“Would I go back to TSD?” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Darwin, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Would I go back to TSD?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Had never been to the Philippines before so had no idea what to expect. We decided on Malapascua as a good place to start. There is a lot of choice on the island for dive operators and accommodation. We went with TSD as the booking process was simple,correspondence was prompt and they arranged all transfers, and accommodation for us. Only have one criticism with the booking was I asked for a breakdown of the package price as I wanted to see what I was being charged for the accommodation, still did not get it. That being said the process was easy, our flight was delayed into Cebu and thankfully the driver was still there waiting for us. Its 3hrs by road to the port and 30mins by boat to the Island.

Once at TSD we were met by the staff, filled out the usual paperwork, then taken to be fitted with the dive gear which is new or near new and in great condition, no problem there at all. We were taken to our accommodation at Slam's which is a 3min walk behind TSD, there is a side gate that is open during the day that will cut a minute off your walk time.

The diving was very good, DM's were good and knowledgeable, some of the briefings were given on the fly, but that didn't bother us. We saw some species that were on our list to tick off including the Thresher shark which was fantastic. Had a lot of fun and some funny moments,after a night dive and the flat bottom boat wouldn't start and we were drifting, had to be there I guess!! There did seem to be a lack of drinking water on the boat and were initially told that there was tea and coffee on-board, must have been on the other boat, we didn't see any of it.

As promised you go there to see the Thresher and leave thinking about Kalanggaman Island, it is a day trip and is absolutely stunning, its one of those islands you see in postcards. The BBQ lunch on the island was very good, plenty of food.

Over all it was a good experience, staff were friendly, diving was very good, food was ok and cheap and beer even cheaper.

Some have referred to it as a dive factory, I disagree, everything was well organised, your gear was put in a create with your name on it for the entire time. We have been to other places where you have to scramble to find your equipment for the next dive, well done to TSD for being organised.

I have pointed out good and some minor bad points. Overall very good, but just seemed to be lacking something. Would I go back again, I wouldn't rule them out but would have a look at other operators.

• Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
7 attraction reviews
“Amazing diving, relaxed atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

A highly professional, busy but extremely well run dive operation. Great food at the restaurant, and nice drinks too. Good value for money. Good instructors and enthusiastic divemasters.
The dive sites are all amazing and yes, we did see the Threshers several times during our stay. Tops!

England
11 attraction reviews
“Return visit even better than last time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited Malapascua last year but due to the tail end of super tyhpoon our choice of dive sites was limited. We did see the thresher sharks last year but decided to come back and try again. It is always difficult returning somewhere you enjoyed as you never have the same experience twice. I am delighted to say we enjoyed ourselves even more than the first time. When we got close to the dive shop we kept meeting people who remembered us from last year and we were given a very warm welcome. This year the shop was much busier due to a Singapore holiday and this worried us as we felt we may be lost in the crowd. In fact it meant that there were more boats and more choice of dive sites. We still felt that we were valued customers and they even planned some dives round our requests. Both the Filippino and Western staff were warm, friendly and helpful. The boat boys did a great job as usual, always there to assist before I knew I needed them. Our favourite Divemaster was Riza. She is a very good guide but also has a real sense of humour and is fun to spend the day with. I think the reception you get sometimes depends on how you treat people. If you smile and are friendly they return the sentiment in bucket loads. Definitely recommended.

Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
11 attraction reviews
“Threasher Shark Divers disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at TSD with great expectations, but found this operator disappointing compared the the dozens of others I've dived with around the world. Technically they are ok; they'll take you out and bring you back alive, but there's not the joy I've experienced at other dive resorts. Scuba should be fun! These guys are just doing a job taking you for a swim. Another day, another dollar. The local crew pretty much ignored the customers except for getting the gear on and off the dive boats ... I also thought they were on the expensive side charging for every little extra which other resorts provide for free (eg 15 litre tanks).
The highlight of the diving was swimming amongst the Thresher sharks and we saw 7 on our shark dive. However the boat leaves at 5AM. The water was murky and the reef was degraded. My immediate reaction was that I wanted to leave and go some place nice like Coron, where the diving is great!
Many Europeans seem to come here for PADI Dive Master and Instructor training and the ones I met seemed happy enough with their choice. There were also many expats flying in from China with direct flights to Cebu and they seemed happy enough to go for a dive. It's all relative to where you've dived before.
The bus from Cebu Northern Terminal was very good with aircon and great WiFi for the entire trip. They'll drop you at the dock and then you catch the outrigger ferry to malapascu island. Bus and ferry took about 6 hours. Also there's no ATM on the island, so bring cash. TSD will let you run a tab for diving and restaurant and you can pay by card.
Overall, unless you're crazy about Thresher Sharks, it's just not worth the effort!

Visited October 2013
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you to this guest for his feedback.

I'm really sorry he found us lacking. As he only did one dive with us, a 5am shark dive, I fear that he did not have much time to see what we are really like.

We definitely did our best to give him our usual top quality service. He only contacted us the first time 48 hours prior to his arrival, and I personally sent him 9 separate email in this time period, some being immediate responses and after hours. I did my very best to be helpful and to facilitate this last minute booking, and to try to find him the cheapest way possible to get to Malapascua. On arrival, our staff took him round the local resorts so he could find something to suit his budget.

The expat group he mentions have been back to dive with us many, many times and their dive club numbers about 30-40 people. They have been diving to many other places, but end up being disappointed and keep returning to us. One of the reasons they like to come is the staff and the atmosphere. So it is a shame that this guest did not experience the same warmth and hospitality we are known for with this other group.

I do hope this guest will come back another time and stay for longer than a single dive, as he will hopefully get to experience TSD hospitality at its finest :-) He we also get to see that we have some other world class dive sites and it's not just about the sharks!
“Fabulous Experience with Thresher Shark Divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Our Instructor was Chris....he's Ace! Myself and my partner completed our PADI advanced scuba diving course with this company. We dived with thresher sharks among other things. It's a professional facility with friendly, knowledgable, equally professional staff. Highly recommended!!!!

Visited July 2013
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Mellybrod,

Thank you very much for your kind review. And many congratulations on your Advanced Open Water course! I will pass your review onto Chris, he will be happy to read it. I'm very glad to know he did such a great job on your course and I am sure you learned a lot!

I wish you happy diving in the future, and we hope to see you back at some point in the future!

Warm regards