“A great option in the Riviera Maya” 4 of 5 stars

Amarte Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km. 51, Highway 307 | Solidaridad, 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #100 of 369 Hotels in Riviera Maya
Mexico City, Mexico
“A great option in the Riviera Maya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I went to this hotel for a wedding and I discover a great option to stay! It's a cheap option compared to others in this area, it has lovely rooms, great location and helpful staff. It is not seaside but they have a nice beach club. The only thing is that you have to use a lot of mosquito repellent since it is inside the jungle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luzani

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My partner and I staid at the Amarte resort for 2 weeks (end of May - beginning of June). We chose this hotel because of it's natural/authentic feel as well as it's relatively cheep prices for the area.

While the hotel isn't located directly on the beach - this was not a problem to us. Not only does the hotel offer free transportation to the beach, it also only takes about a 10-15 mins walk to get to the beach. For the most part we chose to walk there. During our walks we ran into a variety of local animals including crabs, turtles, coatis, iguanas, and basilisks just to name a few, which was very exciting.

The beach itself (named 'Lolita') was also a lot more naturally preserved compared to that of the neighboring hotels, it almost gives you a feel that you're on a deserted island. There were very few people at the beach (we were the only ones there for the most part). This however could be because it wasn't a busy tourist season yet.

While the hotel is located in a deserted area there is a convenience store and and a few restaurants on the premises for your convenience. Thus you don't need to travel away to buy meals or snacks.

We'll definitely be staying at Amarte again if we visit this area in the future!! Very happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elena P
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

"Amarte Maroma" is a breath of fresh air in a jungle of "all-inclusive resorts" at the Riviera Maya corridor, all the same with over-crowded beaches, and manicured gardens. "Amarte" is one of the very few hotels that strives to be in harmony with its surroundings and have a small ecological footprint. Once there, you will always feel that you are the only guest in the place. This feeling is created by the bungalows being like small islands in a sea of beautiful natural gardens. We felt in love with the "minimalist" architecture, the kindness and helpfulness of the staff--from the receptionist to the "always smiling" Frank, who was in charge of the beach club.

We used to run every morning from the hotel to the beach which is a couple of kilometres away. The beach was the highlight of our vacation, it is a beautiful, natural area and it was just for us!

On the value side you'll be paying far less of what you will pay in any of the neighbouring all-inclusives, and have an exclusive vacation instead of sharing the beach with thousands of tourists.

In brief, "Amarte" is by far one of the best places I have ever stayed.

Hans Herrmann
Marine Ecologist
Montreal, Quebec

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Hherrmann
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I got married here because the hotel has a lovely chapel in the most amazing beach that tops those found in Cancun and Playa, this is only accesible by free transportation provided by the hotel though. Staying here is for people looking for absoute peace and superb food.

As a non inclusive it can be a bit expensive but the food of its restaurant EL PAVOREAL is mouth watering. The staff is very helpul and super friendly, particularly Mr. Omar who was fantastic to us throughout our stay

There are no TV's or WIFI in the bedrooms as the whole point of staying here is to feel isolated and just relax. The jungle like premises makes you feel like you are far from civilization but with all the comfort you need in each room, however due to this fantastic jungle like feeling watch out for mosquitos and other insects. Insect repellent is a MUST to be worn during your stay here. I am the kind of person that always gets bitten first so for me it was imperative to use this everytime I was walking around the place, this guaranteed me a bite-free stay.

MY ONLY WARNING:
The only major negative of this place was to use its gorgeous beach as my wedding venue, my wedding was amazing and went smoothly but with a very expensive price attached, the main thing that you should know if you get married in this hotel's beach is that the hotel won't provide anything except for the toilet paper in the toilets. This meant that I had to rent everything from napkins to a whole power plant to provide electricity and lighting during my event.

The worst part is that not the hotel nor my wedding planner ever told me this before signing the contract with them for my wedding. I came to found out halfway through the organization process and this was such a big letdown as it meant that the cost of my event went completely out of the budget I established.

If someone had warned me about this I think I would have give it a second thought for using this hotel's beach for my wedding.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank alejandra2003
, Owner at Amarte Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
surrey england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have been at the Amarte for 2 nights now and the food in the resturant is excellent and reasonably priced. The staff are very helpful and allways say ola when they walk past. I would recommend this hotel for any occassion, they even put a container of insect repellant in the room, due to the jungle like location this is very much needed. This is a tropical paradise and has access the a lovely beach only avaialable via the free transport supplied by the hotel. I stayed in a bungalow room that has a thatched roof.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Keith2007
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

When my wife and I first decided to do a destination wedding in Mexico we assumed we would go to your standard all-inclusive resort. After looking at several, we came to the realization that they all were essentially the same. At the recommendation of our wedding co-ordinator we researched Amarte Maroma. As soon as we saw the pictures, we knew this was the place for us.
In a word, Amarte is ... BEAUTIFUL. Let us go into some detail about each aspect:

