“I loved the the casitas, two things I would change” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
Free Room Upgrade
Ranked #18 of 360 Hotels in Riviera Maya
“I loved the the casitas, two things I would change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband visited the Eldorado Royal casitas in February of this year. I meant to write sooner. I absolutely loved our room. We had a swim out with private infinity or plunge pool. Beautiful room, the bed faced the outside pool and beyond that I could see glimpses of the beach. Just lovely expanses of blue between the pools and the sky and the ocean. These room type, or our block of swim out rooms with infinity plunge pool arcs in a semi circle around a pool with a swim up bar. Also, there is a covered area, like a covered picnic area with picnic tables, and this lovely man every day (I forgot his name begins with an 'F') set up shop from 11:00 until around 3:00 and served chips and guacamole and then the menu had wraps for lunch. I am not a huge fan of wraps,.but these wraps I enjoyed as much as eating in the restaurants. They were perfect, and they would also bring them to these swim up casitas. I saw them do it. And the guests could eat on their little lanai deck. The casitas were so close, that this was not a big deal. I hoped the people running around got tips. We took 200.00 of fives and ones, and tipped away. I enjoyed it. These people really work hard.
Karen and Claudia made up our concierge team, and I couldn't say which person I liked better. They were incredible. Nothing was too much trouble. And one day they left their office to find me. ( i was in the pool, clueless) She came, searching around the pool, (because I was walking the lazy river/swimming for exercise, it wasn't so easy to find me.) She came just to ask me if what ever issue we'd had was take care of. I think it was that I asked for house keeping to come at 12 noon every day. I don't do well with uncertainty and not knowing it they're coming at 8:00 in the morning or 4:00 in the afternoon. And I like the housekeeping done early. They said no problem and were so nice and did such a nice job. After that every day at noon sharp, someone was there to clean the room and replenish towels.
My husband like to nap on the outside, lanai bed. While I was moving around the lazy river and through the main pool, I noticed that some of the outside beds were very thick and nice. Ours was kind of flat and sad. I mentioned this and showed my husband and he asked them to make our bed thick and fluffy too. I would never have done this if my husband and I weren't using the bed, but for 7,000$ for the week, I wanted my husband who works very hard, to have the best vacation he could have. (Also, if he enjoyed himself, we could come back to Mexico, it took 30 years to get this trip.) but I promise, my real reason was he slept on that bed alot and it should be as nice as the ones in the other casitas.
They said they could change the bed that evening or the next day, and we said fine, And they did.
We were very respectful of these lovely people and they were very courteous and did everything they could to make our week wonderful and it was. We know what it was like in our younger years to have very little, and my husband was a waiter for at least 8 years while a student and a busboy as well. We tipped every one very well.

Some really nice things

The weather was perfect the entire week. Do your homework. The rainy season, I think is from October to end of November or December. I wouldn't have liked that at all. Also, Jan and February are good times to go as far as heat and weather. We went at the end of February and it was a little too hot for me unless I was in the water. So, for this whining, hot turtle, January would probably be the best month, because after February it just gets hotter and hotter and then the rainy season.

Not one bug. No mosquitoes or buggy pests of any kind. Nothing. Not a cockroach in sight. Except for one dead one in the pool. Got a paper cup from hubby and got it out of the pool.
The towels were bath sheets, not skimpy towels, but lovely big bath sheets, and if you asked the person cleaning your room for six of them, he would get them for you. We used these towels for showering and for the pool. Actually since our casita was a swim out, I didn't need a towel near the pool, I would just come home to my beautiful casita and use my towel. Every thing is very close, the casita to the pool/bar, and the little restaurant and the casita to the beach etc...
My husband loved the outdoor shower. He likes good water pressure (who doesn't) and he thought this was the best.
The A/C was fantastic. No problems with the room being hot. Sometimes the room was actually cold, but we were both leery of touching any buttons.
I loved, loved, loved, the swim out and so did my husband
I loved the pool and pool bar and eating area, so did my husband.
I loved the view from our room. I have seen other websites and traveler photos from other resorts, and the bed doesn't face the blue beyond, this I really enjoyed.

Room service was very nice, no complaints. Also, as the little refrigerator had sodas, juices, water, beer, a chocolate candy bar, and a bag of chips or pretzels.

The view, ah, the view, not completely ocean front, but literally, from our room to the beach was just to the right of the pool, so it would take ME, whose nickname is 'The Turtle' probably 50 steps to get to the beach.

