“Didnt' want to leave :(” 5 of 5 stars

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 45, Carretera Cancun-Tulum, 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 358 Hotels in Riviera Maya
Calgary, Canada
“Didnt' want to leave :(”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at El Dorado in May 2015 for 7 nights.
Wonderful vacation!!!
Rooms: the casita rooms have more space, a big very comfortable bed, nice sitting area and a dining area both inside and on your private balcony, along with a bed on the balcony. Huge walk in shower that we never used since we always used the outdoor shower. Wonderful idea!
Our concierge, Lily was just a gem. She was always very friendly and happy to see us any time and help with anything we needed. She was a pleasure to have around.
We stayed in the Casita 26 block. Great location in our opinion. It was quiet and secluded yet central enough to all restaurants to be able to walk.
Our bartender, Luis was also a pleasure. He was quick with the refills and always ready to serve. Great chatting with him and all the other people in the pool. (Stay at the casitas to have a more private pool! You really get to know your bartender and the other guests and there is always room. You don't have to fight for a chair or bed and you don't have to get up early to reserve it)
Entertainment: We did not make it to any shows. We heard they were great, but we decided that we can see that kind of stuff at home and chose instead to enjoy the beach, the gardens and the atmosphere.
Restuarants: They were all great in their own ways.
D'Italia was a bit slow in service and our server even got our orders wrong. The food we received was delicious, but not what we ordered. (Ex. I ordered the lobster lasagna because I heard it was amazing and I received lobster soup - more likely a language barrier thing than incompetence)
Santa Fe: The best!! This is the only one we went to twice. Love the family style serving and the food was all spectacular.
Fuentes Dinner Theatre: It was a nice experience, but only need to go once. Food was good, but you have no choice in what you eat. But neat to see how they prepare certain dishes.
Kampai: Fusion type dishes, all very tasty, but the restaurant needs some air conditioning. It was hotter in the restaurant than outside. We suffered through it because the food was delicious.
JoJos: Great little eating place on the beach. Nice views and great food.
Cocotal: Only ate here once for breakfast buffet. Very loud and busy. Preferred to order room service breakfast and eat on our private patio with the birds singing.
La Isla: At here for lunch one day. Again, great food but very loud next to the main pool. If you want to put up with all the partiers drinking and loud music, that is fine, but we wanted some quiet alone time. This restaurant was not for us.
But that was the great thing about this resort. There is something for everyone. If you want to party and have fun, you can. If you want some quiet alone time, you can. Love that about it!
Beach: A lot of people online complain about the beach. If they decided to go here, why didn't they do their research. They would have known that the beach was devastated by the hurricanes and they are trying to rebuild and fix them. The beach is just fine to enjoy. The view has a few concrete barriers in the water. No big deal. If you are strictly a beach person, just don't go here.
I can't speak about any excursions as we remained onsite the entire time. We had been to the excursion before from other trips to Mexico and did not see the need to go again.
I can't say enough good things about this resort. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously and got the exact vacation we wanted.
Great staff, beautiful grounds, delicious food, quiet rooms and warm weather - couldn't ask for anything more!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Casitas if you can. The rooms are bigger, more luxurious, better service and quieter...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This resort is just stunning! It is very well maintained and clean. The grounds are breathtaking! The food is excellent and there is so much choice, with the 12 restaurants! Wedding ceremony was memorable and staff were very helpful the big day!
My BFF stayed with her hubby in building 31 with the crazy swim up room and lazy river, the service from Ruben and Yankovic was awesome and they were both so sweet in dealing with 23 drunk people :)

A couple of things I should mention:
If you are a beach person (which I am) the beach is pretty crappy. It's narrow and has lots of seaweed and sand whales and pylons. However I did manage in all the 17 pools this resort has to offer!
Speaking of the pool; the water even though they all seemed to be salt water pools (which I loved) the temperature of them was beyond warm. It was boarder line hot tub temp. And when it's 37 degrees everyday it would have been nice to have a cooler experience.
Although- these are first world problems so don't sweat it! This place is great, the service is quick and the people are very nice! Please go, and enjoy!

Room Tip: Room close to the lobby, fast to get around on the golf carts, easier when leaving and also less noi...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Lenoir City, Tennessee

This was our twelved time to visit the El Dorado Royale. We joined Exotic
four years ago and have never doubted our invesment. The member service at the El Dorado is outstanding, the staff builds relationships with the guests and makes the trip feel like coming home. The food is excellent, the resort clear and well kept. We are treated like royalty on our vacation.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Casitas Royale in April 2015 and from start to finish it was the most amazing experience.

