“Not as good as we hoped for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Althay Apartments

and 1 more site!
You added Althay Apartments to your Saves list
Althay Apartments
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Valle De Los Mosquitos 4, 35627 Costa Calma, Pajara, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not as good as we hoped for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from 29/09 to 06/10 on an all inc basis. After reading other reviews we had hoped that it would be a nice relaxing break but that wasn't the case. Upon arrival we were shown to our room which looked clean but slightly dated. We were in room 86, right at the end of the complex next to a dust road and houses for the locals. The beds were so uncomfortable that after the first night, we moved the mattresses into the living room and put the sofa cushions on top of them, then the sheets. The breakfasts were ok, a lot of choice but the lunches and evening meals were bad. I tried a number of different dishes and each tasted bland and very much the same, regardless of which type of meat they said it was. The turning point for me was whilst getting a plate of chips and salad (which I lived off whilst there) I went to get some sweetcorn which was in a tray next to the other salad items. This corn must have come from a tin as it was in some type of water/brine, but upon scooping some up the water had turned to a jelly and the smell was not pleasant. I made my husband double check to make sure that I wasn't overreacting and he confirmed that this sweetcorn must have been days old for the water to turn to gunk and smell. I walked out without eating. We bought bits from the local supermarket and ate mainly sandwiches and crisps after that. For 5 of the 7 nights we were woken by rockets being fired from the local houses right next to our room. The first 4 nights this happend between midnight and 1am but on the 5th night, this happend at 5am. I accept that this had nothing what so ever to do with the owners or other guests, and I do know that it annoyed the locals as much as it did us ( we spotted a couple of locals and security trying to catch the idiot) but still it was yet another disappointing part of our holiday. We were told that on our first night, there was a fight by the pool during which somebody held a broken bottle to someone elses throat, but as we were at the other end of the complex didn't hear this. Costa calma is a very quiet place, with not many places to eat and the shops seem to sell the same things. We hired a car for the day and drove round the island, which in my opinion is more or less the same as costa calma. One thing I will warn you about if going with young chidlren is the nudists. Whilst driving round the island we stopped at a couple of beaches, which looked normal, but then a couple who were totally naked walked past us. I just assumed that the beaches we were visiting we're a bit more relaxed than costa calma beach, but that wasn't the case, as the next day (whilst relaxing on the same part of costa calma beach we had been on all week) a guy drops his pants and lets everything hang out for the world to see. My hubby and I laughed it off and looked the other way, but I wouldn't have been as calm if my daughters had been with us. I dont know if this is the exception or the rule, but thought it worth mentioning incase you do decide to go on a family holiday. I certainly would not go back to the hotel, resort or infact the island. Despite how lovely the staff were, the holiday was not what we expected or hoped for. I would never tell anybody never to go to a place, everything written above is my opinion based on my experience. If you do decide to go, then all I will say is that I hope your trip is more enjoyable than ours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Spent a week here with my husband, daughter and her fiancé. Nice and quiet like we expected and hoped for. If you want night life then you can with a short taxi ride. Food and drink plentiful with good choices! Staff friendly, areas kept clean! I think some people just love to moan and don't believe everything you read!
Ok so not much to do at night but we got our drinks and sat on our balconies then went to get more when wanted! Or you can sit around the pool if you want to mix with other people.
We rented a car and found a lovely beach 10 mins drive away the water was warm and clear, sand lovely but be warned there are nudists there too!
All in all a lovely relaxing week in the beautiful sunshine which is just what we wanted!
Thank you it was beyond our expectations after reading earlier reviews

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived just before official check in time which was not an issue for them at all. Antonio on reception gave a fantastic welcome, showed us around and gave us all the information we needed.
Antonio is fantasically hard working, he appears to be around 24 hours a day, if he's not on the desk he can be found and will even open up the supermarket in the middle of his dinner if needed (not that I did, but I did see him do it for others) I even saw him spend nearly an hour on the phone for someone acting as a translator, this is certainly not something all managers would do. He always had a smile on his face when you saw him. This goes for all the staff they really could not be freindlier, regardless of their language skills, they go the extra mile to assist everyone.
The food was fantastic - really good choice for breakfast, toast, cereal, continental or full english with juice on tap, soft drinks and every conceivable chice of hot drink.
Lunch was always good, hot food with a choice of two or three dishes. Chips were available everyday which I've seen a few complain about but there was also always a choice of other sides so I really don't know what people expect! Also if you go out for the day book a picnic the day before and you pick it up at breakfast the next day.
The evening meal was again a huge choice of quality food, generally three or four main dishes with a vegetarian option if required. Loads of sides, salad, chips or wedges, and boiled spuds with vegtables. Again don't really see how they could do more. Ice cream on tap whenever you wanted it, 7 flavours per day with at least 10 different choices over the week we were there.
The beer was good and you were free to serve yourself, in fact you are encouraged to do so and thanked for doing so as it saved the servers time. I also enjoyed the whisky and my sevring appeared to get bigger and bigger each time, but I did also make the effort to learn the languages of the staff which may have helped. The Albanian lady was especially happy that myself and my girlfriend were thanking her in her own langauge.
The rooms were fantastic, stunning if basic apartment with comfortable beds (I do like a hard bed though, these things are subjective) Excellent shower, didn't use the TV at all. Fridge usefull, nice terrace area. Cleaned every two days, including the day before we left. As some have said the room could get very hot, but we found that leaving the curtains shut while out, coupled with having all doors open when you were in meant that the heat dissipated before bed allowing a comfortable sleep during the night even without a fan. The pool looked clean and I saw people cleaning regulary, although we didn't use it at all due to prefering the beach and sea. We hired a car as we both like to explore properly whilst away and the car only cost cost £20 more than tranfers by coach. This meant we could explore the Island well, also as a ginger guy with a pale skinned GF meant we could hide in the car when the heat / sun got too much for us. I would recommend a car for here, I wouldn't fancy the walk to the beach then further exploration without the aircon close by! Also recemmend the caves on the way to, and the church in, Paraja. The lighthouse near Los Playitos which is a steep single track road but well worth the nervous drive to see the views and generally seeing this stunning landscape.
All in all a fantastic week was spent here. To give you an idea of how much we loved it, on the drive to the airport we discussed going back, within a week of getting back we have rebooked for April next year. I simply can't wait to get back there.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

