“Virgin and Pure” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Outdoors
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
“Virgin and Pure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I absolutely love this wonderful place. I haven't been to Mexico in a long time, but truly miss it very much. I love everything about it. I love the laid back atmosphere, the clean air, the reef and restaurants. And of course, I love the people. I've never seen so many friendly, smiley, open minded and down to earth people.

I always feel loved and welcome up here.

Osterville, Massachusetts
“Don't Get Ripped Off!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The beach is awesome. We were actually unimpressed by Playa del Carmen in general. The water seemed dirtier and definitely more cluttered than in Cancun. This beach was an exception, but it's a good 20 minutes south or so. They tried to rip me off though. I went there and the attendant said that we should donate 500 pesos per person. He was pushy. It was 4PM (they close at 5), and I told him that I was just checking it out in case I wanted to come back later. He said that I should give him the money. He asked me how much I would give and that he would write it down so I didn't pay the next day. I got frustrated and left. I came back the next day with the car jack's metal handle under my seat in case I needed to reason with the attendant. I told my wife to just stick a 50 (yes 50, not 500 for each of us, just 50) peso bill out the window and not say anything. This guy was totally different though. He thanked us for the donation and then explained that the money goes to keeping the beach clean. If you feel up for it, write the following on a piece of paper that you can give the gatekeeper if he tries to rip you off:

"[Today's date]

Gracias por su asistencia. Por informacion que recibe de la Municipalidad de Solaridad, no hay cobro ninguno para entrar. Por favor deme su nombre para que pueda comunicarme con la ciudad de Tulum para aclarar esta situacion.

Nombre:
"
This reads:

"[Today's date]

Thank you for your help. From information I received via the Solidarity County, there is no charge to enter. Please give your name that I may communicate with the city of Tulum to clarify this issue.

Name:"

Bring a cooler and an umbrella though. There is NOTHING at this beach which is exactly why I liked it.

Also, do NOT park beneath a coconut tree. Yep, shattered window and coconut juice greeted me at the end of the day.

Visited January 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Pristine Natural Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed with friends in the village of Chan Chemuyil, which is directly across the highway and a brief 10 minute walk.

This beach is great, clean, quiet and well patrolled by the local constables.

Do note that there can often be dangerous riptides to the northern end of the beach.

Well worth the visit and 50 peso "donation"

calgary, alberta
22 attraction reviews
“Amazing Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had read about this beach and was so glad we were able to find it! It is just south of Chemuyil turn-off and there is no signage. We missed the turnoff coming from Tulum so we took the exit to Chemuyil to turn around.
They ask for a donation to help maintain the area and then open the gate to let you pass. There is plenty of parking and clean washrooms and an outdoor shower. The beach is truly amazing and very, very quiet. There were a few families that came in the afternoon but for the morning, it was just my hubby and I and one other couple. It was a windy day the day that we went so there were waves to jump in and ride. We also snorkelled here and saw 3 huge manta rays. It was cool to follow them around and not be bumping in to other snorkelers like in Akumal.
We went to the cenote in the afternoon and it was deserted. It is tiny and crystal clear. The fish in there like to nibble on your back and when the bigger ones nibble, it kinda hurts. I wasn't keen on this nibbling so I didn't stay in very long. All in all, it was great day and I would go back to this beach in a heartbeat; I would skip the cenote though.