“Heaven!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club

Save Saved
You added Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club to your Saves list
Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club
4.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   KM 95, Carretera Cancun Tulum | Kantenah, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Lansing, Michigan
“Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great resort. Had a great time last week! Thanks for Esperanza, Alberto, Angel, Ruben and America! The staff is what makes this great. Food was great and all the drinks are top shelf! The weather cooperated nicely. Because the resort is so intimate, the staff gets to know you personally and really remember all the things you like. Miguel, the GM, has assembled a great staff. Getting to know the fellow guests is great. Feels a lot cozier than some of the larger resorts. This was our second visit and can't wait until our next one.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are the best!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

From the bellmans "Welcome Home" upon our arrival. HBR was truly an incredible experience. My partner was concerned about going to a clothing optional resort – she had a great time. Every aspect was executed to perfection. Lots of restaurant choices - with the large resort next door, the food on the property was great as well. I can't speak highly enough of the place.

The spa was amazing - Incredible decor, state of the art facilities, and very well trained staff. It's outside the Clothing Optional area, but the Spa is Clothing Optional on Sunday evenings.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was our 8th time to Hidden Beach and it is as perfect as one can want. Service is top notch and the staff is totally into pleasing the guests. The volleyball is fun; hot tubs are great and the ocean/beach views are awesome. We like this resort because most of the people are in our age group (age 40 and above) and the music, entertainment and pace is just what we like. Plan to go again in March.

Room Tip: We like Building 11.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is our 3rd time at this resort and it gets better every year. The staff, the amenities, the gourmet cuisine, etc. is by far the best we've ever seen. Will definitely keep returning to Hidden Beach.

Monrovia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at Hidden Beach Resort (HBR); the 1st time with one other couple; this time with 3 other couples. We have been vacationing in the Cancun Resort area and Riviera Maya area since 1980; and we have stayed at many different resorts. We have always had an enjoyable time with many guests at HBR. The service by staff at HBR enjoys an exceptional reputation for being courteous, personable, and efficient. --- Especially Angelo ensuring top-notch service in the HBR restaurant, Esperanza serving drinks poolside, Luna and Ruben directing fun poolside activities. Always ask for them. Our room was spacious, always clean, with TV, and with a modern shower and Jacuzzi overlooking the sea. Bar staff provided virtually an unlimited variety of drinks. The Kenny G sound-alike jazz saxophonist at the special dinner/entertainment night was an outstanding musician. A must return for the guests. A good variety and quality of restaurants is available. --- Mexican, Asian, Italian, and American (pizza varieties and hamburger specialties). The reception personnel and resort managers were welcoming and responsive. We were impressed by the picturesque and well-maintained landscaping for a tropical vacation. With out a doubt, we will return.

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the second level. Never any problem. Always a great seaside view.
Dallas, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have just came back from the first trip to the hidden beach resort. Everything was just great. Oour room was clean, the food was very good (we ate once at the property next door), the other guests were nice and friendly. The surroundings are very private with lots of trees and wonderful view of an ocean. The biggest positive was probably the staff - nice, friendly and helpful. Thank you to Marco, America, Angel, Galdino, Camilla and everyone else.