The SERVICE
The service was incredible, I don't have one complaint. Every one was wonderful in my opinion. My husband liked this fruit that I would not touch, Passion fruit. The outside looks like a tangerine, and the inside, to me, looks like green larva or maybe green caviar, AND according to hubby, it was crunchy. I couldn't, i just couldn't. I know people like this fruit, but it is just not for me. Anyway, an employee went to 5 different restaurants to find my husband passion fruit, and brought it to our door. It was so cute, Of course, we tipped him, and the next day he came to our room knocking. We wondered, who is that? and then there he was with a plate of passion fruit. I couldn't stop laughing. The day before, bless his heart, he brought a 'plate of fruit' not passion fruit. So my husband had his passion fruit.
I have bad knees, and some of the restaurants were very far. Alfonso was our man, giving us rides here and there. There were so many others, the bartender at our pool, the waitress, Daisy? I think that was her name, so nice and friendly and hard working.

The Spa
We loved the spa. I booked our trip through Costco. It had a package. Part of the package was 2 massage treatments. My husband gave me his, He is not comfortable with strangers massaging him. I love massages, and said Muchas Gracias Senor, and gladly took his massage and added it to mine. I just asked for a female masseuse and away I went. So he had his passion fruit and I had my massages. No complaints about the massage, very nice.
The hydrotherapy part of the massage is what my husband enjoyed, an area with a jacuzzi, a small below freezing plunge pool. (I just put my legs in). And best of all this large hydrotherapy pool. If you are persistent you can find pictures on the website, its the Na'ay Spa. This warm pool, has mini treatments. If you stand under one faucet and push the button, a warm, strong stream of water for your neck and shoulders, another for your legs, etc.. . very nice.
The food was fine. I wasn't concerned about the food, unless it was horrible. If nothing else, I would have eaten omelets burgers salads etc... The portions were small, yes, but we learned quickly and ordered extra things, but really, I knew we could always order room service. I was more concerned about our room, the pool, beach and service. I was sure there would be something I liked between room service and at least 10 restaurants.
We liked the buffet breakfast at Cocotal. We would get a ride there, it was quite far. None of the food was bad, but I don't remember that much. I know the Asian restaurant was good, and the Mexican restaurant had an appetizer with chunks of shrimp and (cerviche?) maybe anyway I really liked that. All the restaurants were nice. Actually, I didn't like the buffet dinner at Cocotal. meh... but for breakfast , awesome.
The dinner theater, Fuentes, at first we thought, this sucks. We were hungry and the appetizer the chef made was so small, like fish the size of a nickel, no kidding, that my husband looked at me and said, "We're doomed" I laughed and laughed until people turned around. My husband is on the serious side, but he was having the best time and so was I. Then he said, "This is definitely a night for room service." Believe or not, some people walked out after the second course, again very small, was served. But there were 3 more courses coming. And you could always go to another restaurant later, or order room service. No need to be rude. Another guest who was sitting at the front near the chef complained. So finally the chef address the crowd and said, it's a five course meal, and something to the effect of 'be patient'
The entree was a few ounces and by the time everything was complete, we were actually okay. We didn't care about all that, we were laughing at the portion sizes, making jokes about my diet etc....
So it was okay. We are used to eating big meals. but it was no big deal. We left and were not hungry and I liked not feeling stuffed. We never ordered room service that night.
We rode into Playa del Carmen one night, and my husband had the time of his life haggling with the vendors. He talked one guy down from 65.00 for a bracelet to 12.00. So.... never take the first price. Not even in the fine stores. They will come down. The only place they never came down was the gift shops in the resort. But there was a jewelry store , very fancy, and my huband got himself a ring and ended up paying 1/3 of the price.

Now some things I didn't like
ONly one thing I didn't like and that was the terrible dinner on the beach. I didn't want to do it, I had a feeling, but it was part of Costco's package, and hubby said let's do it. The food wasn't good. Sorry. I had some type of beef, so tough, that I literally didn't eat it. I just wanted to skip it. I spoke to another guest at the pool. I recognized her from that night, and they didn't like their food either. But would that stop me from going back? Never. It's just a way to have a romantic dinner, and it's a money maker, some guy played the violin, and if you order lobster or have a certain wine, you pay extra. I just wouldn't do the dinner on the beach. Minor issue.
I didn't like that you can't swim in the ocean. Too rocky and waves too rough. If we weren't having such a nice time, this would have been a real downer.

