“Mixed experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels)

You added Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels) to your Saves list
Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels)
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fundo Sierra Nevada Km 22, VI Region | Reserva Nacional Rio Los Cipreses, Rancagua, Chile (Formerly Puma Lodge)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rancagua
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Mixed experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The directions we were provided proved to be pretty inadequate resulting in us not getting close to the hotel until about 10PM. After negotiating the tricky roads we arrived at a locked gate. The directions had told us a guard would be there but this wasn't the case. This meant I had to climb over the gate and trek 1.5 miles up a steep, rock strewn path while my wife waited in the car.
A very helpful and pleasant staff member took me back in a vehicle to open the gate and allow us entry. The staff in the restaurant also were able to provide dinner even though the restaurant was closed.
When my wife made the reservation she had enquired about booking a hell-fishing excision. She was told that this would be taken care of at the hotel. In the morning when we went to book a fishing excursion we were told that it was not fishing season. Very disappointing to make this kind of a trip and not be informed when making the reservation that fishing would not be possible.
The person that helped me the night before driving back to my wife was a guide, and we went out with him and another guest for a fantastic hike. The guide was very knowledgable and friendly and we really enjoyed the 4 hour hike into the surrounding mountains.
The restaurant staff were friendly and efficient, the food basic but well prepared and what we were expecting in a lodge. The bar area provided stunning views across the mountain range with a nice fire crackling away in the middle.
The following day we decided to do a solo hike up to the flat top rock that our guide had told us about. As we started this hike the first gate we came to was locked, meaning that once again my wife and i had to figure out a way to climb over a 10' high gate.
I did not hear from a manager during our stay about our initial problems.
I think the hotel has marvelous staff, is situated in an incredible location but seems tho suffer from some basic management type issues.
If you go do not rely on the directions provided, ensure that any activity you want to do is available when making the reservation and stress to someone that the gate needs to be unlocked. You may end up ruining a very nice pair of shoes as i did making that final climb on foot!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Noi H, Gerente at Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels), responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear David,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at NOI Puma Lodge with other travelers via TripAdvisor.
This kind of comments help us a lot since we are able to se what are we doing fine and what should we improve. So we are sending you comment to the operation team so they are aware of this situation and can find solutions as soon as possible.
Anyways, we would like to invite you to get to know the other hotels of the NOI Hotels chain, all located in outstanding destinations: NOI Casa Atacama in the Atacama Desert, NOI Vitacura in Santiago, NOI Índigo in the Patagonia, Hare NOI in the Easter Island and Crusoe Island Lodge in the Juan Fernandez archipelago.
We hope to see you son

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I read all the reviews before going, and went with some hesitation. Pumalodge has only been an all-year concern since August, and evidently they had some kinks to work out. As far as I'm concerned, they've ironed out most of them.
Don't be confused. You have to want to go to get there. The last five miles or so are definitely 4 wheel. But you're driving through gorgeous Andean valleys. The lodge itself is tucked in a little glen high in the mountains, and built to take advantage of a spectacular view out the huge windows in the lounge and bar. The decor is clean and...well, lodgy.
I saw complaints about room size. No, the rooms aren't huge, but they're comfortable and clean, with those same views and a large, clean, comfortable bathroom and closets made for a lot of outdoor equipment.
I also saw people complain about the food. The selection is definitely limited. Breakfast was continental with eggs, fruit and toast if wanted. We also had dinner, which was a choice between 2, 3-course meals that, along with wine ran $40. I really couldn't understand the complaints. The food was uniformly delicious and imaginative, the service excellent and the setting comfortable. And I can't think how you can beat the price.
As for service, again, uniformly wonderful, especially Jessica, Fransisco, Marcello and Augustine. We did take one long hike (straight uphill) with Augustine, and had an excellent time, ending up in a spot from which we could see--and hear-- three separate river valleys. The scenery was spectacular and Augustine's help and commentary perfect.
I do have a couple of quibbles that I'm sure can be rectified. Wifi is horrible, but I found that pretty universal in Chile. I would have loved some Pumalodgewear in the gift shop(only climbing, hiking and skiing equpment). Most of all, the directions. Since the lodge is off paved roads, GPS doesn't work until you're at the lodge trying to get back out. The Spanish directions don't translate into English at all well. My husband donated a set of very specific kilometer by kilometer directions that I hope the lodge uses. It's not hard to find. But there are a couple of funny zig zags in and around Rancagua that can throw you off. Pumalodge is definitely isolated. But if you're looking for almost pristine beauty and silence so profound you can hear a river a thousand feet below, this is the place.

