“Hidden Beach Resort - First class all the way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club

Save Saved
You added Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club to your Saves list
Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club
4.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   KM 95, Carretera Cancun Tulum | Kantenah, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Toronto, Canada
“Hidden Beach Resort - First class all the way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is our 3rd time at this resort and it gets better every year. The staff, the amenities, the gourmet cuisine, etc. is by far the best we've ever seen. Will definitely keep returning to Hidden Beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Monrovia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at Hidden Beach Resort (HBR); the 1st time with one other couple; this time with 3 other couples. We have been vacationing in the Cancun Resort area and Riviera Maya area since 1980; and we have stayed at many different resorts. We have always had an enjoyable time with many guests at HBR. The service by staff at HBR enjoys an exceptional reputation for being courteous, personable, and efficient. --- Especially Angelo ensuring top-notch service in the HBR restaurant, Esperanza serving drinks poolside, Luna and Ruben directing fun poolside activities. Always ask for them. Our room was spacious, always clean, with TV, and with a modern shower and Jacuzzi overlooking the sea. Bar staff provided virtually an unlimited variety of drinks. The Kenny G sound-alike jazz saxophonist at the special dinner/entertainment night was an outstanding musician. A must return for the guests. A good variety and quality of restaurants is available. --- Mexican, Asian, Italian, and American (pizza varieties and hamburger specialties). The reception personnel and resort managers were welcoming and responsive. We were impressed by the picturesque and well-maintained landscaping for a tropical vacation. With out a doubt, we will return.

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the second level. Never any problem. Always a great seaside view.
Dallas, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have just came back from the first trip to the hidden beach resort. Everything was just great. Oour room was clean, the food was very good (we ate once at the property next door), the other guests were nice and friendly. The surroundings are very private with lots of trees and wonderful view of an ocean. The biggest positive was probably the staff - nice, friendly and helpful. Thank you to Marco, America, Angel, Galdino, Camilla and everyone else.

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I chose Hidden Beach because it was a place my late wife and I really wanted to visit when she got better. Well sadly she didn't get better, and so I went as a memorial to her and to try and move forward (the week I spent there was the 1st anniversay of her passing).
From the moment I walked through the big wooden door, I was made to feel special, and that anything I wanted was possible.
My room was very comfortable and roomy with all the high end ammeities one would expect. Everything worked without issue including the jacuzzi in the corner. I'm not sure it would accommodate two, however, it would be fun to try. The bar was impressive. The shelf brands were all top notch, but I'm sure I could have ordered my favorites if I felt it important. And funny enough there was way too much beer in the small fridge. Again I'm sure I could have requested something different such as some cans of juices, or tonic water, but again it was my decision to leave well enough alone.
If I were designing the hotel buildings, I would have made sure all room above the first floor would have a small balcony. That was the ONLY disappointment I had from a room standpoint, but certainly not a big issue.
The food was incredible. Breakfast was pretty much the 'standard' resort fare, although all very good and pesented beautifully. A highlight for me was ordering eggs benedict and watching the cook very professionally prepare the Hollandaise Sauce by hand. For lunch, you have the menu option, or the pool side grill. Unlike many resort 'grills', this one was a full cooking line. Three or four grilled proteins, exotic salads, and a buffet line with a wide array of selections. And trust me it certainly wasn't the typical mushy buffet food. Lastly dinner was always a treat. It was always menu service, a very varied range of offerings, and would include a menu to match the theme night venue. I'm a big fan of grouper, and it was the first restaurant dinner I had, and it melted in my mouth. The filet of beef was excellent as well. I also did room service while there; once for breakfast, once dinner (my first meal). Breakfast was wonderful; I had my first lobster omelet. Talk about indulgence. My dinner was good, I just didn't understand that it was all ala carte. So when my delicious burrito appeared, that's all there was. Now I could have ordered more since room service is 247, but it was my first day, and with travel time, I was tired.
Long story short, I couldn't find any shortcomings in the dining exerience.
The resort is a 'green' property. Constantly being cleaned, trimmed, transplanted. Apparently a hurricane had hit a couple of years ago, and had devastated many of the coconut palms. The resort chose to use coconuts off of what trees were left, and created 'mini' palm farms. They lined the walk ways with young palms growing out of the nuts. Whenever they needed a fresh tree, they would take one from the walkways and plant it elsewhere, then replace the used one with a new one. Everything is cleaned constantly, the buildings, walkways, and especially the beach.
The beach insofar as covering is concerned, is quite nice. The surf is a bit rough and consequently a lot of flotsam/jetsam washes up on shore. The staff is constantly cleaning this up so it is seldom an eyesore. The water area is both rough, and rocky. I would not venture out into the water without beach shoes, and even then I would be cautious (I still have a splinter of coral in my foot).
I did not experience the entertainment. Wasn't sure, given my situation, if I was ready for much in the way of social interacting
And now for the au naturel part of the review. My wife and I cut our teeth on the au naturel life style at a couple of other resorts, and so I was not terribly uncomfortable with the prospect. My only concern was how far did the nudity concept. The website could be somewhat ambiguous, and a conversation I had with my travel company yielded the same result. So here's my take on the whole thing. With very little exception, everyone is clothes free on the beach, by the pool, and at the hot tubs. Meals are a bit of a personal preference. Breakfast and lunch are probably 99.9% nude. Dinner is where the ambiguity came into play. My personal solution was to wear my bathrobe (provided by the resort) down to dinner. If several people showed up clothed, I would simply leave my robe closed out of respect (although there would be other people nude so again personal preference). If the 'audience' was mostly nude, I would disrobe and be comfortable.
STAFF. Ok besides the uniqueness of the au naturel experience, what stands this resort apart from just about every other resort I have visited in Mexico/Caribbean (13+ to date) is the STAFF.
First not once did any of the staff ever make me feel uncomfortable while in my birthday suit. More importantly, after a mere hour or two, they knew your name and after that another day they will know your preferences in food, booze, water, colas. Not only brands/types but even WHEN you prefer them. For having only one dedicated bar, the service was never very delayed. The only minor exception was the beach service. BUT they had one very delightful woman providing service to the entire beach, the pool, the hot tub, and God know's what other areas, so if my glass of Sauvignon Blanc didn't come for a bit, so what. The time delay was never more than 45 minutes. Housekeeping was efficient and thorough. And the reception/front desk staff are warm, thoughtful, and very professional. I'm not sure where they hire the staff from, or what criteria they use, but it works.
Long story short (too late). When I got home, I immediately started planning my next trip to Hidden Beach (a short one, but a few days in Eden are better than none). I could (and just might) make this my permanent winter spot. I know I would not be disappointed.
Keep up the great work Hidden Beach.
Thanks,
Dave Mount

