“Just a quick review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort to your Saves list
SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avda. Augustin Millares, 2, 35627 Costa Calma, Pajara, Fuerteventura, Spain (Formerly Sunrise Costa Calma Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Costa Calma
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Just a quick review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed in June 2012 so my review is a bit overdue! I'm going to be quick. The food is good, the hotel was clean (not exceptionally clean though) the room was very comfortable, the pool was great and so was the beach. The location is fine but the whole area is very quiet, don't expect much night life or major shopping trips, you will be disapoiinted. I would recommend a long walk down the beach to the right of the hotel, there are some great areas to have a swim and you will see a few 'sights' in the nudist areas!! One of the best things about the hotel is being able to feed the chipmunks on the beach. Get some nuts from the supermarket just down the road and the chipmunks will love you. They come and take the nuts right out of your hands and even sit on you to eat them! I had a good deal for two weeks all inclusive so didn't expect fantastic, but for what I paid I was impressed, had a great time and would recommend if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

784 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We travelled on the 3rd July for 7 night stay , When we arrived my wife and myself were sent into the dining room for lunch , dining room it's more like a free for all at a fun fair . An experience I certainly want to forget .
The dining room should have 2 sittings as it certainly is not peaceful the hot drinks machine is like playing space invaders and sometimes doesn't work at all , the staff are lovely except the trolley man who is not content unless he tries to run you over .
The gents are forced to we're long trousers , except this is not always the case as we saw for ourselves.
.The room we were allocated was certainly not what we paid for , a sea view but having said that they soon put it right for us and it was I have to say very nice over looking the pool and sea .
The outside furnishings are very shabby and tired ALL want replacing .
The pool is run by lifeguards who I have to say run it far to strict I.e No ball games , No children's inflatables and anything else they deem to stop you enjoying yourself , You have been warned so
if you have children leave the inflatables at home
We were I thought all inclusive but had to wait until 1600 hours for an ice cream and the queue was so long .
There is a rule about putting towels on sun beds , don't be fooled as towels were put on beds as early as 6 o'clock in the morning and not used in some cases until after lunch , so the moral is if you can't beat them join them as after 10 o'clock they are gone also the sun bed cushions all want replacing as they are well worn out as are the sun beds .
That is the bad points now for the good points .
The hotel is clean and tidy and the room was cleaned to a very high standard every day , you also got a swan made out of a towel left on your bed also in the bathroom also other shapes that the housemaid makes for you .
The food is very nice a lot of choice also the bar staff are very good they can serve up to 6 people so don't be fooled when they look at you to call up what you want .
The beach. bar is very nice for drinks again bar staff very nice .
The bus service is very good but it is a 30 minute bus ride to the closest town for shops .
Having stayed a week at this hotel I would say it certainly is not a 4 star I would say 3 star at best and will certainly not be going back

