“Nice Rooms but Service should be improved” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Malapascua Legend

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Malapascua Island
Malapascua Legend
Bounty Beach, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Malapascua Island
Manila
“Nice Rooms but Service should be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Malapascua Legends is the only place in the island that has a pool. This was the reason why we chose to stay here.

The rooms were big enough. They have all the basics you would expect from a hotel. Hot and cold showers, modern interiors, lcd TV. For me, Malapascua Legends looked like the best amongst all the other accommodation options in the island.

Their service however still has room for improvement. I couldn't help but feel discriminated since I'm a Filipino as the staff would always prioritize the foreign tourists.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor as walking up the stairs are sometimes tiring
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I wanted to book Malapascua Legend for 8 days but they only had 5 days available so we went first to Ocean Vida for the first 3 days- You can check my Ocean Vida review- The 1st moment we stepped at the Malapascua was very good- we were greeting by the manager and the room was ready at 9h30- we were there at 8h30 and we were able to use the pool- this pool was gorgeous, very large and so warm- the best thing in this hotel- We were shown our room and it was a nice big room with 2 big beds, 4 adults can definitively sleep in this room- bathroom was amazing, shower rain and fridge- It seems to be perfect right but then because this is owned by a very rich man in Cebu and run by his family then something was missing- Hospitality- At the reception, there were most of the time, noone. When there were someone there were no greeting or smile- it seems you bother them- we had no bath towels when we arrive and we were told it is still drying so we had it the next day- the worst part was the breakfast. No buffet and you always eat the same thing, eggs and 2 tiny slice of bacon- bread was homemade but it has this taste of yeast, it was not pleasant- sometimes you have hot water and sometimes the coffee looked like tea. We tried the A La Carte breakfast, the pancake was plain flour with water, also tried the corn flakes and it was terrible- we had some people who was here for 2 weeks and they did their own breakfast since it was so bad- we talked to the manager about having fresh fruits but he said it was too expensive!!!!!!!!! a banana costs 2 pesos!!!! The positive point will be their front beach, so nice, no boats after 10am and you have the whole front beach for yrself. there are some sundecks but no parasols- Use the trees as a shade- I had a manicure and a massage with Elina who is waiting for clients in front of the resort- Very nice lady and she did a great job with my manicure- She even invited us at her husband Birthday party- we had such a great time and great dinner- we met amazing local people- If you wander inside the village you could see how life is. You think how lucky you are- The local people are very poor, they live in tiny rooms, sometimes 5 people in one room- there is no furniture, no wallpaper, the wall is ciment...they seem to gather around a tiny TV- What would strike you is how many children are on the streets and with clothes that have been worn for years and years- I will never forget my experience in Malapascua and it is not the color of the water and the sand but its people-

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cebu Island, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked Malapascua Legend because it was the only hotel available for the peak season of the Holy Week. It probably has the highest rate among the hotels/resorts in the island, so it is expected that I will be getting good service. I have, however, read here on TA not so good feedback about the hotel so when I made my booking I made it specifically clear that I will be expecting no less especially that they are charging the highest room rates in the island.

We got a room in the “newly constructed” building (accdng to the Manager). I have no issues with the room, it’s big --- 1 king sized bed and 1 single bed. Furniture is new so no complaints on that. We didn’t have a refrigerator and SDB and when I pointed this out, they said that they can’t do anything about it and was even surprised that it didn’t have those in the room. They immediately offered that maybe it was because it was a new room.

The hotel also has a large swimming pool, if I’m not mistaken it’s the only hotel in the island with a pool. So if you require such, then Legend is the place to stay.

I think Malapascua Legend is trying to position itself as a high-end resort in the island however, it is still a long way to go. While the room is good, the bathroom is a bit poorly designed, in the shower there is a sort of elevated platform where water flows to a lower canal before it drains out to the floor drain…nice concept except that floor elevation was faulty so water doesn’t drain out and we are left with bad smell of stale water the next time we use the bathroom. The bed and pillows are soft, but the towels need some softener, it is so stiff and hard on the skin.

Where Malapascua Legend badly needs improvement on is its quality of service given the hotel’s rates. Hotel staff BADLY NEEDS training on service, communication skills and even on serving skills in the restaurant. They don’t even have uniforms and it’s hard to distinguish who is a staff or not. I did not at all feel like I was a welcomed guest in the hotel. Each time I bring something to their attention (i.e. no ref, tv not working), they would simply offer that they can’t do anything about it!!! I also feel bad that I can see the stark contrast of welcome that they accord to foreigners over a Filipino like me. While I know that this is very common Filipino hospitality and eagerness to please, for such a hotel, they should know how to treat each guest equally. An example is when I approached reception for check-out, there was no “good morning” greeting or even a smile, it seemed like I was a bother and distraction to their work (which was just hanging out by the bar and chatting with other waiters/waitress), but when a German couple was approaching the desk, the manager even from a few meters away was loudly greeting them hello! Well, talk about discrimination --- i felt more welcome in the Exotic Resort a few meters away where I am not a guest and we merely went there for lunch.

