“Wonderful place for a honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   KM 45, Carretera Cancun - Tulum, Riviera Maya, Q. Roo, 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 345 hotels in Riviera Maya
San Francisco
“Wonderful place for a honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent our 18 day honeymoon at the El Dorado Casitas Royale. Not only did the hotel staff cater to our every need, they exceeded all of our expectations. The bartenders were incredible and made amazing cocktails (thank you Cesar and Guillermo!). The beach butler (David) delivered ice cream and appetizers to us while we were lounging by the pool and Daniel even challenged my husband to a game of chess each afternoon. The hotel suite was very large (complete with our own personal swim up veranda). There were so many variety of restaurants, which all had great food. The entertainment in the daytime and evenings was really original too (Danny is great!). The manager (Olga) really catered to all of our needs as well. She was incredible. It was truly an all inclusive holiday! I highly recommend El Dorado Casitas Royale to anyone looking for a great, relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Stay in the Casitas section of the resort if you want a more private vacation (less crowded pools...

1,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I just returned from my trip to the El Dorado Royale resort. Originally we stayed in the Villas side of the resort and then got a free upgrade to the Casitas. If you're not aware, the resort is actually broken up into two sections. The Villas side and the fancier (read: more expensive) Casitas side.

Upon arriving to the resort I knew that we were in for a treat. The moment you enter the front gate you're surrounded by lush and well maintained landscape that is predominately palms of various varieties. Most of them are coconut palms which is fine as these are my favorite palm trees. On the resort is no different. They've jam packed the grounds with foliage which is a major plus for me. They even use coconuts for edging with some of them sprouting new coconut trees. Very cool. Every now and then you'll spot a stray iguana and we even saw a porcupine in a palm tree. The grounds are a bit more spread out on the Casitas side making it a sizable hike to get from place to place. Luckily there are a lot of shuttle carts to pick you up and move you around often operated by very friendly (and a bit snarky) young employees. Their humor was right up my alley.

Our first stop was our luxury swim-up suite in the Villas side. Honestly, my wife and I were a bit disappointed. The room seemed old even though we were told they were newly remodeled. The lighting was horrible. The patio which connected to the swim-up did not feel private at all. There was a main sidewalk about 30' beyond our portion of the "lazy river". It appeared that a vast majority of the swim-ups were situated this way. Actually, by swim-up standards our was relatively far from the sidewalk. We saw some that were less than 10' away. Before getting to the lazy river part of your swim-up you'll find a small wading pool. Too bad you share that with your neighbor.

Next is the room layout. Horrible. The only "divider" between the bedroom and bathroom area is a glass partition. It doesn't even go all the way up the wall. Beyond the glass you'll find a partially enclosed shower with a door that does not touch the ceiling. This is fine and is pretty standard. What's not standard is the door to the toilet room. It neither touches the floor nor the ceiling. It is essentially open. You and your significant other better be VERY comfortable with your sharing of trips to the bathroom. Either that or be "strategic" about your bombing attacks if you know what i mean. My wife and I have been together since 1997 and we still found this to be a bit awkward. Overall we were a bit disappointed with the room.

A few days into our trip we were offered a free upgrade to an infinity pool casita which was on the complete other end of the resort. Man, this is when our vacation really kicked into gear. The Casitas side feels like a completely different resort. You don't have to worry about finding a palapa on the beach. A "beach boy" keeps the area pretty much reserved/restricted to people staying in the particular building behind his/her patch of beach. Our room was outstanding. Very nice and spacious layout. Outdoor shower. Outdoor bed on the patio which is sitting next to your very own outdoor infinity pool. All of it felt very private as well.

We were told that the resort was close to full capacity, but you'd never know it thanks to the layout of the resort. You never felt crowded because there were many pools which all had their own bars. People pretty much stayed at the pool closest to their room. The "main" pool got a bit crowded, but we just decided not to go to that one...if any at all.

Why chill at the pool when you can go to the beach? The beaches on the Villas side were very nice. Lots of sand and a big lagoon; created by the giant sand bags; with which to swim in. The sand bags did a good job of blocking the waves too which was nice because the ocean was pretty wind blown our entire stay. Don't forget to take some bread from breakfast with you to the lagoons. You can hand feed it to the fish.

In Mexico the early bird gets the palapa and the worm. If you want one of the few palapas that are on the Villas side you'll need to get up early to claim a spot. Like 7am early. You just need to put your towels and like a bag of sunblock in the palapa you'd like and head back to your room or breakfast. We'd save our spot at 7 and return around 9 to find our stuff exactly as we had left it. It seems a bit dirty to hold a spot for that long, but these palapas come at a premium and people tend to stay in them until 5pm like we, and everyone around us, did.

