“My Greek home” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kardamena 85302, Greece   |
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Kardamena
“My Greek home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 4th year of staying at the classic and wouldn't go elsewhere. Aside from the hotel being spotlessly clean and nicely appointed (this time was in 121 so lovely pool view and large room), it is small and friendly and you feel you staying with family. Marianna on reception is great and always happy to help with anything and Mel at bar cheerful and friendly. Would highly recommend the hotel for the personal touch alone. I for one will be returning to this hotel and the beautiful island of Kos.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Arrived at the Cleopatra Classic around 10.30pm and Giorgos the night receptionist met us with a friendly smile and quick check in and provided a much needed drink at the bar!
The following morning we were greeted by Yet another very friendly and efficient member of staff Marianna who couldn't do enough to help!
I'm not generally a pool person but the pool at the hotel was lovely with plenty of sunbeds and the bar manager Mel made our days round the pool even better with his friendly manner and great service. The housekeeping staff were lovely and very efficient and the food which was available between 10 and 5.30 was excellent.
And Jenny who runs the bar in the evenings is fabulous
The hotel is only 2 minutes walk from the beach where the sunbeds are free of charge
Kardamena has lots of lovely restaurants.
The Alexander which we ate at twice fabulous food and staff and sea views
El Greco lovely food staff and right on the beach
The 1960s bar in the square overlooking the harbour was lovely for a morning latte whilst watching the world go by also nice for a drink in the evening
We were made welcome where ever we went and will definitely go back to kardamena and the
Cleopatra classic!

Room Tip: There are no ground floor rooms so I think which ever floor you choose would be fine
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We got to the Cleopatra Classic around 12:30am. We were met by a really lovely man, Giorgos (pronounced 'yourgos') on reception. He very quickly sorted out our check in and we were dropping our bags off in our room to quickly pop back for a quick night cap. Our room was a twin room on the third floor and had a lovely view over the pool. I think most single rooms will overlook the side street, although there were some on the lower floors overlooking the pool too. The beds were a little hard for us but that is hardly worth mentioning as other guests were more than happy. Every time we saw Giorgos he was full of smiles and ever so friendly. He taught me many Greek words which I really appreciated as I enjoyed trying out a few words whilst out and about. Marianne on reception was also great as were the rest of the staff. I didn't spend any time at the pool but I was reliably informed that Mel was fantastic too.

Air con is a €50 supplement for each week and the safe was €18 for our stay. Both are totally necessary as it does get stuffy and you have peace of mind with a safe.

Drinks are reasonable at around €2.50 for a large beer, €2 for a coke. Jenny served behind the bar in the evening and was great. As the days went on, we looked forward to our evenings back at the bar as there was good spirited banter that I loved. Jenny will really make you feel so welcome as she is so friendly....as are all of the staff.

There is a supermarket right outside the front entrance. If you walk past that one you will find another supermarket at the junction. If you want a big Carrefour supermarket then it's about a ten minute walk. Come out of the main entrance and go past the Mediterranean Restaurant go as far as you can, then take a right and a left at the top. It's a fair way down on the right. Opposite is the road that takes you down to the square.

First thing you will notice in the morning is that there is always beds at the pool. I think this is because the beach is so close that many guests go straight there. If it's the beach you are after then you just come out of the side entrance which is on the far side of the pool, go straight down to the beach where you will find many restaurants all serving similar food. They have their own sun beds which are completely free as they know you will buy drinks and food from them. Our personal favourite was Chris's cocktail bar. It was a lovely little family run place that had its own beach steps which go down to a sandy beach. Food and drinks were wonderful there. As was seeing their family & friends doing the Harlem Shake in the sea! You may not be as lucky as we were to see that!

There is a laundry just along from the hotel so you really should pack light and make use of that. It was €8 for a bag to be washed and dried and and extra €1 for anything you want ironed! There is also an ironing room in the hotel so you can take advantage of this too.

Evenings are easy. Head towards the beach and turn right at either of the last two streets and you will be heading to the main area of Kardamena. You will find lots of bars in the square which is a great place for people watching and deciding where to eat. Most restaurants are on the harbour road but there are many nice restaurants in the back streets. The Avli is a courtyard restaurant and somehow feels far removed from the noisy square it sits on. If you love lamb then the Samnas is a must! We also ate in the Yianni restaurant which is on the front. It looks expensive but it really isn't. Big portions and excellent service. Loved eating at the Alexander, which was by far our favourite restaurant and is the first restaurant on the Harbour. Staff were fantastic, man playing music and food excellent too. They have the most varied menu and even the Indian is excellent. The main man Spiros is fantastic and my son just loved going back to see him. He always made us smile! Annalise & Maria were also great to talk with. As with all restaurants here, the service is paced and you sometimes have to call for a waiter to get a second round of drinks.....but do this rather than just sit and wait! It's the way it is!!

