“Nice hotel, service could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa

You added Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   71 Seaworld Drive, Main Beach, Queensland 4215, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Main Beach
Newcastle, Australia
“Nice hotel, service could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here for just one night before a conference. I stayed in a "lagoon" room. The room was very clean & well laid out including a bendy arm for the TV, an iPod dock, and a large bath sized for two. The checkin staff were courteous and friendly. The hotel and location is stunning, with fountains, pools, and being right on the beach. The water in the hotel pool was quite warm even for winter.
When my companion and I arrived we were given directions to our room but we must have misheard and ended up in the restaurant. We asked a restaurant staff member for directions and he pointed us towards what turned out to be the back of the restaurant and a dead end. So we were walking through the restaurant with our bags in tow. Maybe his English was not so good.
I left my luggage with the hotel for the day that I was in the conference and when I came back to the desk to retrieve it there was quite a wait, in spite of the friendly reception staff member making a couple of calls to chase it. Eventually I noticed that my luggage was sitting outside in the hotel driveway and the porters were just standing around and not brining it it. I went outside to retrieve it myself.
I accidentally left something in my room and I asked at reception and left my details but apparently it was not found as I never heard anything.
In spite of the service lapses I would still consider staying here again because the hotel, rooms, layout and environs is so nice.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Senior TA Contributor

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Mirage on the evening prior to your conference. We appreciate your support in choosing our resort as your preferred accommodation for this pre-conference stay, and your post on your experience which we were pleased to note was mostly a positive one. I’m sorry though for the challenges you encountered in trying to reach your room, and for the situation with your luggage which seems to have occurred due to our communications with conference guests not being completely clear. I could well understand your post heading when reading of these service issues and apologise as these are unacceptable lapses which are being followed up by our departmental managers.

Likewise with no contact being made regarding your left property. If you could spare a moment to call my Assistant, Sharon Hartridge, on 07 5591 0873, to provide her with details of the item left behind we would be pleased to follow up with our Housekeeping team and call you straight back.

Many thanks again for your post. We hope to have the pleasure of of welcoming you back when you are next travelling our way.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
Canberra Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My niece chose this venue and was able to have a discount rate for her relatives which included breakfast and a group discount of about 30% off the normal rate. I loved the hotel, the rooms, the staff, the venue the food and the breakfast.

Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Top Contributor,

We really enjoyed your very positive post and photos of your family stay here at Sheraton Mirage for your niece’s Wedding. These are such special times and we are honoured when couples choose to celebrate such a memorable occasion at our resort with their family and friends.

It was wonderful to know you so enjoyed your time here, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next planning a visit to the Gold Coast.

Warm regards
Gippsland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here on frequent flyer points, but we were still treated like welcome paying guests. The grounds are lovely and we were fortunate with the weather. We found the staff helpful and welcoming. It is true that the driveway was closed, but there was no problem parking underground. Yes the elevator was out of service on two occasions, but on both of these staff took us up through the service lift. We had booked two rooms and late in the evening we found that the climate control was out of service, in one of them. The fault could not be corrected that evening, so my two daughters were upgraded to an ajoining room without any fuss. Unfortunately it transpired that the television was out of order in that room, but after two service calls the next day it was finally fixed. I must say that we found the staff friendly and pleasant at each contact. And my girls, all of them, enjoyed visiting with the resident Sheraton swan from the room's terrace.

I would agree with the previous reviewer, that the daily charge for movies is too steep, and we did not order these. The girls would have loved to have enjoyed a drink or a snack from the poolside bar employing the stools in the pool, but again, it was not worth the price. We did think that the seafood buffet was reasonable, although best to stick to seafood as the desserts were more for show than taste.

Finally check-out was easy. We paid cash in order to avoid the credit card surcharge, and I had to question the charge for valet parking that we had not used. But again. nothing was too much trouble for the reception staff, and everyone was most courteous to us throughout the stay. Special thanks to Oliver, who helped with our bags even though the lift was out of service, and was exceptionally friendly with his greetings whenever he met us in the resort.

Room Tip: First floor south building rooms 1057 and 1059, and presumably 1061 back onto water feature across f...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Senior Reviewer

We appreciate you taking the time to post a detailed review for your stay here at Sheraton Mirage. It was great to read you and your daughters had a lovely break, and especially to know you enjoyed the warm and friendly service of our team, and in particular Oliver, who has been recognised for his wonderful service to you.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back when you are next heading our way.

Warm wishes
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

my husband and I got married at the beach near the hotel, we went afterwards to have lunch at the Sheraton restaurant and had a beautiful buffet lunch with an extensive options of meals from salads, pasta to amazing seafood. the scenery there is just amazing, the infinity pool with the ocean on the background is breathtaking.
we stayed the night there as well in a beautiful room with a king bed and spa. we had dinner there as well and breakfast. the buffet breakfast was amaaazing!!!!!
the only let down i would say was the service, I was expecting a better customer service since this hotel is rated a 5 star.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Gabi and Phil

Thank you for posting last month on your experience here at Sheraton Mirage for your Wedding in August 2011. We are honoured you chose to not only stay with us, but also hold your Wedding Lunch in Terraces, and we are delighted you so enjoyed your stay and your Lunch.

Please accept our apologies though for you not experiencing our usual high level of service. It was very disappointing to read your comments in this regard, and unacceptable for service to be anything less than 5 star here at our resort.

