“Some good meals, 1 disappointing, poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Southport, Australia
“Some good meals, 1 disappointing, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

SUMMARY: Disappointing service, some meals were good and one was too Oily

Went here for dinner last with high expectations and a recommendation. On arrival the restaurant looked good and we were promptly seated.

Service: Our waitress was wearing black mini-shorts, a black shirt and cardigan. The cardigan was longer than her shorts which revealed at least 70% of her thighs. I'm used to such clothes on the gold coast streets but was a little shocked to see such revealing mini-shorts worn by staff at even a casual restaurant. No offer or effort was made to explain the specials.

Beverage service was good.

Entree of natural oysters and scallops were both delicious and well presented.

Mains were delivered in good time. My partner had the roast duck which was also delicious and well presented. I had the Spaghetti Aglio Olio - seafood /w spaghetti, chives, chilli, garlic and olive oil. It looked nice with lots of seafood but it was swimming in oil. It had good flavour and the seafood was delicious but i spent most of the time trying to drain off the oil. there was at least 1/3 a cup of oil in the dish. No waitress came to ask how our meals were. I took a photo of the oil left after I'd finished eating. It really was too much and left me feeling sick. I'm sure oil is not considered a sauce in italy, even if infused with nice chili and garlic flavour.

At the end we went to the bar to pay and when asked how everything was, I replied the pasta was exceptionally oily. The reply was 'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh'. Nothing more. I wasn't sure in the end if that is how the dish is meant to be, but I wouldn't recommend that dish to anyone.

In the end, some of the food was really good and reasonable value but with poor service and a dish that left me feeling ill and disappointied, I probably wouldn't recommend or return here with so many other better restaurants around.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wayne R, Owner at Milan Restaurant on Main, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing Milan on Main and also for your thorough and balanced review of the business. I would like to start by unconditionally apologising for the poor service you received on the night. I would also like to apologise for the one meal not being to your satisfaction.

We have a great reputation for service and the quality of our food and I find it disappointing when customers have a less than exceptional experience. I have addressed all the issues you have raised with my team and this all helps us improve on our business for the future.

I am hoping that you will give us a second chance. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. You can contact me direct on contact@milanonmain.com.au to discuss the issue further and hopefully come to a mutually pleasing arrangement. Hope to see you back soon.

All the best

Wayne Ralph

Sydney, Australia
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is very popular, almost full for weekday breakfast which turned out to be a good sign. Food was delicious and service was good. We will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wayne R, Owner at Milan Restaurant on Main, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thanks very much for helping make Milan on Main a popular place for breakfast. Apart from the usual fair we do a few different dishes at breakfast time and this has created more interest in Milan, at a time where breakfast is becoming a more popular dining option. Our juices and smoothies are always good and very popular and we make one of the best coffees on the coast.

During the winter mornings it is such a good spot as it gets the morning sun. Just great sitting out there and enjoying a great coffee with breakfast. Looking forward to seeing you back at Milan in the near future.
Manly, Australia
“Great lively restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely evening on what must have been one of the Gold Coast busier nights - the eve of the Gold Coast Marathon.
We had a table of 10 including children and grandparents and the staff looked after everyone in a very friendly manner.
The quality and quantity of food was great - I had the Spaghetti meatballs and it was definitely the most meatballs I have been served in this dish.
Thoroughly enjoyed the evening - which is more than I can say about the race the next day.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for supporting Milan on Main and for the lovely review. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service. We often cater for larger groups and always welcome the children. The team enjoy the larger groups as it adds to the liveliness of the restaurant.

The GC marathon weekend is always busy and it is so disappointing for us when we can't seat everyone. On the night we had to show so many customers away as it was just impossible to cater for the large demand. We always recommend to customers to book for Dinner especially as we fill-up most dinners even during weekdays. Weekends we are almost always fully booked for dinner. Hope to see you back next year for the GC Marathon.
whangarei
“Wonderful dinner for two”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at an apartment just around the corner from Tedder Ave. Milan Restaurant was recommended to us and I have to say we had a wonderful meal here. We didn't have a booking and I think we were very lucky to arrive at the time we did as this restaurant filled up with other diners very quickly. The menu had so many wonderful dishes to choose from, it made it very hard to decide what to have. I will admit we had three courses each and each one was excellent. Our waitress was lovely, she looked after us very well. What impressed me the most about this place, there was a large group of about 8 to 10 people having dinner and they were a little crammed up as the place was full but as soon as another group left they shifted them all to a bigger table, they didn't have to do it, but it was nice to see good customer service being provided. While staying at Main Beach we ate at four different restaurants and I have to say Milan was our favourite. We will be back in the Gold Coast at the end of the year and will definitely be going back to Milan. I think we will book in advance as this restaurant is very popular.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for your lovely review of Milan on Main. We have a great passion for what we do at Milan and I believe that we have the best team on the coast. As Milan is a small restaurant we are able to make the overall experience more personal and create a welcoming and warm environment.

We do fill-up very quickly and it is recommended to book especially for dinner and most meals over the weekends. We are looking forward to seeing you back at Milan at the end of the year.
“Such a nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had dinner for 8 on 2 July. A friend recommended Milan and it was worth the visit. We had the $45 dinner special which includes two courses and a glass of wine, and the best thing was that we could choose any options from the menu. No catches or pre set meals. Even the wine list is open to choose from, so you do not have to go with the cheap sugarwater.

Great value, definitely recommend for groups. We were well looked after even though the place was fairly busy. The surrounding restaurants were not busy, but Milam was.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thanks very much for your kind recommendation. Our dinner specials have become very popular for the very reason you mention in your review. We leave it to our customers to choose the meal combinations and wine or beer of their choice. Hope to see you back soon and thanks again for taking the time to review Milan.