“I felt like we were living in a tree. Very cool.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Tortuga Village to your Saves list
Hotel Tortuga Village
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Km 66.5 | Costa del Sol, 1, La Herradura, El Salvador   |
San Francisco, California
“I felt like we were living in a tree. Very cool.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The Costa del Sol is a relaxed and very rustic sort of beach chic, so you have to bear that in mind when coming here.
The area around it seems a little sketchy-ish, but the hotel itself is quite lovely indeed.

The room were sort of like a cross between a treehouse and a yurt, but fun and very comfortable.

The pool was really pretty and the beach was right in front of you.

This is not a place that you would go for the amenities however. The wifi was spotty at best, didn't work at all actually in the rooms (I like to swing in my hammock which online which was not to be). And the food was just OK I'd say. Actually, the lobster spaghetti was great, but there was other stuff that wasn't so good.
And, there were dogs barking all night and other things that you get from sort of being out in the country. So just plan on that, and you'll be OK.

One thing we did get to do which was amazing was to release the endangered sea turtles to the ocean. I've always wanted to do that and it was so very cool.

We also went paddleboarding at the Bahia del Sol in the estuary, but it was sort of a lucky find since Tortuga Village had never heard of it, and it was only about five minutes away.

Just do your homework and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Erath, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Great intimate hotel right on a wide nice beach. 8 elevated bungalows with seating area/hammocks beneath. All bungalows around a beautiful central pool. Very comfortable beds. Only complaint would be variable hot water and pressure, seemed to be dependent on others using it at the same time. Never ran out of hot water, temperature just varied. Wifi only available near the office and it is slow, mainly only good for email and it wasn't available at all times.

The restaurant next door is great. I was with a group of 7 and over 3 days none of us had a bad meal. Service is very slow, but the view is great and the wait staff, especially Lucio, do a good job. No one really speaks any English, so some Spanish is really needed to communicate, although they have an english version of the menu. The cerviche's are excellent (they have numerous variations).

Room Tip: all rooms are good.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My fiancee and I were planning to end a week long vacation to El Salvador in Costa Del Sol. In doing online research we didn't find too many hotels that fit both our budget and taste. We actually went with another hotel because Tortuga was too expensive at $280+/night. When we got to the other 'hotel' we quickly realized we had made a huge mistake. We called a taxi and had him take us to Tortuga hoping and praying there was a bungalow available for our 2 night stay. Thankfully there were! Yes we had to move bungalows the next day but who cares?! They're all beautiful. And we actually got a better rate at $216/night with breakfast included, woohoo!
Tortuga Village in Costa Del Sol is an eco-friendly resort with all around very low impact in the environment. They even have their own preservation efforts of the turtle population in the area, so if you're lucky and happen to book on a very special night, you get to take part in the release of the baby turtles to the ocean!
From the very moment we became guests, the white glove treatment began. Our cabin manager, a very pleasant and poised young lady immediately took our bags and brought them up to our bungalow. #4 The Green Turtle. We were instantly transported into a dream world. Here was this beautiful, immaculately constructed, eco-friendly bungalow; the upstairs, holding the bedroom and bathroom, is adorned with crisp white linens, the light from the pool shining through the open windows, the smell of fresh air being circulated by a slow moving fan; the bathroom is open, airy, and natural. The downstairs is the living and dining room, and the view is direct to the up-lit pool. You can feel the wind blowing through the palm trees, and smell the salty ocean ahead. It is divine paradise.
As part of the white-glove service, and if the guest prefers, the staff take your breakfast order at night - nothing is written down - a soft smile leaves you feeling calm knowing you're in excellent hands.
The food is from the same kitchen as La Hola Beto the adjoining restaurant, with a ridiculously massive menu, and where thus far, everything we had was delicious and fresh as we had come to expect from the local cuisine. For breakfast I chose a typical El Salvadoran selection: scrambled eggs, refried beans (the best I've ever had), plantains, and two triangles of a local totally delicious semi-soft cheese. Rolls on the side. Delectable fresh squeezed juices: pineapple, or orange, or watermelon, or papaya grown in the area, fresh from the earth.
The property itself is composed of 8 bungalows, a center pool, a small spa on the beach sand, and the restaurant. It is ocean front with a massive lot of sand, so beautiful you have to pinch yourself you haven't died and gone to heaven. On our last day, we had a couple's massage inside the airy, bamboo made, beach spa - it was hypnotizing.
I will say there is no doubt I will be back to this property in the future. Yes it's a bit on the high end in terms of price for an up-and-coming tourist locale, but it's also very worth it.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter, they're all amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a beautiful and unique hotel with only 8 circular bungalows made of teak wood and on stilts. All bungalows are air conditioned with flat-screen t.v.s. The service is excellent, the rooms have a beautiful view of the incredible pool and ocean. The beach is so lovely and the restaurant serves delicious food. The ground floor has a hammock and a swing chair and a table with chairs where you can order food in or go to the restaurant. My husband and I liked it so much that we've taken every guest who has visited us to Tortuga Village and they all loved it. I highly recommend staying there.

