“Wonderful Anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up to 30%
Ranked #11 of 359 Hotels in Riviera Maya
“Wonderful Anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at the el dorado royal casitas! What a amazing trip! From the champagne greeting, straight to our individual swimout suite! The casita was beautiful, the view was wonderful, the service was out of this world:) I would highly recommend this to anyone. We will be back:))

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
Woodstock, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day stay at this amazing resort! The food was fantastic very gourmet-
The staff was very friendly & attentive to our every need!
We stayed in the casitas very beautiful suites - the entire place is immaculate -very well taken care of around the clock. Our romantic dinner on the beach was outstanding- their attention to detail is so impressive!!
We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Casitas are very private & beautiful-

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at this resort based on recommendatons from friends who had been here before. We cannot say enough about our time here. The staff have been awesome, the food superb, the grounds are immaculate, and the overall experience has been wonderful. Gaby and Christian were amazing, and facilitated every request. We particularly enjoyed the a la carte dining format.
We will definitely be returning to this wonderful resort.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We just spent the week of July 21 to July 28 - so sad to leave . Perfect weather and this was our first trip back since upgrading to Emerald We were blown away by the new classification and all of the inclusions that we normally paid for out of pocket. From the limo service to the romantic chef in room dinner, 2 free excursions 2 messages per person manicure and pedicure and dinner on the beach. We had 2 butlers Gaby and Mauricio who were anticipating our every need. many romantic room stages with rosé petals , champagne tuxedo strawberries and scented baths. Top quality massages and spa services from Felipe and staff took us to another level of relaxation. The room 3201 made us feel like Royalty -sweeping ocean views sunrises and sunsets large pool that we floated on every day. My best tan ever in 1 week. Now I know a lot of you do not want to buy a membership in exotic - afraid it is a rip off but I consider this membership to be one of the best investments we have ever made they Deliver all that is promised and more. Every time we go to Any of the El dorado hotels whether it be Maroma, Seaside or casitas there is improvements in the existing resort and always new construction so I know my investment is being used to keep developing and maintaining this beautiful area in Mexico. We have many explorer weeks that allow us to travel the world at a very reduced rate as well. So I am a very proud member. There is a new dolphin experience at maroma this is a first class excursion and should be considered on everyones bucket list a truly unique experience. The hard copy album will be on my coffee table for years to come. The quality of this venue is unsurpassed and we are already planning our next escape to paradise Maureen G

Room Tip: Block 32 casitas or block 4100 or 4200 in villas
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is outstanding!!

Food-Much better than expected! Small portions, but we left feeling full everytime. Our favorite restaurant was the mexican one and D'Italia! Jo Jo's for lunch is a must! We didnt care for fuentes.

The staff are charming, and it almost felt like they were on vacation. A breath of fresh air.

My wife and I are young and not afraid to exercise, but the resort is large and may be troublesome for those that are disabled.

The beach beds on the casitas side are wonderful, and the pools are great. Our beach butler Jesus, is the man. Curteous and very knoweledgable about other areas around the resort.

The scents in the spa, and hotel were amazing. We did not buy any bottles but may purchase them online.

The resort has great entertainment!!! The activities are plentiful, ranging from cooking classes to a kayak tour.

Take advatnage of the tour companies that sell excursions up front. We used Olympus!

The spa was awesome!

**Carry cash for tips. We didnt tip for everything, but tipped for those who went above and beyond.

***This is not a complaint, but I would encourage the hotel to have a meet and great every night for those folks who have just arrived.

Room Tip: Casitas is a bit more reserved. If your looking to be a part of the party scene, stay in the Royale.
Bella Vista, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

El Dorado Casitas Royale, leave the light on for me; I will be back. My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary here. The accommodations were great, the food was fantastic, but the service was beyond description.

We stayed in the 2700 group of individual Casitas. Our beach butler, Javier, was attentive to our every need without being overbearing. Our concierge, Erika, went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was trouble free and enjoyable. Our trip would not have been the same without the efforts of these two.

We are already planning our return trip. Thanks for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: The individual Casitas are so peaceful and quiet. All of them are within 15 to 20 steps to the beac...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Adirondacks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here for the second year in a row as part of a yoga retreat. There's no question that it's an ideal location both for vacationing and as a destination wedding or convention. It's built to accommodate everything from romantic getaways to family reunions. The all-inclusive nature of it makes it very stress-free by nature. You literally don't have to think, or pull your wallet out, except to tip. And we're of the philosophy (unlike a lot of the guests we observed) that tipping is simply good manners, even at an all-inclusive. As for what we liked best about the resort:

* Location - it's a beautifully landscaped, sprawling property right on the ocean. There's virtually a view of the turquoise beaches from anywhere you walk - whether it's to the gift store, one of the restaurants, or to the spa. Many of the rooms and casitas have ocean views, but some do not.

