me and my fiance stayed here may bank holiday for the weekend. We got a travelzoo cheapy which was b&b and evening meal on both nights.
The hotel is situated just off the motorway so there is nothing much around it. There is a pub across the road that sells your average pub food, they also do buffet evenings, which include chicken nights, fish and chip nights, etc..
The first evening meal at the hotel was average, i ordered a fish dish, which was bland, the only thing that made it nice was the tomato sauce it came with. However our waitress was great, nice, helpful and bubbly. I cant remember her name, she had an irish name and only worked weekends. she is an asset to the hotel as most of the other staff were nice but did not go that little bit extra.
The kettle in our room did not work. I called reception and another kettle was with us within 5 minutes, great.
On our first morning we went for a swim and sauna. It was alittle difficult swimming in the pool as it is a funny shape and you couldnt really swim lengths or widths without trying to avoid other people. The jacuzzi and sauna were great, however the steam room was out of order.
Breakfast was as you normally get at a hotel, buffet style with plenty to choose from.
Drinks at the bar are expensive, especially the wine. On the second night we went to the pub over the road.
On our second evening i was surprised to be handed the menu and it was more or less the same as the night before, with only two other options, however we had the pork in cider gravy and this was alot nicer than the night before.
Anyone staying here i would suggest to go to Matlock, its about a 10-15 minute drive away and is lovely. We went on the heights of abraham, this is great for kids and adults and cost about £18 each, but they do have a family discount.
Im not totally sure if i would stay here again, I would if i got another deal. If the manager reads this I hope he passes on my positive comments to the waitress, she truely made a difference to our evening meal.
- Also Known As:
- Derbyshire Hotel South Normanton
- Derbyshire South Normanton
- The Derbyshire Hotel South Normanton, UK
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family-friendly and very comfortable, you'll feel relaxed from the moment you arrive. Near the heart of the Peak district where you will find delightful walks and spectacular views. Chatsworth House, fun-packed thrills of Alton Towers, and extensive shopping at East Midlands Outlet are all nearby. Enjoy our modern gym, indoor pool, spa bath and optional health & beauty treatments. Beautiful suites available for meetings and events, from conferences to weddings. If you are planning a trip abroad, the hotel is just 30 minutes from East Midlands Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Venere so you can book your The Derbyshire Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.