I could write all day about how wonderful everything was but will try and keep it short and sweet.

- Casita room was beautiful. We had an end of row Casita with a view of the ocean from the balcony. Room 2924. Amazing.

- Billy & Angel our personal concierges - great fun, made us feel special, really helpful.

- Food - OMG wow. We never had a bad meal. Santa Fe, Kampai and Cocotal breakfast display were highlights. If you are staying in Casitas would recommend utilising the booking facility as most nights we saw people queuing but as we pre-booked we never had an issue.

- Drinks - premium brands - huge thumbs up. Tried to make my way through the extensive cocktail list, didn't quite make it. Bartenders were fab in all bars we went to.

- service everywhere generally was amazing.

- Spa - definitely check out the water journey. Definitely an experience. Sky massage an ABSOLUTE MUST

There are concrete blocks in the ocean and an artificial reef. If a picturesque beach is a must for you perhaps look elsewhere but it would be a shame as you would miss out on an absolutely wonderful hotel. Honestly can't say enough good things about it. So good in fact that we are going back at Christmas, although sadly our budget doesn't stretch to a Casita so will be staying at the Royale. I would say if you can though do go ahead and upgrade to a Casita - 100% worth it.

If you have a trip booked here and are checking out some reviews - you will not be disappointed and will have an amazing, amazing wonderful fantastic time.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I just returned from an anniversary trip at El Dorado Casitas. First let me say that we booked through Hayley at Beach Bum Vacations. We have booked several trips with her and she has never led us wrong. Hayley and her husband visit all the resorts that they represent so they know all the details as opposed to agents who have never seen these places. And if a place isn't up to par they won't book you there. She also threw in some nice upgrades that other people around us didn't get. The resort was awesome. The service was great and the food was much better than any other all inclusive we have ever stayed at. We stayed in a swim up casista and I would highly recommend this. We were in the 29 section which was great because it is far enough away from the regular resort area but still close enough to walk anywhere. Of course we could always take the free shuttle if we wanted to. The room was very nice and the outdoor shower was great. Our beach butler's name was Diego and he did a great job of making sure we had everything we needed. The personal concierge for our section was also very helpful. We did a beachfront massage and if you like massages you would want to do this. We also did a beachfront dinner on the night of our anniversary and this was also exceptionally nice. My wife and I enjoyed every meal we had there. This was something that was inportant to us because we have been to well known resorts and on cruises where the meals have been disappointing. Thank you Hayley for that. If you like to walk for miles on the beach and swim in the ocean then this probably isn't the place for you. However, there were numerous pools and a walking tract around the resort that went about 4 miles. Honestly, I think it is going to be hard to top this resort.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a swim up casita
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I've been to many 4+ Star All Inclusive Riviera Maya Resorts and I am giving El Dorado Royale a solid 3.5 Star Rating.

Food:
I was fairly happy with the food options at the Resort however, I think the reviews have been a little too generous. The Resort touts themselves on "All Inclusive Gourmet" and I think this is not completely deserved. Our first dinner experience at the resort was one of the Italian Restaurant's named D'Italia and it was one of the worst experiences my husband and I have ever had at a resort. While I don't mind taking my time at dinner, our whole party was getting a little antsy and the food took over 45 minutes to be brought out to us. When it was it was sadly less than mediocre - and this is coming from a girl who isn't picky with her food! They said it was a busy night and while we understood and accepted their apologies we decided not to go back during our stay.

The Fuentes show isn't all that it's cracked up to be! I appreciated the "experience", and perhaps the overall experience would have been better with a different chef. Ours just didn't seem to have much personality. I did not appreciate the up-sell of the wine pairing option with this dinner, while my husband and I did not purchase the wine pairing, our friends did and didn't seem too enthused about the purchase.

I will say Santa Fe was by far the BEST dining experience we had during our stay at this resort! We at here on our last evening and were super bummed that we saved the best for last! The Santa Fe food/experience was what we had hoped all the dining experiences at El Dorado would have been. TIP: Get there early and enjoy a drink at their bar! It's posh, clean and quiet!

Smoothie Bar: Their hours are weird, so beware of when they are open or else you will find yourself standing at a closed bar. When we did get smoothies, they weren't the best - I think my husband's had rocks in it or something. I will say 2 of the 4 smoothies we had were great!

Pool:
The pool is nice, bar is great. Wedding parties took up the bar, but that's okay because we were happy on the beach.

