“Not 5*” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 44 hotels in Kardamena
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not 5*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Firstly we would like to say that The Carda Beach is exceptionally clean and the rooms excellent. We paid for a private pool room and it was amazing and met some very lovely people there. BUT
we arrived at 10pm on the 24th of June and was greeted by a very lovely receptionist she told us our room number and handed us a small map of the room location my husband then asked where is the pool only to be told that Thomas Cook had sent our details through as a basic room which of course was wrong. The receptionist said that at that time they could not do anything and that we would need to see the rep in the morning. We decided to put our bags in and go to the bar for a drink as we only had under an hour as they have reduced the A1 to 11pm from 12am first disappointment. My husband and I ordered a couple of drinks after quite a wait and then because of the time I went up and ordered another drink we had
half a drink left when my husband went up to order another one before we would go up to bed. To our horror one of the barman told him you cannot have another drink until you finish the other one and then to my amazement the other barman Angelo who we found to be very rude and aggressive started shouting to another guest about us and how greedy we were I have never been so embarrassed. This was not the best start to our expensive holiday.

The next morning we spoke to Andy our rep who told us we were only booked into a basic room. We informed him to double check this as we had paid the extra for a private pool and his information was wrong. Andy said he would have to contact the shop in which I purchased the holiday and that he would put a note under our door once things had been cleared up later that day. We heard nothing so decided to unpack as I cannot live out of a suitcase. We went down for dinner that night and later on went to the bar (to be greeted with scowls from Angelo the barman) and our lovely receptionist was off but having a drink at the bar. Her English was excellent and she asked are you happy now you have your right room obviously did not know what she was talking about but apparently the error had been sorted and we should have been informed to move to the room we had paid for. I was not amused to say the least as we had unpacked just a couple of hours earlier. I was not going to spend my evening packing again to move so told her we would move in the morning.

We went to the reception the next morning after we packed to ask for our new room and for someone to assist us with the golf buggie to move us only to be informed that they did not know what time the room would be ready aaaagh. Fortunately it was ready and we were moved about 15 minutes later. The room was amazing and I sat down and said to my husband this is exactly what I wanted private pool and no children as we booked this adult style through TC. With that a lady and her 9 month old baby came out of the room next door. Not Adults Only. I had seen some children round the main pool the day before but just thought maybe they were visiting relatives/friends.

After the initial bad start I could then relax by the pool and start to enjoy my holiday despite the presence of the baby, who was only there for a few more days. Be aware that there is a very steep walkway to get to these shared pools so if you have any walking difficulties these are not the rooms for you.

We spent two weeks at the hotel and saw a few more children and spoke to quite a few couples who said the same they had booked adults only and a private pool and ended up with children and in the wrong room for a couple of nights so they need to sort this out.

FOOD - sorry again not 5* always luke warm and not a great choice for the British. Waiters were very helpful and attentive and no complaints with them at all. Wok and Roll was really nice and we had no problems booking this at all and I asked at 10.30am and got a booking straightaway.

POOL BAR - Liza was wonderful very very busy on her own most of the time but got served quickly and always with a smile.

MOON BAR - There is only one bar with two staff one of which is the most rude horrible man I have ever met. The time you have to wait for a drink is ridiculous. One night a friend who was getting a round for us timed his wait and he waited 29 minutes to be served !!!!

Kardamena is a lovely place with really nice Greek people and we had a great night with Yanis at the Brothers Bar cheers Yanis. The walk is 15 to 20 minutes and a bit hairy as the pavement has chunks missing out of it. They were building a beach opposite the hotel the day we left as it was just rocks due to the sea washing the beach away in the winter so for anyone going there now it would be better.

All in all the holiday served its purpose and we totally chilled out for the rest of the holiday and did have a really lovely time just a shame the beginning was a farce.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room with a shared private pool amazing but be warned there is a very steep path t...

