“Absolutely delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Thames, New Zealand
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a great meal here, it is located in such a calm and peaceful location. The food is moderately priced and definitely worth it. I had the seafood pizza and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten!

For desert I had the pana cotta and that as well was delicious. The presentation of the food was also amazing. Highly recommend this place, it's great if you are wanting a stop while on the Hauraki Rail Trail!

96% Recommend
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Recently a group of friends and I were able to experience the beautiful atmosphere, amazing rustic food, nd wonderful surrounding that the falls retreat offers. It was a great night nd we really enjoyed ourselves nd the food! The waiter was a little bit hard to understand but it didn't put a damper on the evening! We were also served by a local kiwi girl who was very friendly nd was happy to answer every question we threw her way. Her positive attitude nd attentiveness made the night even more great!
But what really did it for us was the quality of the food! It is well worth the trip up there. I had the pork belly! Beautifully cooked best ever had!
This is one place I'd defiantly come back to!

Visited December 2013
Tauranga
“Could not have been better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

As I referred to in my review of The Falls Resort (The Bistro is the onsite restaurant) the food her is amazing. Brad King & his team are fabulous as choosing seasonally appropriate food and cooking them in inventive ways to perfection. There wasn't an item on the menu we wouldn't have chosen and found ourselves ordering 3 courses just to try a bit of everything. The food was just superb and was matched with some fabulous wines at great prices. This is truly outstanding food cooked in a lovely environment. I hesitate to recommend it in case it gets too busy but can't help saying how wonderful it was. We will be back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“RUSTIC but not our thing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Rustic, relaxed, casual, quaint; plus dog and child friendly are terms that come to mind in describing Bistro at the Falls. Our November visit was on a great day with the trees providing a beautiful setting and plenty of shade.

The much talked of pizza was of a very good standard with a thin crust and enough topping but expensive a $20, not the best seafood pizza I have ever eaten. However the soup at $14.50 was disappointing and turned out to be a thin and rather tasteless broth especially when we asked for it to be dairy and gluten free. When supermarkets are crammed with gluten free breads it is not a lot to expect it to be available.

The wine list is short but adequate with most wines available by the glass. The French Rhone Rose was disappointing being contaminated with TCA, corked. I was somewhat amused when I returned the wine the wine waitress only to have her search the glass for particles of cork – so much for training!

I’m sure if you can accept the city prices for average food and the style then OK, but it is not for us and we will not be back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The food was amazing, especially the snapper! Lovely location and atmosphere to share a wine and good food. The service was great but did feel a bit rushed. Definitely coming back!

• Visited October 2013