“Great resort but. . .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club

You added Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club to your Saves list
Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club
4.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   KM 95, Carretera Cancun Tulum | Kantenah, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
MN
“Great resort but. . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Fabulous resort with the friendliest guests. Maybe it's because no one has anything to hide. We returned from Hidden Beach with no tan lines and very relaxed. The service staff at the resort was undeniably the best I have ever seen. By the second day they knew your name and what your favorite beverage was.
I have only one complaint. We booked through RCI with a discounted rate and pre-paid the AI fee in full with the agreement that we would receive the discount when we checked in at the hotel. Excuses were made that I had paid the full amount and I should have paid only 2 nights. There was no communication between the resort in Mexico (Exotic Travelers Club) and the payment company in Florida. I made several visits to the concierge and was told that the paperwork was in process and all documentation had to be in place before the credit would be given. By Friday nothing had been done. Monday morning, before we left at noon, Mauricio assured us that all the documents were in place and the credit would be given by Tuesday. It is now a week since we have been back home and I have not seen the credit.
The weather was great, the guests were great and we did not leave the resort except to walk to the "dark side" to look around. The food was fabulous and the service was exquisite. I would like to come back again but next time make reservations through the resort.

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the 1200 side. The 1100 side is a bit noisy with the DJ some nights.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments of your recent stay at the hidden Beach Resort, I truly appreciate your comments and glad that you had a very relaxing vacation.

I am sorry to hear about your issues that you have experienced with the payment of your all inclusive, please do not hesitate to contact us as customerservices@karismamexico.com if you would like assist to resolve any outstanding issues.

we hope that you will return once again, where I will ensure that we exceed all expectations!

Best Regards

Paula Negrete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Neptune City, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our third visit to HBR and it was the best yet. First thing in the morning Ancieto made sure we had coffee on the deck of our swim up suite. Carlos also brought coffee when Ancieto was off. Manuel our concierge/activities director/friend is one of the best. Jesus, Angel, Porfino, Alex, Esperanza and the rest of the staff are top notch. Carlos at the pool and David at the moonlight palapa are the best, always ready with a drink and a smile. Danny was wonderful also. The nude cruise should not be missed by anyone, you will have a great time. The ocean front massages were fantastic and the management went out of their way to reserve a separate time at the spa for the exclusive au naturel use of HBR guests. The food gets better each visit. Even Stephanie, the activities director from last year, came to visit the group while we were there. Thanks for the best visit yet and we cant wait till 09/13 for our fourth trip to HBR. We cant wait to "come home again".

Room Tip: The swim up suites are worth the extra cost for the convenience. Being able to walk in and out of y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to, once again, host your holiday and I'm glad to hear that this visit was the best to date! As many of our guests choose to return year upon year , we are constantly making improvements and additions in order to wow our loyal guests .

I have passed your comments to all staff that were mentioned in your review and they were very pleased to receive a mention for their efforts.

we are looking forward to your 4th visit !

Best Regards

Paula Negrete
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It has been a week since we left Hidden Beach and not a minute goes by where I can stop thinking of the wonderful time we had there. We have never had an Au Naturel experience before and if this is your first time I can not recommend enough that this be your first experience. Where to begin...?

Like many reviews before mine state: the staff are amazing!! Within a day or two everyone knew our names. It is a smaller resort (which we love) so it is very personal. Esperanza, who found us on the far end of the beach one morning, was so warm and pleasant. My fiancee was feeling a little 'under the weather' that day and she pleasantly brought him the agua he requested. She brought him an orange juice (even though he didn't ask for it) that definitely helped with his '24 hour' flu. She also has a great sense of humour. Carlos and Juan are great bartenders very fun and full of conversation. Angel, Jesus, Galdino, the chefs, everyone! I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff at Hidden Beach Resort.

Manuel our concierge was a fantastic man. He made us feel right at home right away. Always willing to help you with whatever it is you need. Danny-Boy was the uber exuberant activities coordinator. He has an excellent sense of humour and is great at getting everybody up and doing something. Pool volley-ball was always a hilarious time.

