“Awesome time at Ditholo Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ditholo Game Lodge to your Saves list
Ditholo Game Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Klippoortjie farm 564, Bela Bela 0147, South Africa   |
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Awesome time at Ditholo Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I would just like to extend my thanks to the team at Ditholo Game Lodge, Limpopo. I stayed at the lodge over the long weekend just gone by ( 22- 24 Sept 2012) and had such a lovely relaxing time. The management team and staff are awesome and so friendly and helpful. Again, congratulations on great service and a great team at Ditholo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ditholo L, Manager at Ditholo Game Lodge, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your incredibly kind words to us at Ditholo. You had "an awesome time". We in turn had an equally awesome time serving you and all of our guests.

A warm thank you.

Yolande, GP and the Staff at Ditholo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Yolande and GP were fabulous, both them and their team made me very welcome and comfortable during my stay. Even as a solo visitor I felt as though I was with friends.

GP was inspiring with his knowledge of local and national flora and fauna – enough to really inspire and ignite a keen interest in the outdoors. I was very fortunate to see a number of animals at the lodge, herds of wildebeest, giraffe, buffalo, hippo’s, eland, gemsbok, sable, waterbuck, impala, puku, blesbok, kudu, nyala, impala, warthogs, burchell’s zebras, the mesmerising giraffes not to mention all of the stunning birdlife.

I enjoyed the trip to the Mabula lodge for the big 5 and was lucky enough to see some rhino, baboon and elephants whilst I was there. I found out when I was there, that the lions are segregated to another area of the reserve with a selection of animals which is only visited of a morning. The large commercial presence of Mabula really highlighted how personal Ditholo was. I think I was really fortunate to experience both in this way. If I was to return I would definitely choose to stay at Ditholo, and do an early morning game drive at Mabula as a visitor. Most of what I saw at Mabula, I had already seen at Ditholo with the exception of those mentioned.

My husband was very jealous as I recounted my adventures of sitting by the huge warming fire of a night time and either sitting high on the observation deck or hiking through the beautiful sunshine of the day. Other guests took a buggy and drove around the estate, I was happy to hike and sit amongst the giraffes as they curiously and inquisitively inched closer, I found them completely mesmerising by the end of my stay.

As it was winter and the bushveld became thinner (great for being able to see the herds clearly) the food supply decreases and is supplemented by feeding and GP took me on a morning food drive. The animals clearly knew the difference between the game drive vehicle and the feeding buckey / ute. Seeing the change in animals like the buffalo needed to be seen to be believed; with the former it was like a dog with a postman – a game of chase, as soon as the buckey came out though it was like a different ‘calm & placid’ animal – I was less than 3 metres away and spellbound.

I can’t stop raving about it to my friends and I can’t believe I have so many stories to tell from a short weekend break. Morning coffee now that I'm back home just isnt the smae without that beautiful sunrise and watching the hippo's wake up.

This is certainly one place on my must return – highly recommend list.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Robyn,

A very warm thank you from Yolande, GP and all the staff at Ditholo. Ditholo to us is a very personal experience and we know we have succeeded in our task when we get such wonderful feedback from a newly made friend.(As every customer is to us)

Warm regards,

Yolande, GP and the Staff of Ditholo Lodge

Been to Ditholo Game Lodge? Share your experiences!