“Thank you Liz and Stephen for making my stay fab” 5 of 5 stars

The Anvil Bar
Main Street | Castlemaine, Boolteens, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Boolteens B&B and Inns
Clydebank, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Thank you Liz and Stephen for making my stay fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was travelling all over Ireland by car from my home in Clydebank Scotland and stayed at the Anvil Bar B&B for two nights on the 30th and 31sy of May 2013.Liz and Stephen run a great place and their charm and company helped make my stay there more enjoyable. The food was great (bacon and cabbage mmmmm) and the locals were so friendly and chatted away to me which made me feel as if I was back home in my own local bar. Thanks again Liz and Stephen you have a great place

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was staying in the area last week and called in for Sunday lunch. I found the staff friendly and helpful and the place clean and tidy.

My family and I had starters and main courses and found the food well presented, tasty and good sized /appropriate proportions. In fact, although we had intended to have a dessert, we simply didn't have room.

There were other people eating, but there was very little waiting for the food, just the normal time you would expect for the food to be cooked.

I also felt that the meals were good value for money.

Thank you Liz, when we're back in Ireland we shall try to call in again.

Room Tip: Sorry I didn't use the rooms, so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We recently popped in for lunch on our way back from a day out on the Dingle peninsular.
We have stayed here before several times and this time we had been staying with friends, but we wanted to see Liz & Stephen again. Once again we found ourselves not disappointed; food great, company great and that certain something which just makes you want to come back - again and again.

• Stayed June 2013
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Found this place by accident. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, very clean and the shower was great and I do love my showers. The beds were very comfy and being on a major road, I didn't hear a thing. As we arrived late, it wasn't a problem for them to cook up some thing for us. We had a yummy fish and chips and few cold beers before heading to bed. The breakfast was just as yummy as the fish. We will definitely be back when the sun shines in Ireland again!

Carcassonne, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Me and my boyfriend decided to come here to have dinner when on holidays last week. The bar made who was in her 50's or thereabouts was darn right rude offered no help and food took so long to come our way ! Not only that but the place was filthy and in need of a very good clean along with the glasses there . The bathroom consisted of broken tiles and flowers were in food jars not the most appealing !!!. Food was expensive and not as great as expected. Service was unfriendly and VERY unhelpful. Drink also there is quite expensive we paid 5.60 for a wkd and the bar next door to it was only 5. I would advise anyone who wants clean friendly service to KEEP AWAY from this place .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seamus099, Public Relations Manager at The Anvil Bar, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
This review is a total fabrication! We had no French visitors in our establishment on or around the date stated. We have no broken tiles and put our flowers in vases. The "reviewer" rated the rooms with 1 bullet in spite of the fact that they did not mention our rooms in the "review". Nor did we have any French visitors staying in our B&B accommodation around that time. Review of our CCTV could not identify any issues with any patrons that would indicate that we were having any issues with anyone at that time. We don't know what would motivate someone to speak about our establishment in such terms, but hope that readers will appreciate that this review reflects the opposite of the vast majority of visitors that we have had over the years. We have many repeat visitors and look forward to meeting more in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed for 1 night over the bank holiday weekend.
We arrived in the late afternoon and despite Liz and Stephen being very busy preparing for a function, we received a very warm welcome and were shown to our beautiful rooms promptly.
The rooms are very spacious, comfortable and well appointed. Comfortable beds and GREAT showers.There's free WiFi too.
We had dinner in the pub that night as the restaurant was occupied with a large function, but Liz made sure we were well looked after and the food was very tasty. We enjoyed the atmosphere in the busy pub and despite live music playing til closing, it wasn't audible in the bedrooms at all and we had a very sound sleep in the comfortable beds.
The next morning, Liz, up on her feet again, prepared a delicious breakfast before sending us off on a beautiful day in County Kerry.
Great little family business, very well run by Liz and Stephen! Good value too. I'll be back next time I'm down in Kerry for sure!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Many thanks to Liz and Stephen for all they did for us. My wife and I spent a week at The Anvil Bar in May 2013 and had a great time. The pub/hotel makes an ideal base for exploring the wonderful Dingle Peninsula, the Ring of Kerry and Killarney National Park. Liz made excellent suggestions for trips and in fact was just so friendly and hospitable in all respects.

There was no need to go out to a pub or restaurant in the evening because the fare and the friendliness at The Anvil are just great. I never tasted Guinness so good and the food was of very high quality with generous portions. The prices compared very favourably with the other restaurants we tried for lunches. Brilliant breakfast too and they are very flexible with content (and timing!).

The room was clean, modern and tastefully decorated and had TV and hot drink facilities. I also liked that there were ample spare sockets for charging phones etc. The bed was very comfortable and firm, which we like, and sleeping was never a problem. Very quiet. The bathroom was large and well-appointed with a good shower which had a stable and controllable temperature.

The locals were all just so friendly and if you can only visit or stay one night make it a Sunday night for the music and the craic.

We recommend The Anvil Bar without any reservation.

Room Tip: All 6 rooms are very similar and any would be good. We saw them all!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Anvil Bar? Share your experiences!