“A good place for conventions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Itaparica

You added Club Med Itaparica to your Saves list
Club Med Itaparica
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 13 Nazare | Conceicao Vera Cruz Bahia Cep., Itaparica, Ilha de Itaparica, State of Bahia 44 470-000, Brazil   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Itaparica
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
“A good place for conventions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days for a convention event. The place is beautiful and full of activities. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. The restaurant has more food that you can possibly imagine and aims to please every taste out there. Lots of Brazilian dishes if you're in the mood for some local delicacies. Since I was there for a convention I needed internet access and although it is reliable and wide-spread all over the resort, but it's a little expensive: R$150 for a week. Overall, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay as far as possible from the pool area if you plan to sleep. Otherwise, be prepared for some lou...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Jundiai, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Among the 3 Club Meds in within Brazil, we elected the Itaparica as the best, because the GOs are so dedicated to the guests.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

After exactly two years returned with my family (2 children) to meet with friends (12 people in total), spent 10 days. The place hasn't changed much, which could be good but also bad (not noticeable improvements.. I thought that all rooms would be renovated by now).

The main highlight of this Club is the fun, jokes and great sense of humor -vacation type that the Go's infuse to it. Duda the Manager, is full of energy and same goes for his lieutenants: Zane and Rick, they are really the heart of the place -kudos to all of them. One potential downside is that if you don't speak Portuguese I'm afraid one could miss a lot of what's going on.

After 2-3 days of spending most of the days doing all sorts of sports (tennis, squash, trapeze, golf, etc) my body needed a break and I joined the "fitness" group to do some stretching and relaxation. Mariana, "Mari", the teacher, does a superb job... great professional and very effective at helping everyone find his/her "inner peace".

My wife spent a LOT of time in the trapeze. A new leader had just arrived, Byron, an Aussie who was coming from a Med club in Indonesia and then Australia. Great chap, very quickly he was making a positive impact and we are sure he's a great addition to Med Itaparica. In general, the whole Circus team (Paulinho, Alexandre, Monica) were very good, both with adults and children.

A couple of suggestions:

- More GO's should be fluent in Spanish (or english) at the Mini-Club. Almost all of the activities were in Portuguese with minimal or no translation, so some children were put off by it and didn't want to return the next day.

- Capoeira lessons could be offered. I'm sure it would be a big hit.

- The Club has lost its preference for the Transfer to use the ferry, so now it has to queue like all the other cars. That is nightmarish and forces you to leave the club 6-7 hours before your plane departs. Something must be done to shorten the Transfer time and assure 100% reliability.

- Having just once in 10 days the "Romeo y Julieta" bread (cheese with goiaba) was a letdown. This observation is similar to one from a fellow TripAdvisor commentator who noticed that the white chocolate bread appeared seldomly. When I asked about it they promised it three times and apparently they continually had issues to prepare it... in the end it was ready only once -and for dinner! Why keeping the good stuff out of the menu?

In general, great experience again, very energizing and relaxing. Just keep in mind the long transfer time and the language issue. And be prepared to spend most of your time doing sports and by the pool, rather than by the beach.

Sao Paulo, Brasil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

So many points to write:
Transportation: we buy a shuttle through the hotel that brings and takes from the airport. The output of the airport was agreed upon time but we had a problem in return. We left the hotel at 15 pm, but only managed to catch the Ferry at 17 pm. This is because the transfer did not schedule time on the ferry. Thus, we arrive in Salvador in the rush hour, causing nearly 4 hours to get to the airport at risk of losing the plane.

The hotel is very well maintained, but I noticed that some activities had scrapped material, which need to be exchanged for new ones. Gardening is great. The pool is the center of activities. When the hotel is full, it is difficult to find chairs to sit. The beach is small but fine. Great for kids to play when the tide is low and perfect for swimming when the tide is high.

Rooms: the rooms are renovated. I’ve noticed that they are old but well preserved. Beautiful, spacious. But we had a big problem with mosquitoes (perhaps because our room was by the lake).

Food: for all tastes. Fish, meat, pasta and salads in addition to tasty desserts. All with exceptional quality. From Sunday on with increased occupancy the service felt a little worse, but nothing that could compromise the quality. The drinks are good quality, except for juices. The caipirinhas are well done but at some times (specially near lunch) there was too much waiting and only one person preparing the drinks.

GO: Special attention to the staff of golf, sailing, tennis and circus. They are great
Would come back, no doubt ...

Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My family and I were impressed with Club Med Itaparica. The facilities were outstanding. The rooms, while not luxurious, served their purpose. (The point of Club Med is not to stay in your room. ) The buffet meals were varied and flavorful. The staff, from the GO's to the service staff were all very attentive.
This may not be the Club Med to go to if you have children who are age 4 and younger. This Club Med has programs more geared to kids 5 and older.
I took the daily group tennis lessons and found them to be very helpful, fun at my skill level. I did not get a chance to play golf, but the on resort golf course looked interesting.
One final note, the beach is a reef protected beach. The waters are calm, but do not expect to see Caribbean like waters.

bryanblaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

So it took me a while to write my review for Itaparica Club Med. I was there from February 26 to March 6, with the intention of taking advantage of its proximity to Salvador for Carnaval. It was a mix of good and bad. As a disclaimer, I have been going to only adult Club Meds in the US and Europe since I was 18, and this was my first time at a family club med (29 when I went). In total, I have been to 13 different Club Meds in the Americas and Europe.

Location: Itaparica is an island about an hour ferry from the city of Salvador. To get there, you take a bus or taxi from the airport, continue on a ferry (with your transportation) and then drive to the resort. It took me 3 hours to do the transport, though I would say on average it is closer to 2.5. As I normally do, I booked the Club Med "land only" package and transfer through Margarita Travel (www.margaritatravelhut.com) with Nathalie and then organized my transport on my own.

Language: This was more of a difficulty with the GMs than with the GOs as I spoke only English, but in general I found lots of people that I could talk with by just speaking English.

Beach: The beach was not the prettiest of club med beaches, and in general, people spent more time around the pool. But I spent quite a bit of time there, particularly when I wanted to relax. The sand was nice, it was definitely quite long, it was private for Club Med, was surrounded by palm trees, and allowed you to "get away" a little.

Food: Good, but a smaller selection than some of the ones I have been to (the fact that my last one was Kemer, which had an incredibly large food selection, probably weighs into this perception). Strangely, the white chocolate bread was only out a few times during my 9 days there.

General feel of club: Given the family nature, and the fact it was about half full, it was definitely quieter than what I have been used to. The night club tended to have a smaller, though loyal, crowd that was attending. The majority of people there were parents in their 30s-40s with kids (normally in the 5-10 range). The GO's were absolutely wonderful and I came away with some great friends.

Beauty of the club: I already mentioned the beach. The layout of the club is very green, with the rooms surrounding a very pretty lagoon. The way it was set up made it relatively easy to get around and moving around led you through nice scenary. Not the prettiest club med I have been to, but pretty.

Rooms: The rooms were charming, and nicer than say Club Med Turkoise, though still they are Club Med type rooms. The fact that most had views of the lagoon though was a plus.

Excursions: Normally I do not spend much time outside of the Club. However, given the quieter nature, as well as what is nearby, I did a number of excursions. I went to Salvador once during the day and twice at night for Carnaval. I also went to Morro de São Paulo. Salvador is a beautiful city and its older section is absolutely charming with beautiful and colorful buildings, cobblestone streets, and good shopping (not just the really touristy stuff). Carnaval there was indeed an experience and much better than Rio (I did both during this trip). Though if you want to go to Salvador for Carnaval, I would recommend getting in the VIP sections (camarote), and going with the one Club Med organizes (much easier, that way you know people, and its safer). Morro de São Paulo -- a nearby island with white sand beaches, crystal clear water, and no cars -- is breathtaking and DEFINITELY worth a trip. I did a day trip but could see spending at least another day (it is probably too quiet to do more than that). Though it apparently has good night life, as well.

Weather: When you are getting that far north, it definitely gets warm and humid. I was there late Feb and Mar and that was still hot. The water was warmer than I would like (particularly in Morro de Sao Paulo, where I could not spend much time in the water) and at night it was definitely hot enough that people were sweating a little bit (though to be fair, Kemer was hot too when I went in the summer). I would recommend avoiding being any closer to the summer than I was (I was there at the end).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed for 13 days. We were 5 adults and 4 children. No one was disappointed. We were greeted upon arrival by the staff clapping, singing and bearing drinks. The festive mood continued until our send-off. There were plenty of activities to do at all day.... or a nice quiet stretch of beach. We had read poor reviews about visits in the past and spoke to the manager about this. He said much had been done on all fronts in the last 6 months since he had been there. The food was fresh and tasteful, the grounds very well kept, the rooms clean and practical and the staff always happy and helpful. We have no regrets about making our way to Itaparica and would recommend it to anyone look for a place to relax. 2 thumbs UP!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Itaparica? Share your experiences!