“Nice view looking out from the room window..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Great International Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Great International Hotel to your Saves list
Great International Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 East Yanjiang Road, Yuancheng District, Heyuan 517000, China   |
Ranked #1 of 94 Hotels in Heyuan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice view looking out from the room window..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

That's it, as my caption says.

Everything else is very much average, if you do not have high expectations. If you have high expectations, then very likely it will be way below average.

Breakfast is typical Chinese style way of preparation, anywhere of a typical chinese standard hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The souless marble cavern that is the foyeur of this hotel is about as good as this hotel gets.

For dinner, as the buffet was over, we ordered from the menu. Food was pretty rank, poorly presented, timing of delivery very poor, beer glasses hot(!).

Breakfast area very smoky, even though early to breakfast, many of the stations were empty, vacated tables left uncleared..........overall, dismal.

Room Tip: If you dislike smell of smoke then make it very clear you want a room not used by others for smoking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Nice lobby. Rooms a bit small and the beds feel quite hard. They have a little stand right next to the sink in the bathroom that contains condoms and other things which I could not name. I thought that was an insult and sort of reminds me what types of people that this hotel caters to. Our nightmare took place in the swimming pool, where upon arriving, one staff said our (4 of us) swimming suits do not meet their standards, BUT he could offer us a discount if we buy from the hotel. We were very upset and declined his offer and asked to see a manager. He then went by the pool and spoke with a gentleman who was swimming and then came back to us and said "our GM said you are not allowed to enter the pool". We were extremely upset and shocked that this "5 star" hotel could treat guests in such a fashion, where they managed to have the four of us felt humiliated. PLEASE do yourself a favor by staying else where and avoid this place. They really lack the software. They regard themselves in the ranks of IC or Crowne Plaza but I would pick any Holiday Inn Express over this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

It's quite possible this is the best hotel in Heyuan but that does not mean it's a great hotel. It's typical of what is called a "5-star hotel" in China's smaller cities which means there's smoke everywhere including your room, the food is mediocre at best, guests regularly spit on the floor, and the staff really does not speak English at all.

I reserved a non-smoking room and all that meant was they removed the ashtray before I took my bags in. I complained to the staff so they brought a plate of cut up lemons to my room to "clean the air". It was difficult to sleep with seemingly all of my neighbors smoking heavily. It got worse when the crowds of loud drunk people returned to their rooms around 3am. Breakfast was another delight with barely acceptable food and the man sitting next to me hacking up huge wads of phlegm which he spat onto his plate in between drags on his cigarette. I understand that China is very smoking friendly, but the truly top-notch hotels keep it well ventilated and you can at least escape to your room.

To summarize, just set your expectations properly so you won't be sorely disappointed when you arrive at this "5-star hotel".

Room Tip: I was told that the 14th floor is the only non-smoking floor, so if you hate cigarette smoke as much...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

After reading a few reports on this hotel, I was really looking forward to a nice stay.
The initial impressions are good and I was expecting great things. I had a river view deluxe room which was suitable for me as I wasn't going to be there much. Broadband fast and no problems connecting or staying connected.
The fridge was not working properly and in spite of complaining, nothing was done. Communication is a challenge in the hotel as English is not spoken by many of the staff.
Breakfast was average with very little selection. Dinner was much the same with even less on offer in the buffet section. The one evening I never got any meat at all as this was finished and had not been filled up again. I ordered a beer with my meal which didn't arrive. I never queried it and was never charged for it until the next evening when it appeared on my bill! I was not interested in arguing about it as I knew it was futile. I duly paid and was relieved it was my last night there.
I had an issue with my laundry as well. The laundry form stated that laundry handed in by 12h00 would be returned by 18h00 the same day. If it was required earlier, then a 50% surcharge was payable. I need my laundry back the same day as I was leaving the next morning. I was told that to get it back earlier i would have to pay the surcharge. I luckily had a local with me who kindly argued with them and eventually we were told that it was actually ready and I could have it back immediately!
The one thing which got to me was the prevalence of smoking throughout the hotel. The lifts stink of smoke and even though I was on a non smoking floor, there was always a smell of smoke around.
I will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Well equipped hotel with everything you will need. Service is suprisingly good unlike other places in China. Location is pretty much center with a nice riverview.

Btw their logo looks similar to Sheratons' but must say it is a pretty good clone of it haha

• Stayed January 2012
Pacifica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

i stayed here for business in china and it is a nice hotel for the business traveler. the room is a good size. they have a nice desk space and surprisingly fast in room internet connection. the shower is amazing. the hair dryer is the most powerful i have had in a hotel in a long time!

the bed was large and very comfortable. they had both hard and soft pillows available. decent coffee was available in the room.

they have a buffet breakfast that includes asian and western choices. the only drawback is that they do not have an omelette station. i have enjoyed those in china before when i tired of noodles for breakfast.

my only complaint was the cleanliness of the carpets in my room. luckily i had brought slippers...!

otherwise, i would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a NON smoking floor!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Great International Hotel? Share your experiences!