“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast

You added Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast to your Saves list
Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   71 Seaworld Drive, Main Beach, Queensland 4215, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Up to 50% Off!
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Main Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife are frequent stayers at this property, and each time it just keeps getting better and better and...............................BETTER! Our stay from 13/6-16/6 was to celebrate my birthday. Upon arrival and finding a park in the large free underground carpark we ventured up to the lobby and soaked up the relaxation as we looked out of those huge panoramic windows across the pool and out to the ocean. Just fantastic. Check-in was quick, efficient and the Duty Manager Thomas even went of his way to come outside and welcome us back (thanks Tom.....was great to see you too!).

Upon arrival at our room (3100) there was a birthday surprise of balloons etc waiting for me which my wife had organised through the team here. She told me the story of how she did it and was so excited that what was left more than exceeded her expectations! A bottle of champers was waiting in which we indulged sitting on the ledge of our wide opening window overlooking the surf.

Now to the room........like most here at the resort, clean, open, spacious. What more could one ask for? The Sheraton beds are so comfy that sleeping is not a problem! We went for dinner at Terraces and like always brilliant. When I made my way to the carvery Chef Rob was already slicing my pork and preparing my crackling.......ummmmmm maybe we come here too often if they know me that well! (and keep on coming back we will!). The staff in the restaurant prepared a small tasting plate of desserts and a candle to wish me happy birthday! Just before our departure the F and B Manager Mr Elakis came and wished me a happy birthday and invited us to the refurbished Pearls Bar for a cocktail. Let me say the rejuvenated Pearls Bar is brilliant! A diverse range of seating from barstools to lounges....it was great. The local mixologist David created us two drinks which were amazing. So amazing we made Pearls a regular stop each night we stayed!

Breakfast at Terraces like always was great. It's worth noting that if you are a SPG member that the prices are heavily discounted during the winter months. Well worth it!

From Friday 21/6 we stayed at the resort for another two nights to celebrate our anniversary. This time we were allocated room 2051. This room had a resort view and was extremely spacious! Once again the bed was a dream and the room well equipped with everything we needed. Thank you so much for the champagne to help us celebrate! We again went to Terraces for dinner. Due to the rotating menu there was no pork this time! Oh well, the ham was still yummmmmmy.  John, our waiter was right on to it. He didn't miss a beat and I over heard others in our area also comment on his nature and attitude. Well done John!

As part of our anniversary I treated my wife to a spa experience at the Golden Door. She said it was absolutely amazing and I am glad that it was money well spent!

It is worth noting that the lagoons are currently undergoing a major refurbishment. However, staying consecutive weekends it is easy to see the progress that has been made and it will be great to see the finished product on our next visit in October. Though the facilities are wonderful, it really is the warm nature of the staff that put this place into a whole new category. Some may say....."well that's their job"......in that case, they do it super well!

Thanks again team.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Nathaen

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review on your recent celebration stays.

Your continued very public support of our resort via your on line surveysis so appreciated, as is the time and trouble you have taken to share your June experiences in such detail.

We look forward to seeing later in the year. Till then….warm wishes to you both…and our sincere appreciation…from the Sheraton Mirage team.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Mirage Resort for 8 nights in a studio spa room. The room was quite spacious and the bed very comfortable (King size). Even though the resort has been operating for quite a few years they have obviously kept the interiors up to date with modern styling; it didn't feel like an old building at all. The resort is in a quite location, right next to the beach. Ample parking underneath. Unless you are going to catch taxis or have tour buses pick you up from the resort I would recommend hiring a car if you stay here (which I did). It's about 4 kilometres from the centre of Surfers Paradise.

There's a shopping centre across the road and a few other restaurants and pubs nearby, however I recommend having the breakfast buffet at Terraces at least once - it's amazing and there are special prices for meals there at the moment.

They are doing resurfacing works on the lagoons throughout the resort at the moment. I booked my room through a third party website which didn't mention the renovations, however I received a courtesy phone call from the resort beforehand. They explained that the renovations only occurred between 9am - 4pm Mon - Sat and that the rooms right next to the works weren't being used for any bookings.