Little bit of debris in the pool, the lazy river part. Not much (dead bug) but enough that I noticed. If I had a net I would have scooped up the debris. Not a major issue.
Hard to get the lovely beach beds. All taken and for the whole day unless you got up at dawn.
For me, this resort was too big. I don't need to eat at 11 restaurants. I don't care about 13 pools since you only really use the 1 pool for your block of rooms. The place is so big because there 2 sides the Eldorado Royale side and Eldorado Casitas side. Nothing wrong with a big resort, My young niece honeymooned here, on the regular side. She highly recommended it. She told me to go to stay in one of the casitas, which we did. They are young, real young. They probably didn't stay in their rooms. They are fit, scuba dive, like to go on excursions etc.... My husband and I don't scuba dive, we are much older than them, and we had no interest in seeing ruins of any kind. No judgement. We are middle eastern. I was born and raised here, but my husband was not. He's seen enough 'ruins'. So he wasn't interested. What does interest us is a great pool beach. He walked a couple of miles every day, I tried to spend time in the pool moving. and swimming. Anyway, we had a great time.

So, how do we get the same outstanding quality of service, the fantastic looking rooms facing a swim out pool. The same outdoor shower, A beach that you can swim in. A place for turtle-like me that is not Sooooo big? It's simple. Next time I will book at Eldorado Maroma! I can see that the rooms are similar and the place isn't as big. Maybe we will ride a horse or a camel. The marina with excursions are next door. (close for the slow turtle) I have never snorkeled, believe it or not, and I wouldn't mind a gentle excursion. It seems that everything is close by. So, if I want to walk I can. Or if I want to ride bikes I can, but am not forced to.

I really loved the Eldorado Casitas. If there wasn't another option I would go back in a heartbeat, and still might. But my husband really likes to get in the ocean. I hear you can at the El dorado Maroma. I've heard that Maroma Beach is nice. Originally, I didn't want to go to Eldorado Maroma, because the young lady at Karisma's 800 number said we would get bored. (but I could tell she was young and for her she probably would get bored. ) and a viewer last year made a negative remark about the place so quiet that it seemed unappealing. Then I realized that 'we' are boring people ourselves. So Eldorado Maroma should be perfect for us. There are at least 3 restaurants, but I would trade the amounts of restaurants for a beach we can swim in. Really, I LOVED our vacation, We could still lay out by the beach and the pool was very nice.
Another note. The pool bar closed at 4:oo. This was a downer because the music stopped they wrap it up and leave. When the servers are there, it's livelier, with drinks and music. The atmosphere changes. The bar should stay open until 6:oo

I think of our trip every day. I loved Mexico. I loved the people, I loved everything, and especially the lovely room , and the SERVICE. Above and beyond.

And I love water-- everything was so blue. The pools, the sky. Ahhh, take me back to where the water is blue....

Room Tip: I loved the swim out with private pool. Some people like upstairs with infinity pool and views of t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Valued reviewer,
We have been honored with a review not only from an expert traveler such as yourself, but also by
We understand your experience was not exactly perfect but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration. Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.
Thank you so much for your contribution.

Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.
It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation.

best regards
Beat Müller
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We just got back from a 5 night stay at the Casitas. It was our first time there but our 4th trip to the Mayan Riviera. The resort is very beautiful, but huge!
We stayed in the 30 block which was wonderful. It was close to the restaurants in the Casitas, quiet, romantic and luxurious. It was far from the action of the main resort, but when we wanted to go there we caught one of the shuttles. We liked Allen the concierge and loved our beach butler Daisy and bartender at the swim-up bar. Their standout service was a highlight. I would recommend a 2nd floor room for quiet and privacy. When we were in the room we felt like we were the only people there. BUT, the stairs are a killer. 2nd floor rooms are high up a wooden stair case that is slanted so the rain falls away from the building. If you have any physical issues, stay on the bottom floor. My favorite part of the room was the round outdoor shower. You will love it!
We liked most of the food. Favorite dinners were at Santa Fe, romantic dinner on the beach, Kampai Asian, and Fuentes dinner theater. The Italian restaurant was not great - tiny portions, slow service, overcooked pasta, but amazing chocolate surprise desert. For lunch we liked Jojo's. We ate mostly at the small grill at Casitas 31 pool. It was nice to come straight from the beach and not have to go back to the room and change but the selection is small. We ate breakfast in the room twice but would recommend catching the shuttle to the buffet in the main lobby building. Best breakfast buffet ever.
The pool with the swim-up bar in our section was great, clean, warm, not crowded. There were some fun people but plenty of space so only as much socializing as you chose. I want to be honest about the beach. Some people are bothered by the look of the sand whales and the cement pyramids. All I could see was the color of the beautiful turquoise water and soft sand. The section in front of Casitas 31 was where we spent a lot of time. You could walk right out, sit down and little fish would come and swim around you. We also saw lots of fish, plate size, at the beach in front of Jojo's. Amazing!
We had the couples massage on the beach. 80 minutes of bliss! Try it.
There are a few reasons that I am not giving 5 stars. If you get a room in the area where the Casitas meet the Royale, yuck! There is a distinct smell of sewage in the evenings. Do not stay around there. Portion size and slow service at some of the restaurants were not top tier.
I know this is long, but I value the reviews on Trip Advisor and if this can help you decide... I would say go there. It is beautiful and was a great trip.