* The Spa - Naay Spa has two locations, one near the action and a larger one called The Casitas Spa on the far end of the property. The latter features the option of hydra therapy pre- or post-treatment. It's a WONDERFUL and theraputic option which I highly recommend. Aside from the usual jacuzzi whirlpool, there's a room-temperature pool with several jet stations that massage different body parts in different ways. The hydra-therapy room has lounge chairs and a grotto-like ambiance that's very peaceful. I booked two massages during my five-night stay. Both were OUTSTANDING. The first was with Josue, the second, with Felipe. Both therapists were professional, kind, and very accommodating. A therapist either makes or breaks the experience with their attitude and approach, and Felipe and Josue made me feel cradled and entirely focused on during the entire session. I've had spa experiences at high end resorts that have felt rushed or phoned in...not this time. It was by far the most relaxing and theraputic spa experience ever.

The Breakfast Buffet - This made all the other mediocre food at the resort worth it. The breakfast buffet at the Cocotel was DIVINE and the highlight of our day. There's a bounty of tropical fruit that's just not available at such quality or volume in the states: mangoes, guava, papaya, bananas of all sizes and colors, passion fruit, cactus. The buffet had just about everything that an American buffet does: pancakes, toast, bagels, muffins, yogurt, waffles, omelet station, sausage bacon, etc. But with some Mexican twists: a vat of homemade guacamole, salsas, just-steamed tamales. Another bonus - really outstanding smoked salmon, chopped onions, capers, hardboiled eggs, and cream cheese, offering a totally Jewish experience that made my husband swoon. Also a big part of the experience was the outstanding service of the waiters, who darted around the room like pinballs to make sure diners had coffee and juice refills. Ask for Efrain - he has a smile bright as the sun and is accommodating beyond belief.

The Juice Bar - Another thing about the resort that made my day. I'm not a big alcohol drinker (which is a draw for many at an all-inclusive) so my twice-daily indulgence were the fresh juices that Juan and Nora made for me each day. There's a menu of options but they will also customize in any combination such as avocado (which makes it like a decadent milkshake), papaya, mango, banana, ginger, and cactus. SO GOOD! Another draw is the juice bar's espresso dispenser and giant water cooler filled with fruit water. Some days it was pineapple, other days, watermelon...always a hydrating respite from the heat.

Now to the aspects of El Dorado we weren't so fond of:

* The Food - last year's food was noticibly better. Jo-Jo's had the most amazing sea bass last year which we lapped up daily. This year the fish of the week was Mahi-Mahi which was tough and flavorless. Our best dinner meal was at D'Italia Casitas. My husband's filet of beef was very good and tender. The lobster lasagna was cold, dry, and absent of any noticiable lobster meat. My cream of lentil soup was outstanding and like velvet. My husband's dessert of Mascarpone Zabaglione over fresh fruit was stunning. Dinner at La Isla was good (skirt steak was good, ditto for the salmon), but there was a boistrous and large wedding rehearsal dinner going on which should have been corralled into one of the resort's many banquet rooms and not a restaurant. Why subject dinner guests on a romantic evening out to the screaming drunk antics of a family tree of archtypical Ugly Americans attired in flourescent colored sombreros cackling as they slurred Frito Bandito serenades to the annoyed but polite Mexican wait staff? At D'Italia, the other Italian eatery, service was surly, the lighting in the room was blaringlly bright and uncomfortable and we were told it was "not possible" to turn the lights any dimmer. Food was OK but as was the case with all the restaurants, portions were miniscule. When we tried remedying the situation by ordering more food, waiters would often 'forget' to bring the order. Their minestrone was excellent, but how expensive are vegetables? Why bring out a portion tiny enough to down in three spoonfulls?

Overall, service wasn't as attentive or friendly as last year's visit. Cocotel breakfast staff were all great, but dinner waiters were especially unpleasant. The restaurant staff seems trained to underserve. It was a common occurence for waiters not to return to the table after food is served to see if diners are happy with the food or want anything additional. Our bespectacled waiter at Kampai was so insouciant, (he forgot part of our order and never returned to check on us) it was no contest about leaving no tip....the only time we did so during our stay, even with other so-so experiences, but this guy was over-the-top unprofessional.

Ironically, the best food we had (aside from Cocotel's breakfast buffet) was room service! If you don't have a room at the higher end Casitas (replete with swim up pools) you're treated like a second class citizen when making a dinner reservation. Yes, that's the first thing they ask when you call for a rezzy...automatic segregation isn't a great feeling anywhere, especially on vacation.

If you're looking at an all-inclusive because you want to eat like you're on a cruise ship, this isn't your place. It's really ideal for those who like to drink all day and bake in the sun. Otherwise you may find yourself feeling a little caged after 4 or 5 days. Thankfully, there are lounging areas that are purposely set up in shaded areas and that's pretty much how we spent our time. with a tumbler of fresh juice for me and a dacqueri for my husband. Don't miss the spa or the breakfast buffet if you go - those are the undeniable highlights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed review, I enjoyed reading your comments and I'm happy to know that we exceed your expecations in many ways. I'm sorry that you vacation experienced fell short of previous visits; I would like you to know that I have take note of these areas so I am address and make improvements.

I hope that you will chose to return and I can assure you that your next stay at the El Dorado Casitas Royale will be your best to date!

Best Regards

Olga Medina
Hotel Manager - El Dorado Casitas Royale

Been to El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!