage there. The young girls were totally untrained, talked and giggled during the entire massage, and there was inappropriate touching as well as rude comments from the girls. And they had the nerve to hold out their hands and ask for tips! We enjoy weekly massages in Hanoi from well-trained professionals, and we were shocked with the treatment we received. When we complained to the management, they said we had mistakenly scheduled our massage at the "2-star facility" instead of the "5-star facility." Ironically, the front desk booked the massage for us, and this was the place to which the assistant manager directed us! In retrospect, with the lack of professionalism, dress of the masseuses, and large number of Vietnamese men in the waiting area as we left, we had to wonder about the authenticity of this place as a true "massage" facility. If you want a beach experience in Viet Nam, choose Phu Quoc, Da Nang, or Hoi An.

Room Tip: Choose an end room away from pool with two large windows.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We only stayed in Dong Hoi as a stop over by train for a break from travelling.This is one of the few hotels in this city.The hotel has everything you need without you going to town,where there is pretty much nothing at all going all.There was two lovely pools to choose from and all right by the beach if you felt like a sea dip. The time we went and because the town is quiet,the hotel was very quiet. Our room was very nice and quiet. All amenities were available for us. Breakfast was excelllent and such a choice. Staff was also very helpful. Its just too bad that the city is a let-down, but the hotel probably know this,so they have in-house facilties. All area we went to had a high quality finish and reception area was pleasant and relaxing. Right hotel, just wrong city location otherwise I would stay there again.

Room Tip: There is not much happening in this town, and it was just a lay over.We went into town but walked f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

If any one want to spend your holiday at five - stars - villa, my advise is "Please, don't go there". My experience is so bad, it's such a waste of money (a lot).
I and other people in my group were welcomed by a cup of hot tea. The first impression is good, the resort is beautiful with peaceful garden.Villa is so nice too, with a basket of fresh fruit, garden view, steaming bath tub. One make me so impressed is swimming pool near the beach, great view!
But all of the good impression did't last long. Perhaps it's five star resort, when I was there, just only me and people in my group stayed there. Room equipment seems so old and some (maybe most) of them didn't work. I arrived at night after long and super hot day, the first thing I want to do is relaxing in the steaming bath tub, but It didn't work at all, after too many time trying so hard to make it work, I called receptionist, they just told me "well, I am sorry, It's broken!" ---> What? Is it five star villa? You gave me the room that it's bath tub is broken?". Then, they asked me if I want to change the room in the middle of the nite.
Another bad experience is about the pool, cause I came at night so I could not imagine how dirty it was.
For the best value of money, I suggest four - star - hotel (next to five-star one)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked our stay in early April for 3 nights in a private villa in May and were looking forward it. Two nights before our arrival I sent an email to confirm our stay....no response. I sent another email the next day as well and finally got a response the day we arrived. We were driving in from Hue which was a 4 hour drive so we were already a bit tired from being in the heat. When we arrived we were greeted at their 4 star section (???) and after a few minutes were told that we need to be at another section of resort....the 5 star section. Luckily our driver had not left so he helped us get to the correct reception area. There were no signs directing us and he had to ask for directions twice....and we were on the hotel grounds! We finally made it to the villa reception area and were finally shown to our room. This 5 star section was completely deserted. We had booked a one bedroom, two bed villa. It was the off season, but we still had paid over $200/ night. ( this was the most we had spent anywhere in VN but were planning on treating ourselves). Imagine our disappointment when we walked into the villa that had a standard size bed and right next to it a roll away cot....not what we had booked...not what was advertised. We let the staff know that this would not work for us and needed to talk to a manager. For over 2 hours we went back and forth with various " managers", none of them who seemed to have any authority or any real desire to help. Their final solution was to put us in their 4 star section, which we were totally fine with, as long as they agreed to credit us the difference between the price paid for a private villa ( over $200/ night) versus their standard room ( around 75/ night). They would not agree to that!!!! The room they showed us was very old, had carpet that was visibly worn and smelt bad and just overall had a very run down feel to it. Not really sure how or why they were able to classify this as their 4 star section as it was clearly 2 star at bet. Because they would not agree to the refund of the difference we could not agree to their "solution".

We had been traveling in Vietnam for two and a half weeks at this point, spending an average of $75/ night at some amazing places,with phenomenal service so we were definitely shocked with what we were experiencing. We had asked repeatedly at this point to have our passports returned to us so we could go find another hotel in the area as it was getting late in the day,and without fail this would spark another round of unnecessary, unproductive conversation with one "manager" calling the other "manager" on the phone. This all came to an end when both of their shifts ended as they both left for the day without letting us know!! After nearly begging one of the bellboys for our passports, we finally got them back we got the first cab out of there. We found a nice little hotel in town where we pad a fraction if the price and were treated incredibly well. We both have been traveling for over 20 years and the experience at Sun Spa was definitely one of the worst ever experienced. The facilities were okay but the staff and service were abysmal and beyond disappointing.

Dong Hoi is a very small town so I guess this "resort" has the ability to be rated #1 as they are one of the few with beach front property, but in my book I would not even give them half a star. If spending time in this town, find a smaller hotel in town and just take the cab to the beach!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The staff is excellent. Yes, agree that the rooms are getting older. The food is good. Gym is outdated with old equipment. I was told that the massage is outstanding but haven't tried it out yet. I stay here in January, April and will be back in June so we'll see how the weather is like in June because it rained most of the time in January and April.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've lead my Rail Tour groups through Vietnam for more than 20 years, but the most memorable, relaxing & peaceful stay was at this wonderful, tranquil resort situated on the coast of the South China Sea - 175 Kms north of Hue. Wonderful facilities (bungalows & villas), surrounded by forest pools amid beautiful gardens beside our own private beach, provided us with the ideal mid-tour place to relax & recharge. The staff were wonderful ...and not bad on the eye either! We will include this resort on our future tour itineraries ...for sure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Like other reviews have said, the staff outnumbers the guests. I actually liked it. It felt like my own personal resort. The beach is nice. We hung out there most of the day and just ordered drinks. The staff knows enough English to help out although don't expect any fluency.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam? Share your experiences!