Room Tip: They are all lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at Tortuga Village in late December over NYE and really liked the place. As English-only speakers, there was definitely an adjustment period, because there is indeed very little English spoken by the staff, but there were definitely a few members of staff who did speak and understand us, and they were very helpful and (since we stuck out like sore thumbs) would swoop in when we were awkwardly trying to communicate with someone else and help us out. We really appreciated the efforts of everyone to communicate.

There were a few hiccups, though, and they are worth mentioning. The wifi service was exceedingly poor throughout the property. We were staying in bungalow 3, which was only a little further than #2 from the wifi hotspot, and we basically got no service inside the bungalow. I know, it's supposed to be a vacation, but staying in touch is important for me, so I basically had to give up hopes of that. No service in the area where you would eat most meals, no service on the beach, no service in your bed at night. I spoke to the owners (who were really helpful to us on the two days they were there) and they did say they knew of the problem and intended to fix it, but as of Jan 1, it's not working. And even when you went to the wifi hotspot, service was very very slow, good for only email really, not for skype or anything of the sort.

The area around the hotel was also very rough. I did go out a few times during the day and was in no danger, but you definitely aren't going to want to go out at night because of the lack of lighting for probably 200 yards outside the gates. You can, however, get a SIM card from that local neighborhood, if you need one. I was able to get a SIM for my iPhone (full size SIM only) and get 2 GB of data for $15 or so through an online vendor called ezetop.com. I tried calling the provider of the SIM card but there was no english spoken, so that ezetop is a site I'll be bookmarking for future travels. Lets you send credit to a phone anywhere in the world on any provider, without having to deal with the local language.

Things we wish we had known:
--that they will bring you ice happily, so we could have saved some walks out to the local hood to fill up our cooler.
--There is an excellent supermarket about 90% of the way to the hotel from the airport (maybe 35 minutes) on the left side. If you want to stock your room with snacks and drinks, this is the place to stop.
--On the way home at the San Salvador airport, they will take EVERYTHING out of your carry-on bag and examine it. Don't bother folding your stuff, check your "toys", and just plan on seeing all your stuff over again after you've packed it. Blame the TSA.
--During check-in, they literally acted like they had never heard of us and that we were not in their system at all when we gave them our names and dates. This is a hotel with only 8 units! Only after we pulled out our confirmation email with #, did they "find" our reservation. We were more than a little alarmed.

The restaurant was indeed pretty good. We ate a lot of shrimp and a lot of avacado cocktail (aguacate in espanol). I found the sole on the menu excellent. I'd skip the local beverage specialty which consists of a glass of Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce and lime juice, over which a beer is poured. Gross. They love it though down there. Food ordered by hotel guests seems to get a 10% discount, though we only figured that out on the last day and we're still not 100% sure.

The water temperature thing that others have mentioned was not a big issue for us. Yes, the water can vary from quite hot to lukewarm, but for the most part it stayed within normal range, and we never actually ran out of hot water which would be the bigger problem.

The television... you get VH1 and CNN... the rest is in spanish. So don't count on passing any time with the TV unless you BYO entertainment and cable.

I think that more than covers it! Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Only room 2 and 3 would have any chance of wifi, at least until they extend it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited El Salvador for a wedding and staid almost for almost two weeks. For the later portion of the stay we staid at the Tortuga Village Resort. I have to say it was one of the highlights of El Salvador for us. It was absolutely perfect in every way when you think of a 'tropical vacation' setting; poolside grass hut bungalows that are also a couple steps from the beach and ocean, service was prompt and attentive to all our needs, and the seafood, harvested fresh daily out of the ocean, was to die for. If that wasn't enough, our timing was impeccable and we were lucky enough to be present for the hatching and release of a bunch of baby sea turtles one morning! It was almost too perfect....surreal.

The only negative (if you want to consider it a negative) is that you have to brush up on your Spanish if you aren't fluent or don't have a translator as the staff spoke primarily Spanish and very little English.

Room Tip: There are only 8-10 bungalows that only differ slightly in the number / size of beds included. All o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently just visited El Salvador for two weeks. I am a native from that country and it had been 16 years since the last time I was there. I have to say I WAS HIGHLY IMPRESSED by everything this country has to offer. I spent 2 nights at Tortuga Village with my family and we had an amazing time! The food, the staff, the 2 story bungalows we stayed in were AMAZING! Hands down I recommend this place to everyone. I definitely plan on coming back to the place and spending the night here again.

Room Tip: Get a two story bungalow! Also, order a "beach side massage".
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Tortuga Village? Share your experiences!