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chalfont Saint Peter, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed here from 23rd - 30th May 2012 and had a lovely time. Before going I was skeptical about the hotel and service after reading many reviews where people complained about the food,rooms and staff but when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. It is 5* in Greek standards but not in our standards. On arrival we were greeted pleasantly by the receptionist who had a smile on her face and was very helpful. When we got to our room (which luckily was a low down room) it was extremely clean and spacious with nothing to complain about. We only had breakfast twice on our trip but both times there was plenty of variety and was always warm/hot (never cold). Lunch was your basic salads, meat and pasta and different desserts and just right when it was hot. We ate in the Italian restaurant on our last night (get down to receptionist the day before you want to eat there at about 9.15am as they take bookings from 9.30am!!!!) The a la carte was amazing! 4 courses of large size with plenty to choose from. Normal dinner was fine; again with nothing to complain about and was hot. Twice I did have to ask for a refill/spoon as the waiters did not seem attentive enough. The one thing I did find was that the staff did not take a liking to young people and did not serve you like they did to the older visitors which was a little bit annoying. There was never a fight for sunbeds and the pool area was clean. Several people did mention children at the hotel. I never saw the hotel advertised as an ADULTS ONLY so I was expecting some children there but none were actually staying at our hotel but instead at the sister hotel next door. They were never any trouble though!

There is a short 10 minute walk into Kardamena town which has some nice bars and lovely restaurants.

Overall our experience was lovely and I would definatley return but maybe later on in the season (1st June onwards). Do not listen to all bad reviews as I think some were just extremely picky and you get what you pay for. If you want 6 star luxury this isn't the hotel for you.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking then request a low room.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed at the Carda beach 19 - 26 May. I had read some of the reports that there were children at the hotel which is supposed to be an adult only hotel. This was true but there were not huge hordes of children running about, just one or two here and there who were not British and were very well behaved. Couldn't fault the hotel, modern, clean, great views from the room, food was very good for a week and waiters were very polite. The all inclusive drinks were a lot better in quality than a lot of other all inclusive places we have been to. You even got a pint mug for beer, but be prepared to wait at the bar in the evening, only two people serving and they were not exactly known for being Mr Happy.

There was never a problem in getting a sun lounger around the pool and there was a feeling of space. Liza works tirelessly at the pool bar but was always friendly and efficient, the hotel should definitely look to giving her some help !

If you are looking for a beach type holiday then this is not the hotel for you. The small beach across the road was not what I would call a beach! There are some other beach's like paradise beach, but you will have to get a cab there or hire some form of transport.

The walk into Kardemena town is a 15 minute walk away, it has an abundance of bars etc but is not really the quaint side of Kos, it is the party town. Kos town (22 miles away and a 35 euro taxi fare one way) is more your traditional Greek town.

All in all a very good week for the price we paid and we met some very nice people. The only downer was the Russians in the next room who for some reason want to stay up all night talking, however the hotel were prepared to move us which wasn't necessary as they left after our first two nights.

Would we go back, Yes.

Crook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Would echo the views of most of the recent reviews.

Good Points - Nice hotel, rooms excellent,modern and cleaned everyday. sunbeds always available. Pool area really good. Liza in pool bar worked really hard and always had a word. The Staff were very friendly. Drinks were ok. Weather very good.

Bad Points - couldn't get into either restaurant. Went to reception twice at 9.30am as advised, was then told by a different receptionist that I had to be there at 8.00am. I turned up the next morning and was then told that the restaurants were closed on a wednesday and I would again have to come the next day. I gave up after that.

Food was typical AI fare, however I felt that some of the meat was not always of the best standard. I always stay in 4* and I have had both worse and better food, this is meant to be 4* plus, not good enough.

We travelled with Thomas Cook, so we paid top dollar. Flights were good, transfers spot on. However, I believe for the amount we paid, we found overall it was not quite good enough.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a lower floor
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Just got back from 1 week at the Carda Beach Resort with my partner.

We paid extra for a room with a private pool (shared with 7 other rooms). The room was large (tip - opt for a 1st floor room as the rooms below had spider and woodlouse issues! ours was perfectly fine) clean with a living space, balcony overlooking the sea and private pool, large main bedroom and bathroom with dual sinks. Best of all was a large shower with excellent water pressure. The cleaner was great too, came everyday and restocked our fridge a few times (part of the all inclusive) no complaints there.

