“First timers - exceeded all our expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club

You added Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club to your Saves list
Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club
4.5 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   KM 95, Carretera Cancun Tulum | Kantenah, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
New York City, New York
“First timers - exceeded all our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was our first visit to Mexico and a first to a au natural resort. I assume that for first timers, visiting a au natural resort requires a decent leap of faith, I felt that way, anyway.

The staff and service - were absolutely fantastic. friendly, funny, timely, just great. This is a relatively small resort, you quickly get to know everyone by name and the staff also remembers your name, favorite drink, food preferences, how you like your coffee... it makes a big difference.

The rooms, the grounds and the facilities - we originally booked an ocean view suite, the view from the room was beautiful, but it is on the 3rd floor and with the entrance at the back, which meant the you have to take quite a hike from the pool to the room, so we asked to upgrade to a swim up suite, which in our opinion was totally worth the difference. (we asked for a discount on the upgrade and received 20% immediately).
Regardless to the suite we were in, the rooms were very nice, updated equipment, fresh and very clean. The public bathrooms were spotless, as were all the paths, pools and bars.
The resort has two large hot tubs, but only one was hot, the other was kinda warm.

Entertainment - Every night there were some activities, dancing band, rock band, casino night, Mardi Gras party, etc... followed by DJ music for those who wanted to dance. The performances ranges from lame to excellent, I personally believe that the atmosphere in those parties can only be as good as the relationship between the guests and if they are willing to play along and participate. The Karaoke was fun, as was casino night, Mardi Gras was cheesy, the Caribbean dances and the rock band were fantastic.
My best entertainment was the tropical storm that hit us one night, there is no better way to meet your creator that standing naked and drunk on a beach in the middle of a massive thunderstorm, but it is also stupid, downright dangerous and highly un-recommended!

Food - The food is generally very good, whether you stay to eat in HBR, or go next door to El Dorado (part of the deal). One negatives here, my wife is vegetarian and options are quite limited no matter where you go. Portions are just right, speed and quality are very good. with HBR being such a small resort, there aren't many options at the local restaurant outside of meal hours. We ate at 3 of the neighboring restaurants, the Italian was excellent, but the Asian was disappointing for me, others loved it, I guess this depends on your sushi standards.

Being naked - if you are reading this and it is your first time, then you are probably attracted to the idea of going to a nude resort, but you are not sure how you would feel. Well... let me put it this way - it took me less than 30 minutes from freaking out walking through the gate to walking naked on the pool deck. I don't really know how to explain this, but the environment is just extremely comfortable, which leads me to my last point and that is the other guests, we met doctors, engineers, professors, lawyers, brokers, people in active duty and more... the environment in the resort is so intimate and friendly, you cannot pretend to be someone else when you are bare naked, and so everyone is open to new friendships and you are guaranteed to find new friends very quickly. For someone who's working in NYC for over a decade, falling into such an environment was very far from daily life and the number one reason for our decision to come back to HBR again next year.

Room Tip: Swim Up Suite worth the upgrade. ask for discount.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Stayed June 6-10, 2011

This was my first trip to Cancun and I took a friend for his birthday to Hidden Beach for the "Au Natural" experience. We both had been to Hedo separately, so this environment was not really new. However, for me I must admit I was a little nervous at the thought of wearing nothing all day long. I end up have such a great time! The resort was only about 35% full and everyone we met and socialized with were absolutely great and fun people to be around! I think we were the only couple that was there for the first time, everyone else had been coming for years.

The resort is kept immaculate at all times. The staff is just wonderful. Special shout out to Jesus, Omar, Juan, Esperanza and the concierge staff who made my friend's birthday a little extra special for him. They are so pleasant and attentive to your every need. The entire staff at the resort learns your name the first day and greets you by name each and every time they see you. Very impressive! I get the feeling this resort is for the more mature adults who come to drink and relax by the pool or beach and not the more wild and craze groups you sometimes find at Hedo. They cater to everyone and I think if the resort was full, it would have been a better nightlife going on while we were there. The resort has only 45 suites so it definitely has that intimate feel to it that I like. The rooms are great. Upon arrival, your room looks like a honeymoon suite, complete with a filled up jacuzzi bubble bath awaiting your enjoyment. Shower big enough for 4 and a great hot tub in the room! But watch out for that shower as it can change temperatures on you in a New York minute while showering. You also get a full bar in your room...not the plane size bottles. You also have full access to the Eldorado resort next door with more restaurants, bars, etc. (you have to be clothed).

