My boyfriend and I enjoyed the first week of September at summer palace. The holiday was lovely, however we did have a few problems.
We arrived about 9.30pm to be greeted by reception staff who told us we had to get into the restaurant to catch dinner before it closed. We were really rushed and her instructions were not very clear which was not appreciated after a long journey. We were pointed through to the emptt restaurant where staff clearly weren't expecting us and were desperate to close up. There was very limited food left and due to the rush we weren't feeling very welcome eating there. Not a good start. The hotel needs to cater for people who are arriving later. Our first impression of staff, particularly reception staff was awful.
We were then advised that our room was not sea view as requested. The room was fine but the location was terrible, directly above reception with a view of the road. We asked to be moved and were told there was no possibility until Saturday as the hotel was full. We reluctantly accepted this only to have a night of no sleep at all due to banging around the corridors next to our room, people's voices and cars/trucks/motorbikes pulling up outside reception from approx 5am (deliveries etc). At 8am we went back to reception to complain (again). We were told to come back to meet with the reservations manager at 10.30am. The supposed manager was a sour faced woman with zero customer service skills. She simply could not be bothered and had a terrible attitude, responding to my complaint about the lack of sleep due to noise by telling me that other people don't complain. We eventually did move to a sea view room (they miraculously found one in the "full" hotel!) but at no point did we receive an apology for our inconvenience. When I told her this she just shrugged.
Anyway... Despite the bad start and poor customer service we had a lovely holiday. Resort is really nice. Food quite repetitive but fine. I would Recommend Italian restaurant. On the second to last night my boyfriend got a sickness bug which must have been from meat he ate off the grill in main restaurant (only thing that he ate that I didn't). The bug wiped him out for 24hours which was not good.
Bar set up was not accommodating for big groups and definitely not enough space for everyone to sit outside. Entertainment is none existent but we met lots of nice couples so we all made our own entertainment! Staff in restaurant and bars work hard and were always friendly.
As stated by lots of other people the Russian guests were incredibly rude and seemed totally miserable. This didn't bother us particularly, we commented that it must be awful to be that miserable all the time!!
Kos is a lovely island and mitsis complex is great with lovely beach/pools. The best selling point has to be the view which is outstanding.
Overall lovely holiday in a good hotel. Sort the reservations manager out and it would be a great hotel!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation: Standard rooms (52), Bungalows (104), Family Suites (96). Every 15 rooms a sharing pools is available. Room Facilities: Fully air-conditioned with individual control Heating, Bathroom with bathtubs / Hair dryer, Direct dial telephone, Mini fridge, Satellite TV with international channels / Music channel, Balcony or terrace with a fantastic view, Safe deposit box (with charge). Floor covering: Tiles. Meals in Main Restaurant. Breakfast: American buffet Lunch: Complete buffet Dinner: Complete buffet (all meals are with show cooking). Food and Beverage Facilities: Main Restaurant specializing in Greek and International cuisine with terrace and a fantastic view to the Aegean Sea. Italian à la carte restaurant «La Bella Vista»Greek à la carte restaurant (Tavern) at the beach. Main lounge Bar (In & outdoor), Interior Swimming pool, Bar, Beach Bar, Pool Bar, Room Service (07:30 – 21:30h). Sport & Leisure: 1 outdoor swimming pool with salt water, sun terrace, 1 Indoor pool with fresh water (for adults only), 6 sharing pools with fresh water for the family suites, 1 outdoor swimming pool fresh water with water slides, Sun beds and umbrellas at the pools and the beach, 2 tennis courts (hard) with floodlight, equipments. Water sport centre with water skiing, jet skiing, banana boat, parachuting, pedals, wind surfing (certificate), catamaran, row boots, pedals, canoes, rings, Scuba diving, lessons, Boat trips, Beach volley, Beach football, Table tennis, Bicycling, Horse riding & pony riding (on request), Bridge room, Billiard, Entertainment such as sketches, competition games, aerobics. Children’s play ground (4-12 years), Disco, Fitness, sauna and massage. Other Facilities: Reception with lobby, TV corner, Shopping arcade with mini market, souvenir shop and jewelry, Hair dresser, Laundry & dry-cleaning service, Concierge / Cashier / Porters, Guest Parking, Rent a car / motorbike / bike, Doctor’s visit, Lifts from the reception area to the beach. For Children: Integrated children pool with salt water, Children playground – Mini Club, Children disco, Baby cot, Baby chairs in restaurant, Kid’s water slide with kid’s pool. Business Accommodations and Services: Telephone and fax services, Internet and mail services, Photocopy service, Wi-Fi access at the main lobby area (free). Distance From: Kardamena Town 5 Km, Airport 14 Km, Port 32 Km, Beach on the beach, Public bus: Front of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Mitsis Summer Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Summer Palace Kardamena
- Summer Palace Hotel Kos
- Mitsis Summer Palace Kos/Kardamena