“" Beware if you don't want to return home with more than a tan!"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Grand Teguise Playa

You added Be Live Grand Teguise Playa to your Saves list
Be Live Grand Teguise Playa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda del Jablillo s/n, 35509 Costa Teguise, Lanzarote, Spain (Formerly Occidental Grand Teguise Playa)   |
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Menai Bridge, United Kingdom
“" Beware if you don't want to return home with more than a tan!"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I never thought I would have the need to write this review as it is not something I ever do. However I feel I really must make people aware of aspects of this hotel(some serious) which differ somewhat from other recent reviews I have read.
We arrived home on 9th Dec from a 2 week visit. Over the years we have stayed at this hotel on many occasions( this was our 3rd visit in the last 12months). We knew from our last few stays that the rooms were becoming tired but we accepted this as they were always kept clean by the hardworking, pleasant housekeeping staff.The bathrooms are particularly shabby though....cracked baths, stained washbasins etc) a lot of times it is the "luck of the draw" as to the room you are allocated.
The first impression as you enter the hotel is very pleasing and the majority of effort put into any superficial improvements are unfortunately directed to the public areas, not on the guests bedrooms. This hotel is definitely no longer worthy of it's 4star rating.
We have witnessed a noticeable reduction in staff numbers since this hotel was taken over by the "Be Live" hotel group. The management is weak and ineffective in many aspects. The "No Smoking" areas outside are openly flaunted by selfish guests and the pleasant seating areas were constantly abused by people leaving damp clothing and towels over the furniture in order to "reserve" their favourite spot, when they wished to go off and do other things. What chance do guests who are considerate to others have? The manager of the hotel, Ms Diaz, seemed unwilling to enforce rules which were in place but ignored by certain clients even though these things were brought to her attention.
The same weak management was evident in the restaurant as there was never anyone in charge of ensuring the smooth running of the dining experience. The waiters worked hard and, in the main, were pleasant.The food was bland and uninteresting but most importantly the hot food was often lukewarm and the replacement of empty serving trays on the buffet was slow, resulting in guests having to wait for fresh food to be brought out from the kitchen(often this was lukewarm giving the impression it had been standing around rather than kept hot).
This brings me to the most serious part of my review........We went "all inclusive" and ate no other food elsewhere throughout the holiday. We did not go on any excursions or to local restaurants therefore when I developed an "upset stomach" 2 days before the end of the holiday I knew it could only have been the result of something I had eaten at the hotel.
Suffice it to say that I was very glad to be returning home and was optimistic that things would settle down once back home. Unfortunately my condition worsened and following tests arranged by my G.P I was diagnosed with SALMONELLA!!!
Needless to say I am extremely upset by this and we shall never ever return to this hotel again. I urge anyone thinking of booking to think again if they don't want to return from holiday with more than a tan!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Polish first
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We chose to spend another wedding anniversary at the Grand Teguise Playa and were not disappointed. Our pre-arrival request for an upper 5th/6th floor room had been met and entering the room found a complimentary bottle of Cava. The hotel has been given a little face lift since our visit 12 months ago and appears brighter and fresh because of this. Similarly the promonade has been repaved and is is a very pleasant walk. The hotel public seating areas are all no smoking, although some people seem unable to recognize this, which helps a great deal. Meals are buffet which may not be to everyone's choice but the food is well prepared and kept at a good temperature during service. It can be a little predictable, but there is always 4 to 5 choices of main. The hotels best assests, the views and the staff.
We enjoyed another great break in this lovely resort and delightful hotel.
Be back next year for our 17th Anniversary.

Room Tip: Always go for 5th or 6th floor rooms. A little extra but worth it.
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

action . all with in walking distance . so lets start .
room neat tidy clean beds comfortable but its was a bit shabby but hey hoe you cant have every thing just needs a bit of tlc . its a bath shower and it can be hard to get in and out and it has those power water saving shower heads on the shower . plenty of hangers and a safe 20 euros for 12 days average . air con if you want it all have a sea view all in all not bad at all .
food , needs an up date whilst the quality was not bad it was very bland and also very repetitive waitresses in the restaurant are very good in deed .
bars are run well and the booze is good , entertainment hit and miss for me the pro acts not bad some very good the animation team try their best but to be fair they were poor .
the beach is on your doorstep and is a delight especially when the fishes swim around the legs
all in all i really enjoyed my self and would go again i will still go all inclusive as its great value for money but i would eat out more