My friend especially loved the nude cruise that you MUST do at least once while staying at Hidden Beach. It was really a fun experience and well worth it. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling too well that day so I didn't get to enjoy the full extent, but believe me when I tell you that you will have a absolutely wonderful time. Plenty of drinks, snorkeling, private catered lunch on the beach, more drinks...just plain fun for all! We will take another cruise when we return. You must also have a massage out by the beach. It was absolutely heaven! I can't remember the last time I slept so good. All in all, it was money well spent, my friend and I had a memorable time at Hidden Beach and I really enjoyed watching him have such a good time on the cruise. He really needed the vacation.

You need to experience Hidden Beach for yourself and just let your inhibitions go (mine did after seven tequilas..smile), relax and have fun.

Room Tip: Do the Nude cruise, get a swim-up pool room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This was our third trip to Hidden Beach, and while it is still a relaxing retreat from hectic lives, it is definitely changing as it attracts more and more people from other types of CO/AN resorts. Starting with the positives, the staff truly makes this place memorable. Jesus, Aniceto, Omar, Oscar, Carlos, Esperanza, Juan, and Sandra all contributed to helping us forget our everyday lives and concentrate on ourselves and the natural beauty of Mexico. Recent remodeling of the resort has provided guests with updated suites, luxury bathrooms, better air-conditioning, and true jacuzzi tubs. Also, the new gym is cooler, making for more tolerable workouts. The new bathrooms in the common areas are lovely, and the resort-wide WIFI is a welcome addition. There were some negatives, however most were minor. Running out of towels and wine glasses could be attributed to unfortunately having our stay overlap with that of a pre-planned large group. Even the absence of food standards such as guacamole, salad, and fresh veggies could be an effect of so many people being at the resort this time. However, there was one issue that concerned us the most. The resort has a written policy that all guests sign prohibiting the taking of photographs anywhere on resort property except in individual suites. Cameras are not to leave the rooms. After three couples had spent one morning taking pictures beachside, we approached hotel management to see if the policy was no longer being enforced. We were assured it was still policy. In fact, they seemed to take our concerns seriously, as they approached a couple later that day who were snapping pictures by the pool, asked them to have the pictures deleted, and reminded them of the signed policy. The very next afternoon, however, people were taking pictures pool side. Or, should I say, pictures were being taken of them with their cameras BY STAFF!!!! One of the main reasons we pick HB is the guarantee of privacy and comfort. I can only assume that these large groups that are used to standards set by other resorts provide too much income to HB for the resort to risk upsetting them, even with policies that these folks agree to beforehand. We will most likely return to HB, but it will definitely be with a watchful eye to see if this lovely place tries to maintain the rules that we so appreciate or if they begin to pattern themselves after some of the other Caribbean AN resorts, some of which are now closing.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Like a lot of you we have done both the GLB/Hedo and the HBR trips.

We loved GLB when we went a few years ago but alas when Air Jamaica stoped the red eye out of LAX getting to Jamaica turned into a nightmare from the west coast. We also enjoyed going to Hedo 3 for a few days but had heard it was getting very run down and had NO interest in Hedo 2 (just getting way too old!!).

In short HBR is wounderful!!! In the beginning they did have a lot of growing pains. You could always see what they wanted to do but they were never able to pull it all together. There were just a bunch of stupid little service issues all the time (cold/too hot Hot Tubs, Slow food service, room issues, Etc) However that all seems to be in the past. We just got back from spending 8 days there and it is wounderful. The upgrades they have done to the rooms are perfect. The beds have been lowered, bathrooms are perfect with a whirlpool tub in the room that we never seemed to use???, and the grounds are in great shape.

Just a couple of issues that people seem to have

* Security never seems to be an issue. We use the Lomas travel (Private Car) to move us from the airport to the resort and have used them for some offsite trips. I think like anyplace if you are off property doing the "Bar Crawl" and are looking for trouble you will find it. If you stay on property you will be safe.
* If you want someting just ask for it and they will find it. I love dark beer and they do not keep it normaly. I said something to one of the managers and POOF, there it was in my room!! If you want champane ask for it and you shall receive.
* Joining the "Time Share" does make sense if you are going to come on a regular basis. There deal is 50% off of the lowest retail rate and they do the airport transfers no charge.
* The beach does suck!!! Pool area is very nice, can be cold in the winter but they have installed a heater that seems to have taken care of the problem
* We normaly go in Feb and the weather is great, very much the same as you would see in Jamaica.
* To use the Nude side you must stay on the Nude Side. You can purchase day passes but the are $$$ from what I hear. The nude side can use all of the facilitys on the Dark Side.
* If you wanted to you can be nude all of the time. On this trip I went 5 days before I opend my suitcase (except for suntan lotion!!) The have some robes in the room for the evenings if it does get chilly at all.

