“10 out of 10 for Service” 4 of 5 stars

The Millrace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Off the N80, Bunclody, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Kildare, Ireland
“10 out of 10 for Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in The Millrace Hotel on 21st and 22nd of August last. I have stayed in the Hotel on lots of occasions as my partner was from Bunclody orrigionally.

My partner enjoyed the guinness and walnut bread at breakfast time and asked if we could buy some to take home.

Dermott the Manager made it his business to find us on our last morning and gave us the bread free of charge. There was nothing the staff could do to make our stay more enjoyable and I would recommend this hotel as a cheap and cheerful venue for a relaxing stay.

Food has improved too as they have a new female chief from South Africa.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of hotel seem to be quieter as the swimming pool is at the back and we could hear...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lorraine G, Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Cheerfulmeat43

Thank you very much for writing your lovely review.

I think our Walnut bread is becoming favourite with our guests and our chef will be delighted with your comments overall. I will also pass on your comments to Dermot for his kind gesture and that this only went another step in making your return stay with us a great one. Looking forward to seeing you back at the Millrace Hotel soon

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This Hotels ticks all the right boxes. It's right in Bunclody.The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is modern, Our room was clean with excellent housekeeping quite and all the mod cons. We had our dinner in the restaurant which was great. Breakfast was fine with everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel. So overall it was a very nice experience Eileen and I will be back again so well done to management and staff

Room Tip: Bring your car great place to tour Wexford Front room has less A/C noise
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear WellTraveled3939

I am delighted to read you lovely review on the Hotel, especially your comments on the quality of our housekeeping and our fantastic food which is offered in the restaurant.

I will pass on your kind words to all departments mentioned in your review. And we look forward to welcoming both you and Eileen back hopefully in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

Today as soft damp end of season rain fell we treated ourselves to afternoon tea in the Mill race hotel. Seated in wing backed Queen Anne chairs and looking out on verdant trees we were served a wonderful spread of savoury open sandwiches including chicken Caesar and ham with rocket and a selection of in house baked sweet cakes with pot after pot of very fine tea. Lovely classical music played softly and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves,

• Stayed August 2014
Dear 3gl

Thank you for your lovely review. It is certainly on days like this that we should all treat ourselves to an afternoon of relaxation and some delicious treats.

I am delighted you enjoyed our newly launched Afternoon Tea and we look forward to seeing you back at The Millrace Hotel very soon.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with a large wedding party and can't fault a thing. Despite so many people demanding different things at all sorts of times the attitude and attention of the staff was first class, nothing was too much trouble.
They sure know how to host a really good wedding too. The food was superb and all served at just the right temperature even with so many people eating at once. The pool was a bonus and kept the kids entertained on a wet and windy morning.
The restaurant meals we also thought were great and decent value.
The rooms were clean, warm and welcoming with all the usual facilities provided.
Well done guys we will be in for food next time we are in Ireland.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Glasg0wGirl68

Thank you for your lovely review. We are all delighted you enjoyed your break at The Millrace Hotel for Alan & Julie’s wedding and we thoroughly enjoyed having so many guests from across the water staying with us.

I hope you all made it home safely and we look forward to seeing you back at the Hotel the next time you are in Bunclody.

County Wexford, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I stayed in the Millrace with my family over a month ago. The food was excellent and the staff were very nice, however the room was terrible. There was no access to drinking water, there was a very bad sewage smell from the bathroom, the camp beds were in very bad condition and the TV was antiquated, there was no air conditioning in the room... I paid my bill and then commented on the room, I was told that someone would phone me..... I have sent them e-mails and as yet have not received a phone call from them.... This is very bad customer care, and certainly would not encourage me to stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter as there is no road traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear sanb34

Thank you for placing your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed some of the many great dishes we have available in the restaurant and I am also very happy to hear our staff made your stay all the nicer.

Our rooms are in the process of some refurbishments and we have just had new flat screen TV’s placed in all bedrooms.

I am unsure as to what is meant by your comment regarding no access to water and I would appreciate the chance to speak to you regarding this. I apologise that you have not received a reply to your previous emails but if you could please contact me directly on lgalvin@millracehotel.com or 053 93 75100 I will ensure a reply is sent by return.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Was unable to get accommodation for the Saturday night 23/08 but wasnt put off travelled over !60 miles! and booked B&/B wanted to dine in the Restaurant !!is still being advertised!! >>>and guess what restaurant closed<<<<< and despite booking with reception on the Friday was not informed it was not open. When we went to the Hotel during the day to confirm our booking still wasnt informed Restaurant not open by reception staff. Turned up at 8pm for meal to find only serving in the bar and paying Restaurant prices Food wasnt that great some of it cold one dish wasnt edible ......Just not good enough Please inform people who look to book the "RESTAURANT" IT'S CLOSED. Big difference bwtween eating in Reataurant and the Bar Mary M

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Lorraine G, Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear mahon 1000

Thank you for your recent review.

I am disappointed to hear that your dining experience with us was not to the standard we expect at the Hotel.

Our Lady Lucy Rooftop Restaurant is closed at present due to refurbishments which had delayed the opening of the restaurant but this should have been clearly explained when you had called to reserve and confirm your reservation for this I apologise and I will speak to all reception staff to ensure correct information is given to all guests.

I do hope that once the restaurant has reopened you will give us the opportunity to return and experience all the Rooftop restaurant will have to offer.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The people at reception were so lovely and welcoming! The staff were very accommodating and funny! I felt completely at ease and actually felt like I was being treated like royalty! The food was exceptional, and we were waited on hand and foot.
The rooms however let the hotel down a bit, the room was spotless, but the beds were not one bit comfortable, they squeaked extremely loud every time you tossed and turned, the walls were paper thin, for example we could hear every word of a conversation between people occupying the room beside us, amongst other things, and the noise of traffic outside made it hard to get a good nights sleep.
But other than that, it is a lovely hotel if your looking for excellent service.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Lorna D

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that all staff made you feel very welcome during your stay in the Hotel.

We have certainly noted your points with regards to the rooms and as well as our Mill Bar going through a transformation at present I am also happy to say our Bedrooms will also be having some refurbishments done in the coming months.

Again thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Millrace Hotel soon.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!