Room Tip: Rooms in building 2 are quieter being on the opposite side from the 'entertainment area'. I...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was my wife and my first visit to a clothing optional resort. We were impressed. The biggest positives were: 1) the incredible staff - super friendly, helpful, and sweet, 2) the pool and beach area was great, even though you can't easily swim in the ocean right in front as it is rocky, and 3) probably the most unexpected positive was how friendly and social most of the guests were. Nearly everyone talked to each other, which is unusual at a resort in our experience. We figured it was that we all shared the uncommon bond of enjoying a vacation in the nude.

At the beginning of our trip, we were a little surprised that most of the guests were older people, but a few days later, the crowd had changed into mostly 40-55 year olds. There was only one couple that I would say was under 30. We are 49/50 and would have preferred more younger people, but it was fine.

There was an effort by the staff to have nightlife every night (DJ, body painting, etc), but there were few takers - we mostly read in the evenings. This is not a "party atmosphere" type of a place, but it was a lot of fun. This is also not a sexually oriented place, as the Hidden Beach website says. One couple we talked to said they came here because they were tired of the overt sex going on at places like Hedonism in Jamaica - this was not like that at all.

A big plus is being able to dine at the sister property (the dark side) at any of their restaurants, all included, even though you have to put your clothes on. The food everywhere is good, but not fabulous. No biggie - it was fine. The iguana seemed very happy with the treat I gave him.

The Naay Spa which serves both Hidden Beach and the sister property is quite fancy and fun with lots of different water treatments. While it is co-ed, they do not allow nudity except for 3 hours one evening a week. That is unfortunate, as I don't see any reason a spa should not be clothing optional as a rule, especially when it is connected to a clothing optional resort. I tried to go nude, and they about had a heart attack over it. I would like to see management change that policy.

Overall, Hidden Beach was a lot of fun and we thought it was well worth it.

Room Tip: I saw several reviews before we went about requesting to be away from the nightlife and the hot tub...
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We just returned from the Riviera Maya for the seventh time. We went to Seaside Suites for the third time and decided after we arrived to switch to Hidden Beach. Long story short, this was the best vacation we have ever taken. It only took 5 minutes to get over any anxiety of being nude in front of others. We found the other guests; beginners like us as well as the veterans to be the friendliest and welcoming of any people we have ever met at any all-inclusive resort. At the other resorts, it is pretty much limited to "ola" and at Hidden Beach you strike up a meaningful conversation and really find interesting things to talk about. The food was excellent in quality and variety. The staff was more attentive than we have previously experienced. Maybe because the resort is smaller but just the same, we felt like we were catered to on a much higher level. We have always spent a lot of time deciding where to vacation but we have that problem solved. We will return to Hidden Beach every chance we get from here on out.....We also like our "all over" tans.....

Room Tip: Definitely get a first floor room....You will know why when you get there.
Troy, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is very relaxing. You will love it if you got a very good deal on the hotel price. If you paid close to full price you will feel like you paid more for it than you should have. This is a place you go to relax. there is no nightlife here. they have a disco and play music but hardly anyone is dancing. After 10pm the place is pretty much dead. We were the youngest at the resort. we are in our late 30's. Most of the people are in the mid 40's-70 range. This was fine. everyone at the resort is very friendly.They have only one restaraunt. The food is very good but service is very very slow. If you are expecting buffets you will be disappointed. You get a mini buffet style breakfast with made to order eggs. In the afternoon they somtimes have by the pool a mini lunch buffet. It is nothing like the buffets in Jamiaca or on a cruise. They aslo don't serve food all the time. I wanted to eat a buger and fries at 4:30pm but was not able to get one made b/c they were going to serve dinner in one hour and were prepping for that. this annoyed me. luckily i had some snacks in my room i could eat to hold me over until dinner. The added bonus is that you get to go next door to El Dorado to get food which is a ++. Again, next door is the same, only restaraunts no buffets. the food is also good next door. Service is great. Staff is wonderful. Rooms are really nice. The swim up rooms or balcony are probably better. we had an upper room without a balcony. It was still nice. The hotel is about an hour and 15 minutes from the airport. We did not hear about any timeshare/vacation week solicitations but that is b/c i stopped them before they had a chance too. I speak spanish fluently so that is a plus for me. I would return to this hotel again but only if i can get the groupon deal again. I don't think it is worth the rack price per night.

Room Tip: swim up or balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club? Share your experiences!