Room Tip: Stay in the casitas, sections 27 or higher. 2nd floor for privacy.
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

El Dorado Casitas Royale was the perfect honeymoon spot!! It sits Adjacent to the Caribbean Sea where the water is 82° clear and beautiful! This was an all inclusive, adults only, beachfront resort. There are amazing restaurants, corner food restaurants, 24 hour room service, and plenty of bars and other places to have any kind of drink you like!! There were beds on the beach and lounge chairs. Each section had its own cool bar that was open from 10 to 6 every day. Our bartender Cesar was amazing. Cesar works the pool bar in section 28. Every morning as soon as we came out of on our balcony he was they're asking us what we would like to drink telling us the drink of the day. If we chose to lounge on the beach bed he would find us and take our order and deliver them to us. All of the restaurants were gourmet and delicious. There was so much to do at the resort. From bike tours, kayaking, volleyball, snorkeling, nightlife, horseback riding, dancing, cooking classes, pottery painting and more! You really never have to leave the resort while you're there, and you won't want to! If you decide to, though, there are so many things to do nearby from touring the ruins, to snorkeling, to just about anything within a half an hour. We also love the spa. We had three massages all on the beach. If you're going for an anniversary or honeymoon bring your marriage certificate and they will give you lots of extras for free. This was a beautiful, immaculate, amazing resort. I can't recommend it more and if we could go every year we would!

Room Tip: The casitas were amazing rooms!! We loved section 28. Bartender Cesar made our trip! Great service e...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My stay at casitas royal was excellent the staff was perfect! my butlers Jalma & Jesus were exceptional.The massage therapists Jorge & Angelena were great. Great lunches at Kampai,Had a wonderful dinner at D'Italia Casita also Cocotal has a wonderful breakfast.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a 2 week holiday celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The hotel and food was amazing and the staff were fantastic. Our Concierge Allen was second to none and really did make our holiday even more amazing - you could not fault him in any way and he really is a credit to the resort, we felt honoured to have him as our concierge and when leaving it felt as though we were leaving behind a very dear friend, also our other concierge Myleene was fab, always so happy and the most addictive laugh. Nothing was ever too much for them both and they went above and beyond. The food was top notch and a great variety - one of the waiters Alex from Jojos restaurant stuck in our minds and he really was fantastic, never before have we been away and wanted to comment so much on staff - so many deserve recognition. We wanted to do a few excursions whilst away and were pre-prepared to be hassled into doing things we didn't want like most resorts however we were pleasantly surprised. Sergio from lomas travel was very professional and easy going. He had a very friendly approach that actually made you want to listen and take part . All in all we had a amazing holiday with not a fault to be found - we will definitely be recommending this place to all and hope to return. Big thank you to the maintenance man for repairing my shoe hahaha - BEST holiday ever!

Norman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We just returned from El Dorado Royale. We were upgraded to the casitas side and it was wonderful! Food, service, entertainment was all very satisfying. We will miss Daisy, Santiago, and Roman from section 30 of the casitas! They were all tremendous and should be commended. Daisy was so nice she should be Mayor! Santa Fe was our favorite restaurant, followed closely by D'Italiano. We are still kicking around becoming members, but either way we intend to return.

