“Overpriced and overcooked.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Cranleigh B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and overcooked.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have lunched here several times over the past few years and the food has always been good, albeit a little pricey, but I agree that you get what you pay for. The location is lovely and as we holiday not far away, it is perfect on our arrival day to grab lunch. We have also recommended it to family and visitors.

That was until last week, how disappointed was I?

The two of us went for lunch and were shown to our table, the specials board put in front of us and our drinks order taken, all good so far. Drinks arrived and our food order was taken, still good.

Then the food arrived, OMG!! I paid £13.50 for haddock and chips (steep I thought) and you should have seen the state of the food I was given. Now I don't cook, my husband is the chef in our house, but trust me, I am capable of a decent plate of chips and this was NOTHING like a decent plate of chips. They were so far overcooked they crumbled into dust when you put any cutlery anywhere near. So I did what I hardly ever do and I complained..... the waiter asked if I would like a side portion of replacement chips, yes please, that would be perfect.

The waiter then returned, empty handed and explained that as the chips were all hand cooked, then they were all the same and any replacement chips would be the same as the ones I had. So I did not have any replacement chips and ate my fish with the peas and left all the disgusting chips on my plate.

My husband had the burger, which he said was as good as ever and he had chips also. I can only assume that his chips were higher up the fryer than mine as his were not brilliant and some were overcooked but not all of them. He managed to eat most of them and I hasten to add offered to share them with me.

We got our bill, which was full price, no deduction at all for the shameful chips, I pondered as to whether to pay the full amount but given the lack of concern on my previous complaint thought that I could not be bothered so decided to pay the bill, in full in cash. £36.95.

Now my biggest gripe has to be another waiter (who was aware of my complaint and who cleared our plates) who came back to collect my payment, bearing in mind I had not been happy with my meal, he then asked if I would like change from my £40 cash? Damn right I did and if you feel hard done by that you did not get a tip, then speak to the chef, explain about customer service, attention to detail and get the temperature right on your fryer for each and every frying. If they were (as I presume 2 or 3 times cooked chips) it is clear that they had been overcooked already.

We have since found alternative lunch locations and will not be giving The Richard Onslow another try.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Been here a few times over the last couple of years and the food has been consistently good. It certainly isn't the cheapest place I have reviewed but the adage that get what you pay for is true here. Service was prompt without being oppressive. My only critisism is that when full the noise seems to be amplified inside and you can't hear yourself think! Our last outing here was on a Tuesday and so this was not an issue. As my brother would say, "I would be happy to drive there"!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is our local pub and we have been there a great deal.

Service is extremely patchy. In fact we walked out recently for this reason.

A slightly grubby appearance, with smokers and the odd brown paper bag drinker hanging about the tables outside the restaurant on the street, is off-putting.

Sunday lunches can be good as long as the staff are in attentive mood. If they are not you can end up frustrated at trying to get their attention.

John, who owns and runs it is complacent and unaware that his palce as not as good as he thinks it is.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Well equipped room and lovely decoration of the accomodation.Everything clean and comfortable and 2 excellent nights of sleep in a large comfortable bed.Although only a small thing the biscuits with you tea making facilities is still a nice touch forgotten by so many places now.My only suggestion to the owner would be to get a larger TV for room 5 as from the bed at the back of the room the tv which is above the fire place is too small but i would still recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: No problems with Room 5.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here for one night when attending a wedding. Really appreciated getting early check-in so we could get ready. The room (2) was designed to a great standard, really loved the tartan carpet in the hallway and curtains in the room. Didn't hear a thing from the bar downstairs or the people sitting outside. Had to wait over 30 mins for a cooked breakfast seemed a bit strange when it wasn't very busy so not sure how long you would wait for a regular bar/restaurant meal. Lovely window boxes which sadly got caught in the window when we closed it-sorry.

Room Tip: If you have hay fever, the rooms at the rear don't have the lovely window boxes.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a great character B&B for a romantic weekend. It is also a busy village pub, so you are in the thick of Cranleigh nightlife :-) I loved our room, I think it was number 1, it was in an old annexe with lots of character, a massive bathroom, with a beam across the door that was at about chest height which made me laugh. It was noisy from the pub downstairs, but then, that didn't matter because we were down there the whole evening as well! The window is really small, some people may find this claustrophobic, and the heating in the bathroom was not exactly tropical. The restaurant is very nice, and breakfast very good. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Wifi was crap, but hey, you are not there to work. Cranleigh is nice, but average age of inhabitants must be around 70. We had lovely walks in the surrounding countryside, the landscape is stunning.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
James D, Manager at The Richard Onslow, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Redcar2606

Thanks very much for your kind review. We are all really pleased that you had a great stay. We also have rooms in our annex which are very quiet in the evenings for your next stay. Looking forwar dto seeing you soon.
Middlesbrough, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The very cordial and efficient welcome we received set the tone for our stay. All the staff were friendly. Even the poor woman who had to cope on her own, for a while, in the very busy restaurant serving Sunday breakfasts managed to remain calm and helpful.
Although this is a pub it is surprisingly quiet upstairs where the 10 bedrooms are (at least it was during the three nights of my stay). The rooms are furnished to a very high spec in contemporary colours and patterns. Our room (5) had a sofa and very cosy armchair.
Shower room was a good size (if I have a small niggle it would be the size of the shower cubicle. It could have been almost twice the size given the amount of space available)
Breakfasts were excellent with a wide choice of, mostly, locally sourced produce.
The hotel that we normally use, when we visit family in this region, was full. Therefore I had to find somewhere else to stay. I am so pleased that this happened as I would not have discovered this delightful place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
James D, Manager at The Richard Onslow, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear guest

Thanks so much for your kind feedback and we are also very pleased that you found us. We're delighted you enjoyed the room and the restaurant and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to The Richard Onslow? Share your experiences!