1. The property: Our entire party stayed in the Bungalows which are built into the Jungle. The grounds are naturally beautiful and incredibly well maintained. In fact you couldn't walk around the property during the day without finding someone sweeping and keeping it clean. While the resort is conveniently located directly off a major highway, you couldn't tell once you were inside. The jungle growth kept you feeling secluded. The architecture of the resort pulls off the perfect balance of looking new and modern but yet somehow still feeling authentic. The swimming pool is a good size and located perfectly in the middle of all the bungalows. Considering the entire resort consisted of our wedding party this made the pool the perfect spot for people to meet up at or for impromptu late night pool parties. Right outside the main restaurant (Pavo Real) there is a beautiful garden area and Art gallery as well. As far as the beach goes, it is so amazing that it deserves it's own section.

2. The Beach: I've been to other parts of Mexico and several different places in the Caribbean and let me tell you, Maroma Beach is far and away the most beautiful I have ever seen, and the competition is not even close. As you are walking up the path way through the jungle towards the beach your first sight of the water is breath-taking. You can't believe the different hues of blue. Truly incredible. The sand itself is soft and white and as clean a beach as I've ever been to. One of the most special aspects of the beach is that it is private to the resort. No running down at the crack of dawn to reserve a beach chair. Take your time and enjoy your morning because there is plenty of space for you whenever you get there. On the beach itself lies some incredible architecture. I can't stress enough how authentic it felt. There is a beautiful open-air chapel, as well as a stone terrace area that was absolutely perfect for our wedding.The only less than perfect part of the beach is that it is about a mile shuttle ride from the hotel. While this isn't ideal we found that the staff does a good job of accommodating the guests. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a shuttle down to the beach. Also, everyday when we were dropped off we either arranged for lunch to be brought to us or set a time for our return trip. Either way the staff was pretty prompt and flexible with our requests. In general, we found the trade off of having to shuttle to the beach more than worth it in order to enjoy both a private beach as well as the quiet seclusion of the jungle hotel setting.

3. The food: There are 2 choices on the property for food, The Pavo Real restaurant and a Burger bar. The burger bar was a new addition while we were there. It was very casual. The menu didn't have a lot of variety, but we thought the burgers were very good. This place was a nice change of pace if you just wanted to grab a quick lunch, or were looking to go casual for dinner. If you're looking for a challenge or want to feel authentic, try brushing up on your spanish. Not only was it easier to communicate with the staff in spanish, but I felt like they appreciated the effort on our part as well.

As far as Pavo Real goes, the menu was an interesting blend of Mexican, French, American, and seafood all rolled into one. I found every meal I had there to be very good. There was an excellent variety of options that made it easy to go back everyday and yet still feel like you had something to look forward too. However I had a tough time not getting the Chilaquiles con pollo y salsa verde for breakfast every day.....Amazing! Considering we were traveling with family, including some young children, the staff even created a secondary menu that included options for those who weren't looking for sophisticated fare. The decor of the restaurant was very tastefully done and included a piano and dance floor. Many nights there was live entertainment as well. The structure of the restaurant itself is beautiful with panoramic views of the property. I would say Pavo Real definitely compares favorably to a 4 star restaurant in the US, although considerably cheaper. One last note regarding Pavo Real. They make a mean Margarita!!!

4. Service: The staff provided very good service from the start and it only got better as our stay continued. Danny and Lilliana were both very good. They made sure all of our guests needs were being met. Mike, the General Manager was amazing. Mike keeps the entire place running at a high level. He couldn't have been better to us or our guests. Whether it was a quick 5 minute chat in the lobby while waiting for a shuttle, or stopping by your dinner table to make sure you were ok, Mike went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. By the end of our stay he felt like part of our family. As far as the rest of the staff goes; whether it was bartenders, waiters, or anyone else, they were all efficient, friendly, and enjoyable.

In summary, we feel as though Amarte Maroma was the perfect place for our wedding. Its natural beauty and incredible architecture mixed with a little old world charm was exactly what we were looking for. Throwing a destination wedding can be a very stressful experience. Doing it at Amarte somehow enabled us to still be able to unplug from the world and relax while pulling off an amazing event. If we could do it all over again we seriously wouldn't change a thing. The grounds, the staff, the food, the beach all exceeded our expectations. It's a wonderful feeling to know that as we start a lifetime of experiences together, we will look back on the beginning at Amarte Maroma with nothing but incredible memories. If you are looking for your typical "Vegas in Mexico" all-inclusive then Amarte may not be for you. However if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, and natural experience where you can go off the grid, Amarte should most definitely be your choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank JoeLogue
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

First let me just preface this with we were at this hotel solely because it was for a wedding which was to be held there. This would not have been a place I would have chosen myself so my review maybe more harsh than others but I did not enjoy my stay here. Also, we stayed in the hotel not the Villas. Given that statement here is my review of it both the Pros and Cons.