Room Tip: rooms away from the atrium are quite , ask for fresh orange juice or you get the machine muck , ask...
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We spent a week at this Hotel, arrived back 5/12/13 . My first impressions were, wow. front of Hotel looked superb. The reception area was also good. Reception staff were just doing their job, no smiles, just got you away to see to another.. We were given the key and had to find the way to our room. Room 109. The Bathroom was not good. Basin cracked, mould under soap dish, mould down the side of tiles, and for the whole seven days a strong smell of urine. The food however was first class. Waiters and waitresses again, just doing there job,no smiles.
The pancake, eggs chef was superb, always singing. Entertainment, almost non existant. darts, table tennis etc. Evening entertainment same, from 9.45 until 10.30. Some eveninings to embarassing to watch, apart from our last night 3 singers who were superb. The town had plenty of bars, shops etc and there was a market there for a couple of occassions in the square. Restaurants very expensive.
If anyone decides to book this hotel, do not get confused with the Be Live Lanzarote, the sister hotel, which is over a mile away. I made this mistake and apparently it happens every week. This hotel should not be a 4 star, because of the dated bedrooms. But all in all it was worth what we paid.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor for the best view. All bedrooms have a sea view.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We have been to this hotel several times now and while some of the furnishings need updating the location of this hotel is superb - straight out of the pool area is the delightful Jabillo Beach.. Many of the staff are the same as when we first visited and the welcome is always exceptional. Good food with always a great choice. Spacious pool areas and facilities are really good. Bar staff, restaurant staff and the housekeeping team are always so helpful. The 'Animation' team of Yara, David, Betty and Michela who organise the entertainment and fun events and look after the children's activities are delightful, friendly and all speak several languages - they all help to make the holiday so much more enjoyable. If you want a great place to relax then this is the place.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had my first solo holiday at this hotel, I particularly choose it for the location, views and the reviews on here. I choose the hotel wisely for all of the above, but the entertainment was poor and the resort a little too 'quiet' for my liking.
The hotel is spotlessly clean throughout and the housekeeping service is excellent - the cleaners/housekeepers and the rest of the staff work so hard. My room was made-up every day of my stay and fresh towels provided even though my existing ones were not particularly dirty.
The food was mostly great although the meat was a little tough on one or two occasions.
There was however plenty of choice and always sufficient for everyone even though the restaurant was very busy all of the time.
Breakfast consisted of cold meats such as 2/3 different types of ham, salami, cheeses, bacon, sausages, scrambled/friend/poached eggs, tomatoes, beans, different rolls/bread/toast, salads, fruit [some fresh, some tinned] many different types of cereal and tea/coffee and juices.
It always seemed very fresh and was very tasty, although the hot products were often just lukewarm.

Evening meal/dinner there was always lots of choice, one night there was the most delicious huge, jumbo king prawns and a massive tray of fresh smoked salmon - yummy. One night there was also some freshly cooked salmon but I didn't have any because I didn't see it until it was time for desert!!!
There was always a good selection of fresh salads/pasta salads or rice. The tuna pasta was particularly yummy. In addition there was often a paella, and different meat dishes such as satay pork, veal in a sauce or chicken and well as a hot pasta dish such as lasagne or pasta carbonara etc. The veal and the lamb one night was very tough and the lamb was very bland - but I am used to Welsh lamb which you can't beat and that is not the chef's fault lol!!!

The deserts were simply DIVINE - there were profiteroles one evening - they were delicious, although I had to ask for some cream to go with them [the waiteress did not appear to know what cream was until I figured out the Spanish word for it!!!!]
There were always some delicious cakes, caramelised banana's, fresh/tinned fruit, moose, trifles and 6 different flavours of ice cream available.

I travelled solo as mentioned above and never felt uncomfortable in the dining area.
As far as the bar/s at the hotel are concerned - I went half board and regretted not upgrading to the all inc option at just 8.50 euro's per night it's excellent value for money.
The prices of drinks at the hotel bar were very expensive so if you are going to be spending a lot of time there it is definately worth the cost of an upgrade.
As far as the exterior of the hotel was concerned - everything appeared to be well maintained and clean.
The pools however, despite one supposedly being heated were VERY cold. As a result, not many people were swimming. Those that were brave enough to venture in, were not in there long!!!
The view from my room were lovely, I would have liked to be on a higher floor and more central so that I had a better sea-view, but the view I did have was lovely. The room had air conditioning, although I did not make use of it. I did not feel the need, in December, it is not warm enough to need to use it. I was comfortable during my stay, never too hot, nor cold whilst in my room.
The only negatives I would state are; the temp of the pools, not enough electrical sockets in the room, the entertainment and the drink prices.
The entertainment at the hotel was not particularly good or to my liking so I spent a lot of time out at other bars at the resort. I have visited both CT and Puerto Del Carmen and I prefer PDC because the resort is better organised/laid-out than CT with everything being close/in the same street and it is busier, more lively than CT. This hotel is excellent for families/couples and there are quite a few older people who stay here and make repeat visits.
I would not therefore go to CT again for these reasons; if however, this hotel was located in PDC, I would most certainly consider it.

Room Tip: Try to obtain a higher room [I was on the first floor] in a centrally located spot as you get a bett...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

some of these reviews are for the other be live hotel which is away from the bars ,shops.this hotel is in a great position with great walks and shops ,supermarkets and restaurants literally over the road,the hotel food was good and plentiful i wouldn't call it 4* but nevertheless good value for money and spotlessly clean[rooms are a bit shabby but a comfortable bed]the pool is too cold to swim in unless the weather is very hot,a great 10 days half board

Room Tip: all have sea views we had a quiet room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Live Grand Teguise Playa? Share your experiences!