“could do better” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranleigh
London, United Kingdom
“could do better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is really missing a trick as there's a shortage of accommodation in the lovely Cranleigh area and the building itself is attractive and has potential. But staying there is like returning to some rather grotty bygone age. The decor is tired and dated, the towels are thin and fraying, the whole experience lacks charm. When we came down for breakfast, a harrassed-looking person, rather scruffily dressed, emerged from the kitchen area and said 'Yes?' rather crossly, as if we were trespassing. No greeting, no effort to be pleasant or welcoming. There's no proper entrance - just through the vast, soulless bar, and the way to the rooms is more or less through the kitchen and up the back stairs. Very loud noise from the massive kitchen air extractor from early in the morning. I thought it was a lorry outside. If the Cranley Hotel wants anyone to go there more than once or recommend it to others , it needs a serious refurb and rethink. The average b&b provides a cheaper, more pleasant and more comfortable experience these days. A bit of an insult to guests and a terrible waste of potential. Someone should take it over and make a success of it.

Room Tip: Not near the air extractor, which unfortunately is on the garden side of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have used this Hotel on 2 or 3 occasions for impromptu meetings with members of my team. On Wednesday I met a colleague and order a Steak and Onion Sandwich with chips. Not really concentrating on my food I too a big bite out of the sandwich....which was met by a ghastly smell of what can only be described as "rotten meat". The sandwich was replaced without any bother for a sausage sandwich. On reflection the dismissive response of the barmaid...who reassured me I wouldn't get food poisoning should have brought about the end of my visit. As it was I finished the meeting and have had my fingers crossed ever since. The extent to which nobody seemed to care about the quality of the food served is shocking. If the "chef (joke) had put his nose anywhere near the food he would have know it was rank! I'm giving this place a swerve from now on !

Room Tip: Don't eat here you could get food poisening
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The building looks pretty... That's about it I'm afraid. I don't think there is enough space to write all the negative points. Expensive and poor quality, MOST not all of the staff are very rude, even the boss. Stay elsewhere if you have the opportunity

• Stayed September 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed here at the beginning of April for a night and was pleasantly surprised. Very friendly staff, felt very welcome and the best surprise was the food which was excellent value for the quality! It's a pub with rooms but great value with great food.

• Stayed April 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

After reading the other review I was dubious about our stay, however- I've just spent the last few nights staying here while down on business. The room was very clean and if an amp ample size. I was shown to my room by a pleasant girl who told me that starting tomorrow(Thursday) they were having a Thai restaurant. It set a pleasant walk away from the quaint little village which has good amenities. The bar downstairs was friendly and the staff and "locals" made us feel very welcome. I would definatley come back here again and would even bring my partner for a short break. Thankyou Cranley hotel for an enjoyable stay!!

• Stayed March 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

On entering the pub i was pleased to realise that they were no longer having a disco on a friday night. I was greeted by two well presented, friendly bar staff who were only too happy to point me in the direction of the thai restaurant. The food was really good and great value for money. I will definitely return and was happy to discover they also do takeaway.

• Stayed March 2012
Munster, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I booked this hotel purely due to it's close location to Dunsfold Aerodrome, I thought when booking £75.00 for B&B was reasonable. We arrived afternoon on valentines day entered through the bar door as there was no obvious other entrance. We spoke to the bar maid who also confirmed our booking, she gave us our keys and showed us our room. At first sight we thought it seemed ok but first impressions can be deceiving.
We headed back down to the bar and tried to ask a couple of questions but felt like we were stopping the bar maid doing something else, she did explain dinner times and a valentines special and then quickly disappeared we thought again to do some work but as it turned out it was to go outside to have a cigarette!!!! in her absence some of her customers told us of many other better places to eat that evening. There loss I would say as we did eat elsewhere.
We returned late had one drink and then went off to bed we may have sat in the bar slightly longer had we felt welcome, hospitality was not free flowing shall we say.
Before going to bed we asked about breakfast in that did we need to reserve a time or seat and were advised no so we went to bed.
Second sight of the room well it's only up was it's quaint country design if that was intended either that or it's been like that since the hotel opened and never modernised.
A wardrobe that looked like it should have been thrown out years ago, it was in poor condition.
Carpet that flowed from the bed room to the en-suite I'll fitting in the en-suite and dirty in the corners with paint form poorly painted skirting boards. 1980's bath mat and pedestal rug which combined with carpet in this day and age are vile are disgusting!!!! The water system and toilet flush was so noisy and annoying. Through the night when someone used the toilet or sink the noise was disturbing. The Walls are paper this there was a very unhappy man in the hotel as he was cursing and swearing on the phone for about an hour while we were trying to sleep I was only happy my children weren't with me.
The sheets on the bed had the smell of an old dusty book and had looked like they were bought 40years ago. The mattress was lumpy the pillows were past there best and I don't consider myself exceptionally tall at 172cms but my feet were hanging off the end of the bed.
Breakfast was a whole other experience. we tried to sit at a table by the window but were promptly told off by the morning staff and showed to our seat which was where we had to sit like it or not. The table was in direct sunlight and we had to move our place settings, there was a leather bracelet lying on the table no idea whose but I wasn't happy to share my table with someone else's Jewelery and dead skin cells. I did try to tell the staff but she had little interest in speaking to us. The conversation consisted off did we want to cooked breakfast and tea. I did want a breakfast but when I tried to express my wishes as to what I didn't like to eat I was abruptly told " tell me what you do want" surely either way it was my breakfast wish and I was the customer and guest so I ended up eating 2 slices of bacon a sausage and some beans. Our Toast was burnt and cold we got a half glass of orange each I did look for the waitress to ask for more but couldn't find her. She did return to have a discussion with some people about there bill for our breakfast entertainment and tell another guest off who stayed alone for trying to sit at the reserved table. I should have liked to meet theses people as they are obviously very special they get a reserved table and customer service when not even in the room!!!
Checking out time and we came to the bar with our stuff and looked around again no one there, the door opens and in comes the waitress from having a cigarette and takes our payment.
Overall the place was poor, not welcoming and no one introduces themselves so you could be speaking when you find them to he owner the cleaner or anyone really and the popping in and out from serving drinks and possibly even doing breakfasts to have cigarettes is unprofessional, un hygienic and rude.
Wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cranley Hotel? Share your experiences!