“Very nice italian dinner... but a little expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Zagreb, Croatia
“Very nice italian dinner... but a little expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

So we came here recommended by our hotel manager. The first impact was great. You receive a loaf of warm home made bread stabbed with a knife, a whole local salami and a plate of soft cream cheese. This is included in the price... The downside is that this is so good that you fill up on it and we had a hard time finishing the following courses. We oredered a starter of meatballs and potato puree and as a main course a very stunningly served risotto with radicchio and taleggio cheese, served in a carved out large round cheese.

Another thing I really liked was the fact that this is a family owned place and it is evident that they put a lot of effort into being pleasant and friendly. Actually, they made us a favour to let us in because they were fully booked for the night but they managed to squeeze us in. The owner is a very nice lady who is elegantly dressed but actually does some of the cooking and finishing of the dishes. This makes the atmosphere very friendly and comfortable.

There is no menu so be ready to ask questions but as it turns out their advice was very good. The price was 35 € per person (including the house wine). Since we ate risotto and meatballs we thought 140 € was a bit much for 3 adults and a child. You will not receive a specified receipt, just one line with the total - so you do the math. The wine, even though served in bottles (open) is actually not the one on the label. They just use empty bottles instead of pitchers.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“How to boil a frog.. with a smile”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We went to Bacaro at lunchtime for celebrating a friend's birthday. The staff has been nice and helpful but "bossy" that is we got some wine, starters and cakes we didn't ask for and they didn't take our complaints in any consideration. In addition the menu wasn't just available and prices weren't disclosed until the very end. They charged 30 euros for quite a modest meal, even without a main dish. Finally we had the impression that prices were quite random and depended on the type of customer or staff moon. Just choose another.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Where Quality meets Quantity !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We went to Bacaro last week with Marina e Massimo. We had been there maybe 6 years ago and the food was heavenly. As a starter we were brought an entire salami which we cut accordingly, served with warm bread . As a main, we had courses: 2 tagliolini with funghi porcini in bianco plus Pappardelle with Hare. I also ordered Pappardelle with Duck in tomato sauce because I can be very greedy when it comes to food. As a second course we had a kind of roasted pork and that was celestial. We finished with some kind of rich tiramisu followed by some espressos. I have no idea of the cost as the bill was footed by our friends but I guess it was very good value for whatever money. Not to mention the kindness/service/professionalism of the staff which included a kiss from the owner for greeting regular customers, we were there 7 years ago ! We also got a bottle of wine for each couple, wow! Hold on, not everyone received one. Later Marina said that she had known the owner for a long time, since their kids were small.
I will be very happy to pop in anytime when in the Venice area.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
here
“average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I chose this little restaurant for lunch on my way back from Venice airport, based on the reviews I read on this website. In fact, as I read in many reviews, the staff is cordial and competent, the food is good although my "tagliata di pollo con verdure" was a bit disappointing... perhaps it was a bad choice on my part but, this plain grilled chicken breast with julienne veggiest looked more like something one would eat in hospital or during a strict slimming diet, not really like Veneto excellent traditional food. Other people at our table also had mixed views about their orders. We all concurred that the menu and the price list should be written somewhere clearly visible. It does not take much time to write on a blackboard the menu of the day and the price for each dish, this way perhaps I would know what the 25Euro I paid for my meal were for (the bill does not specify). Further, although upon my request as I entered the restaurant I was told I could pay with my credit card, when the bill came they told me "the machine was not working"... Bring cash!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas
“we needed to be rolled out we were so full”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Like eating at a Veneto grandmother's house if that grandmother thought you had just come back from a war and hadn't eaten in four years. My favorites: hot bread, creamy cheese, polenta with mushrooms, cookies with pudding, eggplant al funghetto, risotto with mushrooms. You don't really order there. Rather they greet you warmly and just keep bringing entrees and wine. After seven meatballs our toddler asked for a pillow so he could rest under the table. The rest of us were hoping there would be some kind of wheel barrel service to roll us back to our car or the nearby river so we could drift back to Venice.

Visited September 2011