The support of Gold Coast residents such as yourselves is very much appreciated and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

With warm regards
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed in the Sheraton Mirage for 3 days last month- June. We got a fantastic room, a beautiful view and very helpful staff. Especially Shari and Aaron from front desk- they were amazing! The Sheraton has an amazing location on the beach with great walks and bike rides you can take. The only discomfort was the LONG walk it took to get to our room- it was almost a ten minute walk! Otherwise we had a great stay and would definitely recommend the Sheraton Mirage to others!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Chayamushka

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Mirage as your resort of choice for your June visit to the Gold Coast, and for the time and trouble you have taken to post on this stay. We so enjoyed your wonderful review of our resort, and especially your recognition of Shari and Aaron. Your commendation has been shared with these two very fine members of our team.

Please come back and stay with us again when you are next visiting Australia!

Bribie Island, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We've stayed at the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast many times, used to be Sheraton members, but not in the past 6 or 7 yrs .
When my wife mentioned the place is being refurbished, we decided to book for a stay.

At our last stay before this one , we decided not to come back again as the place was run down , house keeping not up to standard and overpriced. The place was old and tired looking.

So, here's our review for the past weekend.

We had a phone call from the resort, the day before our stay, informing us the main driveway to the lobby was closed due to renovations and we would have to access the hotel from the carpark. Great timing this, right in the middle of school holidays.

When we got to reception our booking for the 28/6/12 was missing and after waiting 20 minutes , finally found, but apparently booked for the 26/6/12. We were basically accused of turning up at the wrong day, but after arguing that they were wrong , we were begrudgingly re-booked for the correct night. Not a good start.
The receptionist informed us we would be upgraded to a Ground floor "refurbished" room , which by the way we had originally booked anyway.

The room was a mile away form the lobby/restaurant/facilities etc. but worse was to come, access was via the 3rd floor, but the elevator was out of action and so we had to descent 6 flights of stairs to our floor, after speaking to one of the housekeepers, she mentioned the elevators had not been working for weeks. Bad start.

The Room--
We've stayed in this same room in the past and it has had some paint, curtains etc. but still looks old.
The bed was fantastic, but my pillow had a very bad chemical smell to it and was disposed of immediately. Basically the whole ground floor and room had the same smell. Very bad start.

Shopping --
Decided to go shopping across the road from the hotel and yes, climb 6 flights of stairs to the lobby to take the walkway across the road.
Same stairs on the way back.

Dinner ---
We booked for the buffet dinner, which is quite good , but not on par with other offerings at the Gold Coast,
Same stairs up, after dinner, same stairs back.

TV -- Because it was raining we stayed in our room after dinner and watch TV ( boring, but nothing else to do in this place) usual local channels, Foxtel only sport etc. but no movie channel. Movies to watch are $29.95 for 24 hrs. ridiculous in a supposedly 5 star Resort.

Breakfast---
Variation is ok, nothing special, but they have Eggs Benedict , which was a nice touch.
Same stairs up, after breakfast, same stairs back. You're getting the idea !!

Check out---
Last time !!! Same stairs up to the lobby.
On checking out, they lost our details, so I had to produce my credit card again to pay for the wine consumed with dinner.
I received a folded final account, checked the amount , ok, but when we got home , found it was a person with the same name , but different address and date. Very Inefficient !

Summary--

The Bad ---
Condescending reception staff.

Having elevators out of action for a long period of time is a joke, we're fit, but it would be impossible for elderly or even slightly disabled guests , or guests with small children. Couldn't use the outside access , because of the rain.

The place is being renovated, to a large extent, which doesn't get mentioned when booking.

Inefficient booking system, accusing your guests of booking the wrong date, whilst the hotel was clearly incorrect.

Noise and dust when breakfast was being served.

The Good ---
The bed was great,

The pool area & gardens beautiful.

The lobby area looks wonderful.

Final --
Would we stay here again, I doubt it, with all the other offerings on the Gold Coast, this place is very ordinary and certainly no longer 5 star.
Keeping in mind that for only $60.00 more, we could have stayed across the road at Versace. Truly a 5 star hotel, or if you want total entertainment without having to leave your hotel, stay at Jupiter's

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Contributor,

Our sincere apologies for your experience on your most recent stay here at Sheraton Mirage late last month. It is extremely disappointing to know that the high level of service and facilities usually enjoyed by our guests were not in place on this visit, and we truly regret your unacceptable experience.

Whilst your comments are most concerning, we always value and appreciate the gift of feedback, and thank you for the time you have taken to post this review. Our Rooms Division Manager, Charles McArthur, will be making contact with you directly to discuss your experience. I do hope you can spare the time to speak with Charlie, and to perhaps give us another chance in the future. If I can personally assist at any time, please reach out to me direct here at the resort. Thank you for your past support.

Warm regards
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here last week for 2 nights. Even though there are renovations going on it was fantastic.... Beautiful room, great staff, fantastic food ...although very over priced.... Coffee was i think $6.50 per cup & the menu by the pool expensive.... But on the whole we would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Senior TA Contributor,

Thank you for posting a review for your stay last month and for your gift of feedback. We appreciate you choosing Sheraton Mirage for your two nights on the Gold Coast, and are pleased to know that the current upgrades (now almost complete) did not disrupt your stay.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you back when you are next travelling this way.

Mark

Been to Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!