“Amazing diving experience” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
14 attraction reviews
“Amazing diving experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Nice boats, fair price, good people. Thresher Shark Divers is a solid operation. 13000 pesos for 6 dives, meals and equipment. The boats are large, and the staff friendly. They are still recovering from the aftermath of typhoon haiyan but service is back up and running and the coral appeared healthy. The shark diving was amazing if you can get up early enough, honestly I stopped counting after 5. Just an FYI, you need to be Advanced level or higher to do the thresher shark dives but TSD offers all you would need in terms of classes and instruction. Highly reccomended

• Turkish first
Beijing
3 attraction reviews
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I cannot recommend this dive centre more. I completed my Open Water Diver certificate with Thresher Shark Divers, and feel very confident in the quality of my course. My instructor Chris was a wealth of knowledge and experience, and took the time to answer all of the questions I had about the course, and more. He even took the time after each dive to sit down with a marine encyclopedia and explain what marine life I had seen on each dive. It is clear the management have selected an extremely high quality of instructors, who have decades of dive experience, and teach in a really receptive manner.

The whole team, both instructors and dive shop, showed this same kind of commitment to professionalism, and friendliness. They were very helpful in regard to my budget, and satbdown with me before I signed up and figured out a great dive plan for me -none of that pushing to make a sale! The boat crew are super helpful, and will always assist in getting you ready before and after a dive, and the bar/ restaurant staff are friendly and efficient- AND they easily make the best coffee on the island.

Besides the quality of the instructors themselves, The dives are breathtaking. Being able to learn in an environment that is swimming (litterally) with mariene life, and has such interesting scenery made my time very special. Also, the whole team has a great commitment to preserving the beautiful ecosystem around Malapascua.

As a solo female traveler, the team at TSD not only provided me with a great dive experience, but also left me with a feeling of security. The staff not only help answer your dive questions, but will also assist with any other problem that may arise. Most importantly, the community of instructors, staff, managers, locals, and other divers left such a positive impression on me, I will surely be coming back to soon!

Really, make this a must while in the Phillipines.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Thresher Shark Divers - Post-Typhoon Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Within a few weeks of the typhoon making landfall here, the dive shop was taking divers out everyday. This shop is very professional and the only dive shop I've experienced out of 20-30+ in 3rd world countries that operates within the real PADI/SDI rules you would expect from a US dive shop. They ensure the divers are certified for the dives they are going on, instead of just taking the money and hoping for the best. The stringent safety upfront gave us a very good feeling. The diving experience was amazing, and the dive masters did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Nijkerk, The Netherlands
“Thresher Shark Divers (Threshers still there after typhoon)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

From 23 - 29 December 2013 (after Typhoon Yolanda) we visited Malapascua.
For diving we choose Thresher Shark Divers and TSD was indeed the best on the island.

Although so short after the typhoon things were still challenging, TSD made sure we could enjoy our diving as much as possible. 4 early morning (5 o'clock) Monad Shoal Thresher Shark dives, two night dives, Gato Island, Chocolate Island and most dive sites around Malapascua lead to 16 dives. Great dives, on each Monad Shoal dive we have seen the Threshers, up to 9 of them per dive, some very closeby. My girlfriend finalised the AOW and Nitrox. Chris was here instructor. Thanks for the detailed way of describing everything, the great dives and good fun.

Gibb was for most of my dives my guide. My goodness, this man has eyes as a hawk. Literally everything is being spotted during a dive. As a underwaterfilmer, he showed me the best of what Malapascua has to offer. The Threshers, sea snakes, Mandarin fish, sea horses, nudibranches in all variaty and so on. Shrimps everywhere, as well as crab etc. Gibb: thanks, you are the best!

Next to being the best dive school TSD is also helping the victims of Yolanda on Malapascua. Great initiative.

Thanks to all at TSD for the great time.

Visited November 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great Diving, Great People, Great Fun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My buddy and I had an excellent time diving with TSD. When we first arrived on Malapasqua we were diving with another dive centre , but their organisation and professionalism were not amazing, and most of the dive briefings left alot to be desired. So we switched to TSD, and wow, what a world of difference!

The staff there, from the owners and manager down to the instructors and divemasters are all very hands on, informative and professional. They took the time to check all of our certifications - the previous centre hadn't even bothered to! - and make sure we were allocated into dive groups of suitable levels and experience.

We did a couple of days diving, and apart from the mandatory Monad Shoal, I'd highly recommend a trip out to Gato Island - its awesome! After diving you can have a chilled out drink in TSD's rooftop bar and mingle with other divers and staff. They also serve food, and although I didn't eat there I can confirm it did smell and looked pretty good!

Price wise TSD are a little more than some of the other centres on the island, but in my opinion totally worth it for the level of service, safety and professionalism provided, whilst simultaneously being fun and friendly with it. I'd definitely go back.

Visited November 2012