I found for the majority of my stay that the renovations didn't cause a problem. Even though there were workmen walking around the resort before 9am, they remained quiet and respectful. Unfortunately this wasn't the case on the last morning I was there. I was woken by loud talking and works outside my bedroom at 7.30am (I was on the second floor). I also had a problem with ants invading my original room, which after a couple of days resulted in me being moved to another room. And I had a small issue with some of the TV channels.

I suppose there's always going to be a small issue wherever you stay but it's the way those issues are handled that sets a good quality hotel apart. The service is where the Sheraton Mirage excels. All the staff are highly professional and treat you with a warm respect. They are open to any issues that you report and bend over backwards to resolve them. So even though I had a few issues I felt that they were handled extremely well so it would not stop me staying there in the future. In fact I'd stay there because of how well they were handled. Nowadays it's so rare to get good customer service that when you receive great service, as I received at the Sheraton Mirage, you can't help but be impressed.

I highly recommend this resort to anyone wanting a special weekend away or a longer stay. There are some great deals available on third party websites that make a stay here very affordable so there's no excuse not to try it out. At least if you book here you don't have the worry of "have I chosen the right place". I couldn't think of staying anywhere else when I next visit the Gold Coast. If I did stay somewhere else I could imagine myself thinking, "It's not as good as the Sheraton"!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The gardens next to the 1st floor rooms can result in ants or ot...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Jon,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your long stay here on the Gold Coast last month, and for sharing your experience with this post. It was such a pleasure to read your detailed and insightful review, and our team very much appreciates this wonderful recommendation of our facilities and service.

Please accept our apologies for the issues with the ants though, and particularly for the disturbance by workmen on the last morning of your stay. This is completely unacceptable as a relaxing and restful environment should be a given here at Sheraton Mirage. Our Chief Engineer is sharing your comments with our contractors to be sure your experience, isolated as it was, does not recur.

Jon, many thanks again for staying with us, and for your wonderful review.

Warm wishes
Mark

PS The aerial photo of the resort is fabulous…did you take this shot yourself? It is reminiscent of the promotional images of the resort and beach around the time of opening (September 1987)..with lots of changes of course in the surrounding area.
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

if you do not have a car this hotel is not for you. Not bad service but overall a little disappointing. Because it is so far out of town unless you can afford unlimited taxi fares it makes it prohibtivie. It is right down near the Spit with no outlook whatosever.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Contributor

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Mirage, and for posting a review on your April stay.

The support which local residents such as yourself extend to our resort is appreciated by all of our team, as is the time you have taken to share your thoughts on the resort, and our location.

Warmly,
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My partner and I went up to Brisbane for the Lions tour and stayed at the Sheraton for 2 nights. Hotel was excellent from the moment you stepped in. Beautiful styling and warm and welcoming staff. We were very pleased with our room - spacious, modern and just great to relex in - 2 thumbs up for the bath tub. Breakfast was excellent - great variety and good quality. The seafood dinner was good, but not brillaint when comparing to other Starwood hotels - there could have been more variety in seafood available, for example cray fish which seem to be pretty standard every where else.
I was very impressed with the fact that we were given the option to use our Starwood points for various services - taxi, message, cocktails, or to reduce our bill. This is the first time we have had the option avalable to us in any Starwood hotels we have stayed in across the world.
There are two swimming pools with the hotel - one is right behind it which looked lovely and had a pool bar. The other seems to be part of a beauty spa that hotel guests can use. Not impressed - DATED, and honestly looked like a fungal infection was waiting for you. In my opinion, the hotel should not affiliate itself with this pool as it brings the hotel down.
The only feedback in regards to service that I can provide is do everything you can to check your guests in early - great way to win your customers over. We arrived at the hotel at 9:30am. It was freezing cold and raining non-stop. Check in was 2pm. We were told our room was vacant, but had to wait for the cleaners to go through it. Just after 1pm our room was ready. Anywhere else around the world, they would have sent a cleaner to your room IMMEDIATELY and had you checked in within the hour. Australian 5 star hotels can really learn from international 5 star hotels in this regard - it is always about the customer!
Overall, would recommend this hotel and will definately return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Vessi

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Mirage as your preferred accommodation for your visit for the Lions v Australia game in Brisbane. We are delighted that overall this was a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Your arrival day experience however is regrettable, and most disappointing to me as General Manager as we are usually very responsive….particularly when a room is vacant…….to early check in requests. Our Rooms Division Manager, Charles McArthur, will share your comments with his team. If you would like to provide more detail in this regard, please reach out to Charlie direct. I can assure you any further feedback would be appreciated and used in a positive way in Charlie’s follow up with our team member who handled your check in.