One interesting rumor that was floating around the resort was that the managing company for HBR was going to see if they could "purchase" GLB in Jamaica....From what I could see that would be a positive thing.....They were also talking about taking the Nude side/Prude side concept to an existing property in Costa Rica (inland)

Hope this helps

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Disco
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was our 4th trip to Hidden Beach in the last 3 years and it was our best visit. The improvements made and being made there are fantastic.

We were told about the improvement plans when we joined Exotic in late 2008, but then nothing happened. We were starting to worry that the planned improvements were not going to happen. Now they have!! Rooms, pool deck, lighting, chairs, palapalas, landscaping etc etc are all so nice. The cleanliness of the resort is outstanding. Holding the evening shows on that edge of the canal near the dining area is a fantastic idea…it makes dinner even nicer.

The service people who take care of us are as great as always. They really are very impressive!! No other place we have been to even comes close. It was really good to see so many of them back at Hidden Beach after the remodel.

The only area that needs improving is the nightlife and the management briefed us on several ideas that they will be pursuing to make the music and dancing better. The entertainment is already pretty good.

Just a wonderful wonderful place!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed May 11th - 18th

From the moment we entered through the arched wooden doors of Hidden Beach Resort we knew that it was a special place. We can’t begin to describe how perfectly comfortable we felt here. Omar greeted us , showed us around and to our room. The panoramic 3rd floor ocean view was breathtaking. FYI if you require a balcony the swim up rooms have a very spacious patio much more suitable for lounging outside on your deck. Everything at this resort is relaxing and casual .Feel free to mingle or not ,dress fun for theme nights & dance in the disco if you wish, lay on a beach bed under the stars, take part in volleyball & games or simply relax on the beach .One things for sure you will not find judgment at this resort. There was soo much R&R for us it felt like double the stay. The service & food were fantastic. We have been fortunate enough to stay at many other Caribbean Resorts and for the first time the staff made such an impression that their names and faces are still very much present with us, they made us feel special and welcome. Smiles were everywhere you turned . So hats off to Omar, David, Carlos, Esparanza ( Barbie we enjoyed the water aerobics & bingo , so much fun!) Michel the entertainment director for the franchise was present often and payed special attention to making sure guests were happy and comfortable, he made us feel that our opinions really mattered. We are beach people and enjoyed the different scenery here, the waves crashing over the bags was a nice change and enjoyably soothing to watch. Note! Pack some water shoes as wading in the warm ocean water to feed the fish was unforgettable but can be a little hard on the feet. The guests were mixed in ages but all were refreshingly (honestly) friendly & fun. We were able to make some wonderful new friends and hope to encounter them upon a future visit . This resort it is truly a hidden gem. So cheers to soo many memories, such a delightful, uninhibited holiday.. You truly have to experience it to believe it .. What else can we say but we will return !!

G & S

Room Tip: Ocen view 3rd floor, balcony lounging swim up
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

First time at an au natural resort, had a fantastic week, we too are spoiled!

Excellent service, room, food, beverages, staff... hard to complain, the only recommendation I have is to work on the shower water temp--fluctuates often.

Small resort--42 rooms, but you can put on clothes and go next door to Seaside and enjoy snorkeling off the beach, and 5 great restaurants. We ate most of our meals at the HBR restaurant or the beach BBQ--excellent variety and quality!

Decent nightlife for a small resort--rock bands, DJ, karaoke, local dance shows, acrobats, magician, fire dancers, even a mechanical bull!

We made many friends--everyone was great! This is NOT Hedo or Desire, so if that's what you like, go there!

Never had a problem finding beach chairs or a day bed, unlike many other resorts we've been to... we don't get up early, so this was a big plus!

Don't miss the au natural cruise--the perfect day! Can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: Get a swim up room away from the nightclub!
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club? Share your experiences!