“Close but multiple service issues take them down” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #10 of 359 Hotels in Riviera Maya
Atlanta, Georgia
“Close but multiple service issues take them down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Pros - wonderful, beautiful property, terrific food
Cons - spotty, non-consistent service, poor service recovery when issues are pointed out, if you don't tip up front, you won't get the best service, very poor wine selection

Took a short 4 day vacation to this property, received multiple upgrades which were really great but unfortunately some of the service made the excitement of this fade over time. We arrived around noon, knew we'd have to wait for 3 PM check in so wandered property, stopped at pizzeria for lunch (only poor food experience entire time). My wife only drinks white wine (non-Chardonay) and this was an issue our entire visit. Unless you want to pay more, expect Mexican table white or a very few other cheap white wine options.

Checked in at 3 PM, took over another hour to receive our bags. Dinner at Italian restaurant in Casitas area was wonderful but Belini bar upstairs had poor quality drinks, was a mess, and service was slow.

Our room was darker than we would have preferred but very big and well appointed. Loved the outside shower, loved the outdoor bed on the veranda (great napping spot). Probably would go for upstairs unit next time for more light. Our upgraded unit had a beautiful infinity pool connected to the wandering river to the pool. Only problem was the water was not circulating, was low, and full of dirt and trash, not appealing at all. They would come by each morning and clean the river but ignored the individual pools.

Best breakfast was at Las Islas for us, good mix of buffet and a la carte ordering and the outdoor view and seating was wonderful. Tried b'fast at asian restaurant once but was underwhelmed. Had dinner at Mexican restaurant (best food and service), the main restaurant (good food but not best ambiance), asian (very good). Overall, felt bars served watered down drinks, (but later found out if I had done a little tipping up front, that would not have been an issue). Several times, bars ran out of champagne for mimosas for my wife (and they made not attempt to go get some).

Room was not serviced several times and one time fridge was not restocked correctly.

Manager did stop by to discuss our concerns, seemed mainly focused on wine issue, attempted to solve some of the issues but overall recovery was hit and miss.

Our travel agent said we got a great upgrade, worth way more than what we paid but my response was that I would not have paid any more than we did for what we got and next time will probably go somewhere else...

Room Tip: Blocks farther out (31 and 32) are farther from action, plan to walk (because golf cart shuttles are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of recent experiences at the El Dorado Casitas Royale

The Standard check-in time is at 3:00 p.m. Every effort is made to accommodate early arrivals
In the event that the room is prepared earlier by our house cleaning staff, guests are able to enter their room immediately. Otherwise, our reception will offer to hold the guests luggage while they can enjoy our facilities without delay .

i'm sorry that you experienced inconsistencies with the servicing of your room and other aspects of our service. I'm happy to know that you were attended by a member of the management however it is disappointing that we were unable to make amends after this opportunity .

I will use your comments and feedback constructively in our continuous efforts to perfect our services.

Best Regards

Francisco Jorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went here for our honeymoon, and it was absolutely amazing. You are truly treated like royalty here. Incredible rooms, stunning grounds, phenomenal food, perfect service. I cannot even compare this resort to anywhere, as it is on it's own level. If you want an unforgettable vacation, this is your place. Splurge for the beach massage- it's completely worth it. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We got back from El Dorado Royale on Tuesday and I think the Holiday Blues will be with us for some time! By far my most enjoyable holiday I’ve ever had, loved every single minute of it.
My Title says it all...... Speechless.

The whole resort is on a different level of excellence.
We arrived to a smooth check in where your suit cases are taken to your room and you’re greeted with a drink. Every single staff member we saw would say hello and were extremely friendly.
Our room was very very clean. Great shower, awesome Jacuzzi, his and her sinks :). Bed was very comfy. Massive flat screen on the wall. It was very quiet and we slept a bit to well!

Breakfast was great. You could have whatever you wanted, fruit, cereal, bacon, egg, the list seriously goes on. They'll accommodate around you. I stuck with Salmon and Croissants mostly. It was like Christmas every day. Recommend the Mexican breakfast in La Isla, top marks.

Lunch was just as good. Very clean and well presented. Importantly very delicious. Many places to choose from inside the resort, including a healthy bar. There is a man that walks up and down the resort (mainly in Casitas, but all entitled) with his large grill trolley making Burgers and hot dogs. If you fancy grabbing something quick and want to be on the go, head to him. Very Very Very goooood! Also strongly recommend the Mexican restaurant. Not many people go there at lunch so it's peaceful and like everywhere else great food.