Room Tip: High floor sea vie
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner and i arrived here around midnight on 29th June 2013, Check-in was quick and we were given maps of the hotel and shown to the resturant where a supper had been made.
We were in room 515 in the Nautilius Beach side of the hotel, with a beautiful sea view. The room was very spacious, with a good size fridge and TV (although none of the channels were english) Beds were a good size and reasonably comfy. Room had air con which did get rather noisy at times. Bathroom was a good size and modern and all in good working order. Balcony was a good size and again a lovely view. Rooms were cleaned daily, towels and sheets also changed. The maids did lovely things with towels such as butterflies and swans on the beds. We also paid for the safe which cost us 35.50 euros for 10 days (24.50 for a week i believe). Also for a 10 euro deposit you can use the hotel beach towels that can be replaced for 1 euro each.
You could never starve at the hotel. All meals are served in the main resturant. Breakfast consisted of everything from cereals, pastries and fresh fruit to eggs, bacon, omlettes, pancakes and toasties. Evening meals also varied, and whilst we were there we had an italian and spanish theme night. We prefered to eat from the snack bar at lunch time where there is less choice than in the resturant, which suited us fine. There was still a variety such as salads, pasta, pizza, burgers, fish and stews. All the food was lovely and fresh, can honestly say i didnt have a bad meal here. The drinks in the resturant are all self service, including beer, wine, sangria, hot drinks and soft drinks. Soft drinks were coke, fanta and sprite. The staff work really hard and couldnt do enough for us. Especially Maria. Although the hotel was busy we never had an issue finding a table, however on our last day a german guest did force us off our table. The only issue with the resturant is that German guests didnt seem to understand the concept of queing so it got a bit hectic when getting food and often got pushed and shoved out of the way.
The hotel has a number of pools which were all well maintained and clean. There is also a pool bar. There are a lot of sun loungers however yes you do have to fight for them. In the 11 days we stayed there we managed to get sun loungers on the beach once! Germans took them all by about 7.30 am. Although it is clearly stated that you cannot reserve sun loungers, the hotel does not action this. The lifeguards get funny about the pool, your not allowed any inflatables or snorkels etc.
The animation team work hard all day providing entertainment. Mostly aimed at children but they do water gym, air riflilng and volley ball for adults. Evening entertainment was often a bit cheesy but you get that everywhere. The bar at night serves all local alcohol however wasnt very strong and ends at 2300.
In costa calma there are a few shops and bars. A small supermarket at the end of the road, which is cheaper than the shop in the hotel. There is a bus stop at the end of the road where a bus takes you to Jandia every half an hour for 5.30 euros (for 2 people). On a wednesday and sunday there is the market.
On check out note that the all inclusive finishes at 12pm so the hotel expect you to pre pay for food and drinks, our wrist bands were not cut off so we got out of this one. A lovely hotel and a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Pay for side view was well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have just returned from a lovely week's break with my boyfriend, our first trip to Fuerteventura. I did a lot of research before booking as I knew nothing about the island, and reading some of the reviews on here made me slightly sceptical after booking the hotel. However, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. We arrived at 11pm on the 6th July; coach journey was pleasant and the Thomas Cook rep was helpful in telling us how long the journey would take etc. without being over enthusiastic. As this was our first package holiday, we were a bit sceptical when arriving at the hotel. Reception area lovely and clean, white marble and nice quirky chandeleirs add character whilst making it look stylish. Checking in was a little bit hectic, with everyone on the coach trying to get there first, they take your passport to check in and tell you that you will not get it back until the next morning. Not sure if this is standard procedure but I was a little wary of leaving my passport around; however, when we went to pay for the safe later, the receptionist had finished with my passport so gave it back to me which I appreciated. After checking in we were summoned (rather loudly) to gather round to listen to information about the hotel; it is correct that men have to wear trousers (or at least 3/4 lengths, below the knee) for dinner, luckily my partner was aware of this but others were told to 'buy some' otherwise! This may have been a joke but this whole introduction felt a little bit like a school trip! We were given maps and info on dining times and then sectioned off with certain staff members to be shown to our room, again feeling like we were following a teacher! However our room was lovely, 3088 on the same floor as the reception, making getting to the food and pool quick and easy. Basic décor, beige and green, but a spacious room and bathroom which were clean and tidy everyday. TV only has BBC world news, Eurosport and Sky news for English.The only shame was that our balcony was not the best, our view being a back alley and other balconies; however, we didn't pay for a sea view so can't complain.

Now on to the food; me and my partner are big foodies and I was pleasantly surprised by the selection and quality of the food. Breakfast was good, churros and homemade omelettes being particularly good; fresh bread very nice. However, other cooked stuff was the same every morning; bacon, beans, egg, frittata and frankfurters. Luckily dinner was very varied and lovely! Never experienced over-crowdedness, always found a nice place to sit; I recommend the extension/conservatory area which has nice views of the pool. Some people push in, but that's life and it doesn't wreck the holiday! Soft drinks on tap were fab, unfortunately Fanta limon was overly popular so quite often ran out. Alcoholic drinks were great in the evening.

We ate in the snack bar at lunch time as couldn't face 3 buffets! Pizza, pasta, salad, chips and cake and ice cream as standard; sometimes stews or chicken too. We faced the snack bar and sea, backing on to the pool which was a nice space and not overcrowded. Sun is dangerously strong, the breeze makes it comfortably warm though so don't be fooled! However this creates a lovely temperature which enabled us to sit out from 10.30-5 every day. Quite a few flies but not a major issue. Beach is beautiful and the sea is the clearest I've ever seen, we went on a jet ski run by a company on the beach- 40 euros for 15 mins on your own jet ski or 50 euros for 2 people on one. The pool was quite cold but I think it's relative as because the air temp is warm because of the wind, the pool is not as much of a relief from very very hot weather. I think it's a shame that inflatables aren't allowed, nor goggles but that's not a defining feature in making a holiday fun. Having said that, I saw people with goggles on and no one seemed to mind.

The evening entertainment was tacky but that's part of the fun. Didn't like that it was inside, so we never watched it but sat in the bar to get the atmosphere. Suggest taking a card game or something to do, cards seem to be a big thing there. Something really nice about the hotel are the photographers who offer (but aren't pushy) to take pictures of you and you family before or after dinner and you can choose to buy different sizes/ cds for 5, 10 or 15 euros if you want.

Nearby Jandia and Morro Jable are ok for a day trip, 5,20 for two people one-way, get the 5 for journey there and return, or 1 or 10. They are good for shopping and bars, but a little shabby. Beach is nice though, look out for the very friendly chipmunks!