The comments you have provided regarding the pool at The Golden Door is also well taken, and has been passed onto the Management at the Spa. I am pleased to also advise that our resort owners, and The Golden Door operators, are working together in an effort to bring about the required improvements to this facility.

Vessi, thank you for the time you have taken to post on your stay. We look forward with pleasure to welcoming you and your partner on a return visit…hopefully in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

You generally know what you're getting with Sheraton and this hotel did not disappoint but it is well worth paying the extra for an ocean view room. Guests with mobility issues may have trouble because of the layout of the hotel - it is a long walk from most of the rooms to the lobby and the restaurants. The room was well appointed, spacious and comfortable. It was surprisingly noisy in the room when other guests walked past talking or housekeeping was in the corridor as well as the plumbing from neighbouring rooms showering etc so not ideal if you like to sleep in in the mornings. A couple of issues with the service level at the price point were not having enough staff on the front desk at 3pm (peak check in time) and only having part of the Terraces restaurant open at breakfast on the weekdays. The section available on the weekend was nicer and not being crammed in was a more pleasant experience. Having said that the breakfast was excellent and the front desk staff were very courteous and professional once I finally reached them.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi Kay,

Thank you for sharing your Sheraton Mirage experience. It was good to have you with us, and we appreciate your insights which have been shared with our team, and particularly with our Food & Beverage and Rooms Division Managers in relation to your experience at Reception and Terraces. We apologise for the delay you encountered at Reception. That’s not acceptable when holiday time is so precious.

We all hope you will return to us when you are next planning a beachside getaway.

Warmly
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent a week at the Mirage in January. We had booked one of the 'Villas' which were situated next to the main hotel building. The Villas were self contained apartments. They were well appointed and included all the luxuries you would need.. laundry, two bathrooms, full kitchen, balcony. We had a villa close to one of the pools, which was a small private pool for the villa residents. This was nice to be able to have a swim in a quiet area, and be able to find a chair and sun lounge with ease. Of all the days we swam there, we only had company on of one of the days in the private pool. The main pool was a bit disappointing. It was so small for such a huge resort. We managed to find sun lounges on most days, even if we had to keep a lookout for a while to secure a good spot. The usual thing happens here too.. people leave towels and magazines on chairs and sun lounges and go off for lunch or a swim at the beach so sometimes you are left waiting around for a while for a seat. Bar staff and pool staff were quite good and removed towels etc where people had obviously left for a while. The beach is literally 20 steps from the pool, so it was nice to be able to go for a swim in the ocean and then a dip in the pool. The resort grounds are nice, even though the lagoon that surrounds the main building could do with a bit of a clean up. Such a shame that you can't swim in the lagoon.
Parking was great.. we had a secure under cover car park for right under the villas so getting in and out was easy. Overall a nice place but still in need of a bit of an update... even though it has had a decent facelift. The Marina Mirage is across the street so you'll find an assortment of restaurants and a few shops. A low key shopping mall with a few nice shops. Sea World is within walking distance, and the Versace is across the street.

Room Tip: If you go for one of the Villas, ask for one facing the lagoon.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sheraton Mirage Guest

We really appreciate this detailed review on your January stay with your family. The villas are at their busiest during our holiday seasons, and we are delighted you enjoyed the family friendly features which this apartment accommodation offers, in addition to the ready access to all resort facilities and services.

We’re very pleased to advise our lagoon upgrade is now underway, and with an enhanced treatment being utilised, these water features will look more beautiful than ever.

Many thanks again for the time you have taken to share your Sheraton Mirage experience in such detail. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back on a return visit before too long.