Dinner was on a different level. You'd seriously pay allot of money in London, which is where we live, for what you are given. Extremely well presented especially in the Italian Restaurants. Exquisite would be the word I'd use for the tastes we experienced. My family members are very much into their food, taste, presentation, far more than I am, and they couldn't fault it. We had one evening where we watched a pro chef cook in front of us explaining all and then we'd eat it. Bit different and good fun. I could go on and on about the evening food but there isn't enough hours in the day. Great service, great food, great presentation, very clean and the decor was top class.

24/7 room service. You can order various bits and it arrives in 20mins. Very lazy but you've got to do it. Wake up at 2am and fancy a burger.....? Just go for it, no one will judge you :)

Room fridge constantly stocked up and maids were so good.

You can do whatever you like. Be lazy? Be fit and active as there is gym on the resort? You can do many activities like painting, shooting, dance list goes on? I mainly stuck to being lazy and ordering drinks from the 10 swim up bar pools. This brings me onto the drinks. Everything is premium. None of this cheap vodka, whiskey etc that you may get from other resorts. I must say we got into a habit of drinking Champagne in the morning, Mid day and possibly in the evening! The champagne was very nice. If you’re a beer drinker, well this was pretty good as well.

Nothing better than sitting on the beautiful Jetty watching the sun go down while drinking champagne.

Beach was on your doorstep. The sand was fine. The sea was clear and some would say it wasn't far off like the sea in the Maldives. Fishes were everywhere and would come right up to you. Bit of bread from breakfast got the fishes in a right frenzy, great fun.

Many activities outside the resort. I did 2 man speed boating which was ten mins down the road. Best fun I've had.

One must has got to be making sure you go Xcaret. Ask anyone there about it.
I did walking on the sea bed with the fishes and under cave snorkelling. Great activities there for either the active type or lazy.

I suppose I'll sign off now. Before I do I just want to repeat myself by saying how great and friendly the staff are. For example. I proposed to my now Fiancée and I spoke to the lobby staff and they pulled out all the stops. For me they wrote in the heart shaped sand designs with dark pebles near the bar my message and organised more champagne and a Saxophone player.

Strongly recommend. Don't delay. Just book this place. You won't regreat it.
You may have read other comments talking about bad points, I can assure you these type of people are either blind, stupid or simply Arrogantly rude.

Want to go back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edwinstowe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Its an adult only resort.We had been to this resort in 2009 but stayed on the other side in a swim up suite. We loved it so decided to go back. We returned October 2012 We were anxious as sometimes when you return to a place you can be disappointed. This was certainly not the case. This time, to be different we stayed in a swim up suite on the casitas side. OMG!! What an experience.
ARRIVAL:
Driven in a buggy round to casitas private reception. Glass of champagne and refreshing flannel given. Fast and efficient and informative reception.
ROOM:
Large, airy with air conditioning. Plenty of wardrobe space. Very large, and extremely comfy bed.
Table and chairs as well as dressing table. TV. Mini bar that is stocked daily with beer, water, coke, fanta, juices and snacks. Large whirlpool tub with appropriate toiletries and towels.
Bathroom with 2 sinks, toilet and bath leading to outside private shower. Hairdryers in bathroom. Plenty of towels provided
Balcony is a good size with bed and table and chairs. Lace netting for privacy
Balcony leads out to private pool and lazy river. Both of which are kept immaculate by the pool man, who gets in the water and cleans the tiles with a brush as well as usual water cleaning. Hardworking man.
Room has housekeeping daily, as well as evening turn down service. Room was spotless. Maid made beautiful animals out of the towels.
Privacy respected.
T shirts and toiletries given to us for being returning customers.
Room service was efficient with food of an excellent standard.
RESORT
We tried all of the restaurants and bars and loved them. We found ample choice. We also thought the alcoholic drinks were strong enough, contrary to other people's comments.
You don't have to tip if you don't want to but we did. We did $1 for breakfast, $2 for lunch and $3 for dinner.
We found all staff to be kind, happy and more than helpful. Mind you, we treat them how we want to be treated ourselves. The way some guests treat staff is atrocious.
The resort is large with plenty to do. We loved walking. If you don't want to walk then a buggy goes past regularly. Some guests moaned about the size of the resort and having to walk. All I can say is, get a life, what else is there to do on holiday. The size of the resort meant it didn't feel squashed.
Swim up bars were fab. Great cocktails created by bar staff. Staff also came round with ice creams and lollies.
Beach was lovely and clean. The humps are not unsightly, and at the end of the day they are there to protect and enhance the reef.
Night entertainment was great.
SIGHTSEEING
We booked through first choice, so did our excursions with them. I recommend Tulum, Chichen Itza and Captain Hook. All fabulous.
We wanted to go shopping so the hotel arranged a taxi driver to take us to the shopping centre the locals use. The driver was ace. He parked the car, then took us up to where the shops were, he then arranged a time and meeting place to pick us up. The shopping centre was a 30 mins drive away from hotel. The taxi driver billed us $80. Well worth it. He also gave us loads of info on local area.
CHECKOUT
Fast, efficient and stress free
WEATHER
When we go it is the rainy season. The rain doesn't usually last long and it is still warm. The temperature is usually 25 - 30 degrees centigrade. The rain doesn't bother us though as there is lays plenty to do.
MOSQUITOS
The 2 times we have been, the first had loads of Mosquitos,and the second hardly had any. My tips are:
Take electric plug in mosquito vapour and switch it on at tea time in your room
Take anti mosquito wrist bands and wear if you go out for the day, and when your out at night
Take anti mosquito spray for clothes. If you're going on day trips then the night before you go, choose and spray clothes you will be wearing. In an afternoon choose and spray clothes you will be wearing for the evening
Take anti histamines, just in case
Take after bite pen, just in case.
TOUR COMPANY AND FLIGHT
Booked on line through first choice. No problems. Flew with Thomson. Recommend upgrade on flight to premium economy. It's fantastic. Comfy seats. More room. Quieter environment. Excellent service. Good choice of films.
SUMMARY
Absolutely loved everything about the holiday. Couldn't fault it. We have decided to go back there every other year. Would go every year but we want to try new places.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are ace. You have your own bit of private pool. All rooms are suites
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