Room was amazing. Really open with a huge comfortable bed. Jacuzzi by the window was very nice. We had a partial ocean view (although I think all suites are...?), which was magical. The very piece of ocean that we could see was where the sun would rise every morning. The housekeeping was very nice and discreet. Always greeted by a beautiful 'towel animal'. 24-hour room service was very helpful and pleasant (no matter what time of day it was).

Beach is a little bit coarser but it didn't bother us at all. It was quiet (although it is attached to El Dorado Seaside Suites there are no resorts on either side for miles! ). Lots of beach beds, there was always some available, no need for 'reserving' them.

The guests were AWESOME! Instantly we felt welcomed and comfortable. It took me a day or two to be comfortable with going Au Naturel and I never felt forced or intimidated to do so. In fact, after many hilarious conversations and activities, you completely forget that everyone is in the nude! We are very fortunate to meet all the wonderful people we did that week and really hope to cross paths with them again. (Possibly next year..?)

HIGHLY recommend the Nude Cruise! I have never laughed so consistently for that long in my life before. Even though the weather wasn't top notch that day (cloudy and rainy) we all had a blast. Full of dancing, snacks, drinks, and snorkeling. A wonderful private lunch on Maroma beach was a memory i'll never forget (neither will the 'clothed' passer-byers).

The day we got home I started planning our next trip. Our honeymoon might take place here, a thought I am very excited about. I really cannot stop talking about Hidden Beach Resort and I apologize for the novel of a review.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

First off, I'd like to apologize for taking so long to write this review as I said I was going to write a one right away when I got back. We came here during the sandy super storm and were pretty busy putting our lives back together when we got back home.
My wife and I are rookies at the au natural experience. This is our second au natural resort experience(Couples San Souci, the first). Compared to the first, this is truly, and not partially, an au natural resort. There are pretty much no exceptions of where you can go bare[--] naked, just as long as you stay within the resort that is. We began our day with a naked breakfast and ended it with a naked dinner(mostly, unless cold) and everything else in between was naked as well. Lets just say, maybe the next time we go, we'll finally learn to pack right, lite, real lite.
As with most all the other reviews here, we whole heartedly agree that the staff here are amazingly friendly and will go out of their way to satisfy your needs. There is not one person here I have found a flaw with. The exception is when we had our lobster dinner at the "dark side". The waiter, though was quick to serve our requests for drinks and extra bread, was fidgety, and whistled some tune to himself the whole time he was there. We kinda stopped conversing everytime he got close from his whistling interuptions. We got the feeling he acted weird because he knew we came from the "nude" side. That said, there were no complaints for the staff members of HBR, if anything, they were exemplary!
As for the guests, they were like us, the friendliest people you could meet anywhere. We are truly a different species! Within a few hours, we felt like we'd known the people there as old friends. If you are going for the first time and would like to get to know people fast! I recommend the "Mexican volley ball", played in the pool. It was the most fun I had playing anything on vacation. Lets just say the rules are very different. when you go there, just ask what rule number 8 is. I won't tell you what it is, you'll learn when you play the game. Right Danny Boy?
The beach, well, I have to admit wasn't the best as the sand is not the finest and the waters were shallow. But, if you did go in the ocean, (in water shoes) and fed the fish and looked under some rocks, you'd be amazed how much variety of beautiful and unusual creatures you could find. I found so many creatures I wanted to offer to use what I found to do a "makeover" for the fish tank they had on the dark side. I would've have been amazing.
Lastly, at the end of our trip, we found out that our airports were closed for 2 days due to the second storm after Sandy. Sergio, and Oscar was very helpful and even gave us a discount on our extended stay.
We will definity be back and I'm sure everyone there will still remember our names.
All in all, this is one of the best vacation we've been to.
Signing out...P&Y

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We live in Playa during the winters. It is advantageous for us to buy day passes 10 at a time. Our last visit was a very pleasant surprise. The new chef has made a drastic improvement in the food. If you thought it was good before be prepared for great!
Another pleasant surprise, the pool heater is working. Totally comfortable early in the morning and later on in the afternoon when the sun moves away.

Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

It had been three years since we were last at Hidden Beach and that was way too long. There are just so many wonderful aspects to this resort.
- First on anybody's list is the staff. They are warm, welcoming, always happy to please. Life is "excellente" when you have Jesus, Aniceto, Esperanza, Angel, Carlos, Galdino, etc. looking after you.
- The renovations have transformed Hidden Beach Resort into a true resort. The most notable changes were in the guest room bathrooms, which are laid out much better.
- They have gone "all in" on the Gourmet Inclusive. We went over to "the dark side" (El Dorado Seaside Suites) for a few dinners and none was near the fantastic food that our chefs prepared. Perhaps it is because they are cooking for a smaller audience, but the quality of the food and service is wonderful. The only "ding" we would give is that we would love to see a more varied dessert selection.
We came here to get away and enjoy a honeymoon. What we had was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable trips in the past several years. Thank you Oscar, Manuel and the whole team at HBR and Exotics.
C & N

Room Tip: If you can get one, I suggest springing for a swim up suite. They are so convenient.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just returned from perhaps our best au-natural holiday yet. We've been to Hidden Beach about 9 times. Each time it get's better. I've sold discounted travel to au-natural resorts for several years and Hidden Beach has become the standard for rating all clothing optional resorts.

The first thing I want to mention is the fact that the pool is now heated. Yes, finally, it is heated! The temperature was comfortable and afforded everyone the opportunity to spend the day in the water - if you so choose.

Returning to HBR means seeing the same staff that has been there year after year. Rarely does staff leave, so when you arrive everyone welcomes you back. Service is always excellent and the staff greets you by your name and remembers what you drink and your dining preferences. The rooms are absolutely immaculate. Something very important to us. And, every day we got a new towel sculpture on our bed.

Hidden Beach is an all-inclusive resort. That said, the reader should know that the staff very much appreciates tips. The quality of the service will not change one iota if you don't tip, but these people are extraordinary. When you receive good service I recommend you tip - either a couple of dollars along the way, or more as you approach the end of your stay. We always keep a list of the people who have served us (to not miss anyone) and then tip towards the end. (It's best to hand the money to individual person - except for the chambermaid).

There are just 42 rooms, so one gets to speak to just about everyone - if you want. Or, you can keep to yourself. Either way it's fine. We were there on New Years and saw perhaps 15-20 couples we had seen before. This is a place people return to over and over. Notwithstanding, we met new people who were quickly assimilated into conversations with those we already knew. Newcomers never feel like outsiders.

Each year we find that there are improvements and enhancements. This year, as well as heating the pool, they added tables with umbrellas near the beach/pool barbeque.

Food is very good, although I must confess I preferred the old tri-fold menu that was used a couple of years ago with an entire lobster page, another page and the third page that changed each day. Wine this year was better than last year, but still needs improvement. Recommended is the Castillo de Carmen (white) and the Mercedes (red) as the better of the wines. Champagne is available at all times and is fairly good. Liquor is truly top shelf and all the bartenders are skilled at remembering your preferences.

The disco is way to big for the 42 rooms. So, unless the resort is nearly full, it's somewhat like dancing in an gymnasium. A big gripe I have, as does nearly every couple who goes to the disco, is that the DJ is unresponsive to his audience. Yes he will play a requested song, but then continues on with the music he wants to hear. When requested to play certain genres of music he replies that he has to play a variety - even if everyone requests a certain genre. A possible solution might be for him to be required by management to query the guests every half hour to see what they want to hear. Also, he should note: if the guests are not dancing, they probably don't like the music being played.

The beach is very pretty with a lovely view, but access to the water is nearly impossible. The depth is just 1-2 feet for a long long ways into the water. And the bottom is so full of broken coral that you need water shoes to go in at all. It would be nice if the resort built a narrow dock/pier to get you out far enough to swim.

There are plenty of chairs both on the beach and around the pool for everyone. If the resort is full and you can't find a chair at the pool, just bring one from the beach. Also, there is plenty of shade if you want it. They've increased the number of umbrellas and strategically planted palms so that's never a problem.

For those who have not been there HBR is a purely comfortable au-natural experience. Absolutely no public sexual activities are permitted and the rules warn guests that any public behavior subjects the guest to expulsion. Each time we go we encounter at least a few couples who have never taken their clothes off in public and, without exception, they immediately feel comfortable. Never threatened and always relish the new-found sense of freedom.

Hidden Beach is a extraordinary resort. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. You won't be disappointed in whatever you get.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club? Share your experiences!