Beach:
The beach isn't the prettiest, but I enjoyed the ease of finding beach chairs and palapas. There is snorkeling, kayaking and other water activities you can do for free.

Entertainment:
The entertainment is like that of any other All Inclusive Resort and includes your typical MJ show, Karaoke night, Fire Dancers and Circus show all of which are fun to watch. One thing we hadn't seen before was the synchronized swimmer show in the main pool during the day- that was neat and something different.

Generations exploring:
I was initially not open to the idea of spending any time at the Generations Resort (as an El Dorado Royale customer - you have access), but we were talked in to trying out their "Escape Rooms" and LOVED IT! I encourage any looking for something different and fun to do this! There are two mystery rooms and you have 45 minutes to find your way out. You are given clues that lead you to your freedom! It's seriously so much fun. DO IT! I'm not sure the cost associated as a friend in our party paid for it.

Rooms:
The rooms were nice, housekeeping did great! Loved coffee with our wake-up calls. Room service takes longer than 30 minutes. Our meal took over an hour and we had to end up cancelling the order because we were going on an excursion this day. If I can be petty for a second, I would suggest towel hooks in the bathroom. Overall, the rooms were great. We were in building 14 and we enjoyed the nice walk to and from.

Grounds:
The Hotel grounds were very nice and clean. The carts go way too fast, but it's only inconvenient when you aren't on one.

Room Tip: Bldg 14 was close to lobby and a nice walk to dinner.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at El Dorado Casitas Royale in April 2015 for 10 nights,

Firstly I would just like to point out that some of the reviews on here are actually El Dorado Royale so please read the reviews fully as a lot of people post the wrong hotel on the Casitas trip advisor section,

On arrival to the hotel you pull in at the El Dorado Royale Lobby, you are then transported to Casitas by golf cart where you check in at reception with a cold towel, glass of champagne as well as a selection of finger food and coffee which is a nice touch, check in is all done in 10 minutes and you are then driver to your casita,

I am a travel agent from the UK and tend to be quite fussy, but this resort really did exceed. We stayed in Casita Block 31 in a swim up infinity pool suite, if budget allows I would definitely upgrade as the room is more than worth it, our room was oversized, with a huge comfortable bed, Plenty of space with walk in shower, outdoor shower, two double wardrobes free mini bar which you can personalise.

Each Casita block is made up of around 25-30 rooms in a horseshoe shape with your own pool for the guests in your casita block, plenty of sun loungers, as well as beach cabanas too - never once had a problem getting a bed in either location for the whole ten days. You also have full service from your beach butler around the pool and on the beach, our butler was Erving and he really did look after us.

As Casita guests you can pre book all of your evening restaurants with your concierge, I would definitely recommend doing this as El Dorado Royale guests do not get this privilege so you can always bypass any que as you have a guaranteed reservation, I ate at all restaurants my favourites were D Italia in casitas section, Kampai offering excellent Asian cuisine and Jojo,s Caribbean for both lunch and dinner, all restaurants are a la carte and whilst the portion sizes I would say are just right, you can of course order as many courses as you like, or if you would like a larger size meal just ask them and they will gladly do as you please. The Pizzeria offers excellent pizza and burgers, the chicken tacos are a must! Room service was also great for breakfast and snacks, arrived quickly and was always hot and nicely presented,

The resort offers free shuttles to cancun and playa del Carmen, as well as a green house tour, bike tour of the property, golf cart shuttles up and down the resort although it is 20 ministers walk from one end of the resort to the other at the most and the walk is nice before and after dinner, they also have nightly entertainment outside, as well as plenty of bars, ps do try the martini bar! Excellente!!

I found the staff here some of the most friendly I have ever come across, everyone from the chefs, to the gardeners, waiters, housekeepers, managers say Hola when they walk past you. The staff are so friendly and really make the resort, our concierge were excellent too and advised us of the best restaurants to try first and booked all of our tours.

We also tried the spa and had a massage under the palapa over the ocean - this is a must!

We did have a couple of hiccups whilst at the resort, but as soon as we reported these to a manager they were corrected straight away, I always believe in bringing up a problem to give resort the chance to resolve it rather than go away not saying anything as this doesn't help resort realise any problem in the first place.

Overall I would most defiantly go back to Casitas, it has the edge over Royale and offers a much more personal service, get to know the staff, by day 2 they will remember each guest by name, remember drinks, offer endless service and surpass your every need if you let them, you will be welcomed with open arms and won't want to leave :)

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Been to El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!