With warm appreciation
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel is dear to me as I had my Year 12 graduation there back in 1991, it was THE most luxurious hotel back in the day, but that was over 20 years ago and this poor hotel is indeed feeling tired by the glitz of the GC. I understand they have undergone a 'refurbishment' but i'd call it more a refreshment.
Here are the pros and cons when considering your stay at the Sheraton on the GC.
Pros
1. Close proximity to Marina Mirage, it's nice to walk across the bridge for great coffee at Diva and lunch at the new Providore. Shopping isn't amazing, but it's a small centre not a Robina Town megalith.
2. We had a room right on the beach Room 2048, gorgeous to open the windows and hear the crashing waves. No other hotel will have you right on the beach.

Cons
1. They are currently doing MAJOR works on the lagoon that snakes throughout the entire resort. I wasn't made aware of this till AFTER i paid, had i known prior we would have stayed somewhere else. We would often have to walk through plumes of concrete dust whilst they grinded back the concrete to get to our hotel room. Romantic. It's ugly. period.
2. The beds was absolutely terrible. Apart from the fact i booked a King, my husband and i were given 2 twins, again soooooo romantic. I went to bed on the first night feeling fine, woke up at 4:30am and couldn't move having put my back out during the night. I spent that saturday of my 3 day holiday looking for a chiropractor. Excellent. The pillows are unsupportive and your head continually sinks to the mattress. Upon complaining housekeeping placed a board under the mattress and gave us more supportive pillows, the next nights sleep was just as bad and we dreaded the next few nights till we could leave.
3. The towels. Come on guys you are a 5 star property, i've used better towels at 1 nighter airport hotel in Singapore. Forget white and fluffy here, you will get stiff, lightweight old towels at the Sheraton GC.
4. We never ate at the restaurant as the internal pool was also drained and it smelt a little like chlorine. Not appetising.
5. Lack of staff. Seriously where are all the staff?? Everytime we left and came back there was no one to greet us, no porters, no front desk. There was just a feeling of desertion, like nobody cared that we were even there. It's just nice to get a feeling of welcome when you are there for a few days not just on check in. Back in the day the bar was so popular with music playing, it looked so uninviting now we never went for a drink.
6. Security. We were shocked that anyone can just walk in off the beach and gain access to the hotel/pool etc. The people swimming with you probably aren't even guests, just locals having a dip after their daily walk. Anyone could just walk straight into the hotel and knock on your door. There's no swipe card needed. you are only required to swipe your card to call the lift from the carpark. Not good security at all compared to Versace.It made us feel uneasy.
7. Room 2048 - there is a kiddies wadding pool just outside the room. Forget a quiet afternoon nap it's not going to happen.

i think overall they are trying to give this property a badly needed make over, as she is very tired. But we'd rather have a great nights sleep in a terrific bed with pleasant staff that were actually visible. This hotel has such potential to be one of the best hotels on the coast again, Starwood just need to show it the respect it deserves. And for god sake close the hotel if you need to undertake major renos as no one if going to enjoy staying there whilst this work is being carried out.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North Wing facing the ocean but NOT the pools are best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Recent Guest

We were touched to read your post and know our resort was dear to you, but then most concerned to read of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay. The time you have taken to review your return in such detail is appreciated, and your insights and comments have been shared with all of our team. We are grateful also for the direct feedback which was provided by your husband.

Your comments regarding our lagoon works and how disappointing this was is completely understandable, and we agree that the ambience of our beautiful resort is affected by these works which had to be scheduled at short notice due to a major leakage into our car park. Notification of the works was listed on your booking website in May (as soon as scheduled) and could be accessed via the “Read More” link on our listing.

The issues you experienced with the bedding in your room is perplexing to us; all beds in the hotel are Sheraton Sweet Sleepers for which we receive almost universal positive feedback, and our Rooms Division Manager personally checked both beds after your initial feedback and could find no deterioration in either bed. Your feedback in this regard is quite clear though, and whilst we do not have an explanation, we are very sorry for your discomfort and also that the bed boards and firmer pillows did not improve the situation.

We regret also that due to all Ocean King rooms being booked, we were unable to allocate a king bed for this visit which is on a request basis only via your booking website, and as such, is noted on the site during the booking process and on your booking confirmation.

As indicated in my email to your husband, we do hope you will reconsider a return stay and give us the opportunity to reverse your current impression of our resort.

On behalf of our Sheraton Mirage team…thank you again for your review.

Warmly
Mark

Been to Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast? Share your experiences!