In general the hotel was what we expected, not the 5* finishes or service you would expect from the UK or the States, but for a European hotel it was good.

The main facilities were the communal pool which was very large and clean, lots of loungers available and a bar which offered all inclusive snacks and drinks (although the snacks were not always available!). The main building looks very nice inside. There is a small shop (which is a little over priced as a 10min walk into the town the same items are much cheaper).

The reception staff were pleasant on arrival, but unhelpful when we highlighted a few issues such as one day we were unable to use the private pool due to all the loungers being in use. There were two loungers for each room; we noticed people were using the private area from other cheaper rooms. The reception staff didn't care and told me they don't know who should be there!!! I complained as we paid significantly more for this benefit - they never sorted out the issue but let us off a 25euro bill for extending our stay for 6 hours on our last day.

The all inclusive drinks are very limited and all cocktails even those using "all inclusive" liquid were chargeable. I thought this was very unfair and disappointing.

We received a complementary 30mins spa experience as part of our package, I presume the spa wasn't getting used much as it was pretty empty. It was an experience, couldn't get away fast enough. It was rather grubby in the steam rooms. Horrible to be honest yet they were charging UK spa prices. Certainly would not recommend this facility.

The restaurant service was excellent always a large number of staff at hand to bring drinks to your table and clear up empty plates. The food was good although we only stayed one week and it started getting repetitive on day 4! We did eat in the "Wok n Roll" which was very good, large portions of tasty food. Although for some reason the time of service was quite poor in comparison to the main restaurant. We wanted to eat in the Italian but as other reviews confirm these addition eateries got booked up rather fast and you could only book the day before from 8am. My partner and I walked past the Italian a few times and it was only ever at half capacity, which was quite irritating. Recommend that you book these towards the start of your stay.

The beach is just across the road. There are free sun loungers and umbrellas. It is partly sandy (brought in!) but very rocky especially trying to get into the sea, so we stayed by the pools mostly. Kardamena town is only a short 10/15min walk away for more nightlife, shops and bars.

All in all a pleasant stay although you do get the impression once they have your money they don't really care about any complaints.

Room Tip: Top tips Opt for 1st floor private pool room, book Italian and Chinese restaurants ahead of time and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
southampton uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were about the best part of this hotel very spacious clean and fairly modern design .food was ok for the money we paid .we did eat in the Chinese wich again was ok but nothing special didn't try the Italian.beach was rock so nothing special ,hired a dune buggy to get around the island well worth it some great beaches to be found.only real gripe was the hotel reception staff very miserable and really not a lot of help with any matters we had.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed AI at the Carda Beach 26 May to 2 June, the weather was tremendous. We arrived at 00.45hrs and were greeted by a friendly guy who offered us a cold plate but we were ready to just get unpacked and have the free minibar beers. The rooms are great, contemporary, lovely bathroom, comfy bed, flat screen TV with clear channels, BBC World news. After a great sleep we opened the balcony doors and were greeted with a fantastic view of the sea and islands in the distance...wonderful.
The meal times are generous, the food absolutely fine...yes repetitive after a few days but there is always enough choice.
The staff during our stay could not be faulted, they were smiley happy people, quick to remove plates and offering to get your drinks so I am surprised at some of the reviews stating otherwise.
The pool area is stunning with a large L shaped pool and another large pool with loads of beds and you never felt crammed in.
The main bar is serving beer spirits etc Included in your AI until 23:00hrs then they charge but it is reasonable with large beers 3 euro and cocktails 4 euro.
What hits you about this hotel complex is the sheer space everywhere, the hotel was full but you hardly pass anyone going to your room, the gym is spacious and there was never more than a couple of other users when I went. My wife enjoyed a massage in the wellness centre.
The town is a 15 min walk, the beach not the best but the sea is crystal clear and a pleasant swim.
We met some great people here and no one seemed to behave badly, there was a great diversity in nationalities.
If you want to chill out in good weather this is your place...don't hesitate to stay here.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carda Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!