“Something must have changed!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chacala
Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation
You added Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation to your Saves list
Mar de Jade #1, Chacala 63715, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chacala
Seattle, Washington
“Something must have changed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

And after arriving, soon found out that something must have changed. There are a few things to note about the stay. You are in rural Mexico, and they charge you in dollars, the drink menu is even in dollars. WE ARE IN MEXICO! If we wanted to go on a dollar vacation, we would not be in Mexico. That brings me to the cost. The cost to stay here at is by far the most overpriced place I've ever stayed in Mexico. All inclusive includes; your bed and breakfast, lunch and dinner (no dessert after lunch, only dinner). Since when did all inclusive become so limited for $150 per person in dollars PER day? And as for the bar, if you think about getting a beer or pina colada, you will have to wait until after noon when the bartender arrives. And then proceed to pay for your $7 pina colada in Mexico! In addition, while arriving to breakfast the last day, the salsa bowl was empty. I asked if there was any more salsa. The kitchen lady simply said NO, and walked away. So I asked the front desk lady, and she told me there was no more salsa. Here we are in Mexico, at a $150 per night all inclusive amazing facility, and there is no salsa, no expensive drinks when you possibly want one, on vacation and rude ladies to top it off.
What this all boils down to, is apparently the owners are usually there and the service is outstanding. While they are gone, it’s a different story. I really want them to know this information. I travel all over Mexico, my family is from Mexico. And I’ve never, never had this experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MardeJade_Chacala, Owner at Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations. We strive to make every guest feel comfortable and at home, and the staff usually goes out of their way to make this happen, as can be seen in the many positive reviews that mention this. At the time of your visit, it was unfortunate circumstances (a loss in the family), that caused several of the key operating staff to be absent at the same time. However, guest satisfaction is extremely important to us, so please know that we have taken steps to ensuring our guests have their requests taken care of regardless of who is responsible for attending to them at any given time.

We would also like to clarify a point about the rates, because it is standard industry practice to charge rates in US dollars at most hotels and resorts of coastal Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Maya, etc.). For international visitors, this generally makes it easier to understand the price and not have to deal with fluctuating exchange rates. You were already aware of this, however, because at the time of booking you were informed of the rate in dollars and agreed to it.
Most of our guests find our rates to be reasonable as they include 3 quality buffet meals, which are carefully prepared from scratch with many ingredients from our own organic farm (our food is not massed produced like most club-med all inclusives). As well as beach and pool facilities, access to a Spa with jaccuzzi, steam room and cold pool, and yoga halls with hardwood floors and ocean views.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mar de Jade at another time to receive the warm and attentive hospitality that we are known for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I really needed a trip where I could rest, rejuvenate and do nothing. Typically when I travel, I like to be out doing something most of the time. Mar de Jade was exactly what I needed to change that. I didn't have an agenda except for the two yoga classes per day for my retreat, and I loved every second of it. The beach is perfect, the pool is amazing (just the right temperature and size), and my view of the ocean was heavenly. I never once closed the sliding doors and loved sleeping with the waves crashing. The food was fresh and always delicious and perfect for a vegetarian - there were always plenty of options for me to eat. The staff went out of their way to make our stay perfect. There is something special about this place - I'm not sure if it's the people, the remote location or the magical spot with two great yoga spaces (soon to be three), but whatever it was, it made me never want to leave. I'm already thinking about when I can go back.

Room Tip: while my room did not have a balcony with chairs like many of the other rooms, it had a great view o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

What a great place to do absolutely nothing!

Or maybe... a swim in the ocean, a superb massage, a relaxing hottub, a walk over the beach to eat some great fresh fish over there. And then rest in your kingsize bed with the sounds of the ocean waving you into a sound sleep.

Which I've stayed here much longer!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am so happy to share my wonderful experience at Mar de Jade. I was there with Anna Beaumont on a Sound of Being Retreat. Anna's singing retreat was fantastic...and I am so happy that we spent our time at Mar de Jade! The staff was exceptionally warm and welcoming...eager to help you in any way. The room I had was beautifully decorated with a huge bathroom. The food and the meals were fantastic - flavours and some foods that I had not tasted but crave even now...several weeks later. They were very accommodating when it came to special dietary requests, so everyone was happy! The yoga studio that our group spent time in was glorious with a stunning view and sound of the ocean! In fact, I think that all the views, the beach and the sunsets were gorgeous!
I attended the daily morning yoga class offered there and found Anya, their yoga instructor to be remarkable. Tours are available and any transportation is arranged with no hassle at all. Thank you! Their spa was beautifully nestled in the property, the services were well done and it was a joy to walk to the spa and all around Mar de Jade, the beach and neighbouring areas. A wonderful place to rest, relax, heal and find joy!

Room Tip: Different rooms available so check out what is best for you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This lovely resort is about as close as you can get to Heaven on Earth. Ideal for a yoga or wellness retreat with lovely yoga rooms overlooking the ocean. What a pleasure to meditate and do yoga to the sound of the surf crashing below, or to finish an afternoon yoga class while watching an incredible sunset. While graciously catering to everyone's particular food issue, the food was always fresh, delicious, creative and healthy. Our room was very comfortable and we were able to peacefully fall asleep to the sound of the surf after a full day of yoga, whale watching, hiking or just reading a wonderful novel while gently swinging in a hammock. Weeks later I still feel the positive effects of this glorious retreat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is a fantastic place. I'm sitting at my desk wishing I was still there. I keep playing the videos we took of the waves crashing on the beach and the sun setting over the ocean horizon. We have a quote at the yoga studio where I teach "How beautiful it is to do nothing and rest afterwards." That was definitely the theme of our week settling into the hot tub at the end of each day spent swimming and walking along the beach, passing luxurious hours swinging on the hammock engrossed in a good novel. In some ways, I want to keep this place secret for fear it will become overrun with drunk tourists, but I think it's a place that will naturally attract mindful travelers looking for a place to unwind, meditate, do some yoga, and eat great food. Happy travels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Mar de Jade was fantastic, we didn't want for anything! The facilities are beautiful, perfect mix of rustic and luxury. The staff is so happy, and truly enjoy making your stay as perfect as possible, they feel like your friends! The food is awesome, the facility is so special, the yoga studio we used on the ground floor is gorgeous, and if you're thinking of going - GO! I look forward to my next visit, I will definitely be going back. For now, I look forward to going through my photos and making my memory book! Thank you for a week of pure joy!

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chacala
Hotel Decameron Los Cocos
Hotel Villas Sayulita
Hotel Villas Sayulita
#6 of 8 in Sayulita
4.0 of 5 stars 96 reviews

Been to Mar de Jade Retreats Wellness Vacation? Share your experiences!