As I mentioned above, palapa reservation is not an issue on the Casitas side but I must say that the beach is not as nice. It's a lot rockier on the Casitas side and as such most people were in the pools. That's probably why getting a Casitas palapa is pretty easy. That said, the pool and the palapa at our end were so close together (like 20') that we basically had the best of both worlds.

Lastly, and most importantly, is the food and drink. For the drinks, I'll just say that they were excellent. Not too strong, not too weak, just right. Well, except for the bloody marys. They never tasted right. I think it's the tomato juice that they use. I have a new best friend though and his name is Mojito. So good.

The food here is excellent as well. Well, breakfast and dinner. Honestly, lunch was a bit lackluster at most restaurants except the Mexican restaurant Rincon and Japanese restaurant Kampai. Nachos at the poolside pizzeria were good too. Breakfast must be had at Cocotal. It's a buffet style breakfast complete with an omelette station. I had shrimp omelettes every morning. Non-buffet portion sizes were a bit on the small side, but I think that's because I would order multiple apps or mains. I wanted to try a bit of everything, so I ordered multiple dishes. Overall I never left hungry, but when I did find a dish I liked I never felt like I had enough of it. I saw other people with larger portions, but they had only ordered a single item. Maybe they ordered two of the same item? Now that I know what I like I won't have to order multiple dishes though.

Word of advice, hit Kampai early in your trip. We found it to be the best restaurant. If you do too you'll want to go there more than once. We hit it late and found out that it's our favorite a bit too late into our trip. Sushi is surprisingly good (although nowhere near the best I've had). Curry is amazing though.

Room service was also really good...and included! My wife and I would often cap the night with a late night creme brulee. I'll work it off in the gym this week. ;)

There's really only one negative I have (well, besides the mediocre room in the Villas) to say about this resort. They say that it's an all-inclusive resort and tipping is not required...well it sure is expected. Almost uncomfortably so at times. Just keep that in mind when you go and bring lots of small denomination bills. This aspect did kind of get in the way of an overall carefree trip though. I didn't always remember to carry cash with me and at times felt really bad about it. Then again, not EVERYONE tipped but you sure did excellent service once you were found to be a tipper. Non-tippers still got great service though, so don't let that deter you.

Overall, the staff was very friendly and seemed to genuinely enjoy being there. To me that's a sign of a resort run by a good management staff. Not sure if we'll stay here again only because my wife and I don't like to visit the same resort twice if we can help it. I do HIGHLY recommend the Casitas side of the resort though and I will be recommending this resort to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Stay in the Casitas if you can. If not, you may want to consider other resorts. My wife and I enjo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
The Heart of England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My Wife and I have been here three times now and on each occasion we have been staggered by the service, the friendliness and overall exceptional quality of every aspect of the resort. You really can't go wrong here. There is something for everyone: beach, quiet pools, party pools, gyms, spa, activities, fantastic restaurants and lovely bars. Every member of staff appears to be on a mission to make your holiday the best ever.

We celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary on this trip so I asked if it would be possible to have a private chefs table in the wine room of the newly opened Santa Fe grill, with wine pairings - this was arranged with the minimum of fuss and the night was amazing! we dined on a bespoke five course menu designed for us after Chef (Sergio Campos) had discussed what we liked. The Sommelier remained on hand throughout our dinner, introducing the carefully selected wines. They couldn't do enough for us, it was perfect.

Bartlett, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Overall awesome experience. We felt very pampered in our casita. We were there for a spring break time week, March 23-29th. No problems as far as spring break if you are thinking noisy party or anything. Great service, swim up bar, palapa bed on the beach that you don't have to rent. Resort is well kept. Food and restraints were great. I tried things I never would have at home and was never disappointed. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Concierge, bartenders, butlers...all were spectaculr. We did have a broken DVD player, switched out within a few hours of us telling them while we were at the pool. It was romantic, quiet, and relaxing. Casitas are the way to go. Private pool and bar just for your group of rooms. You get to make restaurant reservations which you can't do if staying just in el dorado royale, non casitas.

Waiters at the restaurants were friendly and funny. we got to know several and enjoyed seeing them each day several learned our names and even if not serving us came over to say "Hola!"

Entertainment was pretty good in the evenings. We did not do any of the movies as they were to early and we were at dinner, but hey we didn't come to see movies, most were older anyway. The evening entertainment was pretty good most nights.

The downside was the ocean. We have previously stayed at secrets maroma beach where the sand was nicer and the ocean was great. el dorado being two resorts together has options down by the casitas you really can't go in to rocky. Down south more by El Dorado royale there are decent areas for swimming. yes they do have the large bags of coral and what not in the wat making like wave breaks, to help stop beach erosion. Not beautiful but I can overlook it. I would have liked to have been able to do some better body surfing or what not for a bit each day but hey I came mainly to relax.

We booked an excursion for snorkeling our of Puerto Morelos just 10 minutes north, they provided transportation and you could do lunch if you wanted for a few more bucks, we did not. The snorkeling was great, even saw about an 8ft long shark. Who stayed under his coral thank goodness as my wife would have freaked. I thought it was awesome!!

We would come back. I think however our next trip might be to El Dorado Maroma though and see ....might be best of El Dorado Royale with beach like secrets maroma.

This resort is on the more expensive side but is adults only very nice and relaxing but still saved us over doing back to Secrets Maroma which was even more expensive and who's price has gone way up since we went two years ago. Overall had a great vacation, and that's what you pay for.

Brian

Room Tip: Casitas without a doubt worth the money for service, pool/bar, reservations, etc.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This was our fifth stay at El Dorado Casitas and it was as relaxing and wonderful as we expected it to be. The only reason I gave the overall rating 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the restaurant reservation system. We only stayed 4 nights this time (too short). Because of our short stay we're we're not able to eat at Santa Fe, one of their more popular restaurants. Apparently reservations fill several days out. My fix?... stay longer next time. Every employee of the place was helpful and as friendly as can be. We'll definately go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I visited the Casitas for the second year in a row and are in the process of booking our next trip. We are in love with this place! Everything was perfect - the weather, the food, our personal butlers (Lily and Berenice) our room location, the water in our pool...it was all first class. If you're looking for a relaxing escape this is the place. If you want more action, the community pools are always populated with some fun people. Can't wait for our next trip!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This was our 10th visit to this resort. Last year I wrote a review giving the experience 3 stars. The year before the experience was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to write a review. We returned because my husband loves the casitas and the bar, restaurant and pool staff provide outstanding service. This year we returned for my 50th birthday and, as a surprise, some friends joined us.

First of all, our concierge, Charlie, was the best we have had. She was friendly, helpful and not pushy. We don't want a timeshare as each year, we don't know if or when we will be able to go and eventually we plan to buy our own apartment. She brought it up and then left it alone.

We had 4 casitas in the same section which the resort arranged last minute. Charlie also managed to arrange dinner reservations for all of us for all nights on our first day. Last year it was an argument to get any reservations that weren't at 6:00 for any restaurant on any night for 2 people.

On my birthday, 2 days after arrival, we had an amazing dinner at D'Italia Casitas and were given the private dining room for which I was very thankful. Our group can be loud and would not be appreciated by other diners! We are from different parts of the US and Canada and rarely get together so it can definitely be overwhelming to others. Our server was Silver and he was clearly a seasoned server. He took excellent care of us mainly by himself. The manager of D'Italia Casitas, whose name escapes me right now, was excellent! He could easily step into any 5 star restaurant. He worked very hard to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The whole staff came in at dessert and sang happy birthday. Amazing birthday dinner.

Upon returning to our room that night, there was a birthday cake made out of towels and flowers and rose petals all over the bed and floor. The whole day made for the most amazing birthday ever.

Because our casita was the only one on the ground floor, the entire group often ordered lunch to our room from room service. Again, overwhelming for staff but they all handled it with professionalism and a big smile.

I can't explain to you how fantastic Fecundo and the other bar and beach staff were. They never missed an opportunity to make sure we were all taken care of all the time.

The casitas themselves have all been renovated since our visit last year and they have been beautifully done - especially the bathrooms.

I was still only able to give 4 stars in this review because of a few small things which may or may not be important to others. Firstly, upon checkin, they still asked us if it was our first time there. Issac, Fecundo, Juan (at the front) and other bar and wait staff know us by our first names and welcome us like family each year. I have joined the returning guest programme, twice. And yet, the casitas check-in can't figure it out. Secondly, we ordered breakfast from room service on 6 mornings. It was only correct once. Always close enough that it's not worth complaining about. It's always been like this and we expect it. Finally, housekeeping is hit or miss. We received fifteen conditioners over the course of seven days while one of our friends received none. Maybe they were trying to tell me something! One night we didn't receive turndown service. We also did not have a book in the room with resort info, tv channel guide and room service menu. Of the four casitas, only two had books. We shared when we had to, but after so many visits we made do with memory.

One last thing, when we checked-in, we were told we would get free wifi as a birthday present. Upon check-out, we were charged for it while our friends we not. After some explaining back and forth, the wifi was removed from bill.

All in all, because of this year's service improvements, I will return again and will recommend to friends. Every year, whether it was a good experience or bad, the bar staff, wait staff and others have been beyond reproach. Our issues have always arisen from middle management. Everyone really went out of their way to make this entire week, not just my birthday, very, very special.

Stayed April 2014

Been to El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!