The hotel is a boutique hotel so its on the smaller side than most of the resorts you will find in the area. It is NOT a resort by any means way shape or form.
It is situated right off the main road coming from the Cancun airport. It is very easy to get to but because it is literally right off the road you can hear the cars going by through the day.
If you plan to stay here you MUST have a car. Its an absolute necessity so you are not at the mercy of the hotel or taxis.

Pros
The rooms are very clean and well maintained although one day they did not leave an extra roll of toilet paper so I had to call down when we ran out. We stayed in a garden room. We were going to get a junior suite but last minute decided against it. I’m so glad we did! Our room was larger than the suite. The only perk is supposedly a fridge in the suite. We just got a cooler and kept drinks cold that way.
The grounds are very well maintained and cleaned daily. There always seems to be staff around cleaning and making sure the grounds look nice.
Michael the manager is fantastic and VERY accommodating. He was great in helping to make this place better. Unfortunately when he is not around, the rest of the staff are not always as helpful or flexible (more on that later).
The food from Pavo Real is very good but limited (see cons).
The beach is absolutely gorgeous but….see cons
There is wifi in the reception area.`
The wedding area is gorgeous.
Because the wedding group had the hotel to itself, after the wedding the guests were all able to go swimming whereas most hotel pools close this one did not.

Cons
The location is awful. It is right off the major road so while the tropical garden feel is lovely you can hear the cars on the highway whizzing by. Plus it’s a mile from the beach and not a real walkable mile either.

The beach is not convenient to access. You need to get the hotel to take you and pick you up unless you have a car. They typically just use a car to run people back and forth and you have to know when you want to be picked up for return. One day they were 30 minutes late to pick up people from our group so they were left standing on the road for 30 minutes. That truly is not acceptable.
Additionally, there is no place to get food or drinks when you are on the beach. They state they have a stand but you have to order it ahead of time and they will pack a cooler to take with you. Most of the food you have to order from though is better eaten hot and not cold. You also need to think about how much you will want to drink (alcohol or water) and pack that as well. There are resorts near the Amarte beach but they are mainly all inclusive ones so you cannot walk over to and get lunch or drinks so there is truly only what you bring with you. People in our party asked if the food and drinks could be delivered at a later time and were initially told no but Michael heard this and allowed the food to be delivered as requested but had he not been there it would not have happened.
As I mentioned we were with a wedding so there was a good number of us and the beach did not have enough umbrellas or chairs to cover even half of us. I know when you go to all inclusive its first come first serve as well but there were really only a handful here.

The Pool area is so small. There is a small area where there are a few lounge chairs but they are mainly in the shade. There are mainly chairs in which to sit up in – who does that by the pool. There is little room to reconfigure the pool furniture either as the deck area is tiny. There is no food/bar service available by the pool. Finally after a few days of being there and some accommodations by the staff they would deliver food over to the pool which was much appreciated but it is NOT the norm. We ended up going out to get coolers and beer and sodas/water to have by the pool and beach and for late night.

Food –
First breakfast. It says a continental breakfast is included with the room rate. Our first day this consisted of a basket of bread and nothing else. We ordered from the menu as we wanted something other than bread and while the food was very good, my omelet was a one egg omelet. The next day it was huge…and my husband who ordered the same meal he had the day before (juevos rancheros) received almost a completely different dish. It was like 2 different cooks had different interpretations. As the days went on, the continental included fruit which was perfect but it took 2 days for us to get that. Overall breakfast was good.
Lunch – very limited – the pavo real has lunch but its gourmet and to eat heavy day and night is just too much. There is a burger place across from the hotel but its just burgers. They were good but one cannot east burgers daily. The lunch options provided for beach were limited. The people hosting the wedding asked for more options to be added and they were but this was after a few days of just 3 options. And had they not asked nothing would have been offered.
Dinner – we actually did not eat dinner here as we ended up renting a car and going into Playa del Carmen to eat. We also spent the day at the beach there where we had wait staff to bring drinks and what not as we needed. Highly recommend that. But I did hear great things about dinner and they hosted a dinner part of tacos and the food was amazing.

Rate - we had a wedding rate which came out to just about 220 a night. I just do not think the value was worth it given you can often bundle your flight and hotel and do much better at an actual resort.

The hotel does have potential but my guess is because they do not get the traffic they do not invest in it. There is an area that looks like there was once another pool or there was going to be another pool.
In back of the pool that is there, there is a room that would make a great bar/concession area.

The hotel is very quiet and can be relaxing but because there is so much work in other areas, it takes away any aspect of relaxation. If you do not like crowds, ease of access to beach, ease of access to conveniences, than this hotel is great but if you like your vacations to be easy this is not the place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends