The Promenade is owned by a fashion company and attention to detail here makes this a very appealing stop, especially after the arduous journey from Madras to reach Pondicherry.
The Presidential Suite (reasonable by Indian top-class standards) is a winner with a beautiful tub and a room in addition to the bedroom.
Food is acceptable, nothing fantastic and service hours are not around the clock so find out about meal times in advance. If you don't make breakfast by 10:30 you will be out of luck.
The bar is a nice gathering spot for some French-speaking locals who are friendly and service is good here. Mixed drinks are OK, but nothing to write home about.
Front desk has good service with one exception of a visitor who asked for me by my first name and was told nobody by that name was staying there. Understandable but this is the sort of thing at a smaller, boutique hotel that a front desk person should be able to put two-and-two together.
Be very careful about the auto rickshaw drivers around the hotel. They will try to rip off tourists and in case when I was taken to the wrong destination and refused to pay I came close to engaging in a full physical fight. Always note down the license number of the rickshaw and negotiate fare in advance. You should also try to get the doorman to assist even though they appear to be reluctant. Fortunately, if the weather is clear you should be able to walk to most any destination in Pondicherry from the hotel.
The most annoying aspect of this hotel is charging for the internet by the hour and one must purchase the one hour in advance. There should be a flat rate for guests for the day.
- Also Known As:
- The Promenade Hotel
- The Promenade Hotel Pondicherry
- Promenade Hotel Pondicherry
- Promenade Pondicherry
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Promenade is a luxury boutique hotel on the ocean front of one of India's most beautiful and romantic towns. Most of the rooms overlook the shimmering waters of the Bay of Bengal. Stylishly designed rooms with wooden flooring, specially designed luxury bedding, LCD TV, work desk, Wi-Fi, tea-coffee maker, fully loaded mini bar & electronic safe. DVD player and movies on demand service. All rooms are accented with exquisitely crafted pure leather accessories & an inspiring leather head board. All baths come with a hand dryer, bath tub, magnifying mirror and international 'Bodyshop' toiletries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your The Promenade reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.