“Island getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Quezon City, Philippines
“Island getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Rooms were spacious and clean. It has a nice view of the beach too from the veranda! Staff were very courteous and helpful; always with a smile too. The best part- the food.. where every dish we ordered was a gastronomic delight!
For the beach, nice white sands and clear waters. Weather was fine and sunny, despite being rainy season. A great divers paradise; of course the place to see the threshers sharks. Probably the best place in malapascua to spend you vacation, whether it be just for 3 days or for 3 weeks. We would definitely go back !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Pasig City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We loved our room! Aside from having a comfortable big bed and a well-maintained T&B, it has the perfect beach front veranda (you have to get the rooms on the second floor for this one though) where you can laze around if the beach is too hot for you during the day. The food in the resort was fantastic as well. For the price we had to pay for every meal, we didn't expect such gastronomic treats every time. We will miss those yummy morsels as much as we will miss the island.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

First the dive shop:
I brought my own gear so I can't comment on the rentals. The dive guides are really friendly and can accomodate the non-divers with me with regard to where to eat, what to do... Tata even accompanied my aunts on a walk around the island and told them about the other hotels. The gear area was spotless and I was assigned my own crate which they always brought onto the boat whenever we had to go on dives. The boatmen and guides set up your gear for you so you can just sit back, relax and watch the flying fish, dolphins (and if you're fortunate) jumping mantas. The tanks were all rust free, no leaks from the valves and generally well maintained (they looked almost new but weren't). They took care of my gear really well, always taking my bcd and regs off the tanks after every dive and then stowing them in my assigned crate on the boat (same goes for my other gear like fins and camera). The banca has coffee, tea, and water onboard so you can warm up after dives. For those who are scared of heights or are not used to doing the giant stride off of a boat, you've been warned :)

The room:

The room was brand new, spotless, nice furnishings and lots of storage. The bathroom was adequate and spotless as well. The hot water just takes a while to come on when you open the tap but since it was hot I didn't mind. No TV but then again, you're in paradise with the beach just a few steps away so why spend all your time glued to the TV?? Mattresses had a mattress pad which added to the comfort and the mattresses were actual spring coiled mattresses not like the other resorts which only have foam. The pillow was of perfect height for me and it didn't flatten down while I slept. The airconditioning worked fine, and my aunt loved chilling out on the balcony to enjoy the sea air.

Staff: what can I say about the staff except for the fact that they're really friendly, well trained, and made me feel at home.

Food: Breakfast was pretty good after a 5am dive to see the thresher. They have their own bread which were all really really really good. They serve baguettes, multigrain (I think it was multigrain, it had bits of corn and it was brown), and this round bread that looks like a hamburger bun but different. Normally I don't eat a lot of carbs but I ended up eating at least one pc of each bread during my stay there with salted butter. The other items we had every day were: scrambled eggs, sunny side up eggs, bacon (yummy), ham, muesli, corn flakes, jams, fresh juices, milk, coffee, tea. If you're a picky eater who likes variety then don't look for it during breakfast because they serve the same choices every day. Fine by me though because the bread and the bacon were really good. Ask the staff for where to eat in case you get tired of the restaurant menu. Tata suggested Angelina's to my aunts which is an Italian restaurant down the beach, and they loved it.

Overall I really liked my stay here and would come back again!

Room Tip: get the corner room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

A first class well run resort. Rooms spacious and spotlessly clean. A well run restaurant with delcious local food.
Sven and Fabianne the owners go that extra mile to make their guests feel welcome and provide a great service.
The dive centre is on site and provides a first class service.
If your'e heading Malapasca I don't think you will find anywhere better.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Blackmore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for four nights. It was lovely spacious and clean with a mini fridge, wardrobe table and chairs, lovely bathroom (but no hair dryer). Lovely breakfast served - must try the banana pancake was very yummy! Ate them every morning. Beach is beautiful and if you take any lilos or rings for the sea be prepared for the local kids to join in and play on them - maybe even swim off with them and then bring them back about 2 hours later haha! Absolutely lovely hotel with lovely staff - Would definitely go back!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in Malapascua and really enjoyed our stay at Ocean Vida. The accommodation was perfect: big, bright and clean rooms right on the beach. Most of the guests were divers but we were there only to relax, sunbathe and do some snorkeling. The staff is friendly, helpful and not pushy like in other touristic places in the Philippines. The food served at the restaurant was ok but it would be nice to have a real coffee in the morning!

Also another suggestion: better clean the beach in front of the resort so the water remains crystal clear. It would be a pity to spoil this paradise!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Waalwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Vida hotel for seven nights in April 2011. We must say this was the best hotel we encountered during our holiday in the Philippines. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The staff cleans the entire room every day with great care.

The restaurant was also very nice. The food was good and very reasonably priced and the staff was very friendly. The view from the restaurant over the beach and the sea is great.

We booked this hotel as part of an island hopping package with Sea Explorers. The dive center was very well organized and the crew was fantastic. We really enjoyed diving here and we were lucky enough to see the thresher shark on all our early morning dives! We would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!