Staff were friendly and attentive, never felt unwelcome or too much hassle. Look in the book cupboard by reception for second-hand reads, found a few gems there! The gift shops are also very good.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed a holiday which was initially a bit of a risk considering we are a young couple trying to see new places. I would recommend this hotel for value for money, especially in terms for food, as well as a beautiful location with breathtaking sea views. Give it a try :)

Room Tip: Worth getting a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at Hotel for one week AI from 22nd June. We arrived at the Hotel late evening, were given our room immediately, were told the restaurant was open if we wanted to eat, wasn't much there.
Our room was satisfactory in the Nautilus Beach, we asked if we could change to a sea view and were told by a rude and curt receptionist that we would have to pay 30 euros if we wanted to change.
We paid 25 euros for the wi-fi for the week - it didn't work properly all week, informed the reception but they were not helpful or forthcoming with a refund. The hotel facilities are good, the pool is cold and no fun allowed!. The food is plentiful but they fully cater for Germans, and they represent food the next day at lunch from previous evening disguised as something else. The only british TV channel is Sky News, would be nice to have at least a few english entertainment channels, as there are quite a few of us english paying good money to stay in their hotel.
The entertainment is cheesy but they do try, you can't get a drink after 11pm so stock up before that time, or you have to pay!
We had a late return flight and booked a room to shower and change for the next day, our room number was written on the alloted time, when we asked on checking out we were told by a very arrogant and rude receptionist called Benjamin that our name was not down and it wasn't available so it was clearly given to someone else! he very rudely pointed out that we could use the showers as shown on the map, which turned out to be located in the toilets - smelly - no thanks! I asked to see a Manager and was told no-one available, but in the room behind i saw Fernando Aleman, whose photograph is displayed in the reception as a manager, he is a very rude person too and they could both benefit from a bit of Customer Service training. They have jokes in German, laughing and you just know they are taliking about you, this made us feel uncomfortable.
Management are very arrogant and disrespectful, and in my opinion the heads of SBH need to retrain and restructure their senior management.Francisco and Dougie were very helpful, so it is the minority who are making a negative lasting memory of our stay at this hotel which could be excellent if not for these few people bringing your hotels reputation down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at the SBH Costa Calma Beach from 29th of June to 10th of July. Travelled as a group of 6 teenagers. Arrived at 12 o'clock at night where the reception staff were really helpful, giving us the keys to our rooms and a map with the key opening times for all of the restaurants and bars.

Surprisingly it was never hard to find 6 sunbeds near each other (even after we arrived back from a trip at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.)
The pools were really well kept but were a little cold so you couldn't stay in for too long, however it was nice to have a quick dip to cool off.
By far the best part of this hotel was the Animation team, their dedication and enthusiasm was amazing :) Always making you aware of what activities were available and occasionally stopping at your sunbeds for a chat. The entertainment at night was not the best quality however it was always enjoyable to watch, especially the magic show.
Almost everyday after the show the floor was opened for a disco till 11 o'clock which played a variety of music so everyone could enjoy it.

This hotel is great for families with 2 kids clubs available one for younger children and one for 11-17 year olds so no chance of boredom for at least 4 hours a day (2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.)

The food was good, however being an island there was a lot of fish and sometimes it was difficult to find some meat to eat but there was a lot of choice, breakfast being especially good. The waiters and bar staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on Saturday 30th June at 11.15pm, to be greeted by the receptionist, who quickly explained everything, also advised us that they had kept the restaurant open for us to have a bite to eat which was a lovely thought. We stayed in the second part of the hotel (Room 521), which we believe was the Nautilas beach, which the Costa Calma must have brought out, as the hotels were connected by a passageway, the rooms were small, but had everything we needed, cleaners made it clean every day, and we had a sea view. The hotel is 75% German, and some liked to push in the queues were quite rude, but you can take that.

The food was amazing, the restaurant was huge, literally so much choice and the food was never left empty for long. The chefs work so hard as do the waiting staff. I have never been to an all inclusive where you can serve yourself soft drinks, wine (inc. Sangria) and lager, so that was great. We were disappointed that they didn’t provide bottles of water. They had taps that you could fill up your glass, but you had to buy bottles of water.

We stayed mostly at the small pool, and a couple of days on the beach. The pool water was cold, but this was a welcome change to the hot temperatures in the daytime. That pool bar opened at 12 and closed at 5, and there was another beach bar that opened at 10, and closed at 6. It was a shame that this wasn’t open later, as there were only 2 bars in the evening, and they took forever to get a drink, as it was so busy. Take a cardigan if you are going to sit outside in the evening, the temperature drops dramatically, and you end up quite chilly. There was never an iissue with sunbeds, apaprt from the beach, where it got busy early – Sunbeds were gone by 8am on the beach, whereas it would be about 9.30 before all the pool ones were gone.

The two things I was annoyed was - 1, The wifi. I was told by the travel operator (Thomas Cook) that it was free in the reception – It wasn’t, there was a 25 euro charge for the week. The receptionist said I wouldn’t get the wifi in our room as it was so far away, so I had to keep going up to reception, then I tried it 1 night on my iPad and it worked in the room!
And 2 – We were getting picked up at 5.40pm and you have to check out of your room at 12, or they wanted 38 Euros. We decided that was a waste of money, especially as the receptionist said that we could have a shower in the health suite. It turns out the shower is in a toilet! Alot of people were complaining about this, as it wasn’t hygienic. They also wanted you to pay 5 euros each for food and drink after the 12pm, which we thought was harsh, considering he didn’t get to the hotel on the first day til gone 11.

All in all, a great holiday, just a few things that let it down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort? Share your experiences!