“Haab Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma

You added Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma to your Saves list
Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45, Carretera Cancun - Tulum, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
40% off room rate
Ranked #47 of 353 Hotels in Riviera Maya
Louisville, Kentucky
“Haab Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I actually stayed in El Dorado Casitas Royale next to the new Generations but visited the Haab Restaurant on May 2. The whole experience there was so good we actually returned the following evening with my sister in law and her husband to allow them to enjoy it too. The first evening I casually mentioned it was our wedding anniversary the following day.
The second visit outshone the first, which was difficult. Both evenings the service was not hurried but that was exactly what we wanted. Both evenings Alfonso was a truly excellent, attentive and engaging waiter and a real asset to the restaurant.
On the second night we were welcomed to a specially decorated table, amazingly attentive service (as previously), a special steak mole dish and a wonderful dessert plate with 'Happy Anniversary' piped on it - Alfonso had remembered my casual remark.
Congratulations on a wonderful restaurant and all staff but particularly Alfonso - a treasure!
Thank you. :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Jacki08,

It is a pleasure to hear you got to enjoy our facilities while staying at El Dorado Casitas Royale and you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Alejandro Lopez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband, 15 month old son, and 19 year old niece booked this hotel after reading several positive reviews on trip advisor. We also felt lulled into a (false) sense of security by reviewing the management comments following complaints from guests - we believed the quality of the customer service and the fact that it was a new hotel and striving to learn and improve would lend itself to a high quality experience. I also felt that the perks included and the fact that the hotel was geared toward families with young children would suit our needs. Unfortunately, through a series of misrepresentations, false advertising, poor customer service, and a near serious incident involving my baby and some spoiled food, I regret choosing this hotel and I wouldn't recommend it to others.

We traveled with Air Canada Vacations during the week of April 19th to April 26th. Included in the Air Canada package were a number of items at no additional charge, including free wifi in the rooms.

The Generations webpage also boasts a number of additional attractive inclusions in order to draw people to this new resort. Among them, free upgrade options to better rooms, subject only to availability.
We thought these were attractive features and booked the resort. We also booked adjoining rooms and requested one be a corner room as suggested by another reviewer. The adjoining rooms were crucial given that our 15 month old and niece were to be staying in the same room and we didn’t want to be separated – for obvious reasons.

When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted in the main lobby – a strange outbuilding not attached to the main resort. The staff were friendly until we requested confirmation of our reservation inclusions – such as the wifi and the adjoining rooms. We were advised wifi was not free and it would cost us $50 per room per week. When we asked about the free room upgrade we were told that was only offered a certain times of the year and when the hotel was not at 80% capacity, as it allegedly was at the time of our booking. They insisted that we would have to pay US $300 per night for an upgraded room. We were quite angry and felt that this was a misrepresentation on the part of the hotel. Although they provided us wifi at no additional charge, they acted as though they were doing us a favor instead of what they should have provided given it was supposed to have been included in our Air Canada package.

Following a long check-in process, we were taken by golf cart to the main resort, a rather unimpressive and sterile compound. Don’t get me wrong, it was extremely clean and very modern. But it had a feel of a condo complex rather than a resort. My husband remarked at one point that a large congregation area – such as a big lobby, would have been a nice addition to the hotel. It was always taken for granted by us at other resorts. It’s nice to sit and have a drink somewhere before dinner, and there really wasn’t anywhere to do that. But I will address the facilities in more detail later.

Once we arrived at the Butler lounge, we were given an electronic transponder thing which beeps when the rooms were available. We took our son to a late lunch in the buffet. Halfway during the meal, the transponder beeped, but we took our time – not realizing we were about to lose our rooms.

When we arrived back at the butler lounge, we confirmed we were waiting for our adjoining rooms. One of the butlers started to check something in the computer and said, “oops, someone gave them away”. They had to book us into other rooms in the 19 block. Not adjoining. We were told those were an upgrade we would have to pay for and that we hadn’t originally booked it. Unfortunately I couldn’t print the reservation before I left the house for the airport, but I tried to assure them I had booked the rooms and requested they tried to look up the booking again. They proceeded to argue with us, and essentially told us we were lying in order to get a free upgrade. It was humiliating. They said, “if you can show us a paper with the adjoining rooms we will give it to you.” Well obviously I couldn’t at the time, but there were other guests listening and it was such a degrading and humiliating conversation that we told them to forget it. We've never been made to feel like liars before and the experience was completely shocking to us.

As it turns out, our rooms were side by side - which was little comfort given one of them actually adjoined an empty room. They could have easily given us that one and spared us all of the embarrassment and the hard feelings, but they chose not to.

I can’t fault the rooms themselves – they were standard but large and very spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was spotless. The extra large jacuzzi tub was a very nice feature, as well as the rainfall shower. The sitting area with the additional television was also a nice touch. I would say the rooms were 5 star quality.