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I chose Hidden Beach because it was a place my late wife and I really wanted to visit when she got better. Well sadly she didn't get better, and so I went as a memorial to her and to try and move forward (the week I spent there was the 1st anniversay of her passing).
From the moment I walked through the big wooden door, I was made to feel special, and that anything I wanted was possible.
My room was very comfortable and roomy with all the high end ammeities one would expect. Everything worked without issue including the jacuzzi in the corner. I'm not sure it would accommodate two, however, it would be fun to try. The bar was impressive. The shelf brands were all top notch, but I'm sure I could have ordered my favorites if I felt it important. And funny enough there was way too much beer in the small fridge. Again I'm sure I could have requested something different such as some cans of juices, or tonic water, but again it was my decision to leave well enough alone.
If I were designing the hotel buildings, I would have made sure all room above the first floor would have a small balcony. That was the ONLY disappointment I had from a room standpoint, but certainly not a big issue.
The food was incredible. Breakfast was pretty much the 'standard' resort fare, although all very good and pesented beautifully. A highlight for me was ordering eggs benedict and watching the cook very professionally prepare the Hollandaise Sauce by hand. For lunch, you have the menu option, or the pool side grill. Unlike many resort 'grills', this one was a full cooking line. Three or four grilled proteins, exotic salads, and a buffet line with a wide array of selections. And trust me it certainly wasn't the typical mushy buffet food. Lastly dinner was always a treat. It was always menu service, a very varied range of offerings, and would include a menu to match the theme night venue. I'm a big fan of grouper, and it was the first restaurant dinner I had, and it melted in my mouth. The filet of beef was excellent as well. I also did room service while there; once for breakfast, once dinner (my first meal). Breakfast was wonderful; I had my first lobster omelet. Talk about indulgence. My dinner was good, I just didn't understand that it was all ala carte. So when my delicious burrito appeared, that's all there was. Now I could have ordered more since room service is 247, but it was my first day, and with travel time, I was tired.
Long story short, I couldn't find any shortcomings in the dining exerience.
The resort is a 'green' property. Constantly being cleaned, trimmed, transplanted. Apparently a hurricane had hit a couple of years ago, and had devastated many of the coconut palms. The resort chose to use coconuts off of what trees were left, and created 'mini' palm farms. They lined the walk ways with young palms growing out of the nuts. Whenever they needed a fresh tree, they would take one from the walkways and plant it elsewhere, then replace the used one with a new one. Everything is cleaned constantly, the buildings, walkways, and especially the beach.
The beach insofar as covering is concerned, is quite nice. The surf is a bit rough and consequently a lot of flotsam/jetsam washes up on shore. The staff is constantly cleaning this up so it is seldom an eyesore. The water area is both rough, and rocky. I would not venture out into the water without beach shoes, and even then I would be cautious (I still have a splinter of coral in my foot).
I did not experience the entertainment. Wasn't sure, given my situation, if I was ready for much in the way of social interacting
And now for the au naturel part of the review. My wife and I cut our teeth on the au naturel life style at a couple of other resorts, and so I was not terribly uncomfortable with the prospect. My only concern was how far did the nudity concept. The website could be somewhat ambiguous, and a conversation I had with my travel company yielded the same result. So here's my take on the whole thing. With very little exception, everyone is clothes free on the beach, by the pool, and at the hot tubs. Meals are a bit of a personal preference. Breakfast and lunch are probably 99.9% nude. Dinner is where the ambiguity came into play. My personal solution was to wear my bathrobe (provided by the resort) down to dinner. If several people showed up clothed, I would simply leave my robe closed out of respect (although there would be other people nude so again personal preference). If the 'audience' was mostly nude, I would disrobe and be comfortable.
STAFF. Ok besides the uniqueness of the au naturel experience, what stands this resort apart from just about every other resort I have visited in Mexico/Caribbean (13+ to date) is the STAFF.
First not once did any of the staff ever make me feel uncomfortable while in my birthday suit. More importantly, after a mere hour or two, they knew your name and after that another day they will know your preferences in food, booze, water, colas. Not only brands/types but even WHEN you prefer them. For having only one dedicated bar, the service was never very delayed. The only minor exception was the beach service. BUT they had one very delightful woman providing service to the entire beach, the pool, the hot tub, and God know's what other areas, so if my glass of Sauvignon Blanc didn't come for a bit, so what. The time delay was never more than 45 minutes. Housekeeping was efficient and thorough. And the reception/front desk staff are warm, thoughtful, and very professional. I'm not sure where they hire the staff from, or what criteria they use, but it works.
Long story short (too late). When I got home, I immediately started planning my next trip to Hidden Beach (a short one, but a few days in Eden are better than none). I could (and just might) make this my permanent winter spot. I know I would not be disappointed.
Keep up the great work Hidden Beach.
Thanks,
Dave Mount

Room Tip: Rooms in building 2 are quieter being on the opposite side from the 'entertainment area'. I...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club? Share your experiences!