We didn't do the trips with the tour operator but a few things we did do.....

We hired a beach buggy! We went for it and hired a big 800cc buggy. Although they do range from €45 to €85, we decided to go for the €85 buggy as it looked really new and had something about it. Well, that something was speed! It was so much fun that my 15yr old didn't stop grinning during the whole day! We went from end to end of the island......more than once. We covered every inch of the island and the only thing to suffer was a sore backside! Don't worry about getting lost! You soon find your way back to the main road running North to South!

The other thing was a fishing trip to bubble beach on the Maria Magdalini. This was €20 each and included the boat ride, fishing on the boat, swimming off the boat, lunch, time on bubble beach and trip back. Fantastic value is an understatement and the guys were great and deserve a tip, so if you go on it and like it.....show your appreciation. Sadly I think I was the only one who did! Booking from the boat although the tour places take booking too.

Prices......
Evening meals - We were having a starter, main and drinks for three of us and paying around €25 per head, although it did vary from £20 to €35 with a good few drinks.
Lunch - you don't need to spend more than €25 euros for lunch. Again that was for three of us and includes drinks.
Breakfast - Full English was around €5:50 and was great.
Drinks - cocktails in most bars were about €5 and a beer ranged from €1:50 to €3:50 depending on how touristy it was.

Finally..... Would I come back to the Classic / Kardamena (pronounced 'Car-dam-in-ah') ? Yes to both. The Classic is a great hotel and Kardamena has the nicest people you will ever meet. Genuinely nice people! Loved it and I'm sure I'll return.... Soon! Did I think I'd say this before I came.....Absolutely not! Even my 15yr old son loved it!

Some words to help you along...... I really enjoyed learning them!

Kala-meria (Kala-meer-ra) - good morning / greeting
Kalinihta (ka-li-nickta)- Good night
Efharisto - Thankyou
Yamas - Cheers
Parakalo - Please
To Logariasmo parakalo - Can I have the bill please
Thelo na pliroso parakalo - I'd like to pay please.

One last thing.....Occasionally you meet new friends whilst you are away on holiday that really make the time even more special. Nick and Karen Cannon; and their lovely daughters Hannah and Christine. The nicest family that you will ever meet. If you are fortunate to be on holiday with them, you are guaranteed to have an even better time!

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

having just returned again from this hotel.it was my second visit,but this time the room was far better.we heeded our advise from last year and avoided a ground floor room as so not to be eaten alive by mosquitos.hey presto no mosquitos bites this year.we were on the second floor.
the staff were basically the same apart from a new pool bartender who seemed miserable most of the time .everything i said last year remainds relevant.it is a good hotel good location,my only gripe is the breakfast,but if you like cereals and bread you will be fine.
a good budget hotel

Room Tip: go as high as possible.def notground floor
North East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

this hotel is ran by lovely people and in a great location for bars, shops and beach. Bedrooms large and bathroom fine, very small living area but you don't use it anyway so no problem. You have use of the fridge but have to pay if you want to use the cooker. We asked for a kettle to make a cuppa and were provided with one. Lots of clean towels etc. Nice pool area and breakfast fine but would have liked fresh fruit but that's just me could not really complain about the selection.
My main complaint is that it markets itself as a family hotel and it is not. The main client group is groups of young single sexed people making it very noisy during the night as they return from their nightclubs. For the same reason we did not stay round the pool but the beach is very handy and lovely with free sunbeds if you take a drink or snack in one of the restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor so you do not hear groups coming in as much during the night (we did but were pu...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

stayed at cleopatra classic 13 to 20th july 14, lovely hotel and staff(who became friends) never been to Kos before, arrived at midnight and our transport hadn't arrived at airport so we got a taxi (15 euros) to hotel. On arrival discovered my passport was missing! Marrianne receptionist made phone calls to taxi company and airport and my passport which I'd dropped in the taxi was returned to the hotel within 15 mins, thanks to Marrianne, brilliant service!!! within a day the staff remembered our names (and drinks!), very helpful nothing was a problem. I would recommend, paying the extra for airconditioning well worth it. Breakfast was basic (but probably more than you would have at home!!!) And I would have liked a kettle in the room (take travel kettle!) rooms spacious and clean, great location, ate in a different restraunt each night and never had a bad meal, I would recommend Kos and Cleopatra, thanks Jenny Mel and marrianne, oh I would recommend the Greek night in Zia well worth 30 euros, red or white wine all night and selection of food constantly delivered to your table, greek dancing, plate smashing, and beautiful view of sunset.

Room Tip: top (third floor) nice breeze.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

From the mintuebwe arrived at the hotel we were made to feel welcome. The receptionist was advising all the groups of girls/boys that there were family's staying and to keep the noise down when returning from nights out. The bar staff were great, food and drink well priced and great portions. Will be booking to go back again

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Cleopatra Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!