we have just returned from an 11 night stay at the althay. we have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. yes its basic but rooms are clean and the staff go out of their way to ensure you have a loverly time. we read the reviews on here before we went and were a little unsure what to expect..but we loved it. yes its quiet but thats what we wanted. Tthe food was good you could always choose something. pork chops, chicken,beef salad and fish..no its not a la carte but neither was the price..a holiday is what you make it and we had a fab time.

Room Tip: ask to hire a fan it gets a little hot at night.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Althay apartments are situated towards the edge of Costa Calma, which means you will have to walk to either the beach or shops/ restaurants. The apartments were cleaned every other day to a high standard, with the towels changed. the apartments were adequately furnished with all you need for a quiet holiday, except Air Con. (It was very warm at night, so if this botheres you either look elsewhere, or hire a fan from reception, €3). The meals tended to lean towards german tastes, however for breakfast there was a choice of cereals, cheese and ham, boiled, scrambled or fried eggs, bacon, continental sausage, beans, mushroom etc. Lunches and evening meals centred around various meats, i.e. chicken, beef, pork and once, rabbit accompanied by vegetables potatoes, usually chips, but also fresh salad. There was also fresh fruit and some very sticky pastries. I will admit, its not 'A La Carte' but is OK and the choice is large. Did hear a few mumbles of discontent, however, these were from people who appeared to be unwilling to try something outside of a 'ready meal'.
The pool was not of gigantic proportions, however, it was cleaned daily, except Sunday, and was refreshing, i.e. not that cold once you were in! For an evening, you can do what you wish for entertainment, stay in the apartment, (TV = €1 for 3 hours) or have a drink by the pool or in the restaurant. However, it is quiet and kids would go stir crazy, the same could be said for Costa Calma in general. It's a 15 min slow walk to the beach, up hill all the way back! and some people, in the dunes sunbathe 'au naturale' so be aware.
All in all, it was a peaceful time at Althay, with the exception of the last night when the German 'youth' decided to party on their veranda until 02:30 and ridiculed myself for asking them to quieten it down a bit!
Value for money, yes, it's a 2/3 star, so don't expect anything more and then protest about it on these pages. Transfer from airport was around an hour. (Also there are quite a few cats which hang around that are looked after by a charity).

Room Tip: You need to avoid getting a room near the road, can be noisy, if you can get an elevated room, you c...
Daresbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a lovely quiet week here with my husband, the rooms are clean and the staff are very hard working!! Antonio on reception is extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived late in the early hours and they had sandwiches and drinks waiting for us. The pool area is nice and clean and we always got a sun longer, excellent value for money.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I just got back (18th Sept) after 10 days at the Althay Apartments. What to say? From the outset the staff went more than the extra mile to help. Had emailed a month earlier to advise that my wife is disabled. On arrival we were given apartment 28 the closest to the complex. We received a five star service from a two star complex. Food was great, plenty of choice and well cooked. The chicken was to die for. Rolls were always fresh and I never once saw lunchtime leftovers incorporated into evening meals. The ice cream fas fantastic withe Lemon and peach being our favourites. Yes it is a quiet complex with no entertainment-that's why we picked it. Check out reviews before you go. If you want all singing and dancing with lager louts go elsewhere possibly to one of the more British areas. The guests were a mixture of German and British. Everyone got on with each other and children there were well behaved. Also the British as much as the Germans had towels on sunbeds but we could always find space around the pool. Never saw anyone smashed out of their heads on the all inclusive bar. All in all a great holiday and I would go back there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Althay Apartments? Share your experiences!