Food is bad! Room rates come with breakfast but it is not buffet style. In the 3 breakfast times that we were there, either the coffee machine has broken down or it managed to brew very watery coffee. I ordered sunny-side up eggs but it was cooked in a not-so clean griddle coz the undersides of my eggs were black from the used oil!!! Eeewww! When I pointed this out to the person cooking (I won’t dare call him a chef as it would be an insult to that profession), he simply said (again!) he can’t do anything about it coz they can’t clean the griddle as it was already very hot! ?!??!?!?!

Food presentation (and I mean the coffee, juice and few plates for the bread) was also very mediocre ---- again, for a hotel that tries to position itself as high-end! This hotel badly needs an F&B manager so at least it can move up a notch higher in terms of service and food quality.

The hotel can also improve on the tables/beach chairs that they have set outside. Why not take cue from what Ocean Vida and Exotic have done on the area next to the beach. It will definitely add more to the ambience and will make one feel that he has indeed booked himself in a “high-end” hotel.

Another item that I want to bring up is the “cultural show” that they put up on Good Friday. There was nothing cultural about it, except for a few Filipino dance, they had this cheap gay show which had some sexual jokes which I find very inappropriate not only coz it was a Good Friday but because the hotel had children guests. If I were a foreigner, I’d simply be confused on what Filipino culture is?!?

In short, Legend is a resort trying to be a big hotel, but it desperately needs improvement on service. So until that is resolved, for me, in Malapascua Legend, good service is simply just that --- a legend!

Room Tip: get a presidential suite so your room faces the beach, the rest of the rooms face out to the pool al...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed at Malapascua Legend for the 2nd week of our honeymoon - walking onto the island we felt this was the perfect spot for a honeymoon. Gorgeous palm fringed white sand beach, dotted with hotels.

The rooms are big, clean and comfortable - 2 double beds in each room. A big bathroom with huge shower, decorated with shells, and with a blue glass roof, which made it feel like you were stepping into an underwater scene!

The pool at Malapascua Legend is great - huge and refreshing. The swim up bar wasn't operating when we were there, but that didn't bother us. The beach out the front is gorgeous, but the water isn't great for swimming (quite shallow with lots of reeds). Also be prepared for kids trying to sell bracelets etc... and not giving up!

The staff were helpful, but weren't overly chatty like other Philipinos we've met elsewhere. Breakfast was really delicious - the omlettes were amazing! So were the pancakes :) Unfortunately the rest of the meals weren't as great... so I recommend eating lunch/ dinner elsewhere (there's plenty of restaurants along the beach so that's not an issue).

SeaQuest Dive Centre is attached to the resort and they're fantastic - great dives, really fun guides.

The island is gorgeous - no cars, just motorbikes - easy to walk around and go exploring. It really feels like you've stepped back in time to a different world here.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

On the positive side; nice, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, good supply of water, large pool. Unfortunately the aircon is cheap and noisy.
The service however does not meet up to standard and certainly does not justify the cost of the room. The staff is friendly enough but needs to show more initiative. Rooms do not get cleaned unless you ask for it; staff in the restaurant seems more involved with each other than with the guests. The food is OK, but most guests eat elswhere so no atmosphere in the restaurant. Tip: bar and resturant of next door Hippocampus is far more pleasant

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Extended our stay it doen't get much better than this in the Phillipines our room was great ,big shower,dressing area ,real mattresses ,LCD TV, fridge very clean.The hot water runs on solor so not always hot so who cares ,we are so lucky. Swimming pool and beach is beautiful, this is the best place on the island. It is higher end pricing but well worth it. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Food was good.

Room Tip: Ground floor is nice with little patio
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This is a good coice for people who like to have the amenities of a hotel. Each room has two comfortable real beds (not the foam type that is commonly used in the provinces), a small fridge, a 32 inch LCD TV, and the typical hotel furniture. The toilet and shower are upscale with nice tiles and hot water is available. The alarm clock also controls the lights so you can turn off the lights by just reaching over to the side table. A really cool and unexpected feature for a hotel on an island that is not easy to get to. There is a table on the patio with two chairs, which we used to hang our wet clothes.

They have there own dive shop located in front right beside the gift shop. The swimming pool is a pretty good size pool and is contantly cleaned; lots of leaves getting into it throughout the day. Breakfast is good enough; nothing fancy; choice of rice or bread, eggs and sausage or ham. We did not eat there for lunch or dinner so I can not comment on the quality.

Overall, the hotel is a very nice place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Malapascua Legend? Share your experiences!