On arrival there were 20+ guests all travelling for a friends wedding, the service was excellent. We were taken to our rooms and shown around. We went to all of the restaurants the resort had to offer. The Mexican was our favourite and the Chinese but no so much either of the Italians but that is just personal choice. The service could some times be extremely slow even of there were only a few tables full. We found being English they were not particularly bothered in being friendly or providing the service we would had expected for a 5*. The pool was lovely being a large group we did take up a large majority of seating but we did managed to keep the same spot for two weeks. The entertainment at night was brilliant until the singers came on after each show to perform a set which could be very dull as they tended to sing the same songs each night. The biggest draw back was in our block ( unfortunately I cannot remember the number) we had not only taken a lot of money in Mexican Pesos but also American Dollars for any excursions but my fiancé liked to keep track of the money and having been there for a week he counted up and we had been writing down what had been spent as you pay for additional extras at the end of your stay when checking out. Well this is when we noticed around £120 worth of American dollars had been taken and approx £50 worth of Pesos . My fiancé immediately went to reception knowing full well we had kept the money locked up and we definitely had not spent it. They came down searched all our room and advised they would do an investigation. After a couple of days we had not heard anything so my fiance contacted reception again who advised us nobody sent to be suspicious or admitted this so the case had been dropped. I personally went to reception and said we were not happy and after around 30 minutes negotiated a free candle lit dinner on the beach - better than the free bottle of champagne they were trying to fob us off with. The rest of the holiday was enjoyable and the wedding we attended on the beach was nothing but magical and romantic . The end of the holiday came and on the last night what should happen again but the father of the bride who was the only other person to stay in the same block as ourselves had found money missing from his safe !!! On going to reception he asked knowing full well our experience if anybody had ever reported an incident like this they said "No" I beg to differ !!!! So as we were flying home the following day they advised they would do an investigation and email him, 3+ months later and still no email. Stay at your own peril is all I can say lovely hotel but we would never go back

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment we arrived I was very pleased, I gave my name and they already had everything ready and while I signed in they sent somebody to get me and my wife drinks. When they took us to our room we were greeted by every employee we passed. The food was amazing! I would definatly recommend the swim up suit, it was so nice to have our own private area. I only stayed 5 days and didnt have nearly enough time to do everything the resort had to offer. I have already told all my friends how great it was and will be going back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: My room faced the garden and I would recommend an ocean view if you want more sun to come in.
Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at several resorts across Mexico and I can attest that none is better than the EL Dorado Royale Casita Suites. The food, service and Casita Suites are the best I have ever experienced. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The grounds are always beautiful and cleaned daily. The restaurants have excellent food and the bars offer a wide variety of drinks! I met people from all over the world and everyone agreed that the EL Dorado is the nicest place they have ever stayed. Just do not think that you will find anything better!

Room Tip: Pick a Casita pool side suite..you will not regret it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!