Once we were settled, I was able pull the invoice of our booking up on my smartphone that SPECIFICALLY reserved adjoining rooms. We went downstairs to show the Butlers. The individual we spoke to said, “it’s done now – this isn’t the booking, only the travel agent invoice.” I still couldn’t believe it and told them that we weren’t liars and we wanted to show the invoice to the manager. They suggested waiting for the butler who checked us in who would be back in the morning. We frankly couldn’t go through that conversation again...we were completely fed up. We resigned ourselves to staying at the hotel, bad customer service and all, if only to try to make the most of our first vacation with our little son.

The first few days passed without major incident. The hotel is kept very clean and the minimal grounds they have are well kept. The resort felt more like a 4 star hotel than a beach resort, to be honest. There was a nice big pool but it was mostly shaded during the day and was often freezing cold. The infinity balcony pools were never occupied.

The cleaning staff don’t follow any particular schedule but came to clean our rooms during that period between the day and getting ready for dinner, which was very inconvenient. At one point after 9pm a maid attempted to burst through the door, hitting the sliding lock and making a huge noise that woke the baby up. She asked if we wanted fresh towels.

The fridge was stocked with beer but no liquor, which was a disappointment as well.

There was one open bar in the evening and it was dead, dead, dead. We were often the only people there having a nightcap.

The food was an epic disappointment. This resort, along with all of the El Dorados and Azuls have been rebranded as “gourmet inclusive” hotels. I don’t know what their idea of gourmet is, but this wasn’t it. The buffet was shameful. The food appeared to be a decent quality, some of it tasty, but very very sparse and very repetitive. I've never been to a hotel with so few buffet options. The buffet next door at the El Dorado was the same food and also had what seemed like a lot more options, although we couldn’t go next door with our son as it was an adults only resort. There were NEVER any condiments at the table or nearby, and we always had to request it. I often had to stir my coffee with a knife because they don’t provide teaspoons. Little things which you don’t notice the first day…or the second day…but then you start to notice on the third day…by the fourth day it’s a bit tedious to have to ask over and over for the same things…and on and on.

There are three open a la cart restaurants. The only one that was any good was the Jade, which was very tasty and enjoyable. The others were mediocre but my husband enjoyed the wine kitchen.

This is where things get worse:

I went to the beach bar and asked for a hamburger bun as a snack for my baby while we sat by the pool. I figured it was a fail safe snack. They handed it to me on a plate. On the walk back I looked at it closely and noticed …it had spots of blue mould all over it. It was a multigrain type bun and so it could have easily gone unnoticed while someone was eating it. I was so revolted and angry that I was about to feed it to my baby that I just threw it down on the chair and took pictures of it as I didn’t want to take any chances, given their propensity for accusing us of lying. I caught a butler who was walking by and told him to check out the hamburger bun. He was literally speechless. Within ten minutes there were several staff huddled around the plate with looks of panic on their faces. The manager came and was genuinely upset and went into damage-control mode.

As a resort that caters to families with children, the food quality needs to be elevated to a higher standard. Serving food with mould is absolutely unacceptable!

I walked away and started speaking with two other couples about the incident as my husband was speaking with the manager. They told us they hadn't had any issues but noted that they had been asked by the management to come over to check out the resort from the El Dorado and fill some rooms, and in return they would be given suites and $500 dollars. I couldn’t believe it. I went back to the manager and told him what they said and asked what the hotel capacity was at – he told me 45%. Not the 80% we were initially told to deny us the room upgrade while trying to get us to pay more.

Given that we only had a few days left and nowhere else to go with our baby, we had no choice but to stay at the resort, although I tried to transfer through Air Canada vacations. They were helpful but told us no other resorts suited our needs with availability at that time.

At dinner, we went to the buffet and the first thing I went to was the bread. It was stale and hard. I’ve never had to ask for fresh bread at a resort before but that was not adequately checking the food for freshness as promised mere hours earlier.

We spent the rest of the trip with our heads down. Fortunately we met a couple of amazing travellers who salvaged our vacation for us and whom we enjoyed getting to know very much. We miss them already.

This resort is a miss. The next door El Dorado has the most exceptionally beautiful grounds I have ever seen at resort. We ate at the Mexican next door and the dinner show. Mexican was good. Dinner show was too long and not fantastic. The entertainment and bar area at night weren’t bad but it was VERY far from Generations. El Dorado is so immensely large you need a golf cart to get anywhere, and sometimes you have to wait quite a while to find one that is available.

The beach, as others have said, is impossible. How heartbreaking to come to the ocean but not be able to enjoy it. But we knew that coming in.

The best part of this hotel was the wait staff and bar staff. The entertainment staff were all very good and appeared to really enjoy their jobs. Such amazing, genuinely lovely people – all of them. I could honestly praise them all day long. It’s a shame that management only took notice of us when we found something as shocking a mouldy food, but better late than never to try to make things right. I guess.

We won’t return to this resort. I'm sure our entire perception was coloured by the poor service at the start, but the mouldy food really was the straw that broke the camel's back. We love Mexico and the Mayan Riviera. But if you want a gourmet, all inclusive, luxury vacation – go to the Iberostar. The Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica remains the epitome of class and luxury to us, and Generations should look to them as an example.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Remember to tip your maids...they work hard. You may want to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Beautiful resort. Immaculate. Staff so genuinely polite and accomodating, especially Humberto in the breakfast restaurant and Maria (beach Waitress).Delicious food. Plenty of activities on offer. Spa treatments were excellent. A huge thankyou to everyone at the Generations for making our stay a relaxing and memorable one.
Room 19521 and 19581 22.4.14 to 29.4.14

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure hosting your recent vacations to the Riviera Maya. We look forward to seeing you again at Generations Riviera Maya.

west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Currently staying here for 8 nts the hotel is totally amazing as are the staff, we have a while to go yet before we leave but must say a big thank you to Andres and Raul for making us so welcome, at the moment the hotel is really quiet which we love, no need to get out early and bag a bed, ate at Jade last nt and had an amazing meal all piping hot, when the beach is finished it will be a very popular resort, cant believe how luxurious the rooms are we wont want to leave, well done Alejandro from room 20071

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear boeing747,

Thank you for this quick review, I will be contacting you so that we can have a better conversation in person.

Regards,

Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Not much to complain about here. Jade restaurant is amazing. Haab on the other hand was disappointing as it took over 45 minutes to get our main meal and didn't even order desert. Service was horrible. Had to ask for our coffee 3x and silverware and refills. There is a butler outside the rooms which is nice to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. Allen and Ruth are the best! Small bugs in the rooms.. Rooms are beautiful.. we had a swim up room with the swim up bar right outside our patio. The views are great. We were supposed to stay at El Dorado Royale but wanted to upgrade our room as they didn't have any swim ups available there they moved us over to Generations and gave us $500 resort credit which was nice. We ended up using that at the Naay Spa on 80 minute deep tissue massages. Also got free Wifi along with the credit. Loved being able to go and eat and do different things thruout all 3 resorts that are connected. Very handy having a shuttle to be able to take you to and from different areas in the resort and the staff are all very helpful! This is a must go and I will return here!

Room Tip: We had a swim up room which was convenient to swim to the bar grab a drink and head down to the beac...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Linsey M,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Generations Riviera Maya, it was our pleasure hosting your holidays. Thank you as well for your feedback, I will make sure to share your comments with our Food &Beverage Manager to make improvements in Habb's service.

Thank you once again and look forward to seeing you back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

This resort pays attention to everything and everyone! The rooms are beautiful and all have amazing views of both the ocean and pool. The beds are so comfortable! The whole staff from the groundskeepers to house keepers, butlers and entertainment staff are amazing! Luiz and Kenney (Entertainment) Carlos and Angel (Wait staff) Urina and all of the butlers! The food was very good and plenty of it. The ability to eat at other properties Casitas and El Dorado was great. I loved all of the fresh fruit! The property has its own environment friendly greenhouse. The beach has beautiful soft ground coral Bermuda type sand. The property is building a reef for sea life to thrive. We also went scuba diving and one member received his PADI certification with El Torro who is the best teacher! We can not wait to return!

Room Tip: Some rooms have their own pool that overlook main level pool!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear 2begrateful,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and thank you for all your kind words. We absolutely look forward to seeing you again soon.

Hook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Due to the soft opening of this resort we actually asked to be moved from El Dorado Royale to Generations! We spent our second week here.
The room was amazing, and i like the way they show you around first to see if you like it. All rooms are faced toward the sea and it is spectacular. I like the fact that the swim up had its own sliding glass door which leads to the swim up area of the pool (this felt safer and more private).
A butler is stationed outside each block of rooms which is extremely handy and very nice when you go out/come in as you get a chance to chat.
The restaurants are lovely - especially Jade (Pan-Asian). Sushi and rice was beautiful. Breakfast in the ground floor restaurant is set out wonderfully and you get to see the view of that beach every morning!!
The beach itself had so many different species of fish - you don't even have to go that far to see them! I like the way they preserve the wildlife as much as they can.
Of course, at the moment it is a bit of a building site which is fine as they have a lot of work to do and it didn't really bother us too much. The mangroves are going to be awesome once they are done :)

There were a lot of tiny bugs everywhere, including the room! The pool bar did not have a great choice of drinks like the other sister resorts - probably due to the fact that it is not an adults-only resort. We appreciated the complimentary $500 to spend in the resort (because we originally paid for an adults-only).
We will be back as soon as they have finished building!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and beautiful individual pools on the balcony!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Amelia Y,

Thank you for this great review of your recent stay at Generations Riviera Maya, it is a pleasure to know you decided to move from El Dorado Royale and you had a pleasant stay with us.

We absolutely look forward to seeing you again.

Alejandro Lopez

Been to Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma? Share your experiences!