Matt Card 3020

Stayed July 2014
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I am writing this review almost 1 year later...but our vacation is still very vivid in my mind so I will share!!
PROS:

Arrival to the hotel was very smooth, we booked transportation directly with casitas and there was no issue. Check in was a breeze, took maybe 10-15 mins. we were given welcome champagne along with a cool towel to freshen up. The lobby is huge and beautiful, large floor to ceiling sliding doors with a nice view of the resort and trees. everyone was extra friendly, we had the VIP check in service so we went into a small office and were given our room keys. Our luggage was taken to our hotel room - we decided to grab lunch before seeing our room.

our casita was very beautiful. We had an outdoor shower off of the bathroom which was neat - my husband really loved that feature. The shower was huge, 4 ppl could fit in there. We were given a nice welcome note, fruit and wine upon our arrival. Beds are plush and very comfy - pillow menu was awesome and I loved the aromatherapy. We had a lovely beachfront casita steps away from the pool. Jacuzzi which we never used and a nice sized flat screens. AC worked very well - fridge was always stocked, however the towel quality was poor for a 5 star resort. I was expecting plush towels and they were very thin and cheap...same for the bathmat - cheap thin towel - I was very disappointed with that.

We had great butler service - can't recall his name but he was great. Got us snacks at the pool, made our dinner rsvs, spa rsvs - always checking up on us - he was wonderful!!!

The Food......the restaurants were all great. Now Casitas Royale is shared with El Dorado Royale so the entire resort is huge and there were plenty of options. Our fave. was the Asian on our side which we discovered days into our visit. We ended up going to breakfast and lunch there for the remainder of our time. Try to get rsvs at Fuentes - it was a very cool experience to watch the chefs cook live, we were seated right in the front and really enjoyed it all. If I remember correctly, wine was an additional cost and each course the chef recommended a parring. Funetes menu changed daily - we went when the cuisine was Italian and really enjoyed it. Our absolute favorite was the Mexican restaurant - the best Tres Leches cake I ever had in my life AND really made this trip memorable since we had a little joke about it. All in all - I ordered this cake to my room which apparently is not allowed (there is a room service menu specifically for room orders) so the staff really went above and beyond for me. They were so kind personally walking to the restaurant and bringing it to my room - it was the BEST cake I've ever eaten in my life I wanted to take it home with me....And I'm happy to say we are returning back to Mexico, staying at seaside suites this year and I will be stopping by just for this cake!!! Amazing!

The Spa....Spa was great - not much to say about it. Like any other upscale spa, clean locker room, robes, option of male or female, great products, also can do spa on the beach...nice massage. Nothing to rave about but I am a spa-ee and this was a very nice good quality facility. And luckily our room was steps away because we made about 3 visits!

The grounds....Grounds were well kept, nice lawns, again since its a shared resort there were golf carts to take you to different ends of the hotel. Wait time was not too bad everything was nice.

CONS:

The Beach!!!! The beach totally sucked, it was very rocky not really swimable and rough waters. (We were here Sept. 2013). My hubby is a beach guy being a Jamaican native so this was a disappointment for us. Even the sands were not that nice - I personally do not swim much but thought the lay out space was narrow and not that great. Waters were very pretty to look out - just not swim able at all.

Voucher...now this is a personal problem! We attended the timeshare meeting and were almost almost almost going to buy until my mother back in the states said no - however we were given a complimentary night stay and I lost it so I'm hoping they can replace it so I can come back.

All in all...this was by far my favorite vacation, I can write a book about it. The food was the best I've ever eaten for All Inclusive - they really stand up to their name. The pictures online actually look like the resort if not better when you arrive and the staff if beyond great, I wanted to take them all back home. It was a very nice honeymoon and we really cannot wait to return! It is worth every penny because you will pay a pretty penny to stay here but like they say...you get what you pay for and it is WORTH every cent! 5 star service from arrival to departure. Not to mention the nice communication before you arrive ensuring everything is set for you.

I'm giving 4 stars only because of the beach and the towels. I would like to suggest being that this is an upscale resort, most ppl who travel here are expecting better quality towels. When you book 5 star you are expecting plush and 100% cotton so I think the hotel should really consider doing a better job with that. For all you beach lovers - take a day trip to Mamora beach about 15 min away - excellent beach! One of the nicest beaches we've been too! Water was gorg, warm and smooth sands - NO rocks!!

This place is for lovers - its very relaxing quiet and romantic, older crowd - we were maybe the youngest couple there but def. didn't mind!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple