“Nice place to stay but disorganised diving” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Purple Snapper Dive Resort

You added Purple Snapper Dive Resort to your Saves list
Purple Snapper Dive Resort
Bounty Beach, 6013, Philippines   |
“Nice place to stay but disorganised diving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My boyfriend and i stayed here for 6 days in a room looking on to the pool. The room itself was nice and would be cleaned if requested and there were a couple of loungers by the pool for sunbathing-nice to have the pool as Bounty Beach wasnt as nice as i had hoped, lots of boats.

We got breakfast with the room which was ok but always a challenge ordering in the restaurant as the staff speak and understand little english and even when pointing at what you want they look at the menu as if they've never seen it before. Food wasn't great here and very overpriced. Also avoid the syrupy cocktails, you can find real cocktails at the beach or on the floating bar.

The main problem we had here was my boyfriends diving. It was disorganised and he tried 3 times to go on the thresher shark dive only actually achieving it once but even then they were in the water late which messed up the dive. They did offer a half price dive the following day so my boyfriend got up for the third time at 4am only for it to be cancelled as the boat didnt show up. Very unprofessional. One cancellation, ok, these things happen, but 2! Plenty of other dive companies on the island who have their act together.

Overall, decent place to stay, bit expensive but the whole island seems to be just be wary of the diving situation.

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed in Purple Snapper spontaneously for 5 days.

I really liked the atmosphere - easy and relaxed. The people were very easy going (or we were lucky) - grabbing a beer and chatting all together in the evening, we loved the community feeling in the place.

Another thing I really appreciate - the design of the resort - not too fancy, but with the style - simple, cozy, and more authentic feeling. Sandy floor, heavy wooden table, nice lightening in the bar, "hidden" iMac - you notice that it was thought about the details.
The little rooms were well designed, clean and well yes, basic - but HELLO People - that's what this place is about!!!! It's not a fancy resort, however if you want an authentic feeling - this is the place.

The breakfast were great - every choice was really delicious and portions are big (at least for me... american style). The mushroom burger was great too - a Must. However it's true that place lacks choice of food (especially fish and vegetarian), or better - a daily offer, as I don't trust in long menus.

However it was not a problem for us - there are plenty of good dining options just around the corner, so usually for dinner we went out.

Unfortunately I can't comment the diving as I don't dive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

1. Resort: Nice, clean rooms but pretty basic. You get what you pay for and its a good cheap option on the island. Its right in the middle of the village. I really enjoyed it because its something unique compare to all the other resorts at the beach front. Only the roosters making a noise nearly all night long wants to make you turn from a vegetarian into a meat eating person again :)

2. Diving: Well, this place could be a lot more passionate about their job. You barely get the dive guides talking about the dive sites and the marine life. Every day you have to pull the information where they go diving the next day out of their nose, which made me stop diving because it didnt seem appealing to me.

Safety is an issue with those guys. On my first dive the lost my gear I had already checked up on. It took us a while to find out that another girl was wearing my gear. I wanted to make a safety check up again but got told just to put it on and jump into the water. Well, that can happen but on the same dive the lost another persons gear and they had to swap it over already being in the water.
Cant be that hard to put numbers on each BCD, matching to your gear box, to make sure which gear belongs to a diver!
On my third dive the forgot my booties and I had to dive in a bigger size, which wasnt very pleasant.
The briefing is more than average, no description of the dive site that you can have some sort of orientation under water.
None of the dive guides seem to have a great experience of diving somewhere else, which makes me wonder where do they get their experience from.

No one seems really interested to sit down with you after the dive to go through some fish books or have a chat about what you saw in the water, which I think is quite interesting and important especially for beginners.

If you only need a guide thats the place to be but if you are interested in the marine life and the island you are better of somewhere else!
On the good side they are very environmental friendly place but I am not sure if thats the dive guides choice or the company true believes.

Malapascua is a great tiny little island and the locals are super friendly and helpful. Its so worth a visit but Purple Snapper is lacking a lot of passion for the industry they are working in!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
las pinas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

when we arrived they couldn't find our reservation. Their internet was down so they couldn't check online for confirmation. Luckily I could access my phone email so we got our room.

The room was just fine. Cheap and normal. But there are so many roosters and some construction going on just next to our room! The noise from the chickens is too loud and we have to force ourselves to get proper sleep for our next day dives. We were always awakened at 3am because of so many roosters beside the resort!

The Purple Snapper dive instructors were fine. We still prefer Filipino instructors as based from experience they are more polite and kind. Also the diving point were not so spectacular. Just average. I commend the professionalism of their instructors though but we really prefer local dive instructor as we can communicate better with our local language.

Pizza was great but their menu lacks variety. The receptionist is friendly and the Filipino staffs are kind.

Overall we will go back to Malapascua but stay in a different resort even if we have to pay extra just so we can get decent sleep and maybe diving experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Must be one of the cheapest for what you get on the island. The dive instructors are always there to chat about diving. The food is great and rooms are nice. We checked the whole island and found that this was the best place for our budjet and the quality we wanted for christmas.

• Stayed December 2012
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed there 7 days. It's just 50m away from the main beach, if you do not get accomodation in first row.
Rooms with fan are spacious and cleaned if you want anytime -1500 pesos with breakfast included (you get 200 pesos discount if you dive). There are also back pack room for cheaper option.
The whole staff is just amazing,freindly, especially their instructor Harry - Spanish loco guy =)

Defenitelly resort I suggest you to stay in.

Slovenia dive team =)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a nice place to stay on a budget. If you have four people, you can stay for Php150 each/night. The rooms are decent. The restaurant area makes for a good social hangout, and they have very good happy hour cocktails, but I wasn't a big fan of the food. That's okay because there are several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Purple Snapper Dive Resort? Share your experiences!