We booked our stay in early April for 3 nights in a private villa in May and were looking forward it. Two nights before our arrival I sent an email to confirm our stay....no response. I sent another email the next day as well and finally got a response the day we arrived. We were driving in from Hue which was a 4 hour drive so we were already a bit tired from being in the heat. When we arrived we were greeted at their 4 star section (???) and after a few minutes were told that we need to be at another section of resort....the 5 star section. Luckily our driver had not left so he helped us get to the correct reception area. There were no signs directing us and he had to ask for directions twice....and we were on the hotel grounds! We finally made it to the villa reception area and were finally shown to our room. This 5 star section was completely deserted. We had booked a one bedroom, two bed villa. It was the off season, but we still had paid over $200/ night. ( this was the most we had spent anywhere in VN but were planning on treating ourselves). Imagine our disappointment when we walked into the villa that had a standard size bed and right next to it a roll away cot....not what we had booked...not what was advertised. We let the staff know that this would not work for us and needed to talk to a manager. For over 2 hours we went back and forth with various " managers", none of them who seemed to have any authority or any real desire to help. Their final solution was to put us in their 4 star section, which we were totally fine with, as long as they agreed to credit us the difference between the price paid for a private villa ( over $200/ night) versus their standard room ( around 75/ night). They would not agree to that!!!! The room they showed us was very old, had carpet that was visibly worn and smelt bad and just overall had a very run down feel to it. Not really sure how or why they were able to classify this as their 4 star section as it was clearly 2 star at bet. Because they would not agree to the refund of the difference we could not agree to their "solution".
We had been traveling in Vietnam for two and a half weeks at this point, spending an average of $75/ night at some amazing places,with phenomenal service so we were definitely shocked with what we were experiencing. We had asked repeatedly at this point to have our passports returned to us so we could go find another hotel in the area as it was getting late in the day,and without fail this would spark another round of unnecessary, unproductive conversation with one "manager" calling the other "manager" on the phone. This all came to an end when both of their shifts ended as they both left for the day without letting us know!! After nearly begging one of the bellboys for our passports, we finally got them back we got the first cab out of there. We found a nice little hotel in town where we pad a fraction if the price and were treated incredibly well. We both have been traveling for over 20 years and the experience at Sun Spa was definitely one of the worst ever experienced. The facilities were okay but the staff and service were abysmal and beyond disappointing.
Dong Hoi is a very small town so I guess this "resort" has the ability to be rated #1 as they are one of the few with beach front property, but in my book I would not even give them half a star. If spending time in this town, find a smaller hotel in town and just take the cab to the beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sun Spa Resort is one of the most beautiful Vietnam beach resorts. It is nestled on a private beach facing the Nhat Le Sea. The stunning tropical Sun Spa Resort offers an unforgettably romantic experience. Sun Spa Resort also is the only 5 star beach-front resorts with private Villas in Dong Hoi, Quang Binh, and it is just 10 minutes by bus from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam Hotel Dong Hoi
- Sun Hotel Dong Hoi
- Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam Dong Hoi