The Gold Coast Tourist Bureau recommended this property to us. I don't know why. We were told this was a very family friendly hotel, which was very important to us because we have a small baby.
Here are just a FEW of the problems with this place:
1. There was NO service at all. You have to pay for any additional amenities. There were only two towels in our room, but we had a baby. If I didn't complain, they would have made us pay for the extra towel I needed for the baby. Also, they did not bring the towel to our room, I had to get it from reception. If you wanted fresh linen, as the room is not serviced until after you leave, you had to pay for the extra linen. How ridiculous! You have to buy your own toilet paper, tissues, soaps, dishwasing liquids and powder as they would not supply anything.
There are no porters to help with your luggage. We have a baby with a pram and had to carry all our bags up flights of stairs. There are no lifts at this property at all. How can you call this suitable for families. If you book a room on the third floor you have to carry your luggage up three flights of stairs. It is terrible.
We wanted to have late check out, e.g up to 12pm, but to do so we would have had to pay an extra $50, even though no one was checking into our room after us that day.
2. I specifically asked for pools suitable for small babies when I sought advice from the Tourist Bureau. All the toddler pools at this place were freezing. We had to spend the whole time in the spa as all the other pools were too cold for the baby.
3. There were a number of things not working in our room, i.e, TV remote, air conditioner knob in the bedroom was broken and the air conditioner in the living area had not been set to cooling, it was still on the heater for winter, but it was 28 degrees outside!
4. The bed was very old, you could feel the springs, and there was no support. The pillows were very flat and worn out. The towels were old.
This was definitely not a 'Resort' and certainly not 4 1/2 stars, more like 2-3 stars. The only thing 41/2 stars about this property were the prices of the food at the cafes there and the accommodation prices.
We do not recommend this place to any family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turtle Beach Resort provides premier family accommodation set in a 10 acre sub-tropical oasis, located at Mermaid Beach on Queensland’s famous Gold Coast. Truly a home away from home, the resort offers spacious one, two and three bedroom fully self contained apartments. From the moment you are welcomed in the tropical setting of our open-air reception area, you know your family is in for a new level of holiday fun. Imagine you and your family enjoying lagoons and lap pools, pool slide, floodlit tennis courts, a putt-putt course, children’s playgrounds, fitness room, arcade games rooms, a resort mini cinema and several dining options. Other facilities include 9 complimentary BBQ’s, private airport and theme park shuttle buses, a fully equipped tour desk and the Club Turtle Kids Club. Over past years, Turtle Beach Resort has won state and nationwide awards: Top 4-Star and Over Resort and Top 10 Family Resorts in Australia, Holidays with Kids; Deluxe Accommodation finalist, Tourism Australia Awards; Deluxe Accommodation winner, Tourism QLD Awards; Winner Certificate of Excellence Award 2012, Trip Advisor ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Turtle Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach Hotel Mermaid Beach
- Sands Turtle Beach Hotel
- Sands Turtle Beach Mermaid
- Turtle Beach Resort Gold Coast/Mermaid Beach, Australia