Room Tip: All the views are the same. My big advice would be to get clear directions. Happy to share if you ne...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Eileen:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at NOI Puma Lodge with other traveler via TripAdvisor.
We are glad to read that your stay with us was that good and that you were able to enjoy with your couple everything that NOI Puma Lodge has to offer.
Our hotel, as you mentioned, is located in the heart of the Andes Mountains and has breathtaking views, fine cuisine and the rooms are just the right size to rest and be able to use every accommodation of the hotel.
Regarding to the wifi, we will send you comment to the operation team so they can look for a solutions as soon as possible.
We will send your greetings to the whole staff, especially to Jessica, Francisco, Marcelo y Agustin, since delivering a quality service is one of the most important things for us as a hotel chain. We would like to invite you to prove it yourself by visiting us in any of our hotels, all located in outstanding destinations: NOI Casa Atacama in the Atacama Desert, NOI Vitacura in Santiago, NOI Índigo in the Patagonia, Hare NOI in the Easter Island and Crusoe Island Lodge in the Juan Fernandez archipelago.
We hope to see you again
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

For my wife and I, the Puma Lodge was a truly unique experience. The last 24 kilometers of dirt road was rough but well worth the trip if you like remote spots. The location sits next to a river and is surrounded by beautiful mountain peaks. The sound of the running water is the only sound you'll hear. There are great hikes available from the lodge. The lodge itself is a beautiful structure and is well maintained. The "living room" and bar looks out over the river and mountains. The dining room was very adequate and the staff were always helpful and friendly. There is even a pool. The Puma Lodge is not inexpensive, but it was more than worth it to us to be in such a beautiful and unique location in the Andes mountains.

Room Tip: There are only 24 rooms on 2 floors, all rooms looking out over the river and mountains. We were on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Noi H, Gerente at Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels), responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Ray,
Thank you for sharing your experience at Noi Puma Lodge with other travelers via TripAdvisor.
We are very happy to hear that your and your wife stay was so good. The hotels, as you mentioned, is located in the heart of the Andes Mountains, which, as you mentioned, provides impressive views the whole year around.
We hope you come back again, so you can get to know the hotel in a better way, for example, by relaxing at the “Los Cipreses” Spa, were you can find the best massages. We would like to invite you both to visit us again in any other Noi Hotels hotel, all located in outstanding destinations: Noi Casa Atacama in the Atacama Desert, Noi Vitacura in Santiago, Noi Indigo in the Patagonia, Hare Noi in the Easter Island and Crusoe Island Lodge in the Juan Fernandez archipelago.
We hope to see you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Puma Lodge for a weekend and it was a truly amazing experience. Situated in the middle of the Andes the lodge is surrounded by amazing views of the mountains. The service at this place was very good from start to finish, the staff really did a great job to fulfil all requests we had, very friendly and flexible.

We were there in the summer so we did a couple of nice hikes, both with guide and without, in all cases with perfect support from the very knowledgeable guides., catering for both experienced and less experienced hikers.

There is only one restaurant so you don’t have that many options but the food was always good and a very nice selection of wines as well.

The place has a pool with rather cold water but they also have hot tubs where you could heat up if needed.

We didn’t have a car so Puma Lodge arranged a transport for us from Santiago, its an about 3h drive, not exactly cheap but neither is renting a car in Chile, especially since you preferably should have a 4x4 for the last dirt road part.

In the end, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys nature and will definitively come back!

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, might be a bit nicer on the second floor so you can leave the window open.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Northmound,
We are very happy to hear that your stay was exactly what you were looking for.
As you said, the “Alto las Leñas” restaurant is a place where you can enjoy the fine cuisine with a glass of the best wine, stored in our wine cellar.
We would like to suggest you to come back with your girlfriend during the winter since the landscapes are totally different.
We will send your greetings to the whole excursions team, because service is something very important for us as a chain.
We hope you can visit us again either in Noi Puma Lodge or in any other Noi Hotels hotel, all located in outstanding destinations: Noi Casa Atacama in the Atacama Desert, Noi Vitacura in Santiago, Noi Indigo in the Patagonia, Hare Noi in the Easter Island and Crusoe Island Lodge in the Juan Fernandez archipelago.
Best
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My Wife and I were looking forward to our stay here; the hype about this new lodge, the idillic location, were all very enticing. I took 2 days off my busy schedule for a one-night escape here, for what was to be a quite and secluded birthday away from it all. Unfortunately, this lodge is very far from being the great place to stay they advertise; mostly due to a ridiculous management attitude problem.

I called the Hotel the day before arrival, asking if it would be possible to get a quite room, away from any noise at the hotel. I was reassured, specially since I was told we'd probably be the one of the only guests there on that evening.

We arrived in the mid-afternoon, again referring to the importance of wanting a quiet room (this time, in person, to the girl checking us in at the front desk). We were 1 of 2 rooms booked on the entire lodge that evening. Our series of dissapointments culminating on a terrible experience here were about to start.

"The devil is in the details"... this is what all the really successful professional Hotel Managers of this world copiously know. It is attention to detail that makes the best hotels. Puma Lodge is very far from this. First of all, The NOI Hotel chain should really take more care and not induce guests into false advertising; All of the Lodge's rooms on booking.com are described as having "40 m2", when in actuality, the rooms are 28 m2, at the most (including bathroom and closet). I'm an Architect by schooling so of this I'm certain.

- It is very disenchanting (to say the least) to travel to such a hard-to-reach location, only to realise the rooms are almost half the advertised size. We couldn't believe how much smaller the rooms are from what's advertised when we walked into our room.

- There was a soiled piece of underwear (!!) from a (former guest??) in our closet. I promptly called the chamber maid's attention. They came in and grabbed the garment out of the closet, using a paper towel so their hands wouldn't touch the garment, but they couldn't care less about actually cleaning the area of the closet where this garment was laying...

- No minibar in the room. At almost USD $500 / night, one would expect a minibar in the room... The safe deposit boxes are so ridiculously small, they may just about fit an i-pod. There were all sorts of signs of cheap cost-cutting everywhere one looked...

- Time for dinner; on our way to the restaurant, we were simply "told" (not asked... told) that dinner would be served at the Lobby bar, since the restaurant was closed. When I called the day before and learnt the hotel would be empty, I specifically asked if the restaurant would be opened, and was told it would.... I complained, and thus they opened the restaurant for us. When we arrived, the restaurant was cold, since they'd clearly shut down the heating given the few customers around. Very, very unprofessional. We chose to walk back to the Lounge bar, where we ended up having our dinner, since it was warmer there....

- Next morning, we were very much looking forward to sleeping in, having breakfast in the room, and leaving for our exploratory trip. Unfortunately, our day was marred from very early on. It turns out that, despite being 1 of only 2 guests in the ENTIRE LODGE, we were placed side-by-side next to the ONLY OTHER guests in the Hotel !!! Very Noisy guests at that, who woke us up with incredible amounts of chit-chat and loud talking at 7am... Paper-thin walls, with ZERO sound insulation. I called reception and demanded to speak to the Hotel Manager, to get an explanation of WHY ON EARTH we were placed neck-to-neck with the only other guests staying there, specially when we asked the opposite. It was like it was done on Purpose...

- After several calls to reception and not a word from the resident manager for over 1 hour, I walked over to the reception. The Hotel's manager showed up; I explained the situation; I got a lame excuse about the booking having been automatically made by the hotel's SW. Not a SINGLE word of apology of even sympathy, uttered from the hotel's "manager"... not a single gesture of remedy, compensation, absolutely NOTHING. Only indifference and arrogance.

- I went back to the room, this time called front desk again, to have our breakfast brought earlier than anticipated, since we'd just been rudely awakened and no one gave a hoot, so we just wanted to have our breakfast and leave ASAP. My call served no purpose; breakfast was brought an hour later, not a minute before our originally scheduled time from the night before. A pungent smell of burnt food was the main scent of the breakfast brought in; a crisply charred fried egg. For heaven's sake...

- Wild cows were free to roam into the Hotel's garden and pool area, stomping on top of the few little decorative plants in the garden. Not a single employee cared enough to shoo the cows away while they tore the garden and happily drank water from them pool.

- We promptly left the room and proceeded to check out, where the same front desk clerk - as unapologetic as her boss - checked us out and charged us for what ended up being almost USD$ 600 for a single night stay plus a dinned we weren't even able to choose from, since there was only 1 dish available...

- Had to wait another few minutes before leaving, since 2 of the hotel employees had simply blocked the Hotel's front driveway with their parked trucks, having left them there all evening, under the entrance's awning, while the only guests' car (my car) was parked out in the uncovered area, waiting for the employees to move their trucks from the covered area, so I could leave...

- I Hope the proprietors of this lodge realise what a useless management they have here. And please fix the false room area advertising issue. I hope it's not the (unfortunately often usual case of) someone having been appointed manager here for family ties or other unprofessional reasons. But the way this place is being run now, it certainly looks that way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Noi H, Gerente at Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels), responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear WWtraveler

We thank you that you took your time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers.
We regret the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay at the hotel. We have gotten in touch with the operations team to solve what was previously mentioned.

These types of situations are not common in Puma Lode nor at the other hotels belonging to the Noi group, considering that our good services is one of our distinctive characteristics and our staff has always stood out for its hospitality and professional ways.

Once again we regret your experience and hope you will consider visiting us again in the future to give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Best regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here last March. We where a family of 12.
The hotel is really a lodge, as the name says.
Fully made of wood. Do not expect something modern of fancy.

It has a really nice atmosphere, the staff is great and really friendly.
Breakfast, which was included was delicious.

We booked two trekking for the two days we stayed. Nice walks, the mountains are beautiful.

The only thing is that the rooms are really bad for the price you are paying.
We had one double room. They where small, dark.... and didn't satisfy my expectations.
Really disappointing. They looked like a hostel room.

Public areas are nice and comfortable.

Another down is that here you must eat all your meals at the hotel, because there is nothing near, and it is really expensive too for the price. (bring snacks for the day!)
Salads where basic, nothing really special, and they charged you a lot.
Buffet dinner isn't worth it either.

If you eat here I would recommend you to sit in the bar area, near the big chimneys and order a sandwich from the bar, much better and according for what they charge you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I heliskied with 3 of my buddies at Puma Lodge. The heli ski director is Francisco "Pancho" Medina. Our trip was great. A great helicopter pilot, a great ski guide, and gorgeous terrain. Pancho is a wonderful personality and had meals with us. He tried his best to maximize the vertical feet we could ski in a day. The terrain is terrific. The lodge is magnificent. The food was excellent and the staff was very friendly. It is in a very secluded national park area. It feels like a 5 star lodging in a totally pristine area. The sky at night is incredible sitting in the hot tub. Great times. I would do it again. So, the bottom line is that if you got an itch to go skiing in the North American summer and want some adventure, this is one great place to do it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Puma